PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Oversized weapons

Scyrner
2017-09-13, 04:26 PM
P. 278 of the DMG explains that a monster of Large size doubles the number of weapon damage dice they roll on an attack. A Huge creature triples the weapon damage dice, etc.

A creature under the effect of Enlarge a la Enlarge/Reduce adds an extra 1d4 to the damage they deal.

Would you permit a player playing a Large size PC and wielding a weapon of suitable size to deal damage like the DMG suggests or as Enlarge/Reduce suggests, or to simply use the weapon damage dice that are listed in the tables in the PHB, despite their increased size.

Eric Diaz
2017-09-13, 04:35 PM
Large sized PC? Which race is that?

EDIT: My answer to the OP is "it depends". If you're creating your own races, you can create advantages and disadvantages due to size. It might be good if they where balanced.

RAW, small PCs deal the same damage with the same weapons, but can use fewer weapons. Maybe large PCs would be able to wield two-handed weapons with one hand?

Potato_Priest
2017-09-13, 04:39 PM
The target's weapons also grow to match its new size. While these weapons are enlarged, the target's attacks with them deal 1d4 extra damage.

The target of the spell is already wielding appropriately sized weapons, because their weapons grow as an effect of the spell. Thus, they function as the spell's description says, and deal their book listed dice + an extra d4.

Arelai
2017-09-13, 04:39 PM
For balance, it probably need to be an extra d4. If you wanna get technical, the enlarged weapons are still small weapons that are just magically enlarged, whereas normal "large" size weapons do the extra damage dice.

I think if it was a large PC, I'd just have them use normal stats-since there's no trade off. They could go full champion fighter and do 8d12's at will every turn.

However, I have a PC idea-basically an eldritch knight who turns large(uses enlarge or the mystic's gisnt growth) to gain size, then summons a giant weapon to himself. Since you need to maintain concentration, un-optimize your build to make it work, and use a full turn for set up, I feel the extra damage die is balanced.

. Shadowblade .
2017-09-13, 04:42 PM
I would double the number of weapon damage dice. (just 1d4 dmg is meh ) On the other side you should send more/stronger monsters to balance the presence of Large PC in party.

Unoriginal
2017-09-13, 04:52 PM
I would double the number of weapon damage dice. (just 1d4 dmg is meh ) On the other side you should send more/stronger monsters to balance the presence of Large PC in party.

Large isn't big enough to warrant double damage dice, I'd say.

. Shadowblade .
2017-09-13, 04:57 PM
Large isn't big enough to warrant double damage dice, I'd say.

oh, say that to Mr. Minotaur:

Greataxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

-> dmg: 2d12
---
(normal ) Greataxe - dmg 1d12

Scyrner
2017-09-13, 05:00 PM
Particularly, I'm thinking with regards to the UA Primeval Guardian Ranger, which, while under the effects of the Guardian Soul ability, becomes large, unless it was already bigger.

If the ranger's carrying around a 10ft longbow, should it count as a large weapon?

Flashy
2017-09-13, 05:05 PM
Particularly, I'm thinking with regards to the UA Primeval Guardian Ranger, which, while under the effects of the Guardian Soul ability, becomes large, unless it was already bigger.

If the ranger's carrying around a 10ft longbow, should it count as a large weapon?

No. Guardian Soul has the mechanical effects described in the ability. No others. That's (generally) the way player abilities work in 5e.

If Guardian Soul granted the player bonus damage there would be a bullet point that said so.

. Shadowblade .
2017-09-13, 05:07 PM

normal ranger can have problem to use such weapon:

A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all.

Unoriginal
2017-09-13, 05:10 PM
oh, say that to Mr. Minotaur:

Greataxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

-> dmg: 2d12
---
(normal ) Greataxe - dmg 1d12

My bad. It seems Large creatures' weapons do indeed have double damage dice.

Scyrner
2017-09-13, 05:16 PM
No. Guardian Soul has the mechanical effects described in the ability. No others. That's (generally) the way player abilities work in 5e.

If Guardian Soul granted the player bonus damage there would be a bullet point that said so.

I considered that, but on the other hand, the specific vs. general idea suggests that in that case, the specific rule, the Guardian Soul text, doesn't say that the creature doesn't benefit from the general rule, like Enlarge/Reduce does, the general rule that "large creatures use weapons that deal double damage" would apply.

normal ranger can have problem to use such weapon:

Yeah, but you can carry both weapons without too much problem and use the one that works for your size.

(Edit: I'm learning how to quote in this forum, yay me!)

Eric Diaz
2017-09-13, 05:26 PM
I considered that, but on the other hand, the specific vs. general idea suggests that in that case, the specific rule, the Guardian Soul text, doesn't say that the creature doesn't benefit from the general rule, like Enlarge/Reduce does, the general rule that "large creatures use weapons that deal double damage" would apply.

I agree it flashy here. It is the kind of thing that would be mentioned in the feature.

Arelai
2017-09-13, 05:31 PM
Guardian soul does get an extra d6 per turn though

Scyrner
2017-09-13, 05:41 PM
But, that d6 is from another feature, not as a result of being Large and using Large weapons.