PDA

View Full Version : Trickery Cleric Illusion + SCAG cantrip

Consensus
2017-09-15, 08:59 AM
I was just thinking about the Trickery Cleric's Invoke Duplicity, and I thought about somehow getting GFB or BB on one and if that would work through the illusion or not, because you can cast spells from the illusion's space. The channel divinity seems to imply the only change from casting a normal spell is that it originates from the space of the illusion, so if you have the weapon (which is the material component) on your person don't see why you couldn't cast BB or GFB, but it feels like something that might be not RAW

PeteNutButter
2017-09-15, 09:28 AM
It's definitely a DM question. On one hand RAW, there isn't much to say you couldn't. On the other hand, your illusion isn't holding a melee weapon...

I'd probably allow it, just because it is cool.

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-15, 09:30 AM
There is no way I'd personally allow it.
The entire concept of those two cantrips is that you're channeling the spell through the weapon. As mentioned above, the Illusory Double isn't holding a weapon to channel the spell through. That feature allows you to cast the spell as if you were standing in that other place. But the spell requires a melee attack to hit. The Illusory Double doesn't suddenly make your melee range any more than it normally is, which in most cases is five feet. I would only allow it if you were 'flanking' the enemy with your illusion.

Biggstick
2017-09-15, 09:38 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482494-Trickery-Cleric-Invoke-Duplicity-and-BB-GFB-interaction

The conclusion came to within this thread seems to come to the point of contention between whether the illusion can make a melee attack. If your DM is fine with the illusion making the melee attack portion of GFB and BB, then you should be fine to use it in the way you see fit.

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-15, 09:49 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482494-Trickery-Cleric-Invoke-Duplicity-and-BB-GFB-interaction

The conclusion came to within this thread seems to come to the point of contention between whether the illusion can make a melee attack. If your DM is fine with the illusion making the melee attack portion of GFB and BB, then you should be fine to use it in the way you see fit.

If it could make a physical melee attack, the text would say so. So it cannot complete the actions required of the spell.