PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer

dragon_masterd
2007-08-13, 09:15 AM
I'm thinking about beginning warhammer But I'm not sure. Could anyone tell me their Thoughts about it?

CaptainSam
2007-08-13, 04:23 PM
Warhammer what? Fantasy, 40,000, Fantasy Roleplaying, Ancients, Epic, Epic 40k, Historical?

dragon_masterd
2007-08-14, 08:31 AM
Warhammer Fantasy I Think

Oeep Snaec
2007-08-15, 05:43 AM
Warhammer is a fantastic game, for both battles and art. Painting your models makes you feel more attached to them. The games are also amazingly fun, involving both tactics and luck. If you want to get started, I suggest the starter set they have out right now. It runs for about $45, includes the main rulebook, dice, templates, and two decent sized forces, one of goblins, one of dwarfs. If neither of those appeal to you as an army, they are a great way to practice painting before starting your army of choice. There are also several paint sets that include a decent number of paints, and a citidel brand brush, though I would recommend buying a large, less expensive set of brushes from your local arts and crafts store.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-15, 05:48 AM
I love Warhammer, both Fantasy and 40k, but it is restricted by one problem: money. It's an expensive hobby for sure, there are more expensive, but there are far cheaper. A lot of people are turned off by the painting of their models, but I personally enjoy it very much. Admittedly I prefer assembling them to painting them, as its design, but anyway. For me the only downside is cost, as I'm poor, but if it weren't for that, I'd have an impressive army built and played with regularly for sure.

Decoy Lockbox
2007-08-15, 07:20 PM
Warhammer is a great hobby if you are committed and affluent.

I like the game quite a bit, but the only problems are
1) The cost
2) The time it takes to decently paint an army
3) Places to play -- if I want to play at a local gaming store I will need to shill out about $250 on carrying cases for my minis, since I cant just show up with em in cardboard boxes.

The tactics are interesting, because they rely far more on morale and leadership of your units than the raw physical stats. Having strong or tough units helps give you an edge in battle, but a huge horde of core troops like halberdiers or swordsmen and a good general can really hold the line.

I play Empire myself, because I always enjoy the idea, in any fantasy game I play, of being the "regular joe" fighting against monsters and magic with technology and grit. I mean, sure I have crazily good cannons that can make mincemeat out of a dragon and a quasi-gattling gun (which got nerfed with the new empire book!) that can and has eviscerated an entire regiment of heavily armored enemy knights, and a steam tank which can run over people, but at the end of the day my troops are just regular guys fighting for their country.

thedavo
2007-08-15, 07:48 PM
Warhammer is a great hobby if you are committed and affluent.

I like the game quite a bit, but the only problems are
1) The cost
2) The time it takes to decently paint an army
3) Places to play -- if I want to play at a local gaming store I will need to shill out about $250 on carrying cases for my minis, since I cant just show up with em in cardboard boxes.

The tactics are interesting, because they rely far more on morale and leadership of your units than the raw physical stats. Having strong or tough units helps give you an edge in battle, but a huge horde of core troops like halberdiers or swordsmen and a good general can really hold the line.

I play Empire myself, because I always enjoy the idea, in any fantasy game I play, of being the "regular joe" fighting against monsters and magic with technology and grit. I mean, sure I have crazily good cannons that can make mincemeat out of a dragon and a quasi-gattling gun (which got nerfed with the new empire book!) that can and has eviscerated an entire regiment of heavily armored enemy knights, and a steam tank which can run over people, but at the end of the day my troops are just regular guys fighting for their country.

massed ranks = win, but i like having a couple of big things in there aswell. add to that i have the most unpredictable army in the game.

Decoy Lockbox
2007-08-15, 08:36 PM
Unless you are using lightly armored troops and fighting an Empire player who uses mortars
Then tightly packed troops = lose

Just for curiosities sake, which army is the most unpredictable? Orcs? Skaven?

Oeep Snaec
2007-08-15, 09:46 PM
I would go with Orcs. Their animosity can really screw over your army in a hurry. The fact that the most carefully laid battle plan can go to pot with one of your own units attacking another makes them worse than Skaven, who don't have that problem.

nathkry
2007-08-15, 10:59 PM
But skaven have so much more unpredictability! All of Clan Skryre, for instance. The warp-lightning cannon. An 8d6" line of green power that causes a artillery dice strength hit to each model. What is more random and unpredicable than that?

Decoy Lockbox
2007-08-16, 12:51 AM
Thats pretty brutal. But the old Empire Helblaster volley gun shot 3 artillery dice worth of shots at a unit in close range. There is a high chance of the gun malfunctioning, but if all goes well it can spit out 36 strength (which automatically hit) 6 hits into an enemy unit. Take that, armored cavalry! Of course it was nerfed, and now requires ballistic skill rolls to hit.

Oeep Snaec
2007-08-16, 09:22 AM
But skaven have so much more unpredictability! All of Clan Skryre, for instance. The warp-lightning cannon. An 8d6" line of green power that causes a artillery dice strength hit to each model. What is more random and unpredicable than that?

But that is only that one piece. Shots of random distance and strength from one model don't compare to the potential total collapse of the Orc army into anarchy.

JellyPooga
2007-08-16, 09:51 AM
But that is only that one piece. Shots of random distance and strength from one model don't compare to the potential total collapse of the Orc army into anarchy.

But your Warpfire Thrower misfiring over your 60 strong main block of Clanrats, wiping both it and your general out can ruin any skaven commanders game...(this has happened to me before...twice!).

Oeep Snaec
2007-08-16, 12:22 PM
Here's the real question, why would anyone shoot over their general's unit with a weapon that has the ablility to mosfire like that?

JellyPooga
2007-08-16, 01:15 PM
Here's the real question, why would anyone shoot over their general's unit with a weapon that has the ablility to mosfire like that?

The Warpfire Thrower is a mighty powerful weapon (large teardrop template + artillery dice range, S5, causes panic test if any casualties taken)...so it's got to have a downside...you can be firing in a completely different direction to your main block of troops and still manage to hit them on a misfire...in the two cases where I did manage to kill my general and main block of troops, I was firing at Elven Cavalry from the flank of my unit...got a misfire, my WFTT ran amok and killed half the unit, who failed their panic test and got run down next turn by the very cavalry I was aiming at...it wasn't that I put my unit in the line of fire...it was just the nature of Skaven weaponry...

Eldpollard
2007-08-16, 01:24 PM
There's already a Warhammer thread. Head on over, we have ratmen.

Oeep Snaec
2007-08-16, 09:55 PM
Aye Aye Cap'n!