PDA

View Full Version : Targeted Contingency Spell

TheCryingApple
2017-09-14, 10:40 PM
Hello, I'd like to ask, how would I go about creating an item (or weapon) that discharges a specific spell on the target of a specific action?

I looked into contingent spells, but those only work on spells that are to be cast on one's self.
I'm looking for contingency, but for a spell targeting someone else.

For example:
Creating a glove that casts Baleful Polymorph on someone I hit in a specific way (thus removing the option of discharging it on a touch)
Creating a visor that allows me to cast curse on those I wink at.
etc, etc.

ryu
2017-09-14, 11:12 PM
Look up craft contingent spell. Otherwise known as debatably one of the strongest feats in the entire game.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-14, 11:24 PM
Items/Weapons would only be custom and would need DM approval.

Other "official" ways to get the "effect":

- Craft Contingent Spell:
The crafted Contingent Spell doesn't have the limitation of the spell and can have any condition, any spell and any target. Downside is, the single charge and expensive costs.

- Arcane Fusion (Sorcerers only spell!)
A Sorcerer (lvl15) could use "Contingency" (spell) with Arcane Fusion (personal range spell). While Arcane Fusion itself has a personal range, you can combine a 1st lvl and a 4th lvl spell in it and these don't have the Contingency restriction anymore. I know, very cheesy & strong, but it RAW!

Imho a magic item trying to imitate any of these would be ridiculously overpriced and therefore not realistic.

Imho your best bet would be to roll sorcerer casting ;)

Where him?
2017-09-15, 12:11 AM
The Best Craft Contingent Spell is always Arcane Fusion/Greater, Arcane Fusion. You need be a Sorcerer.

Also, if you want bypass Craft Contingent Spell cost. Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion (level 7 spell adjusted) and Reserve of Strengh + Contingency Spell (then, you can use contingent spell with level 7 spell). Now, you can use Greater Arcane Fusion as Contingency Spell.

TheCryingApple
2017-09-15, 12:48 AM
But when you use contingency on a spell modified with Arcane Fusion, I think the DM has a fair case to say "The fused spell now targets you by default."

And I assumed Craft contingent spell functioned under the same principle as Contingency.
Upon reading the passage on contingent spells in Complete Arcane, it seems it would function as the above quote.

For those curious, the phrasing in CA is:
"...Once triggered, a contingent spell takes immediate effect upon the bearer..."

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-15, 02:18 AM
But when you use contingency on a spell modified with Arcane Fusion, I think the DM has a fair case to say "The fused spell now targets you by default."

And I assumed Craft contingent spell functioned under the same principle as Contingency.
Upon reading the passage on contingent spells in Complete Arcane, it seems it would function as the above quote.

For those curious, the phrasing in CA is:
"...Once triggered, a contingent spell takes immediate effect upon the bearer..."

Let's look at how Arcane Fusion works:

When you cast this spell, choose any 1st-level sorcerer spell you know and any 4th-level or lower sorcerer spell you know. Neither spell chosen can have a casting time longer than 1 standard action. Both spells take effect in the order you choose, as if you had cast them one after the other using only one standard action, but you don't expend any additional spell slots to cast those spells. Effectively, you cast two other spells using this spell's 5th-level spell slot. Each of the chosen spells has its normal effect, including range, target, area, duration, saving throw, and spell resistance as appropriate to the spell's level.

You choose the spells when the effect of Arcane Fusion happens, not when you cast Arcane Fusion. You don't need to choose the spells when casting the Contingency (spell) or crafting the Contingent Spell (feat).

Further Arcane Fusion gives you still full control of the included spells targets, range and other variables as when regular cast.

It's the effect of Arcane Fusion that lets you do this. And since AF is personal range itself (the effect is: you gain the ability to cast 2 spells this round, no one else), it is eligible for Contingency (spell).

edit: changed a sentence to prevent misinterpretation.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-15, 02:34 AM
Reserve of Strengh + Contingency Spell (then, you can use contingent spell with level 7 spell). Now, you can use Greater Arcane Fusion as Contingency Spell.

sry, but doesn't work out. Contingency Spell is hard capped by text:

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

Darth Ultron
2017-09-15, 06:39 AM
Hello, I'd like to ask, how would I go about creating an item (or weapon) that discharges a specific spell on the target of a specific action?

Is there a reason you can't just make a normal custom magic item? Just follow the formula in the Core Rules. Spell level with times a day and so forth.

The Gauntlet of Baleful Polymorph seems straight forward enough ''activate item, hit foe, discharge spell''. Exactly like dozens of other weapons/items.

The Helm of Cursed Gaze, again, seems fairly straightforward, maybe even just ''eyes'' or glasses.

Anthrowhale
2017-09-15, 07:44 AM
Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring) allows you to optionally discharge any standard action targeted L3- spell on hit with any melee weapon. The classic spell choice is Vampiric Touch for the no-save 10d6 damage, but you may be able to use Sanctum Spell on an otherwise-4th level spell since Sanctum Spell modifies the level on cast and a spellcaster casts the spell on the Spell Storing weapon to charge it up.

Where him?
2017-09-15, 09:01 AM
sry, but doesn't work out. Contingency Spell is hard capped by text:

Sry too =)

Reserve of Strengh removes the spell cap (Max +3 caster level).

When you cast a spell, you can decide to increase your caster level with that spell by 1, 2, or 3, but you are stunned for an equal number of rounds immediately after doing so. Your increased caster level affects all level-based variables of the spell, including range, area of effect, spell penetration, and the difficulty of dispelling the spell. You can exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell withthis feat, so a 9th-level wizard could use Reserves of Strength to cast a Fireball as a 12th-level wizard and deal 12d6 fire damage.

So, Reserve of Strengh + Contingency Spell = Now Maximum 7th level.
Sanctum Arcane Fusion, Greater is a level 7 spell.

Now, you can use Arcane Fusion, Greater as Contingency Spell

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-15, 01:40 PM
Sry too =)

Reserve of Strengh removes the spell cap (Max +3 caster level).

Oh, wasn't aware of that. Nice to know. Ty for pointing out my fail ;)