PDA

View Full Version : Please criticize my alteration of the evasion ability.

frogglesmash
2017-09-14, 09:20 PM
The basic idea is to have evasion to allow you to move a small distance on a successful save (I'm thinking between 5 and 10 feet) and improved evasion would probably increase the distance as well as allowing to take half damage even on a failed save.
The reason behind the change is to increase verisimilitude without greatly diminishing the usefulness of evasion.

Venger
2017-09-14, 09:27 PM
The basic idea is to have evasion to allow you to move a small distance on a successful save (I'm thinking between 5 and 10 feet) and improved evasion would probably increase the distance as well as allowing to take half damage even on a failed save.
The reason behind the change is to increase verisimilitude without greatly diminishing the usefulness of evasion.

I assume moving is an addition to evasion/imp evasion's effects? if so, that's good.

if you're saying evasion only lets you move, that's too weak.

this is similar to the cunning evasion feat, so you may look there for exact specifis or as a jumping of point.

Feantar
2017-09-15, 02:24 PM
Anything that makes the rogue stronger is generally fine; this doesn't make it particularly useful but it might help with positioning - and thus flanking. So, good idea. Evasion isn't extremely powerful, it's just very useful in its niche.

Also, it fits thematically - a rogue uses the flash of a fireball to their advantage.

edathompson2
2017-09-15, 03:44 PM
I like it, a lot. I'll add that to my game.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-15, 07:09 PM
So basically the Evasion ability has Cunning Evasion built in? I like it, though I'd rather make it Rogue/Ninja exclusive as a buff to them.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-15, 07:11 PM
So basically the Evasion ability has Cunning Evasion built in? I like it, though I'd rather make it part of Improved Evasion, so Rogues actually have a reason to take it.

Necroticplague
2017-09-15, 07:28 PM
You should make sure to put a limit based on movement speed built into the ability. otherwise, you'll end up with ridiculous scenarios like the one 4e monks had where you'll have people intentionally get targeted by attacks so they can move faster. And anything where a person can think of ridiculous abuses like that the second they read of it probably isn't ready for prime time (the fact DnD already has such stupidity being no excuse for you to do an equally crappy job). While grenade-jumping may be kinda funny in video games, I don't think it's something you wanna bring into tabletop.

martixy
2017-09-15, 07:46 PM

Haven't we been through this already?

I feel like every month there's a thread that goes "but what if evasion let you move?".

I'd allow the movement as an immediate action.

I don't think either is a good idea though. Let evasion do its job. If you really wanted to let people have an emergency move, use something else.

Pleh
2017-09-16, 11:22 AM
You should make sure to put a limit based on movement speed built into the ability. otherwise, you'll end up with ridiculous scenarios like the one 4e monks had where you'll have people intentionally get targeted by attacks so they can move faster. And anything where a person can think of ridiculous abuses like that the second they read of it probably isn't ready for prime time (the fact DnD already has such stupidity being no excuse for you to do an equally crappy job). While grenade-jumping may be kinda funny in video games, I don't think it's something you wanna bring into tabletop.

Should work fine for gentleman's agreement. I think any rule set strict enough to perfectly eliminate wonky results is too rigorous and stifles creativity (which is half the point of playing tabletop rather than a video game).

I don't expect anyone, professional or amateur, to plan a perfect system than other people playing for hours can't find some way to break, unless you just have an unbreakably simple game (thus leading to the inability to really get creative with it).

Especially with Cunning Evasion already being in the RAW. It's a good enough rule to put a tabletop game together and that's all it needs to be.

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-16, 11:46 AM
Haven't we been through this already?

I feel like every month there's a thread that goes "but what if evasion let you move?".

Really? I can't recall seeing one, especially considering there are already feats that allow you to do it. I mean, I know that it's hard to exactly imagine how a character can dodge a fireball without moving out of the way, but I've not seen many attempts to actually house-rule it.

IMO, this seems like a fairly decent house-rule, but I think it needs a little clarification. Would you HAVE to move in order to activate Evasion? Or is it just a bonus? Can you do it multiple times in a round, and does that impact your ability to move on the following round? How far can you move, and is that dependent on your Speed? Do you need to completely clear the area of effect?

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-16, 11:39 PM
What if Improved Evasion did this, and only granted its current effect if you get out of the area of effect?Something like "You escaped the explosion, but (failed reflex save) just barely. Take half damage."

Would that be good? Opens up positioning and movement options even in areas it no longer fully protects you in, which I think is somewhat more valuable than a flat defense

Nifft
2017-09-17, 02:15 AM
Rogues getting more mobility?

That's fine by me.