PDA

View Full Version : Player Help ToA - What classes would you recommend?

INDYSTAR188
2017-09-14, 07:29 AM
My players and I are still midway through Out of the Abyss but I recently picked up ToA and we're all really excited for it. I am determined to finish our current module before transitioning but that gives us lots of time to work out what houserules and other stuff to use beforehand.

In our games (we have two relatively nOOb players) the consensus is that as DM I will make a recommended 4-character party with the understanding being these are the four class/race combinations that go well with the adventure in theme and ability. The players are then free to choose one of those roles to make their character or not, depending on if it peaks their interest.

I'm interested in hearing what your thoughts are. I'm leaning towards recommending the following:
- Oath of the Ancients Paladin <-- I know one player wants to be a Paladin already, so this is a pretty firm recommendation

- Lore Bard or Land Druid or Nature Cleric <-- I have a player who loves to play a 'supporting' role, he is currently playing an Arcana Cleric so I'd imagine he'd prefer a different class but you never know

- Thief (or Arcane Trickster) Rogue or Revised Ranger

- Archfey Warlock or Wizard

***EDIT*** I would also be interested to hear what houserules you would use for this adventure and how you would start the characters (level, equipment, magic items, feats)?

Lolzyking
2017-09-14, 08:05 AM
I would have them play ddal 7-1 first then have them meat the quest NYC in chult and start the timer there, it gives the players some breathing room to enjoy chult

INDYSTAR188
2017-09-14, 10:41 AM
I would have them play ddal 7-1 first then have them meat the quest NYC in chult and start the timer there, it gives the players some breathing room to enjoy chult

That's good advice, there seems to be a lot of fun stuff to do in Chult to level quickly too. I wonder if they actually need the nature theme I went with in the OP since they hire guides?