PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Archer help with Dips in Sorcerer and Paladin

Talionis
2017-09-13, 04:14 PM
I'm looking at building a Warlock who uses a Hand Crossbow as his Blade Pact Weapon. The big advantage is that the weapon is always available and can do more damage than Eldritch Blast and its just different than Eldritch Blast. Think a spy type character using the Warlock to be a good infiltrator.

Before anyone says that Blade Pacts must be melee weapons, they don't necessarily, nothing mechanically keeps a missile weapon from being a Blade Pact if its magical. Also as Unearthed Arcana came out with a MoonBow invocation for Warlocks it looks to me that the premise is sound enough for at least my DM's approval.

I'm actually trying to keep it adventure league legal (edited later)

12 Warlock/5 Sorcerer/3 Paladin

Feats: (V-Human to start with a feat) 13/16/12/8/10/15
Crossbow Expert
Sharpshooter
Actor for +1 Charisma and roleplay
ASI Stat Increases to Dex and Charisma

At level 12 I can get Life Drinker Invocation to add Charisma bonus to my damage, and Thirsting Blade gets Extra Attack.
That gets me to three attacks pretty quickly and I can get a fourth attack by using Haste.

I'm thinking the best way to get Haste is through Sorcerer 5, which also gets me metamagic. There might be a better way... Vengance Paladin can get it but it requires 9 levels of Paladin and that won't work with also getting Life Drinker invocation.

I'm strongly considering Devotion Paladin 3 for the minute/short rest of CHarisma to accuracy to help offset the Sharpshooter reduction. Its hard to do Paladin because I need to put 13 in Strength to multiclass and its a big tax for a small benefit, but I guess I also get access to some Paladin healing like Cure Wounds.

I also considered Dex Fighter for the +2 Archery, but I'm not sure what to cut still -3 accuracy to Sharpshoot and I'm not sure of great ways to make that up. Spells like Bless are nice, but they are usually Concentration.

I'd love any advice in or around this build. I like the idea of making a great non-eldritch blast Warlock Archer.... Am I missing some easier way... Paladin seems both wonderful and awful. Its also really hard to figure out how to fluff the Paladin and Warlock parts. I'm creative I can do, but maybe someone will have ideas for role play as well as mechanics.

CaptainSarathai
2017-09-13, 05:34 PM
It's a very convoluted way of getting +Cha to a ranged attack, to be honest. It's also somewhat slow and questionably legal. XBow Xpert only gives the bonus shot with an offhand weapon after hitting with your primary, so you'd need 2 xbows and then you get into the whole thing about needing to load them with a free hand, etc. It's a mess.

Honestly, this is something that a Ranger, or even an Eldritch Knight could do quite well on their own. Do you get the extra 5 damage for Charisma? No. But you could snag Hexblade for that couldn't you? (Can't honestly remember).
Archery Style is as good (probably better) than Bless for this build, especially since Paladin hardly gives you anything else useful at range. Then you have Hunter's Mark in place of Hex. So you're doing identical damage, getting it online more cleanly. You don't add Cha to damage until Lock12, and you're putting it off even longer by Multiclassing.

It's especially sad to see Sorcerer levels in there, because Sorc4, Fighter2, Lock14 would be a horrifying way to abuse Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast.
12d10+12Cha is ugly.

Chugger
2017-09-13, 06:01 PM
Not sure if warlock archer "works" as most or all pact blade features seem to require melee ... lemme go check PHB ... yes, under Pact of the Blade p107 "You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes..."

So in spite of your insistence otherwise, yes, the PHB specifically limits a blade pact weapon to a _melee_ weapon. Try another build or see if your DM will make an exception. Sorry.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-13, 06:05 PM
It's a very convoluted way of getting +Cha to a ranged attack, to be honest. It's also somewhat slow and questionably legal. XBow Xpert only gives the bonus shot with an offhand weapon after hitting with your primary, so you'd need 2 xbows and then you get into the whole thing about needing to load them with a free hand, etc. It's a mess.

Actually its doesn't have to be off hand, one handed crossbow is a 'one handed weapon' which qualifies it for both things in Xbowxpert. In any case I don't like the idea of a crossbow archer warlock. OP is right that you can have a ranged weapon be your pact blade, just has to be magical when you perform the ritual. level 3 warlock with a level wizard buddy could do this with magic weapon being cast at the same time as the ritual is performed. level 3 hexblade can do this on his own (since the ritual doesn't require concentration. ), and i would reccomend using the mos updated UA for the invocations (found in Revised class options ua)

With this in mind I propose the Longbow route. This is going to be a bit MAD but still possible if you are willing to sacrifice in some areas.

Hexblade 12/(revised)Hunter 4/Arcane Archer 4 For a very magical archer. You only need 4 invocations for the pact bow: Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker

Lets add up what you get
-3 5th level slots from the warlock
-11 spells (with some optional paladin like spells) from the warlock
-4 cantrips
-ranges smites
-Proficiency, dex, AND cha to damage as well as favored enemy bonus
- at least a +1 bow, and +1 arrows AND archery style for accuracy
-2 attacks with bow
-Natural explorer
-primeval awareness
-3 1st level ranger spells, 3 1st level slots
- your choice of hunter's prey ability
- your choice of 2 more invocations
- plenty of ASIs for stats and feats
- mystic arcanum (6th level)
-Action Surge
-Second Wind
- ANOTHER fighting style,
-Arcane shots.
-Shadow Hound
-Armor of Hexes
-possibly destructive wave (if you want)

This is all very good, when you can stack alot into 2 attacks. Bonus action curse someone Then unload Smite+Arcane shot+ +1bow +1arrow + dex + cha + proficiency + colossus slayer + favored enemy, oh then attack again. You could spend a couple turns stacking up hex +curse or curse + branding smite. oh and sharpshooter whenever you feel like it.

Edit: close quarters shooter could be taken as second fighting style. +1 bow, +1 arrow, +2 archery style, +1 close quarters shooter = 5. Offsets Sharpshooter.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-13, 06:09 PM
Not sure if warlock archer "works" as most or all pact blade features seem to require melee ... lemme go check PHB ... yes, under Pact of the Blade p107 "You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes..."

So in spite of your insistence otherwise, yes, the PHB specifically limits a blade pact weapon to a _melee_ weapon. Try another build or see if your DM will make an exception. Sorry.
Unless its a magic weapon.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact
weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold
the weapon. Vou perform the ritual over the course
of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest.

All other invocations don't require melee attacks either. just 'attacks with pact weapon', or target 'pact weapon'. works fine.

smcmike
2017-09-13, 07:47 PM
This is a cool idea. I particularly like that you took two classes tgat are clearly designed for melee weapons and spells, and used their features to boost ranged attacks.

I have to agree that it is very slow to get going, and never gets very powerful. It's still probably strong enough to bring to most tables.

Talionis
2017-09-13, 09:27 PM
This is a cool idea. I particularly like that you took two classes tgat are clearly designed for melee weapons and spells, and used their features to boost ranged attacks.

I have to agree that it is very slow to get going, and never gets very powerful. It's still probably strong enough to bring to most tables.

This was my thinking as well. The build is also Adventure League usable, which is why I left Hexblade off the list. And while I mentioned that UA Moonbow was printed, I didn't suggest it for the build only for the general proposition that Pact Blade could be a ranged weapon. I totally agree you have to either have a magical hand crossbow or have someone cas Magic Weapon on a hand crossbow. But I think it RAW works.

I wish WotC wouldf print more material and get some balanced official material.

As much as I liked the Ranged Paladin idea because it's just different, I'm not happy about 13 strength or not picking up the level 6 aura. Or having Branding Smite in my arsenal.

Randomthom
2017-09-14, 09:37 AM
All other invocations don't require melee attacks either. just 'attacks with pact weapon', or target 'pact weapon'. works fine.

I believe it was also clarified by the game developers that this reading of the rules is correct. The initial creating of the pact weapon is limited to melee but you are not likewise limited to melee for turning a magic weapon into your pact weapon.

Foff
2017-10-06, 06:20 AM
if what you want is an arcane hand crossbow shooter why not just make a mystic then? you're using UA anyway.
What Mystic can do for you:
good damage at all levels even without extra attack (potent psionics + ranged smite for 7d10 with the ability to reroll misses since you'll be greedy and use sharpshooter anyway, go big or go home!)
excellent scouting/sneaking abilities
jack of all trades, possibily master of all (breadth of knowledge and nomadic mind are stupid good)

Nomadic Arrow discipline has a makeshift ranged weapon specific haste spell which is nice, lets you deal a crapton of damage with a single shot from afar and also allows you to reroll ranged misses
Nomadic Step is just bonkers utility and mobility
Precognition gives you a bless effect which you don't even need, that's how awesome you are
Nomadic Chameleon and Precognition can be used to make you the best at ambushing and preventing ambushes for yourself and your party

you get all the things you wanted from that horrifying multiclassing mess in one flavourful package
you can also take lots and LOTS of out of combat godlike disciplines (mantle of awe, nomadic mind, telepathic contact)

all you need to do is sacrifice extra attack and either be a drow for the hand crossbow proficiency or take a feat (if having a hand crossbow absolutely needs to happen)

aand after you're all out of Psi points you still have your psychic focus and psychic talent (mind thrust and light step come to mind)

Degwerks
2017-10-06, 06:43 AM
if what you want is an arcane hand crossbow shooter why not just make a mystic then? you're using UA anyway.
What Mystic can do for you:
good damage at all levels even without extra attack (potent psionics + ranged smite for 7d10 with the ability to reroll misses since you'll be greedy and use sharpshooter anyway, go big or go home!)
excellent scouting/sneaking abilities
jack of all trades, possibily master of all (breadth of knowledge and nomadic mind are stupid good)

Nomadic Arrow discipline has a makeshift ranged weapon specific haste spell which is nice, lets you deal a crapton of damage with a single shot from afar and also allows you to reroll ranged misses
Nomadic Step is just bonkers utility and mobility
Precognition gives you a bless effect which you don't even need, that's how awesome you are
Nomadic Chameleon and Precognition can be used to make you the best at ambushing and preventing ambushes for yourself and your party

you get all the things you wanted from that horrifying multiclassing mess in one flavourful package
you can also take lots and LOTS of out of combat godlike disciplines (mantle of awe, nomadic mind, telepathic contact)

all you need to do is sacrifice extra attack and either be a drow for the hand crossbow proficiency or take a feat (if having a hand crossbow absolutely needs to happen)

aand after you're all out of Psi points you still have your psychic focus and psychic talent (mind thrust and light step come to mind)

The OP mentioned wanting to keep the build AL legal, so UA is out.

Byke
2017-10-06, 10:25 AM
If your going to make a Warlock/Archer then you should look into EK/Lock/Rogue and it's AL legal.

7 level of EK
Min of 2 Level of Lock
X Rogue.

The first 7 level you play as a straight archer with utility spells from EK. At 9th level the build really shines.

When you attack with EB and you then get an Xbow attack from EK. With EB scaling and SS + extra dam from rogue, you will have the best sustained DPS in the game.

SharkForce
2017-10-06, 02:03 PM
The OP mentioned wanting to keep the build AL legal, so UA is out.

last i heard, mystic was in the DM's guild and was allowed in AL play to encourage playtesting.

Degwerks
2017-10-06, 07:45 PM
last i heard, mystic was in the DM's guild and was allowed in AL play to encourage playtesting.

My bad then. I thought only the Revised Ranger and book stuff was allowed.

Edit: Allowed in AL that is.

bid
2017-10-06, 09:23 PM
yes, under Pact of the Blade p107 "You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes..."
Keep reading until p108... as the OP pointed out.

No, your problem is that you will be useless until a magical hand crossbow drops. Which is as good as never, if what I know of AL scenarii holds.