PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcraft Mage

Tyger
2007-08-13, 09:33 AM
Is there any point to a Beguiler (who is going into Shadowcraft Mage) picking up any of the Shadow Conjuration or Evocation spells? It would seem that the level three SM ability is far better than these spells, and don't take any of the Beguiler's precious Advanced Learning slots.

Or am I missing something? :) Wouldn't be the first time.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-13, 09:47 AM
Don't you need those spells (or some Shadow Spell) to get into SM? Doesn SM grant you them, ior just improve them once you have them (I thought the latter)?

Overlard
2007-08-13, 10:48 AM
Yeah, not much point in taking them, unless you don't have access to any other shadow spells (normally via the spell compendium). The class features of the PrC renders those spells pretty much useless.

Tyger
2007-08-13, 11:18 AM
Don't you need those spells (or some Shadow Spell) to get into SM? Doesn SM grant you them, ior just improve them once you have them (I thought the latter)?

Nope, you just need to be able to cast a fourth level shadow spell, any will do. And of course, with Heighten Spell, you can Heighten any 3rd or lower spell to 4th to meet the qualifications. Then the level 2 SM ability essentially allows you to turn your figments into Shadow Conjuration or Evocation... and then your level 4 ability boosts them out the wazoo.

Thanks Overlard, that was pretty much what I thought. Now, to decide what two spells to actually take.... hmmm.