PDA

View Full Version : What school of magic should I pick with my level 1 Dwarf wizard going into level 2

Sir cryosin
2017-09-15, 08:36 AM
So I created a character for ToA I'm a Mt. Dwarf wizard. The stats I rolled are after modifications added.
Str 16
Dex12
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 13
Cha 8 Ac:15 hp:9
Background is soldier.
We have a big party with 6 players. Players are beast Ranger, wild magic Sorcerer, lore bard, some weird grappler mystic build, me, and something else I want to say Monk.
Last time we played we fought 3 zombies and were having a hard time killing them untel I casted sleep. We were down 2 players that night.

So I can't deside which tradition to go with.

Azgeroth
2017-09-15, 08:50 AM
divination is likely to be the most useful. portent is pretty powerful.

though you have quite a large party, so evocation could be useful.

then again, i have no idea what ToA is, or what your likely to encounter, so illusion or enchantment might also be a good way to go..

any idea what level you will be hitting? conjuration is good at higher levels, transmutations philosophers stone get some crazy good abilities at higher level.

but those are basically the best 6, pick from those based on your campaign, or flavour of character.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-15, 09:06 AM
ToA= tomb of annihilation a lot of undead, dinosaur, and jungle stuff. DM said he would like to take us pass the module and have these pic's go up to 20 but I wouldn't count on it to much.

On a side note I'm thinking maybe seeing if I can play a Thurgy wizard.

Consensus
2017-09-15, 09:12 AM
With those stats take abjuration wear medium armor and use Green fire blade or Booming Blade for melee attacks and be the melee wizard

Kobard
2017-09-15, 09:12 AM
For a dwarven soldier wizard? Why not Abjuration as a sort of war-mage?

Herobizkit
2017-09-16, 05:44 AM
I'm going to say Abjuration as well. Strap on some medium armor and go be a smash man.

Beechgnome
2017-09-16, 07:56 AM
I would say abjuration as well. You are built for tanking. Side question: you put zombies to sleep?

Sir cryosin
2017-09-16, 08:07 AM
I would say abjuration as well. You are built for tanking. Side question: you put zombies to sleep?

they're not immune to it.

smcmike
2017-09-16, 08:08 AM
Two schools scream "Soldier" to me: Abjuration and Evocation. Every other school can work, of course, but those two seem the most thematic.

There are two questions you should consider. How "tanky" is the rest of the party, and how much area of effect damage can they throw out? It isn't clear based upon the classes you listed how many front line characters there are. If there are three or more, I'd build for range, which means abjuration loses some of its allure. In terms of damage, if the Sorcerer is a blaster, you might not want to be redundant. On the other hand, sometimes two fireballs in the first rounds is twice as nice.

Beelzebubba
2017-09-16, 08:29 AM
We have a big party with 6 players. Players are beast Ranger, wild magic Sorcerer, lore bard, some weird grappler mystic build, me, and something else I want to say Monk.

I can't deside which tradition to go with.

You have a decent number of damage dealers and skills, so a battlefield controller would be fun - Abjuration or Conjuration would both be good.

I've done that before, and it's great to have half of the enemies stuck in a Web or being blown down a narrow corridor with Gust of Wind, while your martials slice and dice the rest.

IMO Treantmonk's Wizard Guide is required reading.

Beechgnome
2017-09-16, 09:35 AM
they're not immune to it.

The specific rule I was referring to is in the sleep spell description:

'Undead and creatures immune to being charmed aren't affected by this spell.'

Given the location, Maybe memorise a different spell?

Sir cryosin
2017-09-16, 09:54 AM
The specific rule I was referring to is in the sleep spell description:

'Undead and creatures immune to being charmed aren't affected by this spell.'

Given the location, Maybe memorise a different spell?

Well oops I'll keep that in mind for later. Thanks for pointing that out.

MrWesson22
2017-09-16, 09:56 AM
Definitely abjuration. You could even consider splashing a level of life cleric or war cleric and wearing plate armor. It would fit in well with your background.