PDA

View Full Version : No pain, no gain [item]

Dhavaer
2007-08-13, 09:07 AM
Spiral of Thorns

A length of black metal not dissimilar to barbed wire, the Spiral of Thorns is imbued with the power of Tharizdun, and as such allow his clerics to cast spells while they wear it. In addition, the wearer takes 2 points of Constitution damage that cannot be healed while the Spiral is worn, and any divine spells granted by Tharizdun gain a +1 profane bonus to caster level.

Moderate universal; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be a cleric of Tharizdun.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-13, 10:09 AM
Where is this worn?

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-08-13, 11:15 AM
Arm, I think. Wraps around it, drains blood, gives power. Neat idea, but what book is that god in?

FireSpark
2007-08-13, 11:24 AM
Arm, I think. Wraps around it, drains blood, gives power. Neat idea, but what book is that god in?

That would be the good ol' world of Greyhawk.

See also Iuz.

Triaxx
2007-08-13, 01:43 PM
Love it. On the other hand, at first glance, I figured it was an artifact Spiked Chain.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-13, 04:24 PM
I like this very much. Go Tharidzun!

(He's in Complete Divine).

Dhavaer
2007-08-13, 07:07 PM
Where is this worn?

Whoops. I was thinking around the leg, taking up the belt slot.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-13, 07:36 PM
Hmmm. Cost? It's less than 30K, which is an orange ioun stone. Slotted, so maybe 15K. But -2 CON while weaing, which is a pretty hefty penalty.

Triaxx
2007-08-13, 09:06 PM
Particularly where it's going to be worn by the characters that'll usually have a lower Con and Charisma. But it fits very well.

Dhavaer
2007-08-14, 08:40 PM
Would 11,000gp be a good price?

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-15, 01:44 AM
Trading 2 con for +1 Caster Level? I'd say 6,000 myself, since the trade-off is pretty fair.

Matthew
2007-08-17, 10:08 PM
I like this as well. My only concern is what occurs when a Character removes the Item and then dons it again, would this eventually result in death through repetition?

Dhavaer
2007-08-18, 05:09 AM
I like this as well. My only concern is what occurs when a Character removes the Item and then dons it again, would this eventually result in death through repetition?

Yes, they'd take damage every time they put it on. Best not to remove it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-18, 05:25 AM
Yes, they'd take damage every time they put it on. Best not to remove it.

So it can be used to be put on something and removed again and put on again for 2 points of Con damage per repition? Sounds open to abuse. Best say it just does the 2 Con damage when you put it on, which heals if you take it off.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-18, 05:32 AM
I could see it being used to deal con damage to enemies. Give the thing to something with a lot of attacks and they could just con damage the thing to death.

Though I suppose technically since there are no rules about it as a weapon that it can't actually be done. Though really, I could see it as say, a 1d2 thing.

If one is against that sort of thing, I would say deals a -2 con damage the first time, but that's it.

Still kind of useful as a weapon too, even if it can only deal that one -2. But not enough to kill on it's own.

Dhavaer
2007-08-18, 05:33 AM
So it can be used to be put on something and removed again and put on again for 2 points of Con damage per repition? Sounds open to abuse. Best say it just does the 2 Con damage when you put it on, which heals if you take it off.

If you're in a position to do that, why not just coup-de-grace them?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-18, 05:39 AM
If you're in a position to do that, why not just coup-de-grace them?

Never underestimate the power of a Munchkin... specifically one which will try to abuse the Grapple rules to be able to do this.

I'd say that it is a magic item which requires the wearer's permission. If the wearer is unwilling, it does not do the con damage, but neither will it give the bonuses. If the wearer is willing, it does Con damage, and gives the bonus. Nothing will allow you to get the bonus and not the damage.