PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating thematic spell lists (for NPCs and others)

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-15, 06:31 AM
So one area that I find takes too much time as a DM is picking spells for spell-caster NPCs. I find the ones that are given in the MM too bland (a problem I have with the general D&D spell system) and unthematic.

This is a more general problem--as a scientist by training, specialization in advanced knowledge is a given. There's too much out there to be an expert on everything. D&D spell-casters (especially wizards, but...) have this magical ability to know of the existence of every spell out there and pick from this huge list. Great for optimization, but really really meta and non-character driven.

I would like to fix this, at least for the NPCs. My idea was to break all the spells into thematic lists and classify these lists as either allied, neutral, or opposed (to each other). That would mean that each NPC picks a main list, with possible substitutions to the allied lists. For example, a pyromancer's main list would be fire-based, with allied lists of light-oriented and shadow (since without light there's no shadows). Or something like this. These lists would cross what are now class-based spell lists.

What themes can people think of for spell-casters? Themes should be about how they do things, not as much their role (so more "manipulating literal fire" and less "blasting"). I'm not worried about optimal choices, I care about thematic coherence.

Examples:

Pyromancy
Motto: Everything will burn if it gets hot enough.
Iconic Spells: Fireball, Wall of Fire

Portals
Motto: I can get you there.
Iconic Spells: Dimension Door, Teleport, Misty Step

Edit: Published (PHB + EE + UA: Starter Spells) spells categorized into 30(!) themes. Google Sheet (Commentable) (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Of2RXwi0a3n0KWswQitrXjH6FHO_wCQk8zm6XWYRHxM/edit?usp=sharing)

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-15, 08:40 AM
The portal guy probably also knows hiw to Scry, or has an item to let him peep in on where he wants to be going. To make sure that he doesn't port into something nasty.

Beyond that, looks pretty good so far.
Pretty sure any Wizard/caster worth their salt will prep/know at least 2 damaging spells. Preferably of different elements, to deal with that nasty immunity.

Chromatic Orb should be a staple for any elemental mage for this very reason.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-16, 08:53 AM
So I went ahead and worked through all 421 1st-party published spells--that's the PHB, EE Player's Companion, and UA: Starter Spells. I have 30 themes so far, some broader than others. A link to the complete google doc is here (anyone can comment on the doc) (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Of2RXwi0a3n0KWswQitrXjH6FHO_wCQk8zm6XWYRHxM/edit?usp=sharing).

I'd appreciate another few sets of eyes suggesting possible themes for spells or rearrangements for better balance. Some themes are very scanty, some are too overloaded. This is especially true of high level (7-9th) spells.

Aeromancer
Motto: The winds are mine to command.

Alchemist
Motto: What happens if I mix this and that?
Note: This one is limited.

Animalist (better name needed)
Motto: Hey, some of my best friends are animals.

Anti-mage
Motto: Whatever you can do, I can undo.

Communications Mage (better name needed)
Motto: My voice is heard everywhere.

Conjurer
Motto: Panton ex nihil (everything comes from nothing)

Cryomancer
Motto: Some people just need to chill out.

Divine Warrior
Motto: For God and Right!

Gardener
Motto: Get off my lawn!

Geomancer
Motto: The stone abides.

Guardian
Motto: Over my dead body!

Healer
Motto: Don't worry, it'll feel better soon.

Hydromancer
Motto: Did you know that the human body is 70% water? And I control every bit of it?

Illusionist
Motto: Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?

Infernal
Motto: 'Tis better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven

Light-bringer
Motto: Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Mesmer (currently too overloaded)
Motto: Your will is mine / "Assuming direct control".

Necromancer
Motto: You will serve, whether in life or death it doesn't matter.

Planeswalker
Motto: Been there, seen that.

Purifier
Motto: By fire be purged!

Pyromancer
Motto: Burn baby burn!

Seer
Motto: Big Brother is watching / Who watches the watchers? I do.

Shadow-dweller
Motto: I was never here.

Spiritualist
Motto: I hear the voices of the spirits; they come at my command.

Temporalist (very limited)
Motto: No man can stay the hand of time. Except me.

Transmuter
Motto: A few little changes, that's all I need...

Transporter
Motto: I can get it there, no problem.

Void-walker
Motto: My home lies beyond reality, where the many-angled ones swim.

Witch
Motto: To me, my pretties <cackle>!