PDA

View Full Version : Max spell levels plus 1 to existing class

Hunterx
2017-09-15, 06:42 PM
If you have a spell caster with maxed levels but takes a level in something that increases the spell levels by 1 what happens ?

For instance I'm working on a build for a game and really looking at different things that people may or may not have thought to lump together. So the build I'm looking at to explain the the question is

Paladin 5 pours templet 7 divine oracle 3/6
Three of DO will give me max paladin spells with the PT but 6 will give me some very nice abilities. That will really work with this kind of build. But I need to know if I get more spells as the progression carries on or not.

Thanks for your help

Kobold Esq
2017-09-15, 11:35 PM
I don't know if there is a written rule anywhere, but I'd say nothing is gained. Many of the "short list" casters have significantly more powerful spell lists. They cap where they do for a reason. That being said, can you add that last level to your Paladin casting to at least get something out of it?

Khedrac
2017-09-16, 01:44 AM
1. The caster level of the character goes up.
2. IF the class's spellcasting feature grants new spells known every level, then the character gains new spells known for the new level; if it doesn't then they don't.
No ability is gained to cast any more spells per day or new levels of spells or similar.

Hunterx
2017-09-16, 02:51 AM
1. The caster level of the character goes up.
2. IF the class's spellcasting feature grants new spells known every level, then the character gains new spells known for the new level; if it doesn't then they don't.
No ability is gained to cast any more spells per day or new levels of spells or similar.

Is there a written rule for the this? Because I'm thinking of the trick from the trickster from complete scoundrels where you boost this over you max level by 2 so just wondering if any official rules.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-16, 06:12 AM
Many of the "short list" casters have significantly more powerful spell lists.
In theory, you should be right, but in practice, many unique-casting PrCs have very weak spell lists. Partially this is because they were never expanded in splatbooks, partially it's because they have very low caster levels (thus they cannot beat SR), and partially this is because the spell level of individual spells were never adjusted for coming online later. For example, Trapsmith gets haste as first-level spell, to compensate for the level 6 PrC entry, but most PrCs would give you haste only at level 6, which means overall level 11.

Is there a written rule for the this? Because I'm thinking of the trick from the trickster from complete scoundrels where you boost this over you max level by 2 so just wondering if any official rules.
Well, the rule is what is in the class feature that advances casting. If it says "you get an increase in CL, spells known, spells/day as if you gained a level in [...]", that's what you get. You then look at the class you're advancing. If that's a PrC that says "your caster level equals your class level" or something like "at each level, you may add one spell to your spells known", then you get a CL increase respectively a spell known, even if you exceed the PrC's max level. However, if the PrC says something like "at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th level, you get [...]", then you can't advance that past 10. +1 internet if you know the PrC I'm talking about.