PDA

View Full Version : List of Good Warlock Patrons (Adventure League legal)

grumbaki
2017-09-15, 11:38 AM
Because when the paladin in the party says "You sold your soul to WHAT?!" it's nice to have a good answer:

Archfey
* Lurue The Unicorn Queen (Lurue (pronounced luh-RUE [2]), also known as the Unicorn Queen or the Queen of Talking Beasts, is a chaotic good archfey who is often worshiped as a goddess of intelligent and talking beasts. Lurue teaches that life is there to be lived, and one should live it with zest and flair. Adventures and quests should be taken on a whim and life should be filled with good times and laughter. She is worshiped by many unicorns, pegasi, and other intelligent non-humanoid creatures, as well as by romantic and swashbuckling adventurers. Although preferring adventure and exploration instead of battle, if forced into a fight she is an intractable foe.)
* Sarula Iliene (When the first primitive elves left Faerie in the time before the Seldarine existed, they served the fey and worshiped their gods[1]. After the Seldarine began to lead the tel'quessir on Toril, Sarula Iliene, the patron godess of nixies, began to foster an alliance with Rillifane Rallathil. The two saw each other as father and daughter and, possibly to strengthen this paternal bond, Sarula attempted and succeeded in leaving the Seelie Court and joining the Seldarine.)

These are the only good patrons I can find. Anyone else know of any?

Unoriginal
2017-09-15, 11:55 AM
Note that you don't have to sell your soul for a Pact.

Now, my question is: do the Patron need to come from an official 5e source because the AL will forbid you from selecting them otherwise, or...?

grumbaki
2017-09-15, 12:34 PM
Granted, you could just say "My character works for an angel!" when you have the fiend patron. But that's kind of a cop out. Somewhat along the lines of saying "I'm playing a dwarf, but I want to use elf rules." Yeah, you can do that. But you can't really complain when other players say that your character is an elf. And if your patron reads "fiend" and you say it is an "angel" you can't really complain if other players (or the DM) consider your patron to be a fiend.

On the other hand, if you sit at the table and say:

"My character is a noble" (Noble background)
"His father was a human noble, his mother was an elven warlock of Lurue." (half-elf)
"He is a warlock. From his mother he learned of Lurue, and learned how to communicate, and receive power from, the Unicorn Queen." (Archfey Pact Warlock)

Do that, and your character falls well within all parameters. Say that your CG, and just want to protect nature because of your patron? Even the most uptight paladin will have to nod approvingly.

Unoriginal
2017-09-15, 12:39 PM
It's not what I'm asking, I'm asking if you need Patrons' names from official 5e sources

Joe the Rat
2017-09-15, 01:00 PM
Oh look, something the SCAG is really good for. They've got a whole list of options for each of the core 3 options... and Halaster.

If you skim through Volo's, there's a bunch of Pact Casters - you might steal some patrons from there (though if you are Pacting to Raxivort, you must be really desperate).

Since afterlives aside, FR shares its multiverse with the rest of D&D lore, you can pretty much skim through for any named fiend or not-quite-god that fits the profile. Snag some Binder vestiges for some new school old ones.

Mind you, all of this is fairly academic, because if you're running in AL, your patronage is pretty much just fluff.

Edit: Sorry, I read that as good-quality patron, not good-aligned patron. You're pretty much stuck with Archfey as "relatively not-evil." Alternatively, you can always take the "borrow or steal" angle, with less "selling your soul" and more "snagging some sweet sweet power from some other entity, let's hope he/she/it/they/frog doesn't notice."

Regulas
2017-09-15, 01:14 PM
Broadly speaking for a warlock you could use any good entity or power including anyone of the regular pantheon for whatever world. You're just not a follower but instead a contractor. Maybe you are a reformed villain given a chance to redeem himself, or maybe the god just was lacking in influence and needed an agent, or maybe you have talents or potential the god wants to use. Whatever the case you remain a non-believer (in that diety at least) you are just following whatever the terms are (which is what separates you from a cleric or paladin).

Millstone85
2017-09-15, 01:42 PM
Seelie and Unseelie Fey
Two queens hold court in the Feywild, and most fey owe allegiance to one or the other. Queen Titania and her Summer Court lead the seelie fey, and the Queen of Air and Darkness, ruler of the Gloaming Court, leads the unseelie fey.
Seelie and unseelie do not directly correlate with good and evil, though many mortals make that equation. Many seelie fey are good, and many unseelie are evil, but their opposition to each other stems from their queens' jealous rivalry, not abstract moral concerns. Ugly denizens of the Feywild, such as fomorians and hags, are almost never members of either court, and fey of independent spirit reject the courts entirely. The courts have warred at times, but they also compete in more-or-less friendly contests and even ally with one another in small and secret ways.I would assume that Titania herself is, at worst, chaotic goodish. She is mentioned as an archfey patron in both the PHB and SCAG.

MReav
2017-09-15, 03:21 PM
Star Pact Warlock:

"I made a pact with the ArchFlumph."

NecroDancer
2017-09-15, 03:56 PM
An "R" makes all the difference.

Paladin: you sold your souls to a fiend?!

Warlock: no, I sold my souls to a friend.