PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls of Wish to steal stuff?

sorcererlover
2017-09-14, 07:04 AM
If an item is like 100kgp, and scroll of wish is like, 30k, why shouldn't I just buy a scroll of wish, leave town, and use it to steal the 100kgp item? None of the shopkeepers should expect this kind of trickery so they should be ill-prepared to deal with it.

Talverin
2017-09-14, 07:10 AM
What spell would you simulate to steal the item?

Alternatively, assuming you just wish the item to you, nothing says it'll be a perfect theft. The item may slowly float to you from the store, crashing its' way out of the display case and slowly hovering, very obviously, straight to you.

Also, if the shopkeeper is high enough level to make scrolls of wish and 100k+ items, then he probably has other things set up. Dimensional Anchor spells on the store would be the easy and obvious one. Can't teleport it out. Alarm spells on all the major items. Something similar to a 'Bookplate of Recall', letting the owner simply summon the expensive items back to him if he hadn't given them up willingly and returned the item, etc.

Remember, the greatest counter to attempts to cheese the system is normally the DM.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-09-14, 07:20 AM
I suggest you try it out. Get a scroll of wish and ask for the entire hoard of the 3rd richest red dragon in the world to be teleported directly to your location. (Why not the single richest? Because it's probably some sort of living legend with 15 levels in sorcerer and an army of telepathic bats.)

It's a clever scheme. A good DM will find a way to patch this hole before it becomes your standard operation procedure, but the same good DM will be able to do something cool with it happening ones.

sorcererlover
2017-09-14, 07:38 AM

Alternatively, assuming you just wish the item to you, nothing says it'll be a perfect theft. The item may slowly float to you from the store, crashing its' way out of the display case and slowly hovering, very obviously, straight to you.

Also, if the shopkeeper is high enough level to make scrolls of wish and 100k+ items, then he probably has other things set up. Dimensional Anchor spells on the store would be the easy and obvious one. Can't teleport it out. Alarm spells on all the major items. Something similar to a 'Bookplate of Recall', letting the owner simply summon the expensive items back to him if he hadn't given them up willingly and returned the item, etc.

Remember, the greatest counter to attempts to cheese the system is normally the DM.

"Transport travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions."

Normally creatures =/= items, but this is wish we're talking about, a spell that specifically says you can change parts of its rule at will as long as its within the power level of these rules, or slightly stronger. So wish can defacto teleport an item from anywhere in the world to you regardless of dead magic or dimensional barriers. The only countermeasure that would work is if the item had some sort of tracking magic on it. I am not familiar with the bookplate of recall.

I suggest you try it out. Get a scroll of wish and ask for the entire hoard of the 3rd richest red dragon in the world to be teleported directly to your location. (Why not the single richest? Because it's probably some sort of living legend with 15 levels in sorcerer and an army of telepathic bats.)

It's a clever scheme. A good DM will find a way to patch this hole before it becomes your standard operation procedure, but the same good DM will be able to do something cool with it happening ones.

I'm not stealing the entire hoard! He'll come and hunt me and find me for sure. I was thinking more like using scroll of wish as a ceiling for item prices. Once an item goes over the wish's cost, you just buy the wish scroll.

weckar
2017-09-14, 08:04 AM

Wish actually circumvents dimensional anchors.

Crake
2017-09-14, 08:22 AM
If you're stealing something worth 100k, chances are the person you're stealing from will be able to use discern location (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernLocation.htm) to find it. Arguably, mind blank would stop discern location when cast on an attended object, but that's not entirely RAW, since the spell would be targetting the object, not the creature, and mind blank only affects the creature, with no clause saying it's effects extend to gear.

Psyren
2017-09-14, 09:12 AM
"Transport travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions."

Normally creatures =/= items, but this is wish we're talking about, a spell that specifically says you can change parts of its rule at will as long as its within the power level of these rules, or slightly stronger.

Actually, Wish doesn't specifically say that. Limited Wish has that line, but not Wish itself. Wish accomplishes what it says it does safely, and anything beyond the safe effects is up to your GM. You can of course use Wish to duplicate Limited Wish safely, but then you lose "Transport Travelers" and must duplicate a spell instead.

Even if you could extrapolate like this, it relies on a quite a logic leap - that moving items and creatures are equivalent in power. But we have reason to believe this is not the case, because Teleport Object is two spell levels higher than Teleport. So your GM could reasonably conclude that applying "transport travelers" to items falls outside the safe use.

weckar
2017-09-14, 10:14 AM
Actually, Wish doesn't specifically say that. Limited Wish has that line, but not Wish itself. Wish accomplishes what it says it does safely, and anything beyond the safe effects is up to your GM. You can of course use Wish to duplicate Limited Wish safely, but then you lose "Transport Travelers" and must duplicate a spell instead.

Even if you could extrapolate like this, it relies on a quite a logic leap - that moving items and creatures are equivalent in power. But we have reason to believe this is not the case, because Teleport Object is two spell levels higher than Teleport. So your GM could reasonably conclude that applying "transport travelers" to items falls outside the safe use.The SRD version of Wish does indeed have that line.
Transport travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.

Psyren
2017-09-14, 10:21 AM
The SRD version of Wish does indeed have that line.

That's not the line I meant. I meant this:

Normally creatures =/= items, but this is wish we're talking about, a spell that specifically says you can change parts of its rule at will as long as its within the power level of these rules, or slightly stronger.

Wish doesn't say that anywhere. He appears to be referring to this line from limited wish:

Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw.

Which Wish does not have - and even if it did, as I demonstrated, we have reason to believe that "Transport Objects" would indeed be a higher power level than "Transport Travelers."

Zanos
2017-09-14, 05:13 PM
Transporting items is not on the list of effects wish can generate safely. It's up to your DM.

You could use wish to abduct level 10s and kill them for their loot, though.