PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder can you adjust a concentration spell on the fly?

arkangel111
2017-09-15, 12:22 AM
for instance silent image is duration concentration, if I made a giant wasp image to distract opponents and waste their AoO's and the battle ends could I continue to concentrate and change the image to a hulking ogre to scare the next room? looking for reference's if you have it.

Kallimakus
2017-09-15, 12:39 AM
Personally, I see nothing to suggest this is possible. You can move The illusion within the 10ft cubes. As far as I can tell, the total area of the illusion is determined when casting, so unless the illusion area extends to the next room, you would be out of luck anyway.

The spell could be read more permissively, but this, I think, is what the spell does.

arkangel111
2017-09-15, 10:06 AM
I see nothing is specifically called out but the image isn't static either. For instance if I made a large dragon breathing fire it doesn't just sit there with flames constantly spewing from its mouth, an orc spellcaster could wave its arms and even have spell effects happening in the room. You specifically can have the images respond to combat.
All of those are pretty common uses of minor image and its upgrades. Couldn't you also have a vampire or werewolf change shape? I mean as long as the image isn't interacted with you can do quite a lot with it.

Crake
2017-09-15, 11:16 AM
I see nothing is specifically called out but the image isn't static either. For instance if I made a large dragon breathing fire it doesn't just sit there with flames constantly spewing from its mouth, an orc spellcaster could wave its arms and even have spell effects happening in the room. You specifically can have the images respond to combat.
All of those are pretty common uses of minor image and its upgrades. Couldn't you also have a vampire or werewolf change shape? I mean as long as the image isn't interacted with you can do quite a lot with it.

I believe he meant to say that the illusion couldn't be moved beyond the bounds of the illusion's area, which presumably doesn't extend into the next room, but there's nothing to stop you from changing the illusion to whatever you wish.

Psyren
2017-09-15, 12:07 PM
The "Direct an Active Spell" action should be able to do this. It's a move action, so you can do it without breaking concentration.

arkangel111
2017-09-15, 12:43 PM
my thoughts are that with an illusionist wizard and a familiar with the school familiar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/school-familiar-familiar-archetype/) archetype, so long as you stay in the range of the spell you could have a 24 hr illusion while not losing any castings. now minor image is not that great for this ability, so I am diving the spells to find some great combo's to see if it is worth it to lose deliver touch spells.