PDA

View Full Version : Help Clarify Rogue Cunning Action

samduke
2017-09-14, 12:57 PM
Question:
If a Rogue has a total movement of 30ft, it can move upto 30ft, make the attack action versus an enemy, then bonus action disengage and move upto another 30ft where ever they are able for a total of upto 60ft of actual movement. Is this correct ? IF so the below R.A.W. is not very clear about the subject, and I would need specific reference to the book & page, F.A.Q. or Eratta where the issue can be clarified.

R.A.W.:
Each turn you get:
Movement "points" equal to your speed
one "Action"
one "Bonus Action"
one "Item Interaction"

PHB p.189 On your turn, you can move a distance up to your speed and take one action

PHB p.190 On your turn, you can move a distance up to your speed. You can use as much or as little of your speed as you like on your turn,
You can move, attack, move some more, attack some more, move again, using your bonus action move again

PHB p.192 When you take your action on your turn, you can take one of the actions presented here, an action you gained from your class or a special feature

PHB p.192 Attack action make one melee or ranged attack, Extra Attack feature make more than one attack with this action

PHB p.189 Bonus Action: Cunning Action Disengage, Dash, Hide

PHB p.192 the Disengage action, You use the disengage action to avoid an opportunity attack while you use your move to travel up to your speed

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-14, 01:00 PM
No, you can EITHER use the bonus action to Disengage, or to Dash. You can't do both. So you could move 15' to the target, attack, then bonus action Disengage and get 15' back.

Disengage does not give you any additional movement that you can use. While I don't know of any case where this would actually be allowed, Disengage would not protect you if you moved more than your move speed allowed. (But since most movement speed increases are covered, I really don't know when this would be a factor)

MintyNinja
2017-09-14, 01:01 PM
PHB p.192 the Disengage action, You use the disengage action to avoid an opportunity attack while you use your move to travel up to your speed

I'm fairly certain that in this instance it's referring to your Move Action, and since your example Rogue used their move already then they cannot move anymore. There's some history of players tacking an extra Move Action onto Disengage because that was the case in the playtest. I believe it's been clarified in the PHB, but I'm away from my books at the moment.

tieren
2017-09-14, 01:01 PM
The bonus action disengage does not grant extra movement, so you couldn't disengage and then move another 30' (assuming as in the example they already moved 30 feet).

You could move say 20 feet towards an enemy, attack it, then use cunning action to move 10 feet away from the enemy without taking an attack of opportunity.

Or you could use cunning action to take the dash action as a bonus action to move the extra 30 feet, but not get the benefit of the disengage (so you could move up 30 feet, attack, then cunning action dash away back the 30 feet but the enemy would possibly get an attack of opportunity [unless they don't have a reaction available for some reason]).

Varlon
2017-09-14, 01:04 PM
Yeah, in this case it seems like whatever your source is is what's unclear, not the RAW. Here's all my PHB says about Disengage: "If you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn".

smcmike
2017-09-14, 01:04 PM
Question:
If a Rogue has a total movement of 30ft, it can move upto 30ft, make the attack action versus an enemy, then bonus action disengage and move upto another 30ft where ever they are able for a total of upto 60ft of actual movement. Is this correct ?

No.

The rogue can use Cunning action for Disengage OR Dash. It doesn't do both.

If you don't Dash, you can only move your speed in a round.

Assuming a speed of 30', a Rogue could move 10', attack with her action, disengage, then move the remainder of her movement for the round, up to 20'.

She could alternatively move 10', attack with her action, and use Dash to move another 50', but she may provoke an opportunity attack in doing so.

samduke
2017-09-14, 01:24 PM
okay gang so the short answer is with the bonus action, disengage, it is for what ever amount of your current movement rate is left.

Aett_Thorn
2017-09-14, 02:12 PM
okay gang so the short answer is with the bonus action, disengage, it is for what ever amount of your current movement rate is left.

Exactly. You have a movement rate (25', 30', 60', whatever). That doesn't change when you use Disengage. Disengage just allows you to avoid Opportunity Attacks while using your movement this turn.