PDA

View Full Version : full list of powers for the seven dwarven rings of power

markyboy156
2017-09-14, 05:47 PM
hi all

i want a full list of abilities and powers that the seven Septs of the Dwarves rings have
or i should say for the seven dwarven rings of powers
From the lore of my own (homebrewed) world: The Septstones.

In my world, there are seven Septs of the Dwarves (great underground city-states, each with their own culture), based on gemstones (Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz, Amethyst and Opal (plus the

Categories

Obsidian Sept, but that's for Duergar)).

The Septstones basically are just symbols of power. They are rings worn by the Thanes of the Septs, the [elected among the same bloodline] leaders of each Sept. Each is a potent magical ring (major artifact level), but what makes them important to the dwarves is what they represent.dition

i want full background on these rings and full list of each rings abilities
for d&d 3.5 e or 4th edition or 5th edition and for rolemaster editions as well thanks and any other info available thanks
if no body can find any info
can anybody please put together the powers and abilities and full background and info these rings have

Venger
2017-09-14, 05:52 PM
are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

ATHATH
2017-09-14, 05:59 PM
Someone should sig this.

Venger
2017-09-14, 06:27 PM
Someone should sig this.

anyone who wants to has my permission

JNAProductions
2017-09-14, 06:40 PM

I think they are.

umbergod
2017-09-14, 06:52 PM
Theyre asking for the powers of the 7 dwarven rings of power in LotR

Venger
2017-09-14, 06:55 PM
Theyre asking for the powers of the 7 dwarven rings of power in LotR

From the lore of my own (homebrewed) world: The Septstones.
No, it's from his original setting

umbergod
2017-09-14, 06:57 PM
No, it's from his original setting

I get that. Theyre adapting them, but to do so they need to know the lotr powers, least thats how I'm reading it

Edit: i'm basing this on a quick google search of "7 dwarven rings of power" pulls up lotr specific results

Venger
2017-09-14, 06:59 PM
I get that. Theyre adapting them, but to do so they need to know the lotr powers, least thats how I'm reading it

Hopefully, markyboy156 will clarify for us

markyboy156
2017-09-14, 10:07 PM
Hopefully, markyboy156 will clarify for us

hi

i need to no for botha d&d and middle earth

ATHATH
2017-09-14, 10:11 PM
hi

I... Uh... What?

Tohsaka Rin
2017-09-14, 10:27 PM
hi

Here you go (http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=lord+of+the+rings+wiki+dwarven+rings+of+power).

Hope that helps.

TheYell
2017-09-14, 11:04 PM
The FULL powers were never given since the 7 all went back to Sauron anyway or were devoured by dragons. Long life and wealth were part of it, but not invulnerability, since whosis got taken by the Necromancer while in possession of the last ring. (Forget whether it was Thrain or Thror)

You invented the setting, I'd invent a base set of powers for any of the rings and then give a specific power for the appropriate gemstone. You're on target making Obsidian for the Duergar. What about a city-state's culture makes Ruby the appropriate expression and Diamond a bad fit?

as a suggestion for themes

Diamond :Defensive Power
Ruby : Offensive Power
Emerald : Illusions
Sapphire: Divinations
Topaz: Health
Amethyst: Languages
Opal: Mastery of Earth Element
Obsidian: Death

but you might say "That's totally off base" based on your special knowledge of your dwarves, and nobody can do anything but throw up ideas blindly.

ArendK
2017-09-15, 07:32 AM
I... Uh... What?

It's too early for drinking this early...I just woke up and stumbled into work. This is the 4th thread I've seen this morning that makes me want to kick puppies.

Psyren
2017-09-15, 09:47 AM
They don't exist in D&D (Tolkien's estate was unhappy enough with them as it is for using "hobbits" and "ents" early on.)

Within LotR their powers are vague at best. Though I'm sure Warner Bros. will mine that particular well eventually if Shadow of War sells well.

ATHATH
2017-09-15, 11:36 AM
You could go with the Vegitales versions of the rings, whose powers were explicitly defined, IIRC.

Eox
2017-09-15, 11:42 AM
A pretty good rule of thumb for designing sets of artifacts like this is that if there's seven or eight, associate them with the schools of magic and drop whichever remaining school doesn't fit. Then figure out a rough power level and look at spells of those schools at that level.

Also, do what ATHATH said.

gkathellar
2017-09-15, 01:14 PM
The rings of power do not, IIRC, have named unique abilities. Tolkein's magic is intuitive, not functional.

Yahzi
2017-09-15, 08:32 PM
Hope that helps.
I was like "Who would put work into helping a question this broad and lazy" and then I clicked on your link.

Well done. :smallbiggrin:

Tohsaka Rin
2017-09-15, 10:26 PM
I was like "Who would put work into helping a question this broad and lazy" and then I clicked on your link.

Well done. :smallbiggrin:

*Bows.* Honestly, the satisfaction is knowing people enjoy my work.

That, and the False Nose of Vecna. That one's purely for me to enjoy for giggles.

Feantar
2017-09-16, 02:55 AM
The FULL powers were never given since the 7 all went back to Sauron anyway or were devoured by dragons. Long life and wealth were part of it, but not invulnerability, since whosis got taken by the Necromancer while in possession of the last ring. (Forget whether it was Thrain or Thror)...

It was Thrain the 2nd, Thorin's father. Thror is his grandfather. Good memory.

Onto the main point...

The rings' of power powers(power power power:smalltongue:) are very difficult to pin down, not because they are not detailed but because they always depend on the wearer. The closest approximation would be to make them some kind of item of legacy.

The 7 rings specifically were very vague on their powers because they were wielded by dwarves who both had a bit of an innate resistance to temptation and a general tendency to not work well with the type of "magic" the rings were made of.

In general, these could be said to be their powers when they were worn by dwarven lords:

Functional Immortality(Longevity+)
Wealth Accumulation(Connected to 3)
Greed Amplification

However, should creatures of a different nature and weaker will wear the 5, they would probably become like the Nazgul in time.

The rings of power, all the rings of power, amplify the wearer. The weaker the ring, the less amplified the wearer is. That was the original concept. Of course, with Sauron fiddling with them, they also amplify his influence over them, which is then amplified again as their nature changes (think of a feedback loop of eeeeviiiiil). I think the immortality is a constant because every living being wishes to survive.

Malacandra
2017-09-16, 03:17 AM
It was Thrain the 2nd, Thorin's father. Thror is his grandfather. Good memory.

Right. At one point in the story (the Council of Elrond) it's mentioned that part of Balin's reason for his expedition to Moria was the hope of recovering one of the Dwarf-rings, and Gandalf replied "Balin will find no ring in Moria. Thror gave it to Thrain, but not Thrain to Thorin. It was taken from him with torment in the dungeons of Dol Guldur. I came too late". At which news Gloin laments and moves on to the subject of the Elf-rings, only to be told "The first rule of Elf-ring Club is that you don't talk about Elf-ring Club," more or less.