PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on Tortle Race?

Butler2102
2017-09-13, 11:38 PM
Hey, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Chris Perkins revealed that the Tortle Package will be released on Friday (okay, I was going to link it here, but I need more posts before doing so
...). Who wants to take a stab at guessing what its features will be?

I'm hoping for another +2 Wisdom race. I think +1 Constitution would make sense as well. I've not been in the D&D scene long enough to know what features Tortles have had historically, but I'll guess they'll get either an unarmored defense like Lizardfolk (VGM) or a flat +1 to AC like Warforged (UA). For some reason, perhaps my perception of them being calm and collected, I could imagine something along the lines of advantage on Concentration checks, but I don't find that likely for the actual release.

What about you all? What do you hope for? What do you think will actually happen?

Naanomi
2017-09-13, 11:45 PM
I'd guess a CON race... I don't know why people think tortoises are wise and peaceful people; I have two, and they are jerks!

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-09-14, 12:00 AM
For what it's worth, way back in AD&D, in "Characters of the Savage Coast" (which was a reprint of the Red Steel PHB section, to the best of my knowledge), Tortles had the following traits:

Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Con, +1 Wis, -2 Dex
Ability Score Ranges: Strength 6/18, Dexterity 3/18, Constitution 6/18, Intelligence 3/18, Wisdom 3/18, Charisma 3/18
Class & Level Limits: Fighter (11), Wizard (9), Cleric (15), Thief (9), Bard (9), Fighter/Cleric
Wizard Specialties Available: Mage, Abjurer, Conjurer, Diviner, Water Elementalist
Infravision 60 feet
Underwater vision 60 feet
Gain Swimming NWP for free
Can hold breath for 10 turns
Can't use armor, but natural AC is 3
As a full-round action, can withdraw into shell; this lowers AC to 1, grants a +4 to all saving throws, and grants immunity to gaze attacks, but makes the tortle immobile until it exits its shell

Findulidas
2017-09-14, 12:57 AM
As long as they dont give every new race nightvision then Im fine. Its annoying how you set up these spells like light and have rules for light but 90% of your parties are races with darkvision.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-14, 02:33 AM
As long as they dont give every new race nightvision then Im fine. Its annoying how you set up these spells like light and have rules for light but 90% of your parties are races with darkvision.

I'm playing what's effectively a Half-Dragon Paladin, with some Celestial Patron Warlock. I plan on using the Light cantrip I got for free if the situation calls for it, even though they have Devil's Sight and wouldn't really need it.

Besides, even the races with Darkvision benefit from having a light source, since they should have Disadvantage on rolls to see anything in darkness.
Which counts as 'dim light' out to their radius.

Hrugner
2017-09-14, 02:45 AM
I guess a wis+2, amphibious, swim speed 30 land speed 25, natural armor AC 13+con. Subraces being a con/defensive and a strength/gimmick.

Unoriginal
2017-09-14, 05:37 AM
I'm expecting a lot of jokes involving monks and pizzas.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-14, 06:42 AM
I'm expecting a lot of jokes involving monks and pizzas.

And a Were-Rat teacher?

Unoriginal
2017-09-14, 07:06 AM
And a Were-Rat teacher?

"Remember, my sons, an enemy that surrender is an enemy that doesn't fight back the finishing blow."

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can win, cheat."

"Don't forget, honor is like gold: your opponents might have it, their corpses once you've killed them don't."