PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help making a Power Ranger build?

ChicoSosa
2017-09-14, 11:07 AM
Okay, so the title may be a little misleading. I'm not looking to make a teenager that has a zord and a suit that powers them up and gives them access to a megazord (Though if you have an idea for that, I'm all ears.) I'm actually looking to make a ridiculously strong ranger, but I'm going about it a bit unorthodox. Our campaign is a battle royale where our PCs are in a tournament, all trying to win. The idea I had was for a pally/revised ranger, with 3 levels in ranger and 5 in pally. The question I had was which to start with, and what race would work best for this build (I'm thinking half elf right now, but would be open to switch if you have something better.) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-14, 11:23 AM
Will you be fighting 1-on-1, or going about it in a huge battle with everyone involved?

ChicoSosa
2017-09-14, 11:33 AM
Large free for all battle, there are 8 of us and our dm says at least 5 of us will need to be there to play.

Jamesps
2017-09-14, 11:49 AM
Using the revised ranger you can make a character with a ridiculously powerful opening round. The new ranger has advantage on initiative checks and advantage on all attacks against opponents that haven't gotten their turn yet. The Deep Stalker further gets an extra attack and movement on their first round of combat. Combine it with the Fighter's action surge and by 7th level you could be getting six archery attacks with advantage on the first round. Use the spell-less ranger to pick up some superiority dice for added accuracy, and use elven accuracy if its allowed and you'll eventually get triple advantage, superiority dice, and archery style on 3 or 6 attacks. This will net you around 67 damage or 134 damage with action surge on the first round (assuming humanoids are a favored enemy). You can reasonably expect to wipe out an enemy healer with that, possibly finishing them off so that a backup healer won't be able to bring them back up.

Of course all this doesn't take off until 9th level, but you'll be pretty effective up until that point anyways as almost all sharpshooter builds are. You could even pull it off quicker if your GM doesn't allow elven accuracy by playing a human, at which point you're looking at some pretty ridiculous damage at 3rd level.

Edit: Didn't see it was a free for all. Unfortunately this strategy is terrible for free for alls as it makes you look like a threat. This would have worked 1v1 or in a team battle.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-14, 12:23 PM
Deepstalker 5/Hexblade 3 or Deepstalker 3/Hexblade 5. Grab Eldritch Smite, Devil's Sight, Thirsting Blade. Use darkness on the battle field, snipe away. You can either grab a magic bow or make your own with magic weapon +pact of blade ritual. You'll probably go first, choose a high priority target for your Hexblade curse an be prepared to do massive damage with favored enemy+proficiency bonus + dex + sharpshooter + smite on that guy. if you go three levels for hexblade pick up improved pact weapon invo for a +1 weapon focus, as well as devil sight.

Pick up booming blade and a one handed weapon and shield as your back up melee weapons, since you can use cha on any non two handed weapon i think you should focus on Dex>Cha>Con>Wis. But grab sharpshooter as your asi (or as feat if you go vhuman).

Jamesps
2017-09-14, 12:39 PM
Given the parameters of the fight I'd revise your strategy to seem inconspicuous and hard to kill. People that appear to do little damage but are difficult to kill will be lowest priority targets. The trick is to be able to pull a whole bunch of damage out of nowhere once some of your opponents have been eliminated.

Given that, Deepstalker is probably a poor choice of subclasses. I'd splash enough rogue to get cunning action and keep your distance. Hide the fact you have sharpshooter until you're ready to look like a threat. Hopefully no one will bother running after you until it's too late.