PDA

View Full Version : The GenCon Survival Guide

Ranis
2007-08-13, 09:48 AM
I am happy to bring you the unabridged GenCon Survival Guide for those of you whom may not know quite what to expect at GenCon this year or how to prepare.

GenCon Survival Guide

The absolute most important thing you need to remember about bringing or preparing ANYTHING to GenCon is that is can and will get stolen if you do not have it on your person in some way shape or form.
Some general tips for keeping your things safe:

Guys:
You wear a wallet. I know you do. During GenCon you may want to put your wallet in one of your front pockets.
If you don't want to do that, then I suggest wearing pants that have some kind of button in the back of them that twist or snap in place.
Check your wallet often. Every five minutes, if it makes you feel better. Just continually make sure that it's there over the course of your GenCon experience.

Gals:
DO NOT BRING A PURSE TO GENCON. IT WILL GET STOLEN.
From what I've seen, you all have wallet-esque things in there anyway. Bring those if you can.
If not, it just might be a superb idea to go spend ten bucks and get a man-wallet.

In General:
If you bring a bag with you, make sure that it is distinctive enough that you can easily tell the difference between yours and Smelly Star Wars Nerd In His 40s B's. Con artists are extremely crafty.
Carry emergency money in a different part of your person just in case of the unfortunate event of your primary location of money getting stolen or going AWOL. Carry it in your shoe. Duct-tape it to your chest. Ladies, you have special hiding places.
Take everything at face value if you are not a good immediate judge of character.
Ladies, do NOT, under any circumstances, walk alone. Walk with a friend at all times. Being independent isn't worth making yourself vulnerable to these closet nerds who probably only see women that openly like the same things they do four days per year.

Bags
It is highly recommended that you bring a bag with you in which you will put the things you buy or get for free. It is not suggested that you bring a backpack, for two reasons. One, it is easy to nab something out of a backpack when it's wearer is standing still. Two, it can be killer on your back when that sucker gets heavy. I'll be wearing my messenger bag, personally, plenty of room in it and it doesn't get cluttered; though what you bring is your choice. Just let it be known that you will get a crapload of free stuff, especially on the first day, and you'll need somewhere to put it. What I always do is get one of those large plastic GenCon bags and put all of my free crap in it, and don't guard it as closely as my messenger bag. That way, if it gets stolen, oh crap it was free stuff anyway.

Bring anything that you plan on using for events that you plan on attending. For D&D players, this means the PHB, any splat books you intend on bringing, dice, several pencils, and if you're like me, a calculator.
For card games, let it be known that if you bring your entire collection with you to GenCon, you have basically painted a giant bullseye on your chest for those folk who would and are very good at taking your things. I suggest just bringing a few decks that you plan on using that day, and rotating across the days if you want.
If you would set your bag down to participate in a demo, or anything for that matter, put the bag in between your feet slightly in front of you, under the table slightly if possible, but keep it in between your legs. This will help create the illusion that you don't have anything that anyone can easily pilfer.

Valuables
The most valuable thing that I would ever recommend bringing to GenCon is a camera. Unless you are participating in a miniatures event, in which case you'll be guarding your mini's case like a guard dog anyway, bringing anything of significant personal or monetary value just simply isn't a good idea.

Food
It is a good idea to bring munchies with you, because by the time you may get hungry for lunch, it just might be 5PM. Bring foods that are good at supplying energy but will not make you crash; aka bringing candy and soda isn't recommended. I suggest bringing granola bars, trail mix :thumbsup:, and an energy drink such as Gatorade. Bringing munchies like this is a good way to keep your energy level up so you can enjoy the convention without burning out and needing to spend that time to go and do something as trivial and human as eating. Something substantial, that is.

Money
Bring an appropriate amount of money to keep your wallet happy with the things that you will be doing event-wise.

Your average D&D event lasts two to four hours and will run you twelve to fifteen dollars.
Your average drafting event(for just about anything, MTG, YGO, Minis) will run you twelve to fifteen dollars and will last anywhere from thirty minutes to upwards past two hours.
There are also several shows at GenCon, some free and some cost to get in. Their prices vary.
{If I left anything out of the prices-for-events list, let me know and I'll fill it in.)

General Tips

Listen to your body. It is easy to get swept up in all of the awesomeness that is GenCon, but holding it in just isn't healthy.
It's estimated that over $300,000 worth of stuff is stolen at GenCon each year. Take the appropriate measure that yours doesn't become a part of that number.
Don't make fun of the uber-nerds. It's not nice. Plus that little guy is scary when he gets fifty of his friends over with him with that walkie-talkie on his waist.
It is a good idea to do periodic checks of everything on your person throughout the day just to make sure it's there. Remember what you brought that day and check accordingly.
If you are cosplaying on Saturday, you may want to bring less to carry with you than you do on any of the other days. It makes it easier when you keep getting swamped by people who want their picture with you and you have to keep setting your stuff down each time to do it.

Following just a few of these helpful suggestions can help your GenCon experience go over that much more smoothly. Enjoy!

Thes Hunter
2007-08-13, 10:04 AM
Listen to your body. It is easy to get swept up in all of the awesomeness that is GenCon, but holding it in just isn't healthy.
It's estimated that over $300,000 worth of stuff is stolen at GenCon each year. Take the appropriate measure that yours doesn't become a part of that number.
It is a good idea to do periodic checks of everything on your person throughout the day just to make sure it's there. Remember what you brought that day and check accordingly.

GEN CON must have gotten worse than when I last went there. Since I have never had a problem walking alone at Origins, or any other convention, even Gen Con. But the last Gen Con I attended was in Milwaukee.

Also, I have never had a problem with my backpack before. I am sure part of that 300,000 number is theft from vendors. Since most vendors I would imagine would have a hard time with security. Though I am sure theft happens from the attendees, I would think that those people with valuable collections of magic cards (or the like), cool looking cosplay stuffs, and etc are more at risk than random people being pickpocketed.

Not saying that pickpocketing can't happen. These sorts of crowds draw pickpockets, but your advice sounds more like for those going to things like Mardi Gras or a World Cup match. But then again, I could be wrong. You are the one who has been going to it recently. I would hate to think things have gotten that bad.

Rykaj
2007-08-13, 10:04 AM
Wow, insane precautions. How many people go to gencon anyway? $300,000 dollars is a lot to get stolen. GenCon, or maybe thiefCon or ConCon, doesn't sound all that fun to me.

Ranis
2007-08-13, 10:32 AM
Alarra, all I'm really trying to say is that it's better to be safe than sorry, y'know?

My first trip ended up a complete disaster because I got pickpocketed. I want to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-13, 10:36 AM
Alarra, all I'm really trying to say is that it's better to be safe than sorry, y'know?

My first trip ended up a complete disaster because I got pickpocketed. I want to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else.

Ack! Sorry to hear you got pickpocketed. Ick that sucks man that you were speaking from personal experience.

and 2, I am not Alarra. =]

Swedish chef
2007-08-13, 10:38 AM
Wow. the Cons overseas sound quite dangerous actually. Our largest cons over here take 100-1500something visitors (smaller country you know) and one maybe two people loose things in "mysterious ways". Most of these are because outside people got in and stole the binder full of magic cards, the wallet, the books, someones trousers. I never have to worry about leaving my loot where I sleep (clarification: Cons in Sweden are held in schools of some sort, highschools universities or such. People sleep in the classrooms and many of these rooms are set to host events such as roleplayingscenarios durin daytime so quite a lot of people pass in and out).

Archonic Energy
2007-08-13, 10:39 AM
and 2, I am not Alarra. =]

no you're Charity :smallwink:

what, you think i'd let that one slide?

Jibar
2007-08-13, 10:45 AM
Speaking of not letting things slide,

someones trousers.

Please, for the love of God, say that this did not actually happen.

Ranis
2007-08-13, 10:46 AM
Wow. the Cons overseas sound quite dangerous actually. Our largest cons over here take 100-1500something visitors (smaller country you know) and one maybe two people loose things in "mysterious ways". Most of these are because outside people got in and stole the binder full of magic cards, the wallet, the books, someones trousers. I never have to worry about leaving my loot where I sleep (clarification: Cons in Sweden are held in schools of some sort, highschools universities or such. People sleep in the classrooms and many of these rooms are set to host events such as roleplayingscenarios durin daytime so quite a lot of people pass in and out).

GenCon pulls about 6000 people per day, and it pulls a LOT of people out of the woodworks. Sometimes less than honorable people.

And Thes-I wouldn't say pickpocketed, so much as robbed blind. My first trip I brought a MTG binder filled with cards that I'd spent about $700 on total, and $500 in my wallet, along with everything I had bought that day.

All of it. Now I'm sure this doesn't happen to the extent that you need to be ultra-super-cautious, but be aware that it does happen and that you don't want it happening to you.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-13, 10:51 AM
no you're Charity :smallwink:

And looking quite lovely in that skirt:

http://theboard.byu.edu/filelib/Images/111376.jpg

Amotis
2007-08-13, 10:57 AM
Check your wallet often. Every five minutes, if it makes you feel better. Just continually make sure that it's there over the course of your GenCon experience.[/list]

Nah, probably not the best thing. Be conscious that you have it, feel the weight and the preasure of it in your pocket, but don't keep patting your pocket. It instantly shows where you have your wallet carried on you. Just like those signs that say "BEWARE OF PITPOCKETERS!" that pitpocketers put up so people pat themselves down, making sure it's there, while showing the person watching where they keep it.

Zherog
2007-08-13, 11:15 AM
Just as a counter point...

I've been to GenCon every year since '03. I've never had any problems, nor have a heard of any of my friends having problems. Taking precautions is certainly not a bad idea, of course. I just don't want people to get the impression that GenCon is nothing but a band of roaming thieves.

Alarra
2007-08-13, 11:24 AM
Truth be told...90% of the people there will be wearing backpacks. I wore a backpack all gencon and the only problem I had was that one of my oots buttons fell off and got lost. I've never actually known anyone that's had any troubles or gotten anything stolen. I mean, okay....if you set your bag down somewhere and leave it unattended that's one thing. (don't do that you dolt!) but I don't think people pickpocketing you is really that common a problem. I mean, sure, there are a lot of people there, and any time you get a large crowd together there will be some issues like that, but I don't think it's anywhere to the extent you're claiming. And good grief, I walked around gencon alone at night. It's no more dangerous than walking around any large city at night.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-13, 11:31 AM
If I may also add, bring soap, shampoo, deodorant, and do not be afraid to use it either on yourself or others. :smallwink:

People are shocked and confused at first whenever you reach up under their shirt and start spraying at their armpits and many will struggle, but after they get that initial smell of something other than body odor, approximately 86% will calm down almost instantly and some will even submit to a soaping if necessary.

Zherog
2007-08-13, 11:46 AM
It's no more dangerous than walking around any large city at night.

Heh. I think it's safer than a lot of large cities.

Ranis
2007-08-13, 11:49 AM
Hmm, maybe this only happens with people that I know. =/ The first time I went I got pickpocketed for about $700 while someone was distracting me, and the same thing has happened to three of my other friends, though they haven't lost quite as much as I did initially. Looking at this again, it does kinda look somewhat harsh. These are just the precautions I take to make sure my things stay my things.

Argent
2007-08-13, 11:57 AM
If I may also add, bring soap, shampoo, deodorant, and do not be afraid to use it either on yourself or others. :smallwink:

People are shocked and confused at first whenever you reach up under their shirt and start spraying at their armpits and many will struggle, but after they get that initial smell of something other than body odor, approximately 86% will calm down almost instantly and some will even submit to a soaping if necessary.

Hear, hear. Hygiene was always an issue at past 'cons, and I have no reason to believe it's gotten any better. Unfortunately, the last time I was there, security wouldn't let me through the door with the power washer full of soapy water that I'd brought with me.

Eldred
2007-08-13, 12:19 PM

Hehe, in regard to that...

Comic (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070716)

Vonriel
2007-08-13, 12:31 PM
Someone should make that comic into a shirt and wear it to the con... :smalltongue:

potatocubed
2007-08-13, 04:44 PM
Nah, probably not the best thing. Be conscious that you have it, feel the weight and the preasure of it in your pocket, but don't keep patting your pocket.

I always walk around with my hands in my pockets. It cost me two front teeth when I was about five, but they grew back. :smalltongue:

And I would like to add my voice to the calls for hygiene. I remember reading a guide ages ago which recommended one proper sit-down meal every day, one shower every day, and GET SOME SLEEP, but had jokes and things. I wish I knew what I'd done with it...

Mr. Moon
2007-08-13, 07:33 PM
Well, GenCon just lost a lot of charm, fast. Looks like I'll have to go to some boring anime con instead. :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-13, 07:34 PM
The smell issue with gamers is not just the lack of showers and lack of deodorant.

If you don't sweat you can go a couple days without smelling.
However, what I think contributes to the smell more is mildew. That smell isn't going to go away just with showering or deodorant. I might be stereotyping, but I think us gamers are more likely to forget our laundry in the washer machine because we got sucked into WOW and just grabbed it real quick and threw it in the dryer. Or didn't dry it fully and it ended up being 'put away' on our bedroom floor, or we live in wet mildewy places like basements.

So, I don't think it's just showering and deodorant that will do it. I think laundry education needs to go along with it. Maybe leave fliers with which hotels near there have washing machines. :smallwink:

Tobimaro
2007-08-13, 07:53 PM
Someone should make that comic into a shirt and wear it to the con... :smalltongue:

If I could only get a photo of one of my shirts from Anime Central. They make two shirts for their convention. One a theme shirt, and the other is their "Got Soap?" shirt.

I kid you not. I own several of the earlier versions. But I did not get the first one, which featured a Rei Ayanami soap-on-a-rope. :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-13, 08:16 PM
I wonder if anyone ever made a soap, the fresh maker! shirt. :smallsmile:

Tobimaro
2007-08-13, 10:12 PM
To be honest, what the thread starter says makes a lot of sense. But this is also true for many gatherings that have a lot of people. There are always going to be opportunists in any large crowd. Of course those opportunists have paid to get into this gathering, so they are looking to get back their investment with other's property.

I like the idea of taking trail mix (or other healthy snack food) and Gatorade (or some other good drink), and not taking all of your money at once is something I have done in the past while attending other conventions. I will have a couple of bags that I will be carrying on Friday and Saturday, but I am judging those days for the RPGA, so I can keep those in a safer place. Otherwise I plan on carrying a shoulder bag that I can keep an eye on, and a convention bag for my freebies (my first day is free and I plan on getting as much free stuff as possible).

Have fun at GenCon (I plan on that). :smallcool:

Hannes
2007-08-14, 12:29 AM
Well, the pickpocketing gets owned if you're like me and like to wear jackets in summer. Simply put your wallet in your inside chest pocket!
EDIT: Or get a wallet-thingie which goes around your neck and stays under your shirt.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-14, 01:26 AM
I intend to wear a cloak. Pickpocket me through that, why don't you? :smalltongue:

Otterella
2007-08-14, 01:26 AM
I think us gamers are more likely to forget our laundry in the washer machine because we got sucked into WOW and just grabbed it real quick and threw it in the dryer.

Crap! Thanks for reminding me! Stupid WoW... *runs off to the laundry room*

Swedish chef
2007-08-14, 03:49 AM
Please, for the love of God, say that this did not actually happen.

Not that i knopw of anyway. If it has happened it's probably more like some zombie gamer misplaces them after 48 hours of non stop gaming running on soda, candy and junkfood. In that state anything can happen :D (No I have not "misplaced" my pants at con)

Kitya
2007-08-14, 11:53 AM
Another rule, don't wear a kilt if Jennie Breeden is going to be there. *chuckles*