PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What spells mirror Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, but at any range?

Melcar
2017-09-14, 11:36 AM
Hellow... Yes so just in the tin!

I'm trying to find spells where I can at my leisure keep an eye on the military excesses of the Great Kingdom to the East, who apparently are moving their troop, which they say are only 12.000, very close to the border of The Lord's Alliance. I want to have a drone/ ariel view of their troops, but without leaving my ivory tower 1000 miles away. How do I do that!?

Note, that I dont want to look at one person, as scrying would allow over any distance, but an area - just as if I was flying around in the area!

tyckspoon
2017-09-14, 12:23 PM
There's probably a spell that will do that, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is the psionic equivalent of Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, Clairvoyant Sense. It's..basically the same as Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, but with the one significant distance of not being Range limited - you can place the sensor anywhere that you're familiar with or can describe as an obvious location (so Scry one of the random soldiers in the army or place the sensor 'above the town hall of (nearest friendly small village) to get familiar enough with the area to scry over the army. Or just chain-manifest it until you can see the area you want to be in.) If you have some spare money laying around, a Third Eye: Sense will allow you to use the power at will for a mere 24k GP.

Feantar
2017-09-14, 12:25 PM
To look at a (static) location, there's scry location from complete scoundrel which is a 6th level wizard spell.

Only other -safe- way I can think of is casting arcane eye(possibly extended), then teleport object the eye to the area. And I'm not sure that's legal (is a scrying sensor an object, a creature, or just an effect?).

From a more dangerous standpoint just Magic Jar into a bird and teleport - but if the bird dies so far away from the jar, you're dead.

Or, from a somewhat safer standpoint, find a friendly flying creature, use telepathic bond and chain of eyes on it, then teleport it elsewhere and direct it mentally - or be evil, find a flying humanoid(Avariel?) chain of eyes and dominate person and teleport it directing it through dominate person's telepathy.

... I can't believe this isn't easier to do...

DrKerosene
2017-09-15, 05:01 AM
Psionics should be the answer.

I'm currently trying to find the psionic warforged villain called "Brightness" who floats in orbit around the gameworld using psionics to remotely view and cast psionic powers on people.

Edit: Found it, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474230-Villainous-Competition-IX-The-Power-of-Villainous-Thinking/page2

Nifft
2017-09-15, 05:09 AM
To look at a (static) location, there's scry location from complete scoundrel which is a 6th level wizard spell.

Yeah that's one of the big ones that I came here to talk about.

The other is a magic item: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofMentalProwess -- it's not cheap, but it's also not limited to any particular duration.