PDA

View Full Version : Thread Length

big teej
2017-09-14, 01:32 PM
Greetings,

I've taken two long hiatuses from the forum, but this time I seem to be back on a rather permanent basis running games in the pbp forum.

I cautioned my players, who are all new to the playground, that threads get locked at 50 pages, so to be careful about posting the closer we got to it.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that this rule might no longer be in effect, I haven't been able to find any mention of it one way or another except my own memories...

so are threads still capped at 50 pages and I need to be figuring out a clever title for my game to continue? or are we free to soldier on into however many pages the game ends up being?

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-09-14, 01:42 PM
Greetings,

I've taken two long hiatuses from the forum, but this time I seem to be back on a rather permanent basis running games in the pbp forum.

I cautioned my players, who are all new to the playground, that threads get locked at 50 pages, so to be careful about posting the closer we got to it.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that this rule might no longer be in effect, I haven't been able to find any mention of it one way or another except my own memories...

so are threads still capped at 50 pages and I need to be figuring out a clever title for my game to continue? or are we free to soldier on into however many pages the game ends up being?

I am not a mod, but as far as I know, the cap is still in effect. Some threads (such as the comic thread) can be granted exceptions, but in general, at page 50, a mod is likely to lock the thread. Note that it is not automatic, but there is also no point in risking it.

For PbP games, the normal approach is to start a new thread (usually same title, with "part 2") when page 50 is reached or about to be reached.

Yours,

Grey Wolf

big teej
2017-09-14, 02:01 PM
Appreciate it, thanks.

Roland St. Jude
2017-09-14, 02:36 PM
Sheriff: It's an administrative rule more than a conduct rule. We're unlikely to get on anyone's case about there being an over-length thread. But you should start a new one when you get to 50 and report the thread so we can close the old one, especially for a PbP where the DM/GM can take charge and do that efficiently.

Rawhide
2017-09-14, 11:55 PM
Sheriff: It's an administrative rule more than a conduct rule. We're unlikely to get on anyone's case about there being an over-length thread. But you should start a new one when you get to 50 and report the thread so we can close the old one, especially for a PbP where the DM/GM can take charge and do that efficiently.

Just to clarify, there's no need to report threads in the PbP area when you move on to the next if they are well coordinated by a DM/GM willing to take charge of moving to the next thread. As Roland St. Jude noted, these threads are well coordinated by a single person with a specific purpose, are posted in by only a few people, and are unlikely to see accidental resurrections.

When a thread hits 50 pages, start then to move to a new thread. But, don't panic if it spills over by a few pages, you don't have to nix the old thread immediately.