PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item: The Plane Seed

gareth
2007-08-13, 06:56 AM
Introduction
I've been mulling over the Genesis spell, which allows a character to create a demiplane to his own design. It's a fascinating concept, but it's prone to abuse, vaguely worded, and not even updated for edition 3.5, except for the psychic version. So here's my approach. Please excuse any errors, as I'm working entirely from web resources: I don't even own the core books.

The Plane Seed
This magic item is an indestructable transparent sphere six inches in diameter. It's the material component for a Level 9 Wizard/Sorceror spell: Genesis. To perform the spell one must travel to the Ethereal Plane, hold the Seed in one's bare hand, and speak the verbal component of the spell. Razor-sharp spines erupt from the Seed, piercing the caster's skin and inflicting 1d12 points of nonlethal damage. Any effect which prevents this damage also prevents the spell from working. The sphere becomes slick with the caster's blood, which spreads to cover it evenly and is then absorbed inside. The Seed begins to grow, slowly at first but then faster and faster until it seems to explode in the caster's face - and suddenly he's inside the demiplane created by the spell.

The Demiplane
The damage to the caster's hand was not an arbitrary trial but rather a scanning process, to determine the characteristics of the demiplane. Subject to some constraints the spell builds the perfect living environment for the caster, one he can survive in forever without any harm.
Constraints: The demiplane is always a perfect sphere 1 mile in radius. Rock and soil form a hollow shell on the inner surface of varying thickness, with gravity acting outwards at normal strength. A minature sun floats in the center. Time always behaves the same on the demiplane as the material plane.
Geography:The arrangement of rock and soil and water replicates a real environment on the material plane, whether desert, meadow, swamp, or whatever. This environment is the one the caster is most suited to - usually where he spent most of his childhood. The exact details of the geography are designed by the DM - the caster has no control over them. For subterranean races the rock layer is particularly thick and honeycombed with tunnels and caverns.
Biology:The demiplanes contains animals and plants consistent with the real environment. Dead animals and plants are not replaced. Food and water from the demiplane itself may not be sufficient to support the caster.
Alignment:The alignment of the caster is embedded in the demiplane, making it hostile to those with opposing alignments. Any character with an alignment opposite to the caster on one or two axes takes a -2 penalty on Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom-based checks while inside the demiplane. Spells with an alignment opposite the caster's behave as if they are one level higher.
Other Characteristics: All other characteristics are identical to the material plane.

Commentary
My main idea is that the demiplane is determined by the background of the character but not controlled by him, eliminating most of the silly applications while giving him an excellent sanctuary from his enemies. It's far larger than the demiplane from the old spell, to make up for the restrictions and make the environment more viable. I'd appreciate any feedback you have on this.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-13, 07:13 AM
Ooooooh, would make an awesome BBEG's 'emergency lair.'

A nice spell, certantly unique... How do people get these Plane Seeds though? Seems like it would be awfully difficult to craft. :smalltongue:

Triaxx
2007-08-13, 08:47 AM
Along with that, how do you enter and exit such a place? With a spell-like ability, or a Planeshift spell? Or is there some other method.

TheLogman
2007-08-13, 09:01 AM
Spells with alignment opposed to the casters are treated one level higher?

Although the spell is fair enough, I just kinda prefer the version that allows manipulation of the Geography, allowing the caster to make whatever he wanted, however, the Organisms are an exceptionally good addition. I also like the 1 mile Sphere, which is better than the slow-growing version.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-13, 12:16 PM
It certainly intrigues me - though I agree that making/finding one of these things would be really hard.

Unless you need to plant a plane seed to grow a plane tree which would release more plane seeds in the summer?

Also, this would be interesting for an ascension campaign. Characters discover that the gods forged the planes from one massive seed, and the remaining ones are merely teeny shards of the original?

Grug
2007-08-13, 01:21 PM
Cooooooool. I have to use that for my BBeG.

However, you saeem to be contradicting yourself. First you say the seed makes an environment in which the caster can use to survive in Indefinitely, while later you say the edible plants and animals may not be able to support the caster.

gareth
2007-08-13, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I see this as a very rare magic item, crafted by far more powerful magic users than the ones who can use it. You can get to the demiplane with a Planeshift spell, or any other method of plane travel that doesn't have a specific target. Spells of opposing alignment are one level higher to make them more difficult to cast, the effect of the spell is the same. Alternatively, I could swipe the rules from a Cania session I've read and require a caster level check against 10+spell level before the spell can be used. As for survival, that is a bit unclear. Giving a continual supply of food and drink seems too much, so it's just a completely benign environment. Even the lighting is adjusted so that light-sensitive races aren't dazzled.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-13, 05:12 PM
1) Cool idea; I like the concept of creating demiplanes. I also like that it attempts to reduce obvious planar cheese.

2) It seems as if it would be better if this spell worked on any transitive plane; I don't see any problem with including the Astral & Shadow planes.

3) A caster lever/cost would be nice.

4) The spell slot cost stipulation could be more clear. I understand what you mean, but this could be clarified.

Xefas
2007-08-13, 05:29 PM
3) A caster lever/cost would be nice.

Wouldn't it just be a use-activated item? Like a potion? 9 x 17 x 50 would make it...7650gp? Not exactly climactic, but whatever.

----

Anyways, I think unlimited food/water for the caster wouldnt exactly be overpowered, considering there are many lower level spells that create food/water easily, and a measily 2,500gp Ring of Sustenance means he doesn't need either anyway.

gareth
2007-08-14, 05:47 AM
OK, I now understand the problem with the effect on magic. Let's just say casting a spell with an alignment opposite to the caster who created the demiplane requires a Spellcraft check first.