PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing class for a shaman-style character.

Elric VIII
2017-09-13, 05:16 PM
I want to put together a character that has the feel of a shaman. By that I mean he can use curses or blessings to hinder enemies and aid allies. He would also have a connection to death and/or the spirit world as well as some healing ability. He would have knowledge of both the arcane and natural world.

My first thought is a lore bard with spirit guardians, revivify, commune, and contagion as my spell secrets. My inspiration and cutting words would act like minor blessings and curses. I might pick up MI on warlock for EB, Hex, and a SCAG cantrip.

My other possibility is Arcana cleric. The ability to dispel magical effects on healing or banish demons fits well with the concept, but I see a lot less debuff and control potential here. I could also emphasize the connection with death and spirits with the Death domain on in a non-evil character.

I could see potential in a Favored Soul sorcerer as well, but I have not given that one much thought yet.

How would you make this concept work?

EDIT: I will be a Lizardfolk for this character, but my DM has agreed to allow me to move my +1 Wis into Cha if I want.

Naanomi
2017-09-13, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure about the line up of mechanics, but I like warlock for my 'shaman' characters... spirit patrons and all that

Specter
2017-09-13, 05:49 PM
Be the beast, my friend.
Druid.

Naanomi
2017-09-13, 05:52 PM
Be the beast, my friend.
Druid.
Also a great option, though I'd lean land (or Shepard) instead of Moon for a shaman vibe

8wGremlin
2017-09-13, 07:30 PM
Can you ask your DM if he would allow Favoured Soul, and instead of cleric spells you can choose Druid spells.
I've done it and it's been fine so far.

if home-brew is allowed
there is this http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Byp6Mnbae

Nifft
2017-09-13, 07:33 PM
Totem Barbarian, because you have spirits at your side, and you can cast spells like Commune With Nature while still being a Barbarian.

Nature Cleric, because Nature and Cleric.

Bard (either is easy to justify).

Elric VIII
2017-09-14, 07:39 AM
I'm not too interested in druid because the spell list is a lot more blasting focused than I want. Nature cleric could work alright.

GreyBlack
2017-09-14, 08:10 AM
So a casting nature oriented class? Everyone has had great options so far but I'm curious how you feel about wading into combat.

A more War Shaman type deal (the type who communes with the spirits and leads their people into war) might work with an Oath of Ancients Paladin, mixed with Warlock or Nature Cleric to season.

dejarnjc
2017-09-14, 08:19 AM
I'm not too interested in druid because the spell list is a lot more blasting focused than I want.

Kind of confused by this statement as the druid spell list is probably the least "blast focused" behind the bard.

Regardless, I personally think druid is the most seamless fit for a shaman type character, however cleric and bard would be close 2nd/3rd.

I don't personally think that a shaman should be a CHA based class though. It probably wouldn't affect balance too badly if you just played a re-flavored bard that uses WIS for all of its features and spell casting instead of CHA.

Maxilian
2017-09-14, 08:30 AM
Hmmm a couple of options:

-Lore Bard, Reflavor the music and instrument needed as part of a shamanistic ritual.

-Barbarian: Path of the Ancestral (have the ability to commune with nature, to find animals or plants and can summon the spirits of your ancesters to help you and your party)

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

-Druid? It works well (Though not sure about moon druid)

-Warlock (Can get you everything you want, with a combination of subclass, invocation and spells)

samcifer
2017-09-14, 12:44 PM
If your dm will allow it, Dawnforged created an actual shaman class as a homebrew. You can find a video review of it on youtube. (the pdf of it needs to be purchased through their website for $3 to $5 and feels a bit like a nature warlock, but has interesting mechanics centering around using handcrafted totems you place on the ground to direct your spells through.)

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 01:29 PM
I'd consider Nature Cleric to be honest. Perhaps a Totem Warrior/Nature Cleric multiclass. (Yes yes, I know, Barbarian can't cast while raging. But you don't have to nor can you always use Rage). Besides, many spells work without having to concentrate on them.

If you want to, you could also grab Shillelagh as the extra cantrip. And no, while the spell lets you use Wisdom instead of Strength for attack and damage rolls, it doesn't mean you must. It'll still be a magical club/quarterstaff dealing 1d8 damage.

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 04:28 PM
Hmm, this thread (and my previous post) gave me an idea I might investigate further in Homebrewing subforum

Note: I'm well aware that the following build is very gimped in terms of balance for the first 9 levels compared to either Paladin or Ranger. But it's the concept as a whole that intrigues me.

"Hybrid Half-Caster" Barbarian/Cleric with shamanistic flavor

Barbarian1: Rage, Unarmored Defense
Cleric1 (1st-lvl spells): Domain Features, Spellcasting
Cleric2 (1st-lvl spells): Channel Divinity 1/rest, Domain Feature
Barbarian2: Reckless Attack, Danger Sense
Cleric3 (2nd-lvl spells): -
Barbarian3: Primal Path Features
Cleric4 (2nd-lvl spells): ASI
Barbarian4: ASI
Cleric5 (3rd-lvl spells): Destroy Undead
Barbarian5: Extra Attack, Fast Movement
Cleric6 (3rd-lvl spells): Channel Divinity 2/rest, Domain Feature
Barbarian6: Primal Path Feature
Cleric7 (4th-lvl spells):
Barbarian7: Feral Instincts
Cleric8 (4th-lvl spells): ASI, Domain Feature
Barbarian8: ASI
Cleric9 (5th-lvl spells):
Barbarian9: Brutal Critical
Cleric10 (5th-lvl spells): Divine Intervention
Barbarian10: Primal Path Feature

To elaborate, the spellcasting pattern is same as with Paladin or Ranger. Following their example, Extra Attack could be dropped to 5th level for example, and the ASI could be spread to appropriate levels (4,8,12,16,19), and set the Hit Die to d10 all the way through 1 to 20 ...but this is where it becomes a homebrew project, which I may have to tackle later (perhaps tomorrow).

Elric VIII
2017-09-14, 07:49 PM
Kind of confused by this statement as the druid spell list is probably the least "blast focused" behind the bard.

Regardless, I personally think druid is the most seamless fit for a shaman type character, however cleric and bard would be close 2nd/3rd.

I don't personally think that a shaman should be a CHA based class though. It probably wouldn't affect balance too badly if you just played a re-flavored bard that uses WIS for all of its features and spell casting instead of CHA.

Maybe it's just the druids I see in play. Lots of moonbeams, lightning, and flaming spheres seem to be thrown around.

As for the charisma thing, I was going to describe that as the aura of supernatural presence. Kind of how some characters in books are described as drawing people's gaze.

I'm still leaning toward a cleric or a bard over a druid.

Hmm, this thread (and my previous post) gave me an idea I might investigate further in Homebrewing subforum

Note: I'm well aware that the following build is very gimped in terms of balance for the first 9 levels compared to either Paladin or Ranger. But it's the concept as a whole that intrigues me.

"Hybrid Half-Caster" Barbarian/Cleric with shamanistic flavor

Barbarian1: Rage, Unarmored Defense
Cleric1 (1st-lvl spells): Domain Features, Spellcasting
Cleric2 (1st-lvl spells): Channel Divinity 1/rest, Domain Feature
Barbarian2: Reckless Attack, Danger Sense
Cleric3 (2nd-lvl spells): -
Barbarian3: Primal Path Features
Cleric4 (2nd-lvl spells): ASI
Barbarian4: ASI
Cleric5 (3rd-lvl spells): Destroy Undead
Barbarian5: Extra Attack, Fast Movement
Cleric6 (3rd-lvl spells): Channel Divinity 2/rest, Domain Feature
Barbarian6: Primal Path Feature
Cleric7 (4th-lvl spells):
Barbarian7: Feral Instincts
Cleric8 (4th-lvl spells): ASI, Domain Feature
Barbarian8: ASI
Cleric9 (5th-lvl spells):
Barbarian9: Brutal Critical
Cleric10 (5th-lvl spells): Divine Intervention
Barbarian10: Primal Path Feature

To elaborate, the spellcasting pattern is same as with Paladin or Ranger. Following their example, Extra Attack could be dropped to 5th level for example, and the ASI could be spread to appropriate levels (4,8,12,16,19), and set the Hit Die to d10 all the way through 1 to 20 ...but this is where it becomes a homebrew project, which I may have to tackle later (perhaps tomorrow).

I have always wanted to try a build that makes use of rage with non concentration spells. Spiritual Weapon is a big one. There is definitely potential there.

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 10:28 PM
By the way, did you know that originally, when bard was a Kit instead of class, they drew their spells from the same (or at least similar) list as the druids?

Both Lore and Valor bards could work well as a shaman with this kept in mind. Even now, in 5th edition, Bards share many spells with druids. If you limited your chosen spells as a bard to those listed in both classes' lists you could make quite decent "shaman" with either College. A Lore Bard could even pick Shillelagh as one of his/her additional magical secrets at 6th level to further cement this concept.
Also, while bards can use musical instruments instead of material components, you don't have to. You can always opt to use Spell Component pouch instead.

SpamCreateWater
2017-09-15, 12:17 AM
5e's Prestige Class Rune Scribe seems to mesh well with a "Master of the 4 Elements" Shaman. Not a witch doctor shaman.
It can be found in the Unearthed Arcana - Prestige Classes and Rune Magic document.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-15, 01:24 PM
Either Nature cleric or Ancestral Guardians Barbarian would be my choice.

Elric VIII
2017-09-15, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Nature cleric and take thorn whip.

JeffreyGator
2017-09-15, 09:12 PM
By the way, did you know that originally, when bard was a Kit instead of class, they drew their spells from the same (or at least similar) list as the druids?

Or you mean when it was a tertiary class after fighter and thief available only to humans and you had to have pretty amazing stats? I think it was right before the psionics section.