PDA

View Full Version : Help me create a Combat Medic

DizzyWood
2017-09-14, 10:06 AM
So a while back my husband was talking about the type of class he would LIKE to play and we came up with a great idea. The only problem is we are both useless at home brew so I was hoping you nice playgrounders could help me out.

This class as we envision it would be a half or 1/3 caster, med armor, Int based and require a decent dex for use with finesse weapons.
In combat we envision the CM being kind of low damage actually but his attack would have some fun an interesting riders. The idea that the Medic would use its knowledge of anatomy to wound creatures in very specific ways. So things like reducing movement, disarming, stun for a round, things like that. Obviously these could not all come on line at once. The other big thing for during combat would be Staunch (please suggest a better name). Staunch would be the ability to not heal but reduce recently taken damage aka staunch the bleeding.

In our head Staunch would work something like this. Any ally that has received damage since then end of your last turn can benefit from this action. You move to that ally to preform first aid make (some sort of roll) to negate up to 1/2 the damage taken. I know this part is weird but it sounds like a fun useful mechanic.

The spell list would be healing magic and some buffs I was thinking a mix of cleric and wizard. With some beefed up none magical healing thrown in. For example if the medic applies a healing potion out of combat you get +1 d4 HP. More and better used of the Healing Kit ect.

So that is what we have so far and I would love some help with this!

EDIT/Update Several people are suggesting and a multi-class but that is missing the feeling for me. I also dislike multi-classing in general and would I like to create something original here.

Arenabait
2017-09-14, 10:12 AM
So... A Healing/Buff focused Lore bard with a life cleric dip? Because that is literally the best healer that 5e has to offer, and it comes with proficiency in all armor, healing spells out the wazoo, and more buffs and debuffs than you can shake a stick at.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-14, 10:12 AM
So a while back my husband was talking about the type of class he would LIKE to play and we came up with a great idea. The only problem is we are both useless at home brew so I was hoping you nice playgrounders could help me out.

This class as we envision it would be a half or 1/3 caster, med armor, Int based and require a decent dex for use with finesse weapons.
In combat we envision the CM being kind of low damage actually but his attack would have some fun an interesting riders. The idea that the Medic would use its knowledge of anatomy to wound creatures in very specific ways. So things like reducing movement, disarming, stun for a round, things like that. Obviously these could not all come on line at once. The other big thing for during combat would be Staunch (please suggest a better name). Staunch would be the ability to not heal but reduce recently taken damage aka staunch the bleeding.

In our head Staunch would work something like this. Any ally that has received damage since then end of your last turn can benefit from this action. You move to that ally to preform first aid make (some sort of roll) to negate up to 1/2 the damage taken. I know this part is weird but it sounds like a fun useful mechanic.

The spell list would be healing magic and some buffs I was thinking a mix of cleric and wizard. With some beefed up none magical healing thrown in. For example if the medic applies a healing potion out of combat you get +1 d4 HP. More and better used of the Healing Kit ect.

Cool idea, I'm also useless in homebrew but best of luck

DizzyWood
2017-09-14, 10:17 AM
So... A Healing/Buff focused Lore bard with a life cleric dip? Because that is literally the best healer that 5e has to offer, and it comes with proficiency in all armor, healing spells out the wazoo, and more buffs and debuffs than you can shake a stick at.

So I looked at that and it would be simple to re-flavor but

1. I hate multi-classing with a burning passion. I also have particular reason to hate it but I just do.

2. That doesn't feel quite right. We are more looking for an army field medic type.

Innocent_bystan
2017-09-14, 10:20 AM
This sounds like a fighter/bard multiclass.

Medium armor check
Manouvers check if battlemaster
Out of combat healing check (song of rest)
Buff and debuff spells check
Half caster check because of multiclass
Healing spells check

That leaves the staunch action. Which is the same as bestowing Resistance to someone else. Modify the cantrip to do just that? It is a bit underpowered at the moment.

Not every concept needs a Homebrew. You do a lot within the existing framework by multiclassing and refluffing.

Even a plain old Life Cleric, without the religious angle, is pretty close to the concept you are describing.

Specter
2017-09-14, 10:21 AM
What you want is a Thief Rogue with the Healer feat. Use your bonus action to patch people and your action to sneak attack (which is kind of a 'pressure points' kind of approach).

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 10:57 AM
What you want is a Thief Rogue with the Healer feat. Use your bonus action to patch people and your action to sneak attack (which is kind of a 'pressure points' kind of approach).

Not every DM is going to let that work, though. Mine doesn't, for example.

Randomthom
2017-09-14, 11:00 AM

Arcane Trickster seems like the immediate starting point. Probably merged with Cleric, Paladin or Bard.

AT gives you the Improved Mage Hand so you can do things like using healing kits at 30ft. You can also dash, disengage and hide as a bonus action which means you're ultra-mobile. Obviously the Healer feat ties in nicely with Healing Kits so grab both.

Looking at a level 10 build, 3 Rogue (AT) then into 7 Bard (CoL) on a VHuman with the Hermit background nets you 11 Proficient Skills and 2 Tools* (4 with Expertise) and 1 feat (Healer being the obvious choice).
*Tools are Thieves tools and Herbalists Tools.
I'd suggest choosing Nature & Survival as two of those skills so you can forage for wild ingredients to make potions etc.

I'd suggest not going down the Int route though as it doesn't synergise well. Charisma nets you the biggest gains.

Spells Known: By level 10 in this build you'll have 6 cantrips, 3 Level 1 spells from AT (2 illu/ench, 1 other), and 10 spells known from Bard list levels 1-4. Cure Wounds, Restoration, Healing Word are all there. You also have 2 spells from any other list up to level 3. Aura of Vitality is a must here, Misty Step is a good pick for the versatility or Revivify for a low-level resurrection (provided you're quick about it).

Essentially, what I'm saying is that I think you can build what you're thinking of already within the system. That's not to say don't homebrew. Just don't discount the versatility that is already present.

DizzyWood
2017-09-14, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys while multi-class WOULD work I feel it would miss the point. Home brew would give a chance to put some fun twists and spins on it and make it unique.

Also RE: resistance that has to be cast before hand right? That seems silly to refluf as a post-damage action

Biggstick
2017-09-14, 01:43 PM

Wait a minute, your DM doesn't let a Thief use their bonus action on the Use an Object action, as per described specifically in the archetype?

Is there a specific reason the DM disallows This? If this is disallowed, you expect a homebrewwed class to have a better reception?

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 02:41 PM
Wait a minute, your DM doesn't let a Thief use their bonus action on the Use an Object action, as per described specifically in the archetype?

Is there a specific reason the DM disallows This? If this is disallowed, you expect a homebrewwed class to have a better reception?

My DM doesn't agree that using a Healing Kit to cure hit points would be possible with the Use an Object option of Fast Hands Bonus action. I believe his reasoning is that applying bandages and whatnot isn't plausible as such an action.

By all means, if someone can prove it is possible RAW, please do. I'm a bit on the fence on this one.

DizzyWood
2017-09-14, 02:45 PM

I wouldn't allow it with a healing kit that isn't a single action at all it is several actions to bind up a wound

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-14, 03:06 PM
By all means, if someone can prove it is possible RAW, please do. I'm a bit on the fence on this one.

It's easy to prove.
Use an Object is an Action.
An Healing Kit is an object.
Using a Healing Kit is a function of using an object, and as such it's an Action.
Fast Hands allows you to do it as a Bonus Action.

That's the RAW. That's also the RAI. That's also JC's ruling. (https://twitter.com/edge2054/status/525695408262381569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sageadvice.eu%2F2014%2F1 1%2F04%2Fhealing-kit-and-potions%2F)

@mikemearls @JeremyECrawford Can a thief with the healer feat use healing kits as a bonus action? Can it drink potions as a bonus action?

@edge2054 @mikemearls Yes, a thief could use a healer's kit as a bonus action. But the DMG clarifies that magic item use is its own thing.

What your DM rules overrides anything in the book(s), but the RAW, the RAI, the Sage's ruling, common sense, and RAF all say that it's possible.

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 03:12 PM
It's easy to prove.
Use an Object is an Action.
An Healing Kit is an object.
Using a Healing Kit is a function of using an object, and as such it's an Action.
Fast Hands allows you to do it as a Bonus Action.

That's the RAW. That's also the RAI. That's also JC's ruling. (https://twitter.com/edge2054/status/525695408262381569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sageadvice.eu%2F2014%2F1 1%2F04%2Fhealing-kit-and-potions%2F)

--snip--

What your DM rules overrides anything in the book(s), but the RAW, the RAI, the Sage's ruling, common sense, and RAF all say that it's possible.

Thank you, I'll show all that to my DM. Let's see if that doesn't change his mind. He generally tends to accept the designers' rulings (unlike some people around here; not naming anyone, just a general observation).

Though sometimes I'm not sure if he really understands the meaning of RAF or even common sense.

Rebonack
2017-09-14, 04:14 PM

What, sneak attacks?

Or using the Thief's clever hands class feature to do what it's supposed to do?

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 04:21 PM
What, sneak attacks?

Or using the Thief's clever hands class feature to do what it's supposed to do?

No, not sneak attacks.
As you can see above, I meant Thief's Fast Hands.

Degwerks
2017-09-14, 04:25 PM
Take the Arcane Trickster class and switch out the spell list for the paladin spells except none of the Smite spells. You gain cantrips of Spare the Dying, Mage Hand, Vigor, Message, Presidigitation, Light, Create Bonfire, Mold Earth and Vicious Mockery (being in the military you learn some choice insults). You get 3 of these cantrips and the rest are choices you can take using the Arcane Trickster table.

Use Int as casting stat. Rogue weapon and armor prof and skills.

Change the rogue skills & expertise at 1st level to: You gain prof in medicine and herbalism kits and healer kits; you gain expertise in these instead of your normal expertise choices at 1st level.

You lose 1st & 3rd & 5th & 7th level sneak attack. You start normal progression as a 1st level rogue at 9th level for number of dice. Max 5d6 at 17th level.

You gain Healer feat at 1st level.

Cunning Action changes to only Dash or Disengage as bonus action. No Hide ability.

You gain Song of Rest & Font of Inspiration from Bard at 5th level.

Bardic Inspiration at 3rd level

New ability: Staunch Support at 3rd level; acts just like Cutting Words & Combat Inspiration from Bard, only it can't change an enemies ability check.

At 7th level you gain Combat Healing: When you cast Vicious Mockery, a healing spell or Restoration type spell you can make a weapon attack as a bonus action.

You lose Evasion at 7th.

You lose Blindsense at 11th. You can now add your Int mod to damage on weapon attacks.

You lose Elusive at 18th. You regain Evasion.

This is all I got. Make some changes.

Citan
2017-09-14, 05:08 PM

EDIT/Update Several people are suggesting and a multi-class but that is missing the feeling for me. I also dislike multi-classing in general and would I like to create something original here.
Honestly?

I don't think doing this on a "proper custom class" would be that hard.
I'd say, basically, pick the Eldricht Knight as is then...

1. Open spell selection to every healing/buff/single-target debuff, otherwise said, define a custom, tailored spellist to learn from.
(~30mn of time to make a 2-pass reflexion on spells to include). And give it 5 starting known spells so player has a bit of more space. Plus ability to ritual cast and, maybe (or maybe not?) learn extra rituals from the spellist. ;)

2. Define your "Manoeuvers" and either:
- make them REPLACE weapon attacks (meaning, you still make an "attack" but you don't deal damage) with two limits: 1/turn, cannot be used on bonus action. IF you want to make it permanent, free abilities...
- OR consume spellcasting fuel and then make it behave like Manoeuver (apply effect in addition to the usual result of the attack).

3. As for Staunch, if you want it to be a free and permanent ability, make it scalable but on a slow curve, like...
- Manoeuver dice (1d4 > 1d6 > 1d8 etc)
- 1d4+proficiency.
It will be imo too "powerful" for the first few levels, should be good enough from level 5 to 15, and probably lackluster after that. Well, it's up to you to make a few simulations to find the right balance.
IF, OTOH, you wanted to make it more like a "great power", make it a custom scalable 1st level spell which negates INT + 1d8 per casting level.
Or, finally, make a compromise: low "free effect" that could be enhanced by spending spellcasting fuel.

4. Instead of spell slots, use a custom points system is my suggestion:
- Pool: between 1 and 3 starting point + 1 more point every even level (or if you want to entice people to bump INT, make starting pool equal to mod level, minimum 1. But honestly I'd just make it "1").
- Cast spell with X points for spell of X level.
- Points recharge on short rest.
I think that may be a good fit, especially if you make your "manoeuvers" a resource-consuming feature like Battlemaster's manoeuvers, while keeping Staunch a free feature (with or without ability to empower it).
After all, a Fighter has many resources replenishing on a short rest already and with that player has just one resource to manage. ;)
The big thing will be to adjust the pool depending on what you put in it: for just spells, what I suggest should be fine. If pool is for "spells" + "manoeuvers", this probably won't be enough.

Note that I made these suggestions on the assumption that you keep EVERYTHING ELSE from the Fighter, including the 3th and 4th attack, Action Surge, Indomitable and (Improved) War Magic. So I kept everything else in check for balance. If for example you preferred making a martial with only plain Extra Attack, then you could safely pump a bit the "manoeuvers" or "Staunch", or simply boost the number of points for casting spells.

As for why I suggest using points, but not the official progression of spellpoints variants, it's because that I think it's simpler to understand, easier to track, smoother in power progression, and should still provide at least as much spellcasting, or more (depending on how you enforce short rests in fact).

Finally, why EK and not AT as others suggested? Simply because AT has many other great features related to skills and what not, and it seemed to me you wanted more a martial that knows how to mend. In that regard, I think Fighter is the best fit because purely "martial abilities", and it's easier to inspire from both Battlemaster and EK for your custom features.

To help you bootstrap the spell selection, from memory, my suggestions:

Bless, Healing Words, Sanctuary, Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Heroism, Aid, Lesser Restoration, Revivify, Gentle Repose, Enhance Ability, Silence (ill people need calm XD), Calm Emotions (same idea), Command, Inflict Wounds (if you know how to heal, you know how to harm ;)), Ray of Sickness (same idea), Lesser Restoration, maybe Warding Bond (mixed bag on this, it feels very "clerical"), Mass Healing Words, Revivify, Tongues, Comprehend Languages (a good medic must be able to comfort any creature, whichever the language ;)).
There are other spells that would fit mechanically but would be out of sync with what I understand of your idea (rather a man of science and experience than a man relying on gods or magic), but don't hesitate if you find one that you think fits mechanically, to just refluff its name and description to something else. This way you are sure it's balanced (it does require a bit of work though indeed). Like Grease: just make it so that the character uses custom oil flasks for greater effect.

Good luck ;)

EDIT: Added a short list .

Arkhios
2017-09-14, 10:54 PM

By the way... Is spellcasting a must have thing? Because I'd like to suggest the Warlord in my signature for a combat medic -type character. Picking up Healer feat and using the Soldier background (with Medic, obviously) for flavor you could make a competent (finesse) melee combatant with the tactician subclass, capable of increasing his/her allies' morale with various ways.

Azgeroth
2017-09-15, 05:56 AM
start with ranger hunter, and valor bard.

both have medium armour, get extra attack, rangers are 1/3 spell casters, valor bards are full spell casters with bardic inspiration.

so, use the starting profs from hunter, re flavour to fit your concept, suggested skills would be, medicine, survival, nature. and tools, herbalism.

replace class features with thematically fitting abilities, use existing abilities from any any class for that level, reskin to fit. (example, at lvl 1 you get 5 'combat dice' d6's, you can use those to augment attacks, protect allies, increase healing.

lvl 2, you get medical triage, the healer feat. letting you heal with a healers kit,

lvl 3, spell casting, follow the rangers spells known, prepared, and slots. pick a custom list from wizard/cleric.

lvl 4 ASI

lvl 5 extra attack.

follow bard progression for your combat dice, use a higher level archetype feature level to raise your combat die size, and allow you to use them as an action to reverse damage taken by an ally in the last round.

also i would give as another feature, medical precision, allowing you to add a d8 of damage to a weapon attack.

another is to revise combat triage, so aswell as healing you can grant temp hp with salves/potions. (buffs) and cure conditions.

Arkhios
2017-09-15, 06:01 AM
rangers are 1/3 spell casters

Minor nitpick, but ranger is 1/2 spellcaster.

DizzyWood
2017-09-19, 11:47 AM
Ugh i forgot to respond to this but thanks guys! The husband and I are going to try and use your suggestions here to Homebrew a class... well we will as soon as the emergency home renovations are complete.