PDA

View Full Version : Enlarge inside of a creature

BDRook
2017-09-14, 11:04 AM
So I'm currently running Out of the Abyss for my players; and they just got to the major Duergar city; and got into a fight with some of the Duergar inhabitants. I started the fight by having one of the Duergar use his enlarge ability to grow to the large size and do more damage.

On the druids turn he turns into a giant frog and tries to eat one of the smaller Duergar that haven't changed yet. So my question is what would happen if the Duergar inside him used the enlarge ability while inside the druids stomach? Froggy giblets everywhere? You guys ever have this happen in your game?

Draken
2017-09-14, 11:09 AM
So I'm currently running Out of the Abyss for my players; and they just got to the major Duergar city; and got into a fight with some of the Duergar inhabitants. I started the fight by having one of the Duergar use his enlarge ability to grow to the large size and do more damage.

On the druids turn he turns into a giant frog and tries to eat one of the smaller Duergar that haven't changed yet. So my question is what would happen if the Duergar inside him used the enlarge ability while inside the druids stomach? Froggy giblets everywhere? You guys ever have this happen in your game?

The ability text itself states that if there isn't enough room for them to grow, they grow up to the limit of available space and then stop. Inside another creature, that would basically be no space to grow at all.

hymer
2017-09-14, 11:18 AM
The ability text itself states that if there isn't enough room for them to grow, they grow up to the limit of available space and then stop. Inside another creature, that would basically be no space to grow at all.

Indeed. The more interesting question would be what happens if a druid in a wild shape swallows an opponent, and then the wild shape ends for whatever reason. Personally I'd have the swallowed creature appear next to the druid, albeit in whatever state would be appropriate.

Sirithhyando
2017-09-14, 12:02 PM
Indeed. The more interesting question would be what happens if a druid in a wild shape swallows an opponent, and then the wild shape ends for whatever reason. Personally I'd have the swallowed creature appear next to the druid, albeit in whatever state would be appropriate.

What about the opposite? The druid take the spider shape, get swalloed and then revert back to it's original form. Instant kill for the creature or the creature just vomit the druid? Still would be trumatizing for the creature :smalltongue:

Findulidas
2017-09-14, 12:14 PM
I remember reading about some joke 3.x build called arseplomancer (or something like that). The whole point if the build was to get inside someone or something and then enlarge to the point that even very large creatures would simply explode.

Regitnui
2017-09-14, 12:15 PM
Honestly? It depends on the situation as to how I'd rule, but I'd try to be consistent. If the players want to bust creatures from the inside, then they shouldn't be surprised if the same trick works on them.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-14, 05:56 PM
Though weirdly, that's the only shape-changing ability that specifies that-- Polymorph and Wild Shape have no such limit...

Lombra
2017-09-14, 07:14 PM
Though weirdly, that's the only shape-changing ability that specifies that-- Polymorph and Wild Shape have no such limit...

Enlarge/Reduce has the same text I believe.

samcifer
2017-09-15, 10:29 AM

It would be more thematic for the druid to barf up the person as they start to shift back. Gross enough of an experience that I doubt the druid would ever try it again. :P

Grey Watcher
2017-09-15, 10:40 AM
What about the opposite? The druid take the spider shape, get swalloed and then revert back to it's original form. Instant kill for the creature or the creature just vomit the druid? Still would be trumatizing for the creature :smalltongue:

Personally, I'd go with the "vomited out during shapechange" regardless of whether the PC is the swallower or the swallowee. Maybe toss in a little big of bludeoning damage for the swallower because that's bound to be... uncomfortable.

Actually, if you can find some way for the spider to be immune to acid (and bludgeoning?) damage (since a non-monstrous spider only has 1 HP), that would be an interesting, if profoundly disturbing, way to smuggle said druid into or out of somewhere.

And I think I just nauseated myself. :smalleek:

Joe the Rat
2017-09-15, 01:23 PM
Unless you want to encourage such shenanigans, regurgitating the swallowed creature when one transforms is probably simplest.

I remember reading about some joke 3.x build called arseplomancer (or something like that). The whole point if the build was to get inside someone or something and then enlarge to the point that even very large creatures would simply explode.

I think that you're thinking of is actually an Exemplar diplomancer - You have the ability to replace Diplomacy with a skill check in your area of expertise... such as escape artist. So you can thoroughly awe a crowd with your ability to squeeze into a space much smaller than yourself (which wotc was kind enough to assign an "asinine" DC to)...

Dr. Cliché
2017-09-15, 04:28 PM

See, I'm really not a fan of this 'super safe magic' approach.

Let's just say if you did that in my game the results would be rather . . . messy. :smallamused:

Findulidas
2017-09-15, 04:34 PM
I think that you're thinking of is actually an Exemplar diplomancer - You have the ability to replace Diplomacy with a skill check in your area of expertise... such as escape artist. So you can thoroughly awe a crowd with your ability to squeeze into a space much smaller than yourself (which wotc was kind enough to assign an "asinine" DC to)...

Yeah, thats the proper dnd name for one of the choices you probably had to make. However the name I mentioned was the one given to the build that the person had made at the time I think.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-15, 04:41 PM
Yeah, thats the proper dnd name for one of the choices you probably had to make. However the name I mentioned was the one given to the build that the person had made at the time I think.
The full build not only let you explode the creature from the inside after succeeding on your escape artist check and casting a spell or two, but made fanatic followers out of anyone who witnessed you doing it. So you could do it to the king in the middle of court and have the entire throne room give you a standing ovation.

3.x had some interesting exploits.