PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [Intimidation Skill] How works the demoralize feature ?

Kadhel
2017-09-13, 04:43 PM
Hello !

I've searched on the forum and have seen reference to a "Fear Handbook" that isn't reachable anymore (RIP brillantgameologist).

So, I ask my question there, in hope to have an answer.

It's about the "Intimidation skill" feature : Demoralize.

If we take the rule as it is :

Intimidate (Cha)
Check
You can change another’s behavior with a successful check. Your Intimidate check is opposed by the target’s modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear). If you beat your target’s check result, you may treat the target as friendly, but only for the purpose of actions taken while it remains intimidated. (That is, the target retains its normal attitude, but will chat, advise, offer limited help, or advocate on your behalf while intimidated. See the Diplomacy skill, above, for additional details.) The effect lasts as long as the target remains in your presence, and for 1d6×10 minutes afterward. After this time, the target’s default attitude toward you shifts to unfriendly (or, if normally unfriendly, to hostile).

If you fail the check by 5 or more, the target provides you with incorrect or useless information, or otherwise frustrates your efforts.

Demoralize Opponent
You can also use Intimidate to weaken an opponent’s resolve in combat. To do so, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (see above). If you win, the target becomes shaken for 1 round. A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see you.

Action
Varies. Changing another’s behavior requires 1 minute of interaction. Intimidating an opponent in combat is a standard action.

Try Again
Optional, but not recommended because retries usually do not work. Even if the initial check succeeds, the other character can be intimidated only so far, and a retry doesn’t help. If the initial check fails, the other character has probably become more firmly resolved to resist the intimidator, and a retry is futile.

My question is : Can a "Demoralize Opponent" attempt can be made multiples times ?
If we look at the raw descriptor, "Try again" usually do not work. But it seems odd, i don't know if it applies to demoralize opponent as well.

Did someone know if, in a same combat, with demoralize opponent :

1) Multiples attempts against one enemy can be made ?
2) If a demoralize attempt can be made one round after the previous attempt failed ?
3) If a demoralize attempt can be spammed each turn on the same enemy, who has failed to resist each time ?

(any source or ref will be appreciated, if possible !)

Thanks ! :smallsmile:

Mike Miller
2017-09-13, 04:51 PM
Although not directly answering your queries, if you have the link to the handbook you can put it in the way back machine and view it.

Venger
2017-09-13, 04:59 PM
here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389244-Caedrus-Art-of-War-vol-1-Fear-Handbook)

the answer to all 3 of your questions is yes.

Kadhel
2017-09-13, 05:04 PM
Thanks !

I've not seen where in the Handbook it states about my 3 anwers, but it is really useful !

Is there any source/ref about the fact that the answer for my 3 questions is yes ? (i'm really sorry about that, but i've friends REALLY sticky on rulefacts...)

Venger
2017-09-13, 05:16 PM
Thanks !

I've not seen where in the Handbook it states about my 3 anwers, but it is really useful !

Is there any source/ref about the fact that the answer for my 3 questions is yes ? (i'm really sorry about that, but i've friends REALLY sticky on rulefacts...)
it's in the rules for intimidate.
it's on the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm) the try again section is referring to changing an enemy's attitude during rp, not demoralization during combat. you can demoralize as long as you have actions to burn.

Kadhel
2017-09-13, 05:22 PM
Thanks ! =)