PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yet Another 5E Weapon Redo

foobar1969
2017-09-14, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I know a dozen other people have posted equivalent lists, nevertheless I'd like to hear opinions on mine. I am only including items where I have made changes (marked in italic) so any missing items are PHB standard.

Crude weapons and tools are still simple proficiency, but they're explicitly inferior items, not well-suited to make things stop living. Sometimes a Chaos Sabre isn't available and you just need to make do with what you find.

Other than those, the actual simple & martial weapons are supposed to be fairly well balanced.

Edit: v0.2

Name

Category

Type
Damage
Hands
Finesse
Light
Range
Distance

Rock
crude
melee
bludgeoning
1d4

Thrown
15 / 60

Sharpened Pole

crude
melee
piercing
1d4
Versatile

Club, Great
crude
melee
bludgeoning
1d6
Versatile

Heavy

Knife
tool
melee
piercing
1d3

Finesse
Light

Cleaver

tool
melee
slashing
1d4

Light

Pick

tool
melee
piercing
1d6
Versatile

Heavy

Sickle
simple
melee
slashing
1d4

Finesse
Light

Mace
simple
melee
bludgeoning
1d6

Light

Axe, Wood

simple
melee
slashing
1d6
Versatile

Sling
simple
ranged
bludgeoning
1d4

Finesse

Ammo
30 / 120

Bow, Short
simple
ranged
piercing
1d6
2 Hand
Dex

Ammo
100 / 300

Flail / War Hammer

martial

melee
bludgeoning
1d8

Versatile

Morningstar
martial
melee
piercing
1d8
Versatile

Trident
martial
melee
piercing
3d2
Versatile

Heavy
Thrown
20 / 60

Bow, Long
martial
ranged
piercing
1d8
2 Hand
Dex
Heavy
Ammo
150 / 450

Crossbow, Heavy
martial
ranged
piercing
1d10
2 Hand
Dex
Heavy
Load
120 / 480

Nunchaku
unusual
melee
bludgeoning
1d6

Finesse
Light

Flail, Fey

unusual

melee

bludgeoning

1d6

Versatile

Finesse

Pike, Fey

unusual
melee
piercing
1d8
2 Hand
Finesse

Reach

Sword, Fey
unusual
melee
slashing
1d8

Finesse

Blowgun
unusual
ranged
piercing
1d4

Dex

Load
30 / 60

Lalliman
2017-09-15, 03:23 AM
You've removed most of the weird redundancies in the vanilla list, so that's good. I have a few questions though.

1. Why is a knife worse than a sharpened stick? Are you picturing a bread knife? Cause I'm picturing a steak knife.

2. What's the difference between a hatchet and a wood axe, thematically speaking?

3. The hatchet is 1d4 light and the cleaver is 1d6. Shouldn't it be opposite? Axes made for chopping wood are heavy, heavier than battleaxes. A cleaver is a knife for cutting meat, there's no reason those would be hard to dual wield.

4. The flail as a low-damage finesse weapon is totally contrary to what it's actually like. In real life, they're very powerful and very clumsy, and it's thought that they were employed as a single-use opening move. You whack your enemy with it as hard as you can and hope it kills them. If not, you toss it aside and use something more wieldy. I wouldn't expect you to make a mechanic that represents this accurately, but this is just odd. In my homebrew system, flails have an exceptionally large damage die but take a penalty on attack rolls.

5. Trident as a 3d2 is pretty fun, but what happens when you two-hand it? 3d3?

foobar1969
2017-09-15, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

1. Blade length on a steak knife is half that of a dagger, so I figure the damage should be less. The stick is more of a wooden pole, like a spear without metal for the tip.

2. Wood axes are about 3 feet long. Thematically they're there to complete the simple 1d6 versatile group.

3. Good point about the blades. I'm having a hard time coming up with a common implement that fits 1d6 non-light slashing. Guess I should eliminate it.

4. Also true about the flail. Back to being a duplicate warhammer.

5. Yes, 3d3, glad you like it.

Andrezitos
2017-10-23, 04:16 PM
Can I give a suggestion of a really cool (IMO) feature DnD weapons lacks: attack speed and reach. For example:
Fast weapons like daggers could do extra damage if the attacker hits both times with an advantageous attack, for example, but would be unable to do AoO due their short reach.

You could create rules for bottom heavy (swords), top heavy (axes and hammers) and shaft weapon to further differentiate them, and be more realistic at same time.

I know reach and speed are not easy to implement, but in doing so the game would have another strategic option for players to explore.