PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get both level 9 psionic and magic item crafting on one character?

magicalmagicman
2017-09-14, 01:57 PM
I thought about psychic reformation but you need caster levels or manifester levels to craft stuff.

Imbue Item ignores caster level, but you need 12 in warlock, no prestige classes.

Artificers specialize in either magic items or psionic items, not both.

Sublime Chord still needs 6 levels of prerequisiste (5 levels for level 3 spellcasting, 1 level for bard. Results in 4 in psionic, 1 in sublime chord, and 9 Cerebremancer finishing at level 7 crafting at 20).

Note: I just want to CRAFT level 9 spells/power stones. I don't need to be able to cast those spells, so Warlock 12 satisfies the magic side.

Note2: Wish explicitly crafts Magic Items, not Psionic, and magic-psionic transperancy does not fix this (unless someone finds a quote that it does and proves me wrong).

EDIT: Thanks everyone! So now... is there a way to make a character capable of crafting Gate and True Mind Switch?

RoboEmperor
2017-09-14, 02:13 PM
You can abuse the exact language of RAW and say Wish can create a psionic but not magical item upto 25,000gp in value and vice versa for Reality Revision.

Psyren
2017-09-14, 02:15 PM
Artificers specialize in either magic items or psionic items, not both.

Actually this is incorrect, and Psionic Artificer can do this.

While it's true that a Psionic Artificer cannot emulate spells to make magic items, there is also a rule in Magic Item Compendium that lets you use powers to create magic items anyway. For example, you can use Energy Burst to make a Necklace of Fireballs, and Animal Affinity to create a Belt of Giant Strength / Headband of Intellect. You can't create every single magic item in the game this way, but it does open up a large number.

IIRC this is one of the reasons that Psionic Artificers were colloquially seen as "T0."

Eldariel
2017-09-14, 02:16 PM
Just use Cerebremancer double 9s build with e.g. Sublime Chord and Ardent. You can go like Wizard 1/Ardent 3/Cerebremancer 3/Ardent +2/Heartfire Fanner 1/Sublime Chord 3/Cerebremancer +7. This gives you level 19 Ardent casting with Practiced Manifester and level 10 Sublime Chord casting.

Bakkan
2017-09-14, 02:21 PM
I think the simplest way might actually be to be a dual 9ths character. Something like Wizard 3/Ardent 1/Cerebremancer 10/Legacy Champion 6 with Practised Manifester (Ardent) is the simplest such build I can think of.

EDIT: Psionic Rogue'd by Eldariel as I was looking up details.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-14, 02:37 PM
Chameleon Crafting will get you something similar, but cheesier. It allows you to make power stones of shapechange and such.

magicalmagicman
2017-09-14, 02:40 PM
Chameleon Crafting will get you something similar, but cheesier. It allows you to make power stones of shapechange and such.

No dragon. Sorry.

Time to get down to business! While I research and read up the dual 9 build and the psionic artificer, I'd appreciate it if the following question is answered:
Is there a way to get a character to be able to craft both a scroll of gate and a power stone True Mind Switch?

Psyren
2017-09-14, 03:03 PM
Is this for your "climb inside a Pit Fied/Fire Elemental" idea?

Either way, you don't need a scroll of gate, just craft a Candle of Invocation instead. Psionic Artificer can pull that off.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-14, 03:22 PM
Level 18 Psion Telepath with Reality Revision and True Mind Switch. Use Reality Revision to create a nonpsionic scroll of gate whose caster level doesn't push the value over 25,000gp (Caster level 88)

Either Magic Items and Psionic Items are different and Reality Revision can create one, or they are not different, in which case Reality Revision can create one.

For Magic, it's much more expensive. For a level 17 wizard
1. Craft a Scroll of Gate
2. Cast Wish 3 times for a power stone of Astral Seed, and two power stones of Mind Switch. Or a Dorje with 2 Mind Switch Charges if that's allowed.
3. Manifest Astral Seed with UPD.
4. Kill Yourself.
5. Have your Familiar use the Scroll of Gate.
6. Have your Familiar mind switch with the creature.
7. Have your familiar mind switch with you.
8. Kill the Creature
9. Smash the Astral Seed.

This method is not recommended due to requiring a **** ton of XP, and murder of your familiar.

magicalmagicman
2017-09-14, 03:25 PM
Is this for your "climb inside a Pit Fied/Fire Elemental" idea?

Either way, you don't need a scroll of gate, just craft a Candle of Invocation instead. Psionic Artificer can pull that off.

Its Fire Elemental now, no pit fiend, and the answer is... yes?

My character is a cleric for the campaign, but I'd like to build a character that is independent of the benevolence of my DM in providing a psionic shop with the level 9 power stone I want. So yes it is for my idea and no it's not for the character I was planning in those posts.

How does a Psionic Artificer pull that off? Sorry, I am really new to Artificers. Candle of Invocation requires GATE. How would a Psionic Artificer ignore this requirement? Please speak as if talking to a baby!

Level 18 Psion Telepath with Reality Revision and True Mind Switch. Use Reality Revision to create a nonpsionic scroll of gate whose caster level doesn't push the value over 25,000gp (Caster level 88)

Either Magic Items and Psionic Items are different and Reality Revision can create one, or they are not different, in which case Reality Revision can create one.

For Magic, it's much more expensive. For a level 17 wizard
1. Craft a Scroll of Gate
2. Cast Wish 3 times for a power stone of Astral Seed, and two power stones of Mind Switch. Or a Dorje with 2 Mind Switch Charges if that's allowed.
3. Manifest Astral Seed with UPD.
4. Kill Yourself.
5. Have your Familiar use the Scroll of Gate.
6. Have your Familiar mind switch with the creature.
7. Have your familiar mind switch with you.
8. Kill the Creature
9. Smash the Astral Seed.

This method is not recommended due to requiring a **** ton of XP, and murder of your familiar.

Your method is my last resort since it does require some head tilting or shaking to allow.

Psyren
2017-09-14, 03:37 PM
How does a Psionic Artificer pull that off? Sorry, I am really new to Artificers. Candle of Invocation requires GATE. How would a Psionic Artificer ignore this requirement? Please speak as if talking to a baby!

MiC 232:

If an item includes a spell prerequisite, but the effect of the item does not directly implement that spell, then a psionic power of similar flavor can be substituted.

The candle is not a spell trigger or spell completion item, so it is "indirect implementation." So all you need now is a power with "similar flavor" to Gate. I would use Planar Champion for this (CPsi 94. Finally, a use for it!)

magicalmagicman
2017-09-14, 04:01 PM
MiC 232:

The candle is not a spell trigger or spell completion item, so it is "indirect implementation." So all you need now is a power with "similar flavor" to Gate. I would use Planar Champion for this (CPsi 94. Finally, a use for it!)

I think that's pushing it. You are creating a gate and compelling a creature forward exactly like the spell, which is the definition of "directly implementing the spell", so I think it wouldn't work.

Psyren
2017-09-14, 05:00 PM
I think that's pushing it. You are creating a gate and compelling a creature forward exactly like the spell, which is the definition of "directly implementing the spell", so I think it wouldn't work.

*shrug*

It could go either way. My main purpose here was to point out your statement, that psionic artificers can't do both, was wrong - even if your GM rules that they can't make the specific item you want for your concept.