PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Please help me with my female chaotic evil Bardblade build

Lady Alysha
2017-09-13, 07:39 PM
I am currently building a bard. Can you please help me select some feats? We will be level 20 and LA +3 buyoff is allowed. All books are allowed. This is what I have so far:

She will have the Unseelie Fey template. Since it is cheesie for LA 0, I have agreed with the DM that it will be LA +2. I am taking the Winterchill feature. Since she is an Unseelie Fey, she will be Chaotic Evil, which is something I actually like. Being chaotic, she will have many different ways of dealing with enemies: the pacifist/luring way using diplomacy and fascinate/suggestion, summon monsters to fight for her or going head to head on melee.

Her race will be Chaos Gnome, mainly for the extra Charisma and because it fits her being chaotic.

She will be 16 Bard and 4 Warblade. She will take the alternate bardic lass feature of Bardic Nack.

I will be allowed to take two flaws. She will have someone cast Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos on her. Eberron Campaign Setting allows to trade bardic music for new bardic music feats. And these two spells allow changing any feat for any other feat (she qualifies for). So these are the feats I have come up with so far:

Combat Expertise - I am taking this one because it opens up other feats, should I cast Heroics on myself to temporarily grant me for an encounter a Fighter feat. As I said, I like to play chaotic and try new things out.
Combat Reflexes - this one is for Robilard's Gambit
Flyby Attack - I can use this with Greater Insightful Strike to deliver a single, but relatively powerful attack, while still moving away from the enemy afterwards.
Snowflake Wardance
Item Familiar
Song of the Heart
Versatile Performer
Trickery Devotion - for the fun
Lyric Spell
Trivial Knowledge? - acceptable with Knowledge Devotion
Knowledge Devotion? - okish, but not great. I don't need better to hit, with Snowflake and Slippers of Battledancing. I also don't really need better damage with Slippers and Guantlets of Heartfelt blows, as well as Greater Insightful Strike Maneuver. But I didn't find any better ones to fill these two slots and I felt that it kind of went well with the character.
Combat Panache
Imperious Command
Robilar's Gambit - I can use it with Greater Mirror Image and Greater Blink and take the enemies' attacks. And I can use it also with Trickery Devotion's simulacrum

So I still have one feat left. Which one should I take? I have thought about Doomspeak, but that would be kind of redundant with my Unseelie Fey's Winterchill, wouldn't it?

(As of the Warblade maneuvers, I am taking Moment of Perfect Mind, Action before Thought, Mind over body and Greater Insightful Strike. Together with a ring of Undersong, I can use my Perform Weapon Drill check as a save and as damage.)

Venger
2017-09-13, 08:43 PM
Is there a reason you're sticking with vanilla bard and not taking a prestige class to advance your casting instead? If you care about music, there are a couple out there that are bard friendly.

as ever with an initiator, if you don't know what to do with a free feat slot, you can't go wrong using it on martial stance or study late in the build to grab something high level and strong.

if you take a white raven maneuver as your fifth one, you might also consider song of the white raven, which is a perfect fit on a bardblade

Lady Alysha
2017-09-14, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the response.

The reason I am sticking with vanilla Bard is the Bardic Nack alternate class feature: with 16 bard levels, it allows me to have 8 skill points on all skills. I love to be a skill monkey and it is quite handy for Knowledge Devotion and for Iaijutsu Focus (using a Gnome Quickrazor). So basically it is more skill versatility with Bardic Nack vs. more spells with Sublime Chord.

Factotum is possibly a better skill monkey and jack of all trades, but I just love bards for their charm (while a factotum is more of a smartass). I guess I also love bards because this is what I first played with, back in the days of the Commodore 64 The Bard's Tale. It's kind of an obsession for me.

I am thinking of taking Haunting Melody. It would reinforce that she is a bard and together with Imperious Command, Never Outnumbered skill trick and the possibility that Combat Panache gives of demoralizing as a move action, I think it could make a nice towards fear stacking. Haunting Melody would be great if it could ride for free on top of another bardic music effect, but my DM is ruling that it is a bardic music effect on its own and it requires a standard action to activate.

I have also thought about the Gnome alternate class feature of Phantasmal Song. The fear effect is stronger, although its duration is shorter. But I don't like giving up Suggestion, which is one of the key aspects of my character (seducing others into doing things for you).

Is there a way of getting Suggestion back (other than with the spell)? Is Haunting Melody worth it?

Another maneuver is always good, but I am taking the third Warblade level anyway at level 19, which is enough to get me Greater Insightful Strike. And the problem about Warblade is that they can only ready a few maneuvers (four at fourth level) and I already have them assigned to the Diamond Mind maneuvers which allow me to do a peform check (with undersong) instead of my saves and damage). "Fireball flying in your way. I split it in half!". I like the idea of a charming, but yet deviuous bard who uses perform in combat. She is dancing and spinning around, doing damage equal to twice her perform check and she can block spells with her sword using perform: weapon drill. I think it's quite solid and very attractive visually (I am not saying that it is the best, I am not trying to completely optimize).