PDA

View Full Version : Can Reality Revision make Magic Items?

sorcererlover
2017-09-14, 03:35 PM
I was reading this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?536270-Is-it-possible-to-get-both-level-9-psionic-and-magic-item-crafting-on-one-character

and I was like WTF?

Is this true? The poster claims that because magic items are not psionic items the "Create a nonpsionic item of up to 25,000 gp in value." clause in Reality Revision lets you create Scrolls of Gate of CL 88 for 5,000xp!

Venger
2017-09-14, 03:39 PM
nope. transparency. psionics and magic are the same. this doesn't work.

Psyren
2017-09-14, 03:39 PM
"nonpsionic" there is supposed to mean "nonmagical" - not, "magical, but not psionic." Items are subject to the transparency rule.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-14, 04:03 PM
nope. transparency. psionics and magic are the same. this doesn't work.

If they are the same thing then Reality Revision can make magic items by increasing the XP cost. If they are not the same thing (using psionics are different variant rule) Reality Revision can make magic items by the 25,000gp limit I claimed.

In both cases Reality Revision makes magic items. There is no "Not psionic but also not magical" clause in reality revision, or wish for that matter.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-14, 04:08 PM
I believe Magic-Psionic Transparency merely says anti-magic affects psionic, and anti-psionic affects magic. It doesn't say the two are equal. I could be wrong here, so some RAW quotes would be nice.

PaucaTerrorem
2017-09-14, 04:38 PM
Ask your DM. Otherwise this is gonna turn into a 'yes it can/no it can't' thread real quick.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-14, 05:35 PM
From Magic Item Compendium

If you are using the Psionics Is Different variant (EPH 65),
then an item created by a psionic character using a psionic
item creation feat would be a psionic item. The guidelines given
above should be used to determine the psionic item’s feat and
power prerequisites.

This paragraph explicitly says a psionic character can create a magic item even though he used a psionic crafting feat, manifester levels, and psionic powers to craft the item, which means magic = psionic in everyway.

Counter argument though, Why is there a difference in the form of use magic device and use psionic device if they are the same?

Separate skills means psionic and magic are different things, yet here we have psionic characters crafting magic items.

I still stand by that in either case, Reality Revision can craft psionic items regardless of whether psionic = magic or not.

Crake
2017-09-14, 05:43 PM
From Magic Item Compendium

This paragraph explicitly says a psionic character can create a magic item even though he used a psionic crafting feat, manifester levels, and psionic powers to craft the item, which means magic = psionic in everyway.

Counter argument though, Why is there a difference in the form of use magic device and use psionic device if they are the same?

Separate skills means psionic and magic are different things, yet here we have psionic characters crafting magic items.

I still stand by that in either case, Reality Revision can craft psionic items regardless of whether psionic = magic or not.

That's not the question though (not to mention very clearly acceptable by RAW). The question is, if you wanted to use reality revision to create magic items, do you use the line about 25,000gp nonpsionic items, or do you use the line about creating psionic items, using psionics/magic transparency. It's either one or the other.

Personally, considering that wish also has a line about creating a 25,000gp nonmagical item, I would imagine what they mean by nonpsionic/nonmagic is "mundane".

weckar
2017-09-14, 05:44 PM
Between books it is VERY nebulous whether transparency or difference is meant to be the variant rule.

gogogome
2017-09-14, 05:50 PM
The difference between magic and psionics is the difference between arcane and divine. Arcane, Divine, and Psionic are 3 different forms of magic. Sometimes there is a distinction, such as scrolls, sometimes there is not, like form MiC. When there is a distinction, you need to be arcane, divine, psionic, or need UMD or UPD. When there is no distinction, you don't.