PDA

View Full Version : Is the Paladin's special mount a 'summoned creature'

Perpetual Blur
2017-09-14, 01:43 PM
I'm playing in an E6 Gestalt game, running a Paladin//Totemist. I've gotten a Celestial Drakkensteed mount, and we use manticore belt for a lot of attacks per round.

We're playing through RHOD, and the players just decided to skip 90% of the plot and go straight for the adventure boss, Azar Kul (probably a high level cleric.) YAY for insanely high knowledge rolls!

No spoilers, but my expectation is that he's probably a level 9-11 cleric. That means that an unhallow spell is decently likely.

Which brings me to my questions:

Does my mount count as 'summoned' for the purpose of Circle of Protection against Good?
Can you summon a good creature into an outward-facing Magic circle against Good? Or does that count as 'entering' it?
Any suggestions for dealing with an unhallow spell? Is our best bet to dispel magic it? Or are there actual level 6 solutions?

I asked my DM the first 2 already and he didn't know...

Venger
2017-09-14, 01:50 PM
1. no
2. yes. no
3. it's instantaneous, so cannot be dispelled.

what spell is tied to the location? the default effect is pretty non, so doesn't need much dealing with.

Perpetual Blur
2017-09-14, 02:07 PM
1. no
2. yes. no
3. it's instantaneous, so cannot be dispelled.

what spell is tied to the location? the default effect is pretty non, so doesn't need much dealing with.

My best guess is dimensional anchor. We haven't seen this at all, so I'm dealing with hypotheticals here. We all have special 'teleport home' items (a setting thing from the organization we work for.)

But if we're facing a level 11 cleric... an unhallow zone with dimensional anchor seems quite plausible. And pretty dangerous.

Do you have a source for the paladin mount not being a summoned creature?

Is there no way of eliminating the unhallow dimensional anchor effect?

Anxe
2017-09-14, 02:17 PM
The Special Mount ability section describes it as a calling effect, not summoned.

Malimar
2017-09-14, 02:24 PM
Is there no way of eliminating the unhallow dimensional anchor effect?
Well, hallow won't work... but another casting of unhallow might, given the "An area can receive only one unhallow spell (and its associated spell effect) at a time" wording. Of course, casting unhallow is an Evil act, so the Paladin might have a problem with it, and it's a clr5/drd5 spell so finding a way to cast it may be difficult in e6. Sorry.

Perpetual Blur
2017-09-14, 02:27 PM
Well, hallow won't work... but another casting of unhallow might, given the "An area can receive only one unhallow spell (and its associated spell effect) at a time" wording. Of course, casting unhallow is an Evil act, so the Paladin might have a problem with it, and it's a clr5/drd5 spell so finding a way to cast it may be difficult in e6. Sorry.

That's quite clever. We do have a neutral cleric, so I'd have to work out the RP on how my paladin would react... but it's possible.

Also, if we're in a big city, we can generally buy any item CL 10 or lower. So Scroll of unhallow is possible.

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-16, 12:45 PM
If it's an E6 game, shouldn't the enemies also be limited to level 6? :smallconfused:

ATHATH
2017-09-16, 03:08 PM
If it's an E6 game, shouldn't the enemies also be limited to level 6? :smallconfused:
Well, they're playing an adventure path that's not designed for E6, and, uh, um, evil space wizards did it. Yeah. Evil space wizards, definitely.

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-16, 05:03 PM
Well, they're playing an adventure path that's not designed for E6

I know, I've ran the adventure myself. But I assumed that if you're playing a published adventure in a highly custom game like gestalt or E6, you'd have to convert the adventure, right?

Crake
2017-09-16, 08:08 PM

Some people use e6 as a limit on the players, no the setting, treating them as regular joes who might sometimes come to odds with the not-so-regular joes in the campaign setting.

That being said, a 9th level spellcaster capable of casting unhallow is a pretty big gap to close. A decent explanation is that it was done by incantations from unearthed arcana

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-16, 09:18 PM
Some people use e6 as a limit on the players, no the setting, treating them as regular joes who might sometimes come to odds with the not-so-regular joes in the campaign setting.

That being said, a 9th level spellcaster capable of casting unhallow is a pretty big gap to close. A decent explanation is that it was done by incantations from unearthed arcana

Okay, but... I mean, RHoD is written to take PCs from level 6 to level 12 or so, and the enemies at the end are around that level themselves. How does E6 even work when you let certain people have access to high-level spells like dictum or blasphemy while other people are capped at 6 HD? :smallconfused:

Seems like a balance issue caused by one side playing Game A and another side playing Game B.