PDA

View Full Version : What skill to use for current events/politics?

Drayelock
2017-09-14, 12:38 PM
Hello all!

In 5th edition what skill do you guys have your players use to learn about current events or the politics of a certain place? For instance if your party just arrived in the town of Moldor and wanted to know about any recent developments they may have heard, politics of the region (informal as well as formal), or just the "current events"? Basically, the "Knowledge: Local" skill from Pathfinder.

I've kind of done a combination of History to see if they already knew it or Persuasion or Intimidation if they wish to learn of local events from the townsfolk. Just was curious of how others did it and maybe steal it for me game!

dejarnjc
2017-09-14, 12:44 PM
Usually an info dump from multiple (or a single particularly knowledgeable) NPCs. Some things won't require a check at all if it's easily obtained knowledge that the locals would happily share. Sleuthing around will require checks but it's all dependent on how the players go about it. Investigation, Persuasion, and occasionally Perception are my go to skills for such things.

Sigreid
2017-09-14, 12:56 PM
I would probably go with History unless something were happening that played into a specific skill like religion or arcana. It's possible I would call for checks against multiple skills, each one giving a bit of appropriate information.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-14, 01:23 PM
Remember that not all ability checks are skill checks. That is, don't be afraid to call for a straight up Intelligence (or Wisdom, or Charisma) check for generic things like this.

On the particular topic, I could be persuaded to allow History if the player made a half-decent case for it. Otherwise, they'd need to find an informant (using a straight CHA check as set out in the PHB) and ask them. They probably wouldn't need a check once they found someone to talk to--local gossips are pretty open with simple stuff. Now if the town were xenophobic, that's another matter.

nickl_2000
2017-09-14, 01:26 PM
Investigation. You are investigating the local population to see what the news is.

Sigreid
2017-09-14, 01:27 PM
Insight could also work to interpret what you are seeing correctly.

Regitnui
2017-09-14, 01:58 PM
If it's the sort of thing you should know or can know by picking up a newspaper, like the current king is feuding with a smaller dominion across the ocean because they offend his ego, then it's an easy History check, if not something the DM can outright tell you without NPC moderation.

Easy_Lee
2017-09-14, 01:59 PM
What are your players doing to get this information? I think that dictates the skill.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-14, 02:05 PM
Hello all!

In 5th edition what skill do you guys have your players use to learn about current events or the politics of a certain place? For instance if your party just arrived in the town of Moldor and wanted to know about any recent developments they may have heard, politics of the region (informal as well as formal), or just the "current events"? Basically, the "Knowledge: Local" skill from Pathfinder.

I've kind of done a combination of History to see if they already knew it or Persuasion or Intimidation if they wish to learn of local events from the townsfolk. Just was curious of how others did it and maybe steal it for me game!

I don't get why this needs to be much of a skill check at all? To get this kind of information, just ask the local barkeep or inn owner. They usually know what's going on.

Unoriginal
2017-09-14, 02:13 PM
Hello all!

That's the kind of things that don't demand a check most of the time.

If the locals are open to share their knowledge, they just do when asked. If it's something the PCs could have learned while traveling around the place or just by earsays, they already know it.

If for some reason the locals need to be strongly convinced to share their knowledge, Cha, Cha(Persuasion) or Cha(Intididation) might do the trick, with the natural consequences of doing so. If the PCs are trying to recall really obscure info on the place, and Int check or Int (History) check might be needed.

Regitnui
2017-09-14, 11:26 PM
If anything is taught us by the "History" channel's paper-thin justification for showing modern people buying junk, it's that history includes current affairs. So if they want to recall something on their own (above common knowledge), it's an Int (History) check.