PDA

View Full Version : Build a City thread.

Pages : 1 [2]

Jayabalard
2007-08-23, 02:12 PM
1) seconded fires but not murder. I think Grahm's first real murder should be personal.
2) seconded
Agree; a murder like that is likely to get Grahm caught; a fire could be an "unfortunate accident"

Proposal:
Bromeliad and the rangers have without the town's knowledge been protecting the town from threats out of the woods even during the times of strife between the two. Bromeliad has gained a level to Druid 4.
With an easing of tensions between the city and the grove, some of the rangers have begun to occasionally come through town to trade for some rarer things they may need, such as smithwork. This has given the townsfolk a better estimate of the rangers' numbers.
Best estimates: there are
CG Male Human Ranger 2
NG Female Half-Elven Ranger 1
2 N Human Warriors 1
second, though I suggest that if these are all "veterans" that have been protecting the town for a while, that they be bumped up a level, perhaps:
-CG Male Human Ranger 3
-NG Female Half-Elven Ranger 2
-Human Warrior 2
-Human Warrior 1).

internerdj
2007-08-23, 03:02 PM
Agree; a murder like that is likely to get Grahm caught; a fire could be an "unfortunate accident"
Compromise: Grahm is ordered to commit the murder but isn't able to do it face to face and sets fire to the man's house instead hoping to catch him in the blaze and thus fulfil his mission, but fails to catch him in the blaze. He will have to pay the consequences from Ferrox.
Suggestion: (Future time) Grahms first murder will be Ulma.

second, though I suggest that if these are all "veterans" that have been protecting the town for a while, that they be bumped up a level, perhaps:
-CG Male Human Ranger 3
-Human Warrior 2
-Human Warrior 1).
Seconded.

Beren One-Hand
2007-08-24, 12:07 AM
Compromise: Grahm is ordered to commit the murder but isn't able to do it face to face and sets fire to the man's house instead hoping to catch him in the blaze and thus fulfil his mission, but fails to catch him in the blaze. He will have to pay the consequences from Ferrox.
Suggestion: (Future time) Grahms first murder will be Ulma.

I second both of these.

and the increased levels for the druid/ranger guys mentioned above.

Inquery: Grahm is still listed as Ulma's apprentice, but I remember it being said a while ago that she stopped teaching him. I am right, or did that not get cannonized?

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 04:02 AM
If Grahm is still officially the apprentice, I support that he's definately not.

I second the fact that Grahm didn't do the murder, but think it should be more because he didn't feel like it at the time and was chaffing at Ferrox's orders than because of any "couldn't go through with it.", though the latter might play a factor.

Also seconding that family of three elves a while back, though I don't see as it effects much. It does lead to some of my proposals.

Proposals
1)With the further accepting of the Druid and rangers, more elves have began settling near the forest in the area, bringing aspects of their industry and culture with them.
2)Given that, NG Elven Wizard 5, Arianthelas Ne'querros and his sister Iriellen, LG Elven Cleric 2 arrive.
3)Seeing that much potential is wasted, Arianthelas petitions the local Arcane authorities to see about creating a local Magicians Guild for the benefit of the society and surrounding countryside.
4)Iriellen begins attempting to integrate herself with the local religious authorities and populous. Though she never contradicts Garth, she tends to take up Tobias's old stance concerning religion unknowingly.

5)Oskar's brother Henzik arrives spontaneously with several Holderheim clansmen, and their immediate families, in order to expand the industry and begin making plans for a foundry near the mine, while Oskar somewhat resents the fact that his Brother swooped in and began taking over management for him, he has no real issues with it as Henzik was more management minded to begin with, letting Oskar focus more on his craft.
5.2) Henzik: LN Expert 3/Adept 3
5.5)Over time Oskar has advanced two levels in Expert, and his wife one. Given that there is more influence in dwarvish culture around him, Frederik begins training more in traditional dwarvish arts and has gained another level of warrior, as well as begins spending more time at the smithy learning family trade.
5.55) Frederik is under consideration for additional training to become a captain of the guard.
5.6) Though the small influx of dwarves are slightly closemouthed to the other inhabitants of the town, they have heard of Ferrox, and though nothing concrete, their mistrust of him begins to send whispers through the populous, though he remains in good regard for the most part.

6) Grahms rogue should have a name... but I'll leave that to someone else, so I guess that's not a proposition. He doesn't like either Ferrox or the man's weasel (being Grahm's weasel himself.) and begins looking for ways to increase his skills in the event that Grahm will turn against them.

7) Due to the recent expansion, people are beginning to have to settle outside the wall, and plans are being conceived to hire out and build a larger one, especially considering the battle that took place a short time ago.
7.2) Also due to the recent expansion, and the fact that forces are still recovering from conflict, a den of bandits moved in nearby attracted by the easy pickings of a newly prospering settlement.

8) Brok's mother and younger brother arrive searching for him to bring him home, but in such a time of suspicion have little luck finding out what happened to him. They take up residence along the road entering town until they manage to talk to somebody.

Hmm... lot of stuff. Ah well, hope I managed to keep on top of things well enough. Not sure the timeframe that stuff should happen in that I just proposed, maybe some of it for next year if all doesn't work for this one.

sefiru
2007-08-24, 07:51 AM
1)With the further accepting of the Druid and rangers, more elves have began settling near the forest in the area, bringing aspects of their industry and culture with them.
2)Given that, NG Elven Wizard 5, Arianthelas Ne'querros and his sister Iriellen, LG Elven Cleric 2 arrive.
3)Seeing that much potential is wasted, Arianthelas petitions the local Arcane authorities to see about creating a local Magicians Guild for the benefit of the society and surrounding countryside.
4)Iriellen begins attempting to integrate herself with the local religious authorities and populous. Though she never contradicts Garth, she tends to take up Tobias's old stance concerning religion unknowingly.

Seconded, especially #4, I was about to propose that Garth needs another cleric or two around to balance him. I suppose there's enough spellcasters around to form a small guild.

5)Oskar's brother Henzik arrives spontaneously with several Holderheim clansmen, and their immediate families, in order to expand the industry and begin making plans for a foundry near the mine, while Oskar somewhat resents the fact that his Brother swooped in and began taking over management for him, he has no real issues with it as Henzik was more management minded to begin with, letting Oskar focus more on his craft.
5.5)Over time Oskar has advanced two levels in Expert, and his wife one. Given that there is more influence in dwarvish culture around him, Frederik begins training more in traditional dwarvish arts and has gained another level of warrior, as well as begins spending more time at the smithy learning family trade.
5.55) Frederik is under consideration for additional training to become a captain of the guard.
5.6) Though the small influx of dwarves are slightly closemouthed to the other inhabitants of the town, they have heard of Ferrox, and though nothing concrete, their mistrust of him begins to send whispers through the populous, though he remains in good regard for the most part.

Second, because it adds some race balance to the place.

6) Grahms rogue should have a name... but I'll leave that to someone else, so I guess that's not a proposition. He doesn't like either Ferrox or the man's weasel (being Grahm's weasel himself.) and begins looking for ways to increase his skills in the event that Grahm will turn against them.

How about Marren Glimfeather?

7) Due to the recent expansion, people are beginning to have to settle outside the wall, and plans are being conceived to hire out and build a larger one, especially considering the battle that took place a short time ago.
7.2) Also due to the recent expansion, and the fact that forces are still recovering from conflict, a den of bandits moved in nearby attracted by the easy pickings of a newly prospering settlement.

Makes sense. Seconded.

8) Brok's mother and younger brother arrive searching for him to bring him home, but in such a time of suspicion have little luck finding out what happened to him. They take up residence along the road entering town until they manage to talk to somebody.

I kinda like this ... Second, and let's say that due to the late incidents, the brother ogre can't get into the guard so he has to find other work ... pumping bellows for the Holderheims.

Proposal: (I *dare* someone to second this) Brok's mother is an herbalist and midwife. Yes, an ogre midwife. :smallbiggrin:

I have some other proposals stewing but I'll sleep on it and post tomorrow.

woc33
2007-08-24, 08:26 AM
I second the idea about Brok but with a slight change, it's
His wife is human and his son is an half ogre. For some reason it seems reasonable for me that if he could manage to live with humans there must be a reason, and a human wife is it.

oops... I read it all wrong, it's his mother and brother, scrap that. :smallwink:

Istari
2007-08-24, 09:32 AM
If Grahm is still officially the apprentice, I support that he's definately not.

I second the fact that Grahm didn't do the murder, but think it should be more because he didn't feel like it at the time and was chaffing at Ferrox's orders than because of any "couldn't go through with it.", though the latter might play a factor.

Also seconding that family of three elves a while back, though I don't see as it effects much. It does lead to some of my proposals.

Proposals

Thirded I like the idea of more races moving to town.

Proposal:Ulma estblishes a small wizards guild and builds a wizard tower.

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 01:23 PM
Just a thought: I suggest limiting the number of proposals each year. This is a lot of things happening in a couple month period (half a year or less); while this is ok from time to time, it starts becoming kind of far-fetched if it happens all of the time. Especially when writing in non-human races, keep in mind that their long lifespans make them much less likely to be in a hurry to do things (their goals are much more long term)

Stop:

Proposal:Umla estblishes a small wizards guild and builds a wizard tower.Umla isn't a wizard; there's only one other sorcerer (who is no longer her apprentice) and this new wizard. That's not enough to need a guild; nor is there much advantage to Umla, since she far outstrips the next highest caster.

Lastly a tower does not seem to match the character of Umla, though that may just be my mental image of a sorceress.

3)Seeing that much potential is wasted, Arianthelas petitions the local Arcane authorities to see about creating a local Magicians Guild for the benefit of the society and surrounding countryside.This is still too small of a community to have a "magicians guild" nor are there enough casters to support it. This new wizard is the only wizard in the town.

There is only one local arcane authority, and that's Umla.

Frederik begins training more in traditional dwarvish arts and has gained another level of warrior, as well as begins spending more time at the smithy learning family trade.

5.55) Frederik is under consideration for additional training to become a captain of the guard.The first part of this is contradictory. If he's focusing on the dwarven arts (smithing?) wouldn't he have gained a level of expert rather than warrior?

Even he gains a level of warrior he's only equivalent to the veterans of the guard; The sergeants are higher level, and the lieutenants higher level still. He wouldn't be in consideration for a "captain of the guard" (which would mean replacing Gregory, a 12th level fighter)

Due to the recent expansion, people are beginning to have to settle outside the wall, and plans are being conceived to hire out and build a larger one, especially considering the battle that took place a short time ago.People would have been living out side the wall for quite a while; a good portion of the townspeople are farmers, and they wouldn't have been living inside the wall.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 01:23 PM
How about Marren Glimfeather?

Seconded.

I kinda like this ... Second, and let's say that due to the late incidents, the brother ogre can't get into the guard so he has to find other work ... pumping bellows for the Holderheims.

Proposal: (I *dare* someone to second this) Brok's mother is an herbalist and midwife. Yes, an ogre midwife. :smallbiggrin:

I have some other proposals stewing but I'll sleep on it and post tomorrow.
Seconded, eventually. At the moment the townspeople haven't even discerned if they're friendly or not... or stuff like that. It may take some time to integrate themselves in society.

I second the idea about Brok but with a slight change, it's
His wife is human and his son is an half ogre. For some reason it seems reasonable for me that if he could manage to live with humans there must be a reason, and a human wife is it.

oops... I read it all wrong, it's his mother and brother, scrap that. :smallwink:

I would have been fine with something like that, but considering town size, I imagine it would have been scandalous and a major point. If he lived I was going to bring the issue up, but alas, he is already dead.

Thirded I like the idea of more races moving to town.

Proposal:Ulma estblishes a small wizards guild and builds a wizard tower.

Stop: Ulma's a sorcerer, not a wizard. And didn't she already have a tower of her own at some point in the past? Doesn't seem to be on the list... maybe not... coulda sworn though...
Compromise: She is supportive of... whatever his name was, Elf Wizard dude's proposal and works with him to developed a small Collegiate building to hold official guild business. As it's still small, not much resources need to be poured into it. Maybe?

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 01:31 PM
Stop: Ulma's a sorcerer, not a wizard. And didn't she already have a tower of her own at some point in the past? Doesn't seem to be on the list... maybe not... coulda sworn though...I don't think it's been mentioned.

Umla was here with the first wave, so if she was going to build a tower, should would have built it 12 years ago

BTW, I just realized I'd been spelling it wrong... her name is Aust Umla.

EDIT: (Sorry I missed this before)

STOP: Henzik is too high of level; he's coming in as higher level than the opposition leader; unless you reall mean for him to be a major player I think he should drop levels. same goes for his brother's levels.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 01:40 PM
Just a thought: I suggest limiting the number of proposals each year. This is a lot of things happening in a couple month period (half a year or less); while this is ok from time to time, it starts becoming kind of far-fetched if it happens all of the time. Especially when writing in non-human races, keep in mind that their long lifespans make them much less likely to be in a hurry to do things (their goals are much more long term)
Stop: The settlement is growing. As it grows, people act independantly of one another while others are doing things. While too much would be ridiculous, it's not hard to phase things out.

You make a very good point. But then, that's also the point of proposals, to say "lets do that for the next year" and stuff also.

Stop:
Ulma isn't a wizard; there's only one other sorcerer (who is no longer her apprentice) and this new wizard. That's not enough to need a guild; nor is there much advantage to Ulma, since she far outstrips the next highest caster.

Lastly a tower does not seem to match the character of Ulma.

This is still far too small of a community to have a "magicians guild" nor are there enough casters to support it. This new wizard is the only wizard in the town.

There is only one local arcane authority, and that's Ulma.
Just because they haven't been mentioned before doesn't make them non existant, just like in such a small town there's no reason arcane authority needs to be all that high level, or authoritative. Also "magicians guild" would include Sorcerers as well as Wizards. Arcane magic in general (so probably bards as well.) Thus there is plenty of people, for a small guild. (if that crafter had a level of wizard, there's no reason other people haven't left there studies elsewhere. The Establishment of an institute might push some of them to taking up their studies again, as they can do it casually while still supporting their livelihood.

EDIT: Also, there's Umla's penpal... and Valentine... hmm... maybe more

The first part of this is contradictory. If he's focusing on the dwarven arts (smithing?) wouldn't he have gained a level of expert?

Even he gains a level of warrior he's only equivalent to the veterans of the guard; The sergeants are higher level, and the lieutenants higher level still. He wouldn't be in consideration for a "captain of the guard" (which would mean replacing Gregory, a 12th level fighter)
Dwarves tend to be known as fighters as well as smiths, and that is what I was talking about. Dwarven fighting, as opposed to human fighting. Perhaps give him a level of Fighter instead actually, as now he would be training martially with both the guard and his kinfolk.

Also, my intent when I said "captain" was for a lower position, thus the "a". I was considering Gregory more The Commander of the Guard. Especially as the ranking system for the local guard has never been defined. Considered for training for a Sergeant's position would be fine with me, if that's what you want to call it.

People would have been living out side the wall for quite a while; a good portion of the townspeople are farmers, and they wouldn't have been living inside the wall.

Think about it logically man. Of COURSE there are farmer's outside the wall, but there are also NON-Farmers who want jobs closer to/in the city. There isn't room for new businesses and homes in town, so they have been building just outside the wall.

I never said noone was living outside the wall before, I was just saying that the number is getting to the point where they are starting to CONSIDER building another one.

I don't think it's been mentioned.

Umla was here with the first wave, so if she was going to build a tower, should would have built it 12 years ago

Hmm... yeah I know, I could have sworn UMLA (Ack, I think we were all doing it.) had had a tower back then though...

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 01:50 PM
Stop: The settlement is growing. As it grows, people act independantly of one another while others are doing things. While too much would be ridiculous, it's not hard to phase things out.

You make a very good point. But then, that's also the point of proposals, to say "lets do that for the next year" and stuff also.Sokay by me, I just wanted to head off people blanket seconding multiple pages of proposals.

Just because they haven't been mentioned before doesn't make them non existant, just like in such a small town there's no reason arcane authority needs to be all that high level, or authoritative. Also "magicians guild" would include Sorcerers as well as Wizards. Arcane magic in general (so probably bards as well.) Thus there is plenty of people, for a small guild. (if that crafter had a level of wizard, there's no reason other people haven't left there studies elsewhere. The Establishment of an institute might push some of them to taking up their studies again, as they can do it casually while still supporting their livelihood.So far this has been somewhat magic light... A single sorceror child (Grahm) growing up has been significant enough for him to have his own proposals

Dwarves tend to be known as fighters as well as smiths, and that is what I was talking about. Dwarven fighting, as opposed to human fighting. Perhaps give him a level of Fighter instead actually, as now he would be training martially with both the guard and his kinfolk.that works.

Especially as the ranking system for the local guard has never been defined. Considered for training for a Sergeant's position would be fine with me, if that's what you want to call it.We threw together some vague rankings over the last page or so.

this is just placeholder text to try and get everyone added (and kind of advance to the next year; holding off on posting that officially until someone address that last stop about Henzik's level being too high; same goes with Oksar gaining two levels (which seems kind of unnecessary, especially two at a time, unless you're trying to retcon him like we did with Tyras)

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 01:51 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned.

EDIT: (Sorry I missed this before)

STOP: Henzik is too high of level; he's coming in as higher level than the opposition leader; unless you reall mean for him to be a major player I think he should drop levels

Eh, I meant for him to be somewhat of a leader in the incoming dwarf community, as he's largely the motivator to the expansion and management of Oskar's company, that I mentioned. And technically he's only the same level as Ferrox, just with one more of Adept and one less of expert.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 01:59 PM
EDIT: Oop, sorry for the double post.

Sokay by me, I just wanted to head off people blanket seconding multiple pages of proposals.

So far this has been somewhat magic light... A single sorceror child (Grahm) growing up has been significant enough for him to have his own proposals

Grahm's also being pruned as a BBEG, and has been from the beginning. I was thinking more of J'rek's type anyways... who are very low level and very inexperienced. It would be a very small guild, nothing like would be seen in a larger city, more a collection of individuals who can manipulate arcane power. (so maybe more of a club, but that has a different feel. Also probably similar to a Neighborhood Watch and Homeowner's association, but for arcane types)

We threw together some vague rankings over the last page or so.

Ah, sorry about that, don't recall reading them... but then, it was probably 2-3am by the time I've gotten to the end of the thread... I blame lack of sleep.

Knight In Armor
2007-08-24, 02:11 PM
Proposal:
Sir Edward Barrington, a wandering hedge knight, the seventh son of a minor noble decides to settle down in the growing community and applies for a position in the Town Guard.

Sir Edward Barrington, NG human Fighter 4

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 02:33 PM
Some of these were still being debated a bit, but here's the rundown of where we are.

Year 13, late Winter

As the winter approaches, several families of Holderheim clan dwaves move to the area, lead by Oskar's brother Henzik. A new association of arcane magic users forms, lead by Umla

Total population: 700
Families: 190

Town Leadership & Dependents
Tobais Frostleaf: pal 10 (Local Lord)
Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer/Town Counsilman)
Joe Billings: Human Expert 8 (Innkeeper/Town Councilman)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 4 (Inkeeper's Wife)
Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16 and under an apprenticeship of Jakob Allmrind)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16)
Jakob Heckelson: Pal 1
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (21 years old)

Town Guard
Gregory Eckson: Human Fighter 12 (Sheriff/Town Councilman)
Thomas Jorgenson TN Human Male Warrior 4 / Fighter 2 (lieutenant)
Tyras Tiefling: Marshall 4 (lieutenant)
5 Level 3 Warriors (sergeants)
9 Level 2 Warriors (vets)
50 Level 1 Warriors

Opposition
Finneas Jast: LE Human Rogue 2
Kerreth Ferrox: LE Dwarven Expert 4/Adept 2
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 19) Human Sorc 5
Brim Greenstone: (age 17) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox)
Marren Glimfeather Rogue 2 (Member of Grahm's Gang )
Several Human Thugs in Grahm's gang

Forest Dwellers
Bromeliad Te'Lienan: N Female Elven Druid 4
CG Male Human Ranger 3
-Human Warrior 2
-Human Warrior 1
Possibly some other Rangers, but if so, they haven't been seen by the towns people

Gypsy Caravan
Jormish Glimrock: Illusionist 2 (Caravan Leader)
Gina Yrtlbow: Female Halfling Expert 1

Townspeople
J'red Darrh: Half-elf Expert 3 / wiz 1 (General Craftsman)
Jenna Hornthrush- Human Expert 4 (Teacher)
Oskar Holderhiem: Dwarf Expert 5 (Blacksmith)
Glidda Holderhiem: 1 commoner/ Expert 2(Oskar's wife)
Frederik Holderhiem: 1 Commoner / Warrior 2(Oskar's Son)
Henzik Holderhiem: LN Expert 3/Adept 2 (Oskar's Brother)
Several other families of Holderheim clan dwarves
Garth Rek: Human Expert 4 (Preacher of Torm)
Caranthir Telperiën: male elf bard 3
Drec Bloodroar: half orc bard 3
Jakob Allmrind: Human Bard 7 (Secondary teacher, Mine owner and Betty Billings Teacher)
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 10) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)
Kane Hillman: Human LG Expert 1 (harness maker, curmudgeon)
Arianthelas Ne'querros: male, NG elf Wizard 5
Iriellen Ne'querros: female elf Cleric 2 (Arianthelas sister)

Outside of Town
Brok's mother and younger brother, camped near the road
a den of bandits, attracted by the easy pickings of a newly prospering settlement, indeterminate location.

Deceased
Brok: Ogre Commoner 2
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Hall of Torm / Market Place
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse (now has 2 rooms)
Smithy
112 Homes
5 Unoccupied homes (due to families leaving)
Graveyard
Druid Grove in Wood of Sharp Teeth
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
New homes outside the City Wall
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse (damaged in fire)
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Ferrox Manor (contains 1 Dire Rat)
Haunted House

Notes to self to propose later (or if anyone else wants to propose this): I liked the club or association idea rather than a guild; that has a feel that matches the town better and I think that a more specific group rather than a bland "magicians guild" would make the town more alive. They'd probably be made up of wizards, sorcerers, and maybe the bards (though Grahm may find it a waste of time and not be involved). They'll need a purpose/primary goal (something closer to home than learn magic, or protect people), and a name that matches that.

puppyavenger
2007-08-24, 02:45 PM
Proposal:
Sir Edward Barrington, a wandering hedge knight, the seventh son of a minor noble decides to settle down in the growing community and applies for a position in the Town Guard.

seconded, the town gaurd needs more named people.

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 02:55 PM
Proposal:

thirded

Proposals:
With all of the new homes being built outside the wall, the Town council discusses plans to add a secondary city wall, with construction to begin during the later summer. While this produces some grumbling from the the few farmers who's lands are being affected, there isn't much opposition

Sir Edward Barrington is accepted into the guard, serving under Thomas Jorgenson while they get a feel for his abilities; Frederik along with a few of the younger Holderheim dwarves (who are warrior 1, or expert 1/warrior 1), join the guard and wind up serving under him.

Grug
2007-08-24, 02:56 PM
One of the twins goes missing, and was last seen sneaking out of her room, likely to go see one of her beaus.

A trio of animated skeletons of unknown origin run through town. They are swiftly dispatched by the militia, none of whom are killed. One of them carried a package. The local church had it burned in holy fire before it could be opened, fearing and evil magic item.

However, during the confusion a letter is dropped by one of the skeletons, and Brim finds it and picks it up. it is an invitation for Graham to meet with a wizard of some power who lives beyond the Sharp Tooth woods. Brim keeps it secret and makes plans to visit there in Graham's stead.

Proposal: Horror! Several buildings have spontaneously collapsed. Investigatiion shows the cause being the mine has dried up suddenly and mysteriously, leaving empty earth beneath them.

The halflings take advantage of the situation and greatly increase prices for goods. If there is still tension between the two, open fighting breaks out.

The reason for the sudden tragedy is Graham's rogue flunky, Leolid. Leolid had been secretly working with another rogue in town, Argris Tanner (rogue 9). When word of the mine had begun, the two of them began working with bandits to steal some very precious cargo: an Ore Vine, a magical plant that draws rare metals from the ground. For the past few years it has been sucking the gold from the mine, and just finished. Argirs and Leolid plan to skip town with the plant and various saplings, while framing Graham for taking all the gold.

Runolfr
2007-08-24, 03:04 PM
A new association of arcane magic users forms, lead by Umla.

Suggestion: Umla is specifically organizing the local arcane casters in an effort to place restrictions on Grahm's behavior. The organization will give her a pool of "eyes" to monitor his activities as well as "peers" with whom he might associate and learn responsibility.

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 03:08 PM
Suggestion: Umla is specifically organizing the local arcane casters in an effort to place restrictions on Grahm's behavior. The organization will give her a pool of "eyes" to monitor his activities as well as "peers" with whom he might associate and learn responsibility. I like; that gives some possibilities of titles in the group.

It also gives Grahm a good reason to flip out later (I'd say in a couple of years) when he finds out about them, and some people to plot revenge against.

One of the twins goes missing, and was last seen sneaking out of her room, likely to go see one of her beaus.

A trio of animated skeletons of unknown origin run through town. They are swiftly dispatched by the militia, none of whom are killed. One of them carried a package. The local church had it burned in holy fire before it could be opened, fearing and evil magic item.

However, during the confusion a letter is dropped by one of the skeletons, and Brim finds it and picks it up. it is an invitation for Graham to meet with a wizard of some power who lives beyond the Sharp Tooth woods. Brim keeps it secret and makes plans to visit there in Graham's stead.
Seconded

Proposal: Horror! Several buildings have spontaneously collapsed. Investigatiion shows the cause being the mine has dried up suddenly and mysteriously, leaving empty earth beneath them.
The halflings take advantage of the situation and greatly increase prices for goods. If there is still tension between the two, open fighting breaks out.

The reason for the sudden tragedy is Graham's rogue flunky, Leolid. Leolid had been secretly working with another rogue in town, Argris Tanner (rogue 9). When word of the mine had begun, the two of them began working with bandits to steal some very precious cargo: an Ore Vine, a magical plant that draws rare metals from the ground. For the past few years it has been sucking the gold from the mine, and just finished. Argirs and Leolid plan to skip town with the plant and various saplings, while framing Graham for taking all the gold.
Stop: sorry, this just doesn't make any sense. People don't build houses on top of mines, and even if they did, the house wouldn't collapse, the ground under the house would.

Grahm's rogue flunky is already named (see above)

Most characters above 5th level that are in the town should have been revealed by now; you're introducing a significantly powerful character who has lurked around unnoticed for who knows how many years.

This gold sucking vine doesn't make any sense; if this is the type of mine that actually goes underground, it's not in soil, it's in rock, and a plant can only penetrate that so far.

it doesn't advance the city in any way (it sets it back), and since this rogue skips town, Grahm is down a flunky, and really, framing him for it doesn't help him become a BBEG unless he skips town and becomes one elsewhere.

Lasty removing the gold would cause a significant damage to the town's economy and cause a good portion (30% or more) of the town to go elsewhere.

internerdj
2007-08-24, 03:18 PM
Suggestion: Umla is specifically organizing the local arcane casters in an effort to place restrictions on Grahm's behavior. The organization will give her a pool of "eyes" to monitor his activities as well as "peers" with whom he might associate and learn responsibility.

Thats what I was hoping for as the purpose. Seconded and ninja'd.

I like; that gives some possibilities of titles in the group.

It also gives Grahm a good reason to flip out later (I'd say in a couple of years) when he finds out about them, and some people to plot revenge against.
It also gives him a good reason to kill umla.

Stop: sorry, this just doesn't make any sense. People don't build houses on top of mines, and even if they did, the house wouldn't collapse, the ground under the house would.

Most characters above 5th level that are in the town should have been revealed by now; you're introducing a significantly powerful character who has lurked around unnoticed for who knows how many years.

This gold sucking vine doesn't make any sense; if this is the type of mine that actually goes underground, it's not in soil, it's in rock, and a plant can only penetrate that so far.

it doesn't advance the city in any way (it sets it back), and since this rogue skips town, Grahm is down a flunky, and really, framing him for it doesn't help him become a BBEG unless he skips town and becomes one elsewhere.

Lasty removing the gold would cause a significant damage to the town's economy and cause a good portion (30% or more) of the town to go elsewhere.

Seconded stop

Runolfr
2007-08-24, 03:21 PM

I agree with this entire line of reasoning.

However, it might be plausible for a portion of the mine to collapse due to negligence, damaging or destroying ONE of the town's buildings and possibly injuring someone. This would create trouble for Jakob, who would naturally get the blame. Tobias would insist that he pay for the damages, and Ferrox's people might take Jakob's side to work their own side of the town's power struggle.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 03:54 PM

Thirded Stop. Also, why would the halflings have so much economic power?

Seconded Umla's group. Proposal: That is the motivation for her accept the new Arianthelas's proposal in starting an Arcane Magic users support-group. It becomes easier to keep tabs on arcane troublemakers like Grahm and Brim.

Also: Stop on the twin going missing. They're ten, why would she have a beau?

Knight In Armor
2007-08-24, 04:08 PM

Seconded Stop

AKA_Bait
2007-08-24, 04:12 PM

Thirded Stop

Grug
2007-08-24, 04:56 PM
I forgot to write it, but I thought the twin would have seen the plant, and the rogue killed her to keep her quiet.

And the plant really does exist. It's from a recent issue of Dragon magazine, which is 100% official.

As for Agris, he's a level 9 rogue. Staying hidden is his specialty.
ofcourswe, if he flees with the vine, some fabulous wealth awaits whoever can track him down.

Jayabalard
2007-08-24, 05:12 PM
I forgot to write it, but I thought the twin would have seen the plant, and the rogue killed her to keep her quiet.

And the plant really does exist. It's from a recent issue of Dragon magazine, which is 100% official.

As for Agris, he's a level 9 rogue. Staying hidden is his specialty.
ofcourswe, if he flees with the vine, some fabulous wealth awaits whoever can track him down.no offense, but both of those have been vetoed (that's what stop means). So the twin hasn't gone missing, nor has the plant thing happened.

If you want to propose Agris as a level 9 rogue go for it; keep in mind that it's hard to stay hidden in a small rural community, and that if he's been here for very long he must have a cover of some sort. And don't be surprised if people veto based on his level, or suggest that it be lowered, since you'd be introducing a new main character (the 4th highest level individual in the area, which includes the lord for which the town is named).

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 05:13 PM
Stop still stands to the entire scenerio... whether or not the plant is official or not, I still think it's still stupid. So many factors are just out of nowhere, and don't seem to fit a lot of prior data.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Jay probably put it nicer than me.

Grug
2007-08-24, 07:40 PM
Wasn't arguing my point. Just explaining myself.

Is anyone going to continue? I've lost my place. There needs to be a bit more magic in the area. How about:

[Jewel Merchant] purchases a rust monster in secret and lets it loose near the mines, hoping to cause damages and but himself ahead of the rival perveyor of shiny things.

Also, Peif Schenri, a rich gnome entrepeneur (aristocrat 5) moves into the area. He attempts to buy out the gold mines but Jeff Allmrind refuses. Not one to be denied, he begins scheming of a way to get the mine by trickery or violence. he also is lobbying to claim the farmland for himself, pointing out that none of them actually have deeds. construction starts on a manor house, to be completed in 1 year. until then he rents the biggest house he can.
ADVENTURE HOOK: Peif loves act like a hunter, hiring bands of adventurers to bring back quarry alive so he can "hunt" it himself, or take credit for large specimens. However, his life as a braggart is earning him the dislike of much of the town.

Knight In Armor
2007-08-24, 07:48 PM

Is anyone going to continue? I've lost my place. There needs to be a bit more magic in the area. How about:

[Jewel Merchant] purchases a rust monster in secret and lets it loose near the mines, hoping to cause damages and but himself ahead of the rival perveyor of shiny things.

I'm gonna say Stop here...I feel that there's already a pretty big magic presence here. We have several spellcasters already.

Also, Peif Schenri, a rich gnome entrepeneur (aristocrat 5) moves into the area. He attempts to buy out the gold mines but Jeff Allmrind refuses. Not one to be denied, he begins scheming of a way to get the mine by trickery or violence. he also is lobbying to claim the farmland for himself, pointing out that none of them actually have deeds. construction starts on a manor house, to be completed in 1 year. until then he rents the biggest house he can.
ADVENTURE HOOK: Peif loves act like a hunter, hiring bands of adventurers to bring back quarry alive so he can "hunt" it himself, or take credit for large specimens. However, his life as a braggart is earning him the dislike of much of the town.

Stop here too. We already have a big business man trying to buy out/take control of the town and it's economy. But I really like the adventure hook and the idea of a rich guy hiring adventurers to catch big game for him to 'hunt.'

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-24, 10:42 PM

STOP
who the hell is Jeff Allmrind? No character exists. Jeff is a crap name fantasy or not.

Jakob Allmrind would sell the mine, but only for the right price and to the right people. If he suspected anything he would tell Tobias himself, so no Rust Monster. also I don't think gold can rust....after all its under the ground for centuries when WWII Landmines are rusting away after only 60 or so years.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-24, 11:53 PM
Compromise on the Rust monster? It's being sent by the dark wizard across the woods, rather than anyone in town, and just HAPPENs to find the mines.

There exist other metals to rust in Gold mines that could do much damage, in tools and building materials, etc...

Perhaps, though, the rust monster is caught by the fledgling Arcane Association before it gets to town, and an investigation begins as to where it comes from.

Or something...?

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-25, 03:54 AM
Proposal: That is the motivation for her accept the new Arianthelas's proposal in starting an Arcane Magic users support-group. It becomes easier to keep tabs on arcane troublemakers like Grahm and Brim.
Seconded

Stop to both though I like the hook.

Proposal: Jeff Allmrind (bard 1) is Jakob's brother. He comes to town and joins the arcane group after his harp hand is cut off.

Thrawntrooper
2007-08-25, 05:16 AM
Proposal: Jeff Allmrind (bard 1) is Jakob's brother. He comes to town and joins the arcane group after his harp hand is cut off.

Seconded

might be nice for him to later multicalss into either wizard or sorc.

Proposal:
People seem to want to do something with the gold mine, how about we have a minor earthquake, does very minor damge to the town, but opens up a small passage at the very lower levels into a small section of the underdark. I suggest infested with kobolds, the have their caverns infested with traps, however are unwilling to enter into the town. They might make the occasional trip up to create a little bit of havoc.

They would keep out of site from the dwarfs, but may start sabotaging the mines, causing cave ins etc.

Nice hook to get some adventures in to explore the kobold caverns, make the mines safe for the miners. Then potential for expansion to deeper caverns.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-25, 05:58 AM
Proposal:
People seem to want to do something with the gold mine, how about we have a minor earthquake, does very minor damge to the town, but opens up a small passage at the very lower levels into a small section of the underdark. I suggest infested with kobolds, the have their caverns infested with traps, however are unwilling to enter into the town. They might make the occasional trip up to create a little bit of havoc.

They would keep out of site from the dwarfs, but may start sabotaging the mines, causing cave ins etc.

Nice hook to get some adventures in to explore the kobold caverns, make the mines safe for the miners. Then potential for expansion to deeper caverns.

seconded

Year 13 or 14 summer.

At the beginning a handless man rather manic came to see Jakob, after meeting with him. The man was in a bad mood and camped near the forest. It wasn't long after that the first disaster struck, a group of skeletons entered the town injuring many of the miltia. The broken bones and the package they held were turned into ash. Brim, finding a letter on the floor, read it before deciding to pretend to be Grahm, and leaving for a hill. The day after the handless man returned to Jakob, and once more left.
The rumours went around that the handless man created the skeletons. To keep an eye on him, Ulma invited him to the arcane group and he accepted, this lead for Ulma to discover he was bard, while others still had their suspicions.
Jeff visited Jakob again and once again left angry. Later in the day a localised earthquake caved in part of the mine and created an entrance to the underdark, so far only the kobolds knew of it and they mostly kept themselves to themselves.

Total population: 720
Families: 190

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16 and under an apprenticeship of Jakob Allmrind)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16)
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (21 years old)

Town Guard
50 Level 1 Warriors

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 19) Human Sorc 5
Brim Greenstone: (age 17) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
-Human Warrior 2
-Human Warrior 1
Possibly some other Rangers, but if so, they haven't been seen by the towns people

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
Frederik Holderhiem: 1 Commoner / Warrior 2(Oskar's Son)
Jakob Allmrind: Human Bard 7 (Secondary teacher, Mine owner and Betty Billings Teacher)
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 10) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)
Jeff Allmrind: Human bard 1

Outside of Town
a den of bandits, attracted by the easy pickings of a newly prospering settlement, indeterminate location.

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House

Proposal: Brim raises a level.
Jakob: Sends for a high level cleric.
One of the Kobolds has is level five expert, trap seller.

Grug
2007-08-25, 11:13 AM
Gold can't rust on it's own, but a rust monster can rust Any metal, even precious or non-ferrous ones. It just prefers iron to gold, but with the abundance of gold it seems like the most likely target.

I'll just do minor stuff, since everything else I suggest gets vetoed:

A local fisherman pulls up a dead Bromeliad with his daily catch. Local healers determine that he has several strange bite marks on him, but the actual cause of death was drowning.

What really happened: There is a Wild Vampire (like a normal vampire but more bestial and lives in caves) on the loose in the forest. It had bitten Bromeliad several times and then fled. His ranger servants drowned him in the river to prevent him rising as another vampire. there may or may not be an additional ulterior motive.

[Remember, the rules say that once an NPC is made, anyone may have them do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't change the town significantly]

High-Chancellor
2007-08-25, 12:51 PM
Stop on quite a few different things.

Stop: Why are you killing the druid? Do you just want to kill things? The druid has a fairly significant role at the moment.

Stop/counterproposal: Why would Umla invite a very sketchy man that nobody knows into the arcane group? Especially since he seems worse than grahm, that would seem counter-intuitive to the point of the association. If nothing else, he would be a BAD role model for the younger arcane-peeps. If he's meant to be the dark wizard, wasn't he supposed to live on the other side of the forest just anyways? A better way to discover him would be for the AA to keep tabs on Brim when he goes to visit.

Stop: Why is Jakob so important as to request a high level cleric for some random reason? Very small town. If it's to see to Eckson, it would be more likely to just send him to Baldur's Gate instead. Also, in the future people need to differentiate between the two jakobs.

Also: Maybe the cave-in should be left till year 15, if you really want it. Maybe a Stop too, but that's just because I dislike kobolds. Kobolds are fine outside of town, but this place is very small still... it doesn't need so much drama. There's only 700 people~ That's less than my high-school.

Proposal for end of year 15: The dwarves start production on their smithy/foundry to be placed near the mine.

Knight In Armor
2007-08-25, 05:42 PM
Sir Edward Barrington needs to be added to the list, Demonking.

Jayabalard
2007-08-25, 11:59 PM
Stop on quite a few different things.

Stop: Why are you killing the druid? Do you just want to kill things? The druid has a fairly significant role at the moment.

Stop/counterproposal: Why would Umla invite a very sketchy man that nobody knows into the arcane group? Especially since he seems worse than grahm, that would seem counter-intuitive to the point of the association. If nothing else, he would be a BAD role model for the younger arcane-peeps. If he's meant to be the dark wizard, wasn't he supposed to live on the other side of the forest just anyways? A better way to discover him would be for the AA to keep tabs on Brim when he goes to visit.

Stop: Why is Jakob so important as to request a high level cleric for some random reason? Very small town. If it's to see to Eckson, it would be more likely to just send him to Baldur's Gate instead. Also, in the future people need to differentiate between the two jakobs.Agreed on all three stops. Killing off the leader of one of the town factions doesn't qualify as "minor stuff". Additionally: Bromeliad is a she, not a he.

To Grug: I suggest that you either figure out a some sort of moderate proposals or try switching to very broad suggestions (and let others make specific proposals based on those); killing off named and developed characters should only happen if it advances some sort of story element for the city. The purpose of this thread is to develop a city with a logical and reasonable evolution; for the most part, your proposals thus far have all been detrimental to that: killing off characters and storylines for no reason, and introducing nonsensical conflict with no history that doesn't make any sense. We're trying to develop realistic people, not absurd twits who cause trouble with no history and for no reason (ie, the jewelcrafter and his rust monster, the framing of Grahm, and the aristocrat that you proposed).

Proposal for end of year 15: The dwarves start production on their smithy/foundry to be placed near the mine.Seconded

PsyBlade
2007-08-26, 12:08 AM
Thirded the Dwarf Project.

Jayabalard
2007-08-26, 12:09 AM
Proposals still hanging from before all of the stops: (since noone has commented)
With all of the new homes being built outside the wall, the Town council discusses plans to add a secondary city wall, with construction to begin during the later summer. While this produces some grumbling from the the few farmers who's lands are being affected, there isn't much opposition

Sir Edward Barrington is accepted into the guard, serving under Thomas Jorgenson while they get a feel for his abilities; Frederik along with a few of the younger Holderheim dwarves (6 of them, who are split between warrior 1 and expert 1/warrior 1), join the guard and wind up serving under him.

Proposal: Brim raises a level.I'll second, and suggest that this happens after he leaves. I'll remind folks again: leveling for these characters should not happened all that often; try to keep in mind the relative power levels of the existing characters as you do that.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-26, 12:34 AM
Proposals still hanging from before all of the stops: (since noone has commented)

Sir Edward Barrington is accepted into the guard, serving under Thomas Jorgenson while they get a feel for his abilities; Frederik along with a few of the younger Holderheim dwarves (6 of them, who are split between warrior 1 and expert 1/warrior 1), join the guard and wind up serving under him.

I'll second, and suggest that this happens after he leaves. I'll remind folks again: leveling for these characters should not happened all that often; try to keep in mind the relative power levels of the existing characters as you do that.

I thought those were already all seconded, but I'll third them all (or second, if it is the case.) The Brim gaining level one also on the condition that it's after he leaves.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-26, 02:15 AM
Proposal: That is the motivation for her accept the new Arianthelas's proposal in starting an Arcane Magic users support-group. It becomes easier to keep tabs on arcane troublemakers like Grahm and Brim.
Seconded

Stop to both though I like the hook.

in one of the way earlier posts I stated that Jakob Allmrind's Family (ALL) had been killed by a mage, since its part of the character: No Jeff.

woc33
2007-08-26, 03:30 AM
in one of the way earlier posts I stated that Jakob Allmrind's Family (ALL) had been killed by a mage, since its part of the character: No Jeff.

Please please PLEASE stop that obsession of yours with that bard, as stated by the OP, he is not your character even if you were the one to suggest him. He is already one of the highest level characters around, has an apperentice and some other minor things. Start focusing on the town as a town and not as a place where your bard lives. I ask you that only because it ruins my experience from this thread, reading you writing over and over again about your bard.

On a side not, people have implied here that there are too many suggestions per period, imo we just need to announce developement to the town more often. When a major event is thirded it should immediately written in the next year along with all the minor events and then we just move forward to the next year. Every other major event that wasn't thirded yet can just be included in the next year after it does. This would also mean that a "stop" won't stop the flow of the thread.

Oh btw, Grahm has been 19 years old for quite some time now, by my calculations he is 24 already.

Jayabalard
2007-08-26, 09:27 AM
Please please PLEASE stop that obsession of yours with that bard, as stated by the OP, he is not your character even if you were the one to suggest him. He is already one of the highest level characters around, has an apperentice and some other minor things. Start focusing on the town as a town and not as a place where your bard lives. I ask you that only because it ruins my experience from this thread, reading you writing over and over again about your bard.
While I agree, once a character exists, others should be adding elements that affect that individual, if the original intro of Jacob included all of his family being killed, then either

1. Jacob wasn't aware that anyone survived (seems kind of implausable)
2. Jacob lied about it (seems like a really petty thing to lie about, so also implausable)
3. Retcon his backstory a bit so that he has a surviving brother.
4. "Jeff Allmrind" is a cousin or some such rather than a brother, and only Jakob's immediate family was killed.

I'd prefer.

On a side not, people have implied here that there are too many suggestions per period, imo we just need to announce developement to the town more often. When a major event is thirded it should immediately written in the next year along with all the minor events and then we just move forward to the next year. Every other major event that wasn't thirded yet can just be included in the next year after it does. This would also mean that a "stop" won't stop the flow of the thread.

Oh btw, Grahm has been 19 years old for quite some time now, by my calculations he is 24 already.Good call on the ages; if noone else posts an update before I get a chance to, I'll try and get all of that in the next one.

Year 14 Summer.

Though things quite down over the next year, work continues on the secondary wall and increasing the size of the town guard, and the town militia expands. Considering Gregory's illness, Sir Edward's arrival is well timed; eager for the chance to prove himself, he begins working with the guard and leading some of it's newer members. Sir Edward is working with the guard in hopes that he can prove himself to Tobias and become a knight in his service; since he's the youngest son, he doesn't stand to inherit any land.

Grahm notices Brim's disappearance but hasn't been able to figure out where he's gone; that combined with the mysterious behavior of some of the other arcane casters in the town only increases his paranoia.

Total population: 750
Families: 200

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 20, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 20)
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (25 years old)

Town Guard
Sir Edward Barrington NG human Fighter 4 (Acting sergeant, but don't call him that)
Frederik Holderhiem: Warrior 2 (Oskar's Son)
62 Level 1 Warriors, mostly human, but a handful (8) of dwarves.

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 24) Human Sorc 5
Brim Greenstone: (age 22) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
NG Female Half-Elven Ranger 2
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 12) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)

Outside of Town

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House

Proposals:

The schoolhouse is expanded, and Betty Billings starts teaching there as well. Jim Billings doesn't seem to be interested in following in his father's footsteps as an inkeeper, and continues to train with the guard.

Mechanics proposal: as a character become more defined, rather than becoming commoner 1/ class x, just have them replace their commoner level with the other class (be it warrior, expert, bard, whatever). This is especially true of children as they grow up.

puppyavenger
2007-08-26, 12:55 PM
While I agree, once a character exists, others should be adding elements that affect that individual, if the original intro of Jacob included all of his family being killed, then either

1. Jacob wasn't aware that anyone survived (seems kind of implausable)
2. Jacob lied about it (seems like a really petty thing to lie about, so also implausable)
3. Retcon his backstory a bit so that he has a surviving brother.
4. "Jeff Allmrind" is a cousin or some such rather than a brother, and only Jakob's immediate family was killed.

I'd prefer.

Good call on the ages; if noone else posts an update before I get a chance to, I'll try and get all of that in the next one.

Year 14 Summer.

Though things quite down over the next year, work continues on the secondary wall and increasing the size of the town guard, and the town militia expands. Considering Gregory's illness, Sir Edward's arrival is well timed; eager for the chance to prove himself, he begins working with the guard and leading some of it's newer members. Sir Edward is working with the guard in hopes that he can prove himself to Tobias and become a knight in his service; since he's the youngest son, he doesn't stand to inherit any land.

Grahm notices Brim's disappearance but hasn't been able to figure out where he's gone; that combined with the mysterious behavior of some of the other arcane casters in the town only increases his paranoia.

Total population: 750
Families: 200

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 20, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 20)
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (25 years old)

Town Guard
Sir Edward Barrington NG human Fighter 4 (Acting sergeant, but don't call him that)
62 Level 1 Warriors, mostly human, but a handful (8) of dwarves.

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 24) Human Sorc 5
Brim Greenstone: (age 22) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 12) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)

Outside of Town

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House

Proposals:

The schoolhouse is expanded, and Betty Billings starts teaching there as well. Jim Billings doesn't seem to be interested in following in his father's footsteps as an inkeeper, and continues to train with the guard.

Mechanics proposal: as a character become more defined, rather than becoming commoner 1/ class x, just have them replace their commoner level with the other class (be it warrior, expert, bard, whatever). This is especially true of children as they grow up.

seconded all

kkortekaas
2007-08-26, 01:59 PM
I'd just like to comment on how much I'm enjoying the development of the town. It really does feel like a living breathing place with history and what not. a Perfect home base for any group of Players.

Keep up the good work!

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-26, 05:19 PM
The reason I'm trying to block the Jeff Idea is because:
1) what kind of an Idiot parent would name their childeren with the same begining letter?
2) because I'm thinking of having Jakob go a little bit on the fruit-loops side and start seeing other people in the town as his deceased family, even refering to Betty Billings as if she was his daughter.

make your choice now "Jeff" or Jakob Becoming insane, because I will not allow Jakob to go Insane as long as 1 of his family members survive.

Knight In Armor
2007-08-27, 01:17 AM
1) what kind of an Idiot parent would name their childeren with the same begining letter?
2) because I'm thinking of having Jakob go a little bit on the fruit-loops side and start seeing other people in the town as his deceased family, even refering to Betty Billings as if she was his daughter.

make your choice now "Jeff" or Jakob Becoming insane, because I will not allow Jakob to go Insane as long as 1 of his family members survive.

Dude, it's already been said: Jakob isn't "your" character. Anyone can do stuff with him now that he has been introduced. I'm sure that people will do other stuff with Sir Edward then I have envisioned. Just go with the flow of the thread.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-27, 02:53 AM
Dude, it's already been said: Jakob isn't "your" character. Anyone can do stuff with him now that he has been introduced. I'm sure that people will do other stuff with Sir Edward then I have envisioned. Just go with the flow of the thread.

Set sail for FAIL.

Jakob Sells the Mine to Tobias for 10,000 gold(not negotiable price) so he can spend more time on his other duties as he is reaching his late 40's.
Jakob also buys a ship of which he plans to sail out of here as soon as he thinks Betty Billings is ready to take her own path in the world, he store the ship In a Building of which has enchanted by a level 20 wizard so that Grahm can't get into it and Jakob locks it by himself.

Grahm is angry and goes on a bit of a Rampage on the animals in the area, the local Druid and Rangers are not Impressed so they give the Town an option to hand over Grahm, Tobias has to decide: Hostilites or the death of a young boy.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-27, 03:59 AM
In regards to Jakob I don't think the only child thing was seconded.

sefiru
2007-08-27, 07:37 AM
Since we haven't heard much about Amary Valentine yet,

Proposed:

Through involvement in the magic guild/club/quilting circle/whatever, Amary is introduced to Iriellen. Previously, Amary has been unimpressed by the "touchy-feely" common view of Good-alignment, but now Iriellen introduces her to formal philosophy concerning Good. (whatever the Baldur's Gate equivalents are to Aquinas, Kant et al.) Amary is intrigued; she and Iriellen frequently get into screaming arguments over philosophy and enjoy every minute of it. (when two nerds get together, y'know...) Amary edges closer to the Good, and gets a rank or two in Knowledge(religion).

Also proposed:

The halfling caravan seems under-developed, so I suggest the following two families:

Ran Hartglen: Halfling Expert 2, a copper- and tinsmith, who provides the town with such things as cooking pots, lanterns and spoons. He has a wife and three children, his oldest son Emet is his apprentice. They make harness ornament studs too, and Kane Hillman is their best, and most suspicious, customer.

The Lynkirtle Brothers, Larish, Taln, Finan and Gehn. Halfling bards 1 (at most). A musical quartet on fiddle, drum, and flute, often to be heard in the caravan of an evening. They also play in the town square during the day for money.

(I feel like these Halfling names are not quite right, so feel free to alter them.)

Jayabalard
2007-08-27, 07:49 AM
1) what kind of an Idiot parent would name their childeren with the same begining letter?It's not that uncommon. My brother and I have the first two letters in common.

If the name bothers you, propose a different one; if them being brothers bothers you, propose that they be cousins instead.

2) because I'm thinking of having Jakob go a little bit on the fruit-loops side and start seeing other people in the town as his deceased family, even refering to Betty Billings as if she was his daughter.You're free to propose that... but keep in mind that he's not your character, so you don't have any special control over his actions

Jakob Sells the Mine to Tobias for 10,000 gold(not negotiable price) so he can spend more time on his other duties as he is reaching his late 40's.
Jakob also buys a ship of which he plans to sail out of here as soon as he thinks Betty Billings is ready to take her own path in the world, he store the ship In a Building of which has enchanted by a level 20 wizard so that Grahm can't get into it and Jakob locks it by himself.Stop.

Throwing a snit fit to write "your" character out of the story just because you don't agre with the directions that people are going is not acceptable. There is no level 20 wizard in the town to do the enchanting.

There's no reason for Tobias to be interested in buying the mine;technically he's the local lord, so it's likely the land belongs to him even if the mine belongs to Jakob.

Grahm is angry and goes on a bit of a Rampage on the animals in the area, the local Druid and Rangers are not Impressed so they give the Town an option to hand over Grahm, Tobias has to decide: Hostilites or the death of a young boy.Stop again.

The discussion when Grahm was introduced was that he was a future to be a BBEG, and as you've presented it, this is counterproductive that.

You don't give any reasoning for him being angry, so this is just being disruptive with no story basis.

Grahm is pretty good about keeping a low profile, and this doesn't fit in with that at all. He's managed to pull off attempted murder without getting caught, so I'm pretty sure he could manage to kill a few animals without getting caught as well. If anything, he's becoming paranoid and overcautious.

The two choices you present for Tobias' actions are absurd; nor are they even accurate, since Grahm is not a young boy (if the year's turned, he's 25).

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-27, 07:49 AM
Ran Hartglen: Halfling Expert 2, a copper- and tinsmith, who provides the town with such things as cooking pots, lanterns and spoons. He has a wife and three children, his oldest son Emet is his apprentice. They make harness ornament studs too, and Kane Hillman is their best, and most suspicious, customer.

The Lynkirtle Brothers, Larish, Taln, Finan and Gehn. Halfling bards 1 (at most). A musical quartet on fiddle, drum, and flute, often to be heard in the caravan of an evening. They also play in the town square during the day for money.

Seconded.

Second stop.

Jayabalard
2007-08-27, 08:01 AM
Since we haven't heard much about Amary Valentine yet,

Proposed:

Through involvement in the magic guild/club/quilting circle/whatever, Amary is introduced to Iriellen. Previously, Amary has been unimpressed by the "touchy-feely" common view of Good-alignment, but now Iriellen introduces her to formal philosophy concerning Good. (whatever the Baldur's Gate equivalents are to Aquinas, Kant et al.) Amary is intrigued; she and Iriellen frequently get into screaming arguments over philosophy and enjoy every minute of it. (when two nerds get together, y'know...) Amary edges closer to the Good, and gets a rank or two in Knowledge(religion).

Also proposed:

The halfling caravan seems under-developed, so I suggest the following two families:

(I feel like these Halfling names are not quite right, so feel free to alter them.)seconded.

though... caravan isn't necessarily the right word anymore, since they seem like they're a permanent fixture.

Proposal: In the interest of smoothing things out: Retcon Jeff to being Jakob's cousin rather than brother (if nothing else that will prevent them from ever forming the Allmrind Brothers Band)

AKA_Bait
2007-08-27, 08:13 AM
Seems like it might be time to start a new thread on this, since we have hit page 11. I'd do it my self with an update but... honestly... I'm not really sure what the heck is cannon anymore.

Grug
2007-08-27, 08:44 AM
With Graham sealed out of the mines, he petitions Lord Tobias to allow him entry under the guise that he wants to venture into the underdark and kill any creatures around that may be a threat. Actualy, he's trying to pocket more gold from the deep veins, as well as put up a good reputation for himself in the town.

puppyavenger
2007-08-27, 09:15 AM
With Graham sealed out of the mines, he petitions Lord Tobias to allow him entry under the guise that he wants to venture into the underdark and kill any creatures around that may be a threat. Actualy, he's trying to pocket more gold from the deep veins, as well as put up a good reputation for himself in the town.

how was he locked out of the mine?

anyway seconded

proposal the dark wizzard realises that brim was lying.

Jayabalard
2007-08-27, 09:23 AM
With Graham sealed out of the mines, he petitions Lord Tobias to allow him entry under the guise that he wants to venture into the underdark and kill any creatures around that may be a threat. Actualy, he's trying to pocket more gold from the deep veins, as well as put up a good reputation for himself in the town.I hate to call a stop again, but there are just too many holes as is; if you can tighten some of them up there's some potential here. or if you want help, I'm sure someone can help direct this a bit to have it make a bit more sense.

I assume by Graham you mean Grahm. Grahm isn't sealed out of the mines as far as I'm aware. Who's doing the petitioning to get into the mine (the he isn't clear as to whether you're still talking about grahm or somone else)? If you still talking about Grahm, he wouldn't need to petition Tobias about it; Jakob is the mine owner, so he would have to work through him rather than Tobias.

Has he actually stolen any gold from the mine? as far a I'm aware, he hasn't, so "pocket more gold" isn't accurate.

Gold doesn't just sit around to be picked up and he has no background in mining. Gold ore isn't pure once it's mined; it needs to be refined. He can't just use it to buy stuff in the town. How is he planning on refining the gold and/or selling it so that he can actually spend it. He's a pretty intelligent guy, and seems to usually have plans for these sorts of things.

Thrawntrooper
2007-08-27, 09:41 AM
proposal the dark wizzard realises that brim was lying.

Is the dark wizard Grahm(Sorceror)? or Jeff(Bard)? And what lie of Brim's does he see through?

Proposal: In the interest of smoothing things out: Retcon Jeff to being Jakob's cousin rather than brother (if nothing else that will prevent them from ever forming the Allmrind Brothers Band)

Seconded

Proposal: (though I don't mind if this gets stopped or held off for a year until the timing is more appropriate, just something that could be interesting)
Umla goes to Tobias with her concerns and suspcions about Grahm, they do some investigating and come up with lots of evidence of Grahm's handywork, but nothing solid. So they go to him and not being able to arrest him, demand that he leave the village. Grahm realising that he is unable to match Umla and Tobias, leaves the village.

Extreme? true, that is why I don't mind a stop if people want to. I just think that if he gets out of town and adventures for say 3-5yrs, then he can return with a lot of experience, magic items and one massively inflated grudge against the village and two of its main NPCs. That could make him a bit more impressive of an BBEG. Currently he still comes accross as a petulant teen (in his 20s)

Also Maybe we should make a decision on Gregory Eckson soon, i.e. Live or Die, he's been bed ridden for a few years now.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-27, 09:47 AM
Is the dark wizard Grahm(Sorceror)? or Jeff(Bard)? And what lie of Brim's does he see through?

now.

Brim left townto get tutored under a dark wizard, with Brim pretending to be Grahm.

Jayabalard
2007-08-27, 09:53 AM
Proposal: (though I don't mind if this gets stopped or held off for a year until the timing is more appropriate, just something that could be interesting)
Umla goes to Tobias with her concerns and suspcions about Grahm, they do some investigating and come up with lots of evidence of Grahm's handywork, but nothing solid. So they go to him and not being able to arrest him, demand that he leave the village. Grahm realising that he is unable to match Umla and Tobias, leaves the village.

Extreme? true, that is why I don't mind a stop if people want to. I just think that if he gets out of town and adventures for say 3-5yrs, then he can return with a lot of experience, magic items and one massively inflated grudge against the village and two of its main NPCs. That could make him a bit more impressive of an BBEG. Currently he still comes accross as a petulant teen (in his 20s)I suggest that we hold off on this until Brim's situation is resolved.

if Brim picks up a bit of training from the dark wizard, he may be back to challenge Grahm (since he's kind of chafed at being Grahm's toady for a while). In that case, Grahm and Brim should have it out before Grahm gets kicked from the town.

Also Maybe we should make a decision on Gregory Eckson soon, i.e. Live or Die, he's been bed ridden for a few years now.He may or may not be bedridden, but definitely ill; I had some thoughts but it just hasn't seemed like the time to propose that yet.

Thrawntrooper
2007-08-27, 04:43 PM
Oops missed the Brim being Grahm bit, my bad.

Ok lets hold off on the Grahm exiling til a more appropriate time, if it happens at all, I'm cool with that.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-27, 05:27 PM
I'm actually going to second Grahm leaving, it's fine with Brim coming back, and him coming back would even be more impressive if they were BOTH leveled up.

Grahm's rogue obviously goes with him. And technically Brim's still around to cause trouble while the two are gone, he's just across the forest.

Also second and third the above stops. And also a stop on Brim being discovered, or a proposal in the act that he is... the wizard tutors him anyways, as wizard to wizard is easier to tutor than wizard to sorcerer.

Adjustant to brim leaving: He's crafty, there wasn't even anything to support that he'd done anything wrong, but he's starting to get so paranoid that he exiles himself from the town.

ArlEammon
2007-08-27, 05:39 PM
Proposal:
A priest of (insert magic deity here) (Adept 7) enters the town in hopes to set up a magic shop. (Or church. Or monastery just outside the town.)

Gustave Neonate
Human Male Adept 7
LG

Gustave Neonate seeks to grow in his magic potential. To do so he has moved to a secluded area, where he can study in peace.

puppyavenger
2007-08-27, 06:47 PM
Proposal:
A priest of (insert magic deity here) (Adept 7) enters the town in hopes to set up a magic shop. (Or church. Or monastery just outside the town.)

Gustave Neonate
Human Male Adept 7
LG

Gustave Neonate seeks to grow in his magic potential. To do so he has moved to a secluded area, where he can study in peace.

pretty sure the FR magic god is CN

PsyBlade
2007-08-27, 07:02 PM
I like the direction Amary is going.

ArlEammon
2007-08-27, 07:48 PM
THank you sir!

Beren One-Hand
2007-08-28, 12:52 AM
Proposal (might be a bit of a retcon):
1) Gregory Eckson isn't actually sick. Grahm managed to aquire a scroll of Bestow Curse, and the physical weakening from the resultant curse resembles a disease (which explains why Tobias couldn't remove the disease.)
2) During discussions at the magic club, Aust decides to try using Break Enchantment since the necromancy spell on Eckson has resisted all healing attempts and dispelling attempts.
3) This discovery is the final straw for Aust Umla and she finally manages to get get Grahm confronted and exhiled (as per previous suggestion)

High-Chancellor
2007-08-28, 01:29 AM
I would second that with the following addendum:

There's no proof that it originated from Grahm, but he notices they're watching him and leaves on his own. Of course with his rogue in tow.

He needs to keep that rogue with him as a stolid lieutenant up until he achieves BBEG status.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-28, 02:35 AM
In regards to Jakob I don't think the only child thing was seconded.

I never said only child. I said ALL OF HIS FAMILY WAS DEAD. pay attention.

Thrawntrooper
2007-08-28, 02:43 AM
Proposal (might be a bit of a retcon):
1) Gregory Eckson isn't actually sick. Grahm managed to aquire a scroll of Bestow Curse, and the physical weakening from the resultant curse resembles a disease (which explains why Tobias couldn't remove the disease.)
2) During discussions at the magic club, Aust decides to try using Break Enchantment since the necromancy spell on Eckson has resisted all healing attempts and dispelling attempts.
3) This discovery is the final straw for Aust Umla and she finally manages to get get Grahm confronted and exhiled (as per previous suggestion)

I third it if I can.

A quick question to everyone, what is Jacob Allmrind doing with all his money? I see him as probably being the richest person in town with his personal gold mine, especially as it has been several years since he discovered it and he has a small group of dwarves mining it. And as far as I can see he is still living above his gold mine, which would be a little strange.

So in saying that.

Proposal: Even after taxes and wages to his miners, Jacob Allmrind has amassed quite a fortune, he uses this to build himself a much nicer house or even an estate on the far bank (which I could see becoming the "wealthy" part of town as it is away from the mines and the docks and barracks). As well he funds the construction of a new larger school that is long over due as the population has grown. Due to his reputation he has also dedicated a section of the school to train pupils in the bardic arts. His apprentice Betty has graduated to journeyman(woman) level, however she shoose to stay on to help teach the younger students.

Edit

The SwashbBuckler seems to want to Hang around the Inn at night and the School by day, telling the Children tales of his previous adventures and other people's adventures, his family has died at the Hands of a Dark Mage over the last year and he still seams to be affected by it.

Your original descriptive paragraph, yes it does say family, so you are right about that. However it isn't your character anymore and I'm sure it isn't beyond bounds of reasoning that a long lost cousin couldn't survive. Or maybe Jeff is involved in the deaths of the rest of the family and faked his own death from Jakob, they did have an arguemnt on his return (he may not have been the killer but could have betrayed the family or gotten involved in the wrong sorts, a reason for his missing hand). I orginally read it as only meaning his immediate family, ie. Wife and kids (which would explain why he is heavily involved in the school). I'm sure alot of others took it that way too.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-28, 05:03 AM
this is the only solution I see as acceptable:
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/9/8/28/chilli/t_FamilyTreem_3a68944.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/8/28/chilli/f_FamilyTreem_3a68944.png&srv=img33)

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-28, 05:43 AM
this is the only solution I see as acceptable:
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/9/8/28/chilli/t_FamilyTreem_3a68944.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/8/28/chilli/f_FamilyTreem_3a68944.png&srv=img33)

I'll second that.

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 10:20 AM
I never said only child. I said ALL OF HIS FAMILY WAS DEAD. pay attention.Actually you just said "his family" and these were just stories that he was telling. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone.

"The evil wizard killed all of my family" cliche is kind of tired and worn... it's almost as bad as adding in a villian that looks like this guy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Villianc.svg/300px-Villianc.svg.png

So there's nothing wrong with someone else coming along and specifying that "his family was killed" meant that immediate family was killed: wife and children (daughters); he may or may not have any surviving brothers, cousins, nephews, parents, grandparents, etc.

and you don't own this character... pay attention.

this is the only solution I see as acceptable:Thirded, if only to move past it.

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 11:57 AM
bah, sorry about the double post.

Proposal:

Gustave Neonate
Human Male Adept 7
LG

Gustave Neonate seeks to grow in his magic potential. To do so he has moved to a secluded area, where he can study in peace.With the exceptions of his level and as long as we can avoid a generic "magic shop", I'll third this. I think it's fine if we drop his level a little (level 7 makes him a little bigger player than you may be intending). If people really want him to be higher level that's ok, just keep in mind that should also have an effect on his status in the community.

As for the magic shop... I personally hate generic magic shops; I don't mind if he sells assorted magic stuff here, but shops with shelves and shelves of magic items always seem absurd to me, especially in small towns.

internerdj
2007-08-28, 11:59 AM
adding in a villian that looks like this guy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Villianc.svg/300px-Villianc.svg.png

Seconded:
Proposal: He is a CE Monk 2.

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 12:12 PM
Seconded:
Proposal: He is a CE Monk 2.bah; That wasn't a proposal. :smallbiggrin:

I third it if I can.

A quick question to everyone, what is Jacob Allmrind doing with all his money? I see him as probably being the richest person in town with his personal gold mine, especially as it has been several years since he discovered it and he has a small group of dwarves mining it. And as far as I can see he is still living above his gold mine, which would be a little strange.

So in saying that.

Proposal: Even after taxes and wages to his miners, Jacob Allmrind has amassed quite a fortune, he uses this to build himself a much nicer house or even an estate on the far bank (which I could see becoming the "wealthy" part of town as it is away from the mines and the docks and barracks). As well he funds the construction of a new larger school that is long over due as the population has grown. Due to his reputation he has also dedicated a section of the school to train pupils in the bardic arts. His apprentice Betty has graduated to journeyman(woman) level, however she shoose to stay on to help teach the younger students.Funny enough, I just wen back through and was looking for specifics and him finding a mine was never thirded... no big deal since there wasn't an objection.

My thought has always been that since Tobias actually has a claim the land, that others would be granted permission to build on it; as such, even though Jakob is the mine "owner" he still has to pay a substantial cut of his profits to Tobias, and that's what has been used to fund the town, especially the school and the guard.

Running a gold mine doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get wealthy; it's possible that he's only been just covering his expenses, or that he may have only made a modest profit.

Since he couldn't have had a hugely profitable mine without other people coming here specifically to get rich off gold (a gold rush) I suggest that his mining operation was only moderately profitable, and that the fact that he was buying the raw gold from other miners may have been where he made more of his money.

With that in mind, I second the proposal; it sets the stage for some different areas of the city divided by money (which will make it seem more like a real city)

Diego
2007-08-28, 12:26 PM
Propsal: Ferrox, along with a party of craftsmen and merchants approaches Tobias about the formation of a town council, empowered to regulate small matters within the walls - finding and prosecuting petty theft, arbitration of trade disputes, fines for disturbance of the peace, notary services and contract enforcement as well as collecting a small tax on imported goods. They would have some close ties with the town militia (as necessary for enforcement of a few of these things). Ferrox, along with the other merchants, has drafted a not unreasonable charter containing the rules and legislation appropriate to such a body. The interpretation, enforcement, and possible modification of this charter is to be overseen by a body of 5 councilmen, two to be designated by Tobias, two to be chosen by the peers of the community, and the head of the town guard or his chosen subordinate. Ferrox, being instrumental in the writing of this charter (being a lawyer by trade who spends more and more time managing other interests) would be a strong candidate for the position of "peer choice", but it isn't necessary for his designs. Tobias, as lord of the town, would maintain veto right over any decision made by the council.

If the charter is accepted and Ferrox nominated, he attempts to purchase ownership of a large plot on the far bank from the town and establishes a more permanent residence (6-9 months of the year) there, resembling a fortified manor, on whose walled grounds he builds a small vinyard.

Ferrox's motives: Ferrox is a big city boy, and establishing a council and legal system shifts the town to playing by big city rules, rather than the well meaning, but autocratic rule by Tobias. Whether or not he is made a councilman, it shifts the playing field for operation in his favor, as well as distancing Tobias from the day to day operations. Tobias's veto power is included in the charter as an appeasement, but also as a trap - if the paladin should make use of it (meaning that Tobias's representatives were outvoted by the townspeople as well as the head of the militia) it puts the paladin in a very bad light, further distancing him from popular control of the town. Ferrox setting up residence across the bank would give him control of what is a logical next development for the town and quite possibly a growing 'upper class' district. He could portion segments of his land and rent it to merchants in this area providing substantial income and influence if things go his way. He would also be able to import lackeys from Baldur's Gate (where he is still a relatively minor player) or hire key members of the militia as guardsmen (as he is outside the town walls currently).

This represents a farily major shift in his holdings, moving his primary base of operations to the new town, and away from Baldur's Gate.

Edit: Is Jakob Allmrand's alignment establish? A character as influential and charismatic as a bard would be a key player in Ferrox's eyes - either one he wishes to sway to his side as an ally or one who must be closely watched and, if possible, controlled.

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 12:38 PM
Propsal: Ferrox, along with a party of craftsmen and merchants approaches Tobias about the formation of a town council, empowered to regulate small matters within the walls - finding and prosecuting petty theft, arbitration of trade disputes, fines for disturbance of the peace, notary services and contract enforcement as well as collecting a small tax on imported goods. Just an FYI, there's already a town council (though I think we may have missed an election, we'll just assume that they kept the status quo), so he would have presented it to them as well.

For the most part though, it sounds pretty good to me; seconded.

We're in dire need of a yearly summary; if anyone gets to it before I can, we may have more than a single years worth of stuff.

Diego
2007-08-28, 12:43 PM
Just an FYI, there's already a town council (though I think we may have missed an election, we'll just assume that they kept the status quo), so he would have presented it to them as well.

For the most part though, it sounds pretty good to me; seconded.

We're in dire need of a yearly summary; if anyone gets to it before I can, we may have more than a single years worth of stuff.

Hrm. Must have missed that, way back when. Modify the proposal then to the establishment of a written charter and legislative system for said town council, as well as a strictly written document as to the appropriate realm of jurisprudence for said council.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-28, 12:50 PM
Crud, the mine was never thirded? I would have called a stop on it but I thought it was solidly canon by now. I've always disliked the mine.

or wait, I thought things only needed to be thirded to STOP?

In any case...

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 12:50 PM
Is Jakob Allmrand's alignment establish? A character as influential and charismatic as a bard would be a key player in Ferrox's eyes - either one he wishes to sway to his side as an ally or one who must be closely watched and, if possible, controlled.CG, and he's been a philanthropist; he may be a bit unstable due to the death of his family.

by the way, while looking for that I ran across:

Propose
Some of Tobias's old companions sent a note letting Tobias know they are coming for a visit. That was seconded but never thirded or acted on as far as I can tell (there was all of the original stink about Jakob Allmrind right about the same time).

I'll go ahead and third it... it's been close to 15 year, so it makes sense that Tobias might be having a bit of reunion with old companions this next year.

Crud, the mine was never thirded? I would have called a stop on it but I thought it was solidly canon by now. I've always disliked the mine.I know what you mean. I'd like to suggest that since it's canon we treat it as if it were a moderately profitable mining operation at best, otherwise we'd have had a gold rush and lots of people moving to the area for that reason, and that didn't happen.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-28, 01:06 PM
CG, and he's been a philanthropist; he may be a bit unstable due to the death of his family.

I know what you mean. I'd like to suggest that since it's canon we treat it as if it were a moderately profitable mining operation at best, otherwise we'd have had a gold rush and lots of people moving to the area for that reason, and that didn't happen.

Yeah, that's why I was against the mine in the first place, gold mines have a tendency to cause a population boom. Therefore: a not terribly successful gold mine, if there has to be one, sounds best.

I'm actually going to propose that the gold mine dries up.

Also I propose that Ferrox goes to try to recruit Jakob A, spinning his words appopriately for a CG philanthropist. He's trying to work for "the benefit of the community." I might even find him interesting if he accepts.

elliott20
2007-08-28, 01:48 PM
man, you go away for a week on vacation and then this whole thing just explodes. anyway...

Hrm. Must have missed that, way back when. Modify the proposal then to the establishment of a written charter and legislative system for said town council, as well as a strictly written document as to the appropriate realm of jurisprudence for said council.

Diego, that some quality writing right there. I'm going to third this. It's about time this town starts its growth spurt and wear some big boy pants.

Also I propose that Ferrox goes to try to recruit Jakob A, spinning his words appopriately for a CG philanthropist. He's trying to work for "the benefit of the community." I might even find him interesting if he accepts.

Seconded.

Ferrox comes across as the type of man who ought to have a very persuasive personality. In fact...

Proposal:Ferrox would propose a partnership or even financially aid Jakob A in some of his philanthropic-endeavors just to make sure he further cements his reputation within the community.

PsyBlade
2007-08-28, 02:05 PM
Seconded elliot's proposal, which thirds the the proposal it was affecting.

Diego
2007-08-28, 02:18 PM

The day that CG and LE work happily side by side....

A few ideas:
Jakob seems heavily invested in the school. Perhaps Ferrox uses his connections in Baldur's Gate to provide some boon to it - a minor magic item, a small library, a visit from a notable figure?
He goes out of his way to help ease Jakob's workings with the City Council, obtaining permits, helping negotiate with effected parties.
Arranges for a visit of some friend from Jakob's past (Adventuring companion?).

elliott20
2007-08-28, 02:28 PM
I just had an "ebony and ivory" song moment in my head.

A few ideas:
Jakob seems heavily invested in the school. Perhaps Ferrox uses his connections in Baldur's Gate to provide some boon to it - a minor magic item, a small library, a visit from a notable figure?
He goes out of his way to help ease Jakob's workings with the City Council, obtaining permits, helping negotiate with effected parties.
This I like.

the friend visit I'm a little shakey about, but the rest of it makes a lot of sense to me.

High-Chancellor
2007-08-28, 05:09 PM

A few ideas:

That especially works if Jakob's gold mine dries up. He's still a notable figure, but his assets are beginning to faulter under the weight of his responsibilities, Ferrox offers to take him in under his wing...

Diego
2007-08-28, 05:31 PM
That especially works if Jakob's gold mine dries up. He's still a notable figure, but his assets are beginning to faulter under the weight of his responsibilities, Ferrox offers to take him in under his wing...

No need for insisting upon subserviance. Where Jakob would chafe working under another person, if he recieves unexpected aid from a friend and peer from time to time...

Especially if the two set up residence across the river, an evening invitation for a meal and pleasant company ("Dear Jakob, I have a bottle of wine from Waterdeep as a gift. Would you care to join me in enjoying it and regale me with a few of your tales? Also, I heard some mention that you had plans for your schoolhouse, but none of the specifics..."), a helping hand offered in some endeavor that was mentioned that night ("I spoke with Goodman Hughes on the council last afternoon, and he has relinquished his objection to the schoolhouse expansion encroaching on his garden") , leading to an ongoing friendly relation between the two houses ("Is it really already Betty's seventeenth birthday? I did a case a few years back for a master crafter back in Baldur's Gate... I believe he has made some quite fine lutes in his time...")

After all, when your currency is the respect and high opinion of the people, a high level Bard who will defend you of his own volition is a resource that cannot be underestimated.

Conversely, an NPC class matching Bluff v Sense Motive (after a fashion) with a bard is a high risk game.

Jayabalard
2007-08-28, 06:26 PM
Conversely, an NPC class matching Bluff v Sense Motive (after a fashion) with a bard is a high risk game.Bluff may not be that necessary.

I'm sketchy on Ferrox's character, but being evil doesn't in and of itself mean that he wouldn't want to cultivate influential friends, or that he won't genuinely be interested in helping someone as long as he gets something out of it, and with his long lifespan "getting something out of it" may be, and probably is, something long term.

Diego
2007-08-28, 06:46 PM
Bluff may not be that necessary.

I'm sketchy on Ferrox's character, but being evil doesn't in and of itself mean that he wouldn't want to cultivate influential friends, or that he won't genuinely be interested in helping someone as long as he gets something out of it, and with his long lifespan "getting something out of it" may be, and probably is, something long term.

No, that was in fact a large part of what I had in mind when the character was introduced (and I think the community has successfully picked up on that). Lawful Evil can be a pillar of the community - he is an upright citizen, but most of his moves are calculated to be to his eventual benefit. He doesn't try and give off that vibe to everyone, but some people sense it (Tobias) and don't particularly enjoy it. Its an open question whether Jakob would sense it (hence the comment about Sense Motive), and if consorting with someone like that particularly bothers him.

Grug
2007-08-28, 08:55 PM
I missed alot in just 1 day

As for my earlier suggestion: Graham = Grahm, sorry if I spell the name wrong (lol the same thing happened with Jakob and Jeff).

Anyways I distinctly remember someone saying that Grahm had been sneaking into the mine with his cronies and stealing gold ore, which he would pawn off to the halflings at a profit and using Ferrox to launder his funds. then the council got wind of it and banned him from the mines.

You guys are actually violating the rules, not every action has to be seconded or thirded, only ones that majorly change the town.

New thing: A new tavern opens by the mines, called the Grumpy Shovel. It's owner is the dwarf Targak Bjorin (Rogue 3, CN). He came to the town as an opportunist, with a small bag of gems pilfered from an old statue he found in a ditch and hoping to buy the mines himself to support his greed. However, his meager offer was declined, so he had an idea. If he couldn't get the gold directly from the mine, he'd get it from the people who worked there. So he started a tavern.

The Grumpy Shovel is built 4 feet into the ground and is 2 stories high and has a basement, which digs into an underground spring providing mineral rich water. The ceilings are low, and the place seems almost fortress like with stone walls and squat, square benches. The primary fare is special Spicy Ale and Bitter Lager, as well as a few bottles of tough stuff. Food isn't much more than nuts and rolls, and boiled venison made in the springwater. The place isn't often clean, and thanks to word of mouth the place has earned the nickname the Tarpit. Targak needs help running the place, but so far he's turned away any halfling who wanted work, and the taller races would be uncomfortable in such a tight climates. Other dwarves hold the place in contempt, and just come to laugh at the propreitor.

Targak himself is a fairly unpleasant man. He rarely bathes, claiming being dirty protects you from witches. He keeps a loaded heavy crossbow on his side at all times, and enjoys reading lewd books with lots of pictures (he even tries to write some by himself, though they all seem to sound like you're romancing a rock and a smoke cloud). He ates furry animals. He lives in the basement in his own little apartment. He's often rude, and uncomfortably cheerful at the best of times. His one love is a dire beetle he names Curser, and customers often see who can hit the bug with tossed nuts while he's out of the room.

Despite being an accomplished rogue, Targak refrains from stealing. He's still got the scars from a whipping he recieved in Neverwinter after being caught.

ArlEammon
2007-08-28, 09:09 PM
bah, sorry about the double post.

With the exceptions of his level and as long as we can avoid a generic "magic shop", I'll third this. I think it's fine if we drop his level a little (level 7 makes him a little bigger player than you may be intending). If people really want him to be higher level that's ok, just keep in mind that should also have an effect on his status in the community.

As for the magic shop... I personally hate generic magic shops; I don't mind if he sells assorted magic stuff here, but shops with shelves and shelves of magic items always seem absurd to me, especially in small towns.

How about level 6? And him opening a magic shop with love potions, reagents, magical powders, and stuff like that?

elliott20
2007-08-28, 09:39 PM
well, Grug, that's kind of the thing, introducing major NPCs IS a major change to the town because of the influence said character can exert by virtue of his expertise. I mean, if you had just introduced another family of experts/commoners, yeah, that wouldn't be a major change since their impact upon the populace would just be another family and numerical at best. (Unless said family have members in them who are inherently extraordinary in some fashion, like the twin sisters.)

So far, we've stuck mostly to pretty major actions as a result of this. This is not to say that we're trying to be draconian about this. It's just that, the goal here is write something that feels plausible. And just arbitrarily add PC-like characters to the city feels.... off... especially when we're not sure what purpose they will serve or what their place will be there.

Having said that....

How about level 6? And him opening a magic shop with love potions, reagents, magical powders, and stuff like that?

I say we take that idea, and modify it a little. Don't forget, J'red Darh is also a crafter/caster and probably would have a similar shop.

However, there is one thing that I think people often forget when it comes to magic shop: not all the items have to actually be THAT powerful or powerful at all. (Or hell, they don't even need to work)

I never expanded on J'red's actual trade, just that he's a crafter. How about we say that he crafts clothes and cloth items, utilizing primarily his first levels and cantrips to quickly mend and facilitate the process of creating his merchandice. They never have any actual powers on them. Hell, while he CAN create magical stuff, he generally doesn't since he doesn't see a point.

Now, Let's look at your guy here. You want him to be an actual magic peddler. That's fine. But we can change that up. Instead of making a 7-11 for magical shop, his shop will mostly be a trinket store that has a boutique feel, where he crafts really low level items for sale. Some of them will actually have some magical powers worth noting. Some of them will be items that he crafted using magic but are not magical, and some of them he will claim is magical but is really just superstition or that the magic simply doesn't work.

Basically, he's the kind of guy who will make that sickle that gives you a +1 competence bonus to your farming, or that little love potion with single casting of "charm person" at a DC of 11, or that good luck charm that he claims will bring the wearer good fortune but really is just a very nicely made piece of jewelry. (Hey, just because they live in age of "detect magic" and actual gods doesn't mean they have no superstitions) Of course, he will still have a main product that he focuses on. Now, considering that his products would obviously be luxurious items (seeing as none of his stuff is going to be cheap for most commoners and experts), I am suggesting that he specializes in simple jewelries. A lot of his jewelry is not made of actual precious stones but really out of things like acorns, animal hides, glass, etc. Of course, he would still have the occasional onyx or some such.

so, to summarize:

Proposals:

- J'red Darh is now a clothing maker who uses his magic to create non-magical clothes.

- the new caster runs a luxury accessory/jewelry store with magical items that are very minor in power, if any.

Beren One-Hand
2007-08-28, 10:29 PM
Re: The Cleric of Magic Deity - Basically, he's the kind of guy who will make that sickle that gives you a +1 competence bonus to your farming, or that little love potion with single casting of "charm person" at a DC of 11, or that good luck charm that he claims will bring the wearer good fortune but really is just a very nicely made piece of jewelry. (Hey, just because they live in age of "detect magic" and actual gods doesn't mean they have no superstitions) Of course, he will still have a main product that he focuses on. Now, considering that his products would obviously be luxurious items (seeing as none of his stuff is going to be cheap for most commoners and experts), I am suggesting that he specializes in simple jewelries. A lot of his jewelry is not made of actual precious stones but really out of things like acorns, animal hides, glass, etc. Of course, he would still have the occasional onyx or some such.

I like this idea, and second it - except for the bolded text. The cleric of a god(dess) who specializes in magic should not be a quack selling bunk magic, especially if his/her goal is to study and learn more about magic.

elliott20
2007-08-28, 10:34 PM
well, I'm not saying he's doing selling bunk on purpose. I was thinking more of the lines of him just not having the perfect knowledge for him to create something that works 100% of the time. that's one of the things I don't like about the D&D item creation rules. if you know how to do something, you will never fail at it. It might take additional time, but it will never fail.

however, I will not press that point. it's just a minor texture detail I'd like to throw out there.

ArlEammon
2007-08-28, 10:53 PM
Sure, that sounds great, but he'll be able to grow in competence with the shop? Since he came to Eckland to get stronger anyway?(trying to be phrased as a question)

High-Chancellor
2007-08-28, 11:11 PM
I like it to, except maybe make it him a level 4 instead of 6. Seems a bit more reasonable.

PsyBlade
2007-08-28, 11:14 PM
4 sounds right to me as well. Higher than 5 means superhuman level of skill, that'd be beyond trinkets to be worth his time.

ArlEammon
2007-08-28, 11:18 PM
Any level more than 3 sounds o.k to me.

sefiru
2007-08-29, 12:47 AM
On the mine thing, I bet a lot of people were imagining a huge coal-mine type thing that goes on for miles underground. However, I can't help but think of the mica mines you can see near my hometown: basically 15-foot-deep holes in the ground, maybe with a small cross-tunnel at the bottom.

Moving on ...

Proposed:
The twins are now 14 years old, and their parents tell them it's time to think about either getting married or going into service. With an eye to keeping in the middle of things, the twins seek employment as general maids at the keep. When neccessary, they are assigned to wait on visiting ladies, and thus learn many things about the wider world.

elliott20
2007-08-29, 02:50 AM
Sure, that sounds great, but he'll be able to grow in competence with the shop? Since he came to Eckland to get stronger anyway?(trying to be phrased as a question)
well, by the rules it would difficult and ironically SLOWER for him to make magical items for a living, what with the whole "uses XP to create items" and all. But yeah, of course he can still grow in competence as time goes along. the thing people need to remember though, is that said growth is not going to be fast. After all, these characters are not adventuring, they're just living a very peaceful life. well, I suppose that's relative,since this town has experienced quite a bit in the last few years.

however, for the most part, I would consider living life in a quiet to be probably a CR 1 encounter with only 1/2 xp since the "encounter" is a non-lethal one. With that in mind, it would take someone a significant amount of time to go up in levels if they just sit around in a village all day.

Thrawntrooper
2007-08-29, 03:35 AM
On the mine thing, I bet a lot of people were imagining a huge coal-mine type thing that goes on for miles underground. However, I can't help but think of the mica mines you can see near my hometown: basically 15-foot-deep holes in the ground, maybe with a small cross-tunnel at the bottom.

Moving on ...

Proposed:
The twins are now 14 years old, and their parents tell them it's time to think about either getting married or going into service. With an eye to keeping in the middle of things, the twins seek employment as general maids at the keep. When neccessary, they are assigned to wait on visiting ladies, and thus learn many things about the wider world.

I was thinking of the larger mine style, but mainly cos in 5-10 years it will be more interesting for the adventurers to wander through and explore before hitting the underdark.

I'll second the twins thing, though I think that this is one of those things that just needs to be stated rather than proposed.

I'm looking for somthing that will make life a bit more difficult for the denizens of the forest and to give adventurers something to do if they want to get out and get some fresh air.

So with that in mind

Proposal: A new resident has arrived in the forest. Talcus Oakenbough is an insane CN gnomish werebear, maybe with a couple of levels of wizard (illusionist). he has claimed a large part of the forest as his, luckily it is away from the city. He is disrupting travel through his "realm" with his illusions, and is backing them up in a confrontation with his werebear form. ( I just like the mental image of a warrior type seeing through an illusion, and going after that small guy in the pointy red hat, only to have the bear take over and create a world of pain).

He has had multiple run-ins with the druid's group, though not the druid herself, and has already killed a couple of her warriors (or maybe even the half elf). This has caused druid to put her full attention into finding Talcus.
Of course this means there is no one keeping an eye on the forest nearer to the village and so the bandits have increased their area of activity. As well, villagers are now hunting deeper and felling the older trees further into the forest.

Hopefully this will give a few more options for adventurers who don't want to stay in town. Without dramatically effecting the actual town.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-29, 05:13 AM
Year 15 summer.

Amary joins the arcane club, this leads him to learning about good, and this is very tempting for him. Amary and Iriellin while in their discussions start talking about curses, this leads to Aust casting dispel enchantment on Eckson, after the magic works both Grahm and Marren leave the town.
The town gains a new sector; this is considered the rich part of town though as of yet the only permanent residence is Ferrox and Allmrind’s house. Ferrox and other merchants go to Tobais and the town council, this is accepted and they get ready to choose the people for next year.
Tobias sends a letter to her old adventurers to have a reunion. Gustave comes to town and starts a part jewellery shop part magic shop, though some frown on the many love potions he has, though all who can afford the other trinkets often buy them.
A commoner goes to Brok’s relatives and then after hearing why they were there, shows them to Brok’s graves. They get some weird looks as they enter after seeing the grave they once more camp on the edge of the town again.
As Grahm and Marren go through the forest they see the were illusionist, the two just get away and they make a note of how territorial the were-boar is. Brim continues his training when he is found out to not be Grahm.
Ferrox and Jakob become firm friends, with Ferrox often donating to the school to help enlarge it. Jakob often protect Ferrox from critics, claiming that Ferrox was the kindest person he’d met.

Total population: 800
Families: 210

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 21, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 21)
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (26 years old)

Town Guard
6 Level 3 Warriors (sergeants)
64 Level 1 Warriors, mostly human, but a handful (8) of dwarves.

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 25) Human Sorc 5
Brim Greenstone: (age 23) human wizard 2 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1
Talcus Oakenbough were boar wizard

Gypsy Caravan
Larish, taln, Finahn and Gahn halfling bards 1
Ran Hartglen: Halfling Expert 2, a copper- and tinsmith

Townspeople
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 13) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)
Gustave Neonate human adept 4

Outside of Town

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.

Proposal: Aust and Heckelson and Tyras and Jakob and Ferrox are elected.
Proposal: Grahm get a hat of disguise.
Proposal: Grahm, rogue and Brim raise levels.
Proposal: The school is enlarged by three more rooms.

Thrawntrooper
2007-08-29, 05:37 AM
Year 15 summer.

Amary joins the arcane club, this leads him to learning about good, and this is very tempting for him. Amary and Iriellin while in their discussions start talking about curses, this leads to Aust casting dispel enchantment on Eckson, after the magic works both Grahm and Marren leave the town.
The town gains a new sector; this is considered the rich part of town though as of yet the only permanent residence is Ferrox and Allmrind’s house. Ferrox and other merchants go to Tobais and the town council, this is accepted and they get ready to choose the people for next year.
Tobias sends a letter to her old adventurers to have a reunion. Gustave comes to town and starts a part jewellery shop part magic shop, though some frown on the many love potions he has, though all who can afford the other trinkets often buy them.
A commoner goes to Brok’s relatives and then after hearing why they were there, shows them to Brok’s graves. They get some weird looks as they enter after seeing the grave they once more camp on the edge of the town again.
As Grahm and Marren go through the forest they see the were illusionist, the two just get away and they make a note of how territorial the were-boar is. Brim continues his training when he is found out to not be Grahm.
Ferrox and Jakob become firm friends, with Ferrox often donating to the school to help enlarge it. Jakob often protect Ferrox from critics, claiming that Ferrox was the kindest person he’d met.

Total population: 800

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 21, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)

Town Guard

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 25) Human Sorc 5
Brim Greenstone: (age 23) human wizard 2 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople

Outside of Town

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.

Proposal: The school is enlarged by three more rooms.

Thanks your imperial demonic majesty (er is that the right form of address, not a lot of call for it in Australia), we were well beyond time for a summary.

And I don't know if it was deliberate, but the changing of werebear to wereboar actually works better in my mind.

I'll second all your proposals

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-29, 08:06 AM
erm.. How the hell does a Chaotic Good person get along with a Lawful Evil person?

I seriously don't think Ferrox would like Allmrind or vice-verca they just have an oppisite view on things.

But I suppose they could get along for a little while...until Jakob Finds out about Ferrox's plans for Domination of the Village, of which then Jakob tells Tobias...

elliott20
2007-08-29, 08:56 AM
erm.. How the hell does a Chaotic Good person get along with a Lawful Evil person?

I seriously don't think Ferrox would like Allmrind or vice-verca they just have an oppisite view on things.

But I suppose they could get along for a little while...until Jakob Finds out about Ferrox's plans for Domination of the Village, of which then Jakob tells Tobias...

well, alignment alone does not dictate a person's social skills and tempermant. So, there are a variety of ways that can work.

In the case of Ferrox, if I have him pegged correctly, I actually think whether or not he likes Allmrind is immaterial. Ferrox is a business man, and like all good business men, he knows the importance of networking and establishing connections.

And then on top of that, until Ferrox has actually shown some clear indication that he is in fact a self-serving rule twisting bastard, Allmrind pretty much has no reason to doubt him as being genuine.

Jayabalard
2007-08-29, 09:38 AM
New thing: A new tavern opens by the mines, called the Grumpy Shovel. It's owner is the dwarf Targak Bjorin (Rogue 3, CN). Nicely written for the most part. Two very minor problems (neither is that bit of a deal, just details):

The spring tap shouldn't be under the house; that sort of thing often causes problems with contamination, as well as some instability in the ground/foundation. There's no problem with him tapping it nearby and piping it in though.

The other is just some trivial beer snobbery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer#Ale), though it would make : Lager and ale are actually the two primary branches of beer, and they are made in a using a different process, so he'd probably offer one or the other rather than both; they each use a different type of yeast (which is what requires the different brewing temperatures); perhaps Bitters (Hoppy ale) and some sort of Stout/Porter (also an ale, dark and generally associated with the working class)?

Proposal: The school is enlarged by three more rooms.Something to keep in mind that up to now Heckelson was the town sheriff, which was about equivilent to town mayor.

I'd say that it would be: Aust, Jakob (appointed 2), and Billings, Ferrox (elected 2), and Heckelson (town guard); Billings is pretty much a town founder, and while he's not an aristocrat, he'd probably be the choice of the "working folk"

otherwise I agree, seconded

elliott20
2007-08-29, 09:55 AM
not sure if that counts as a second, but I would like to third it if that is.

however, I feel that there is one point that needs to be elaborated on. If this guy in question is such a piss poor PR guy and he already has severely limited his clientelle, how the hell is he staying in business?

Jayabalard
2007-08-29, 10:07 AM
not sure if that counts as a second, but I would like to third it if that is.

however, I feel that there is one point that needs to be elaborated on. If this guy in question is such a piss poor PR guy and he already has severely limited his clientelle, how the hell is he staying in business?good point...

the character can remain as is, but the establisment should probably be large enough for humans to enter and be comfortable (if a little tight), and while some of the dwarves laugh at him, most of them are probably regular customers, if only for the beer.

elliott20
2007-08-29, 10:23 AM
but that's just it, even if he allows humans in, unless for some reason he's the only one around selling beer, I can't imagine what incentive people would have for patronizing his bar.

Grug
2007-08-29, 10:24 AM
That's eactly how it is. I appreciate and accept your changes, Jay. He brews lager because the cold spring makes it easier.

The Grumpy shovel is mostly populated by the mining dwarves, who come if only for the decent drink and dwarf-centric architecture. A few humans of the shadier types also frequent the place (Grahm 'n co.?)

Children made a playground chant about the proprietor:

Targak the Dirty dwarf
went to buy a pie
mashed it up between his toes
and ate it with his eye.

Targak the dirty dwarf
caught a cold and died
was buried in a smelly bog
and not a person cried.

Oh, and his specialty is Bittercold Lager, which reminds someone of the sensation of wandering the depths of the ocean. there's also another specialty drink called the Head Whacker, and extremely Sour Lager mixed with nutty malt and a secret ingredient (Curser's secretions). The sweet and sour taste makes the drinker feel they just got hit by the hammer of happiness a half dozen times.

elliott20
2007-08-29, 10:28 AM
alright, the nursery rhyme just sold me. :smallbiggrin:

Grug
2007-08-29, 10:31 AM
You know what? Change the last verse, It's too mean.

Targak the dirty dwarf
caught a cold and died
was buried in a smelly bog
and all the Insects cried

sefiru
2007-08-29, 08:33 PM
I can totally see children chanting the first version, though. It's not a nursery rhyme so much as a schoolyard rhyme, in there with "X and Y, sitting in a tree ..." Have you ever read any of the compilations? Those things are absolutely vicious sometimes.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-31, 03:32 AM
Proposal: The rogue routinely goes into town to see what is wrong wih it.

beholder
2007-08-31, 04:49 AM
(this looks great. im going to try some proposals and see if any are picked up on)

Grahm, bored with his current escapades, decides to try something new. he uses his new hat of disguise ( i think that was seconded somewhere, if it needs a third, consider it thirded) to spread malicious rumours. his first target is Jakob Allmrind. Grahm subtly makes people question his motives at the school, spreading rumours of pedophillia. it is nearly dismissed out of hand, but seeds of suspicion are planted with the more suspicous parents. "after all, he is a bard...." they whisper.

(noone take it personally, it just seemed like something grahm might do to me. he seems to enjoy suffering of all kinds)

a leper is seen on the outsirts of town. people are scared of and angry at him. nothing is known about him exceept he carries a staff with a crossbar, apon which four crows are tied. people assume it is magical.

woc33
2007-08-31, 06:33 AM
Grahm, bored with his current escapades, decides to try something new. he uses his new hat of disguise ( i think that was seconded somewhere, if it needs a third, consider it thirded) to spread malicious rumours. his first target is Jakob Allmrind. Grahm subtly makes people question his motives at the school, spreading rumours of pedophillia. it is nearly dismissed out of hand, but seeds of suspicion are planted with the more suspicous parents. "after all, he is a bard...." they whisper.

(noone take it personally, it just seemed like something grahm might do to me. he seems to enjoy suffering of all kinds)

I'll second that.
Proposal
Someone posted about Grahm leaving the town, this seems to me like a reasonable reason for that. Grahm masses up and imposes as Jakob A. while Jakob is with Tobias. The clues lead to Grahm but there aren't enough proofs. As a result it is decided that Grahm will be banished from the town.

We'll wait a few years and bring him back a whole lot stronger, one step closer to being a BBEG.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-31, 07:32 AM
Year 16 january

Ferrox makes a lavish donation to the school, thus gaining both Allrimind favor and the favor of the common people, along with his fiendliness with the other uperclasses means that he was practicly guaranteed to become elected. For the other position it was a race between Allmrind and Billings but with Ferrox's backing Jakob got elected. That means Aust, Eckleson, Ferrox, Jakob and Tyras were in charge of the town.
Grahm in Baldur's gate managed to get a hat of disguise, using it he went back into the town and tried to use it to discredit him, knowing that if he kept it going, he's eventually be found out he leaves, to work on his life in Baldur's gate.
The town gains a mostly dwarf bar, Brim gets better trained and is ready to show the Town how powerful he got.
Tobais, former adventurer companions enter the town, with each of them doing the best for the town while they were their, along with having a feast in the keep.

Total population: 810

Joe Billings: Human Expert 8 (Innkeeper/)

Town Guard

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 25) Human Sorc 6 (left)
Brim Greenstone: (age 23) human wizard 3 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)
Marren Glimfeather Rogue 3 (Member of Grahm's Gang ) (Left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
dwarf Targak Bjorin (Rogue 3, CN

Outside of Town

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse (now has 5 rooms)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.
The grumpy shovel.

Proposal: The council proposes for tresspassing to be punnished more harshly and gets through.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-31, 07:45 AM
Proposal: Betty Billings starts having Visions of Tobton in a corrupt future where Tobias is dead and Ferrox and Allmrind are in charge (Allmrind is CE in these visions), Grahm is fighting for the safety of the town (Grahm is CG in these visions) and everything is chaos. at the end of these dreams the last thing she see's is Jakob Allmrind screaming in pain and yelling "WHAT HAVE I DONE?".

Chaotic Future

Total population: 200 living

Town Government
Kerreth Ferrox: CE Dwarven Expert 4/Adept 2/Sorcerer 10
Jakob Allmrind: CE Human Bard 10/Fighter 5
Various Undead/Demons/spawns of evil.

Freedom Fighters:
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 30s) Human Sorc 10/Fighter 6
Brim Greenstone: (age 30s) human wizard 10/ fighter 5 (Grahms Gang)
Marren Glimfeather Rogue 6/fighter 4 (Member of Grahm's Gang )
rest of living residence

Town Guard Deceased
Opposition Deceased
Forest Dwellers Deceased
Gypsy Caravan Deceased
Townspeople (most) Deceased

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep Destroyed
Hall of Torm / Market Place Destroyed
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn) Destroyed
Schoolhouse (now has 5 rooms) Destroyed
Smithy Destroyed
112 Homes Most Destroyed
5 Unoccupied homes (due to families leaving) Destroyed
Graveyard undead infested
Druid Grove in Wood of Sharp Teeth Destroyed
Caravansary Destroyed
Wanderer's hearth(inn) Destroyed
Unnamed weapons shop Destroyed
Wall around the City
New homes outside the City Wall Destroyed
Halfling Gypsy Caravan Destroyed
Fledgling Docks Destroyed
Warehouse (damaged in fire) Destroyed
Jail & Gallows Destroyed
Gold Mine Destroyed
Gem Shop Destroyed
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.
The grumpy shovel. Destroyed

internerdj
2007-08-31, 07:48 AM
Year 16 january
Tobais, former adventurer companions enter the town, with each of them doing the best for the town while they were their, along with having a feast in the keep.

This needs more meat. It was proposed (and I think seconded) early in the thread that they were delayed and an adventuring party was sent to find out why. Adventure group Hook earlier in thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3040923&postcount=104)

Proposal:
During their journey to visit Tobias they came across a town being ravaged by a 12 headed cryohydra. They saved the town but in the process lost two great companions:
Elven Sorc 11 Eldárwen Oronar
Half Orc Barbarian 9 Grog the Unstoppable
Remaining to finish the journey:
Half Elven Bard 3/Ranger 5/Arcane Archer 3 Maeglin Telemnar
Human Rogue 6/Shadowdancer 3 "White Worm"
Human Wizard 4/Cleric 2/Mystic Theurge 4 Issaic Montegall

Jayabalard
2007-08-31, 09:26 AM
This needs more meat. It was proposed (and I think seconded) early in the thread that they were delayed and an adventuring party was sent to find out why. Adventure group Hook earlier in thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3040923&postcount=104)

Proposal:
During their journey to visit Tobias they came across a town being ravaged by a 12 headed cryohydra. They saved the town but in the process lost two great companions:
Elven Sorc 11 Eldárwen Oronar
Half Orc Barbarian 9 Grog the Unstoppable
Remaining to finish the journey:
Half Elven Bard 3/Ranger 5/Arcane Archer 3 Maeglin Telemnar
Human Rogue 6/Shadowdancer 3 "White Worm"
Human Wizard 4/Cleric 2/Mystic Theurge 4 Issaic MontegallStop:

Tobias actually sending a note to his companions wasn't originally seconded as far as I can tell, which is why I brought it back up (though I did miss that hook when I was looking, so it's possible that I'm wrong)

His old companions wouldn't all still be together (they all retired too), so it doesn't make much sense that they would have been traveling together, since they're all likely coming from different places, traveling separately, and probably would be arriving at different times.

Unless they're going to be doing something in the town, and the specific details are important, his party doesn't need to be defined in that kind of detail. Names are fine, but classes should be loosely defined at best (especially PRC), since who knows what classes may be available in the game worlds where people would use this. Descriptions would be much better:

Eldárwen Oronar - Elf: master of acane magic
Grog the Unstoppable - half orc: Fierce barbarian warrior
Maeglin Telemnar - Half Elf: archer
"White Worm" - Human: a rogue, so stealthy he seems to be one with the shadows
Issaic Montegall - Human: dabbler in both arcane and divine magic

If you really want classes specified: Issaic Montegall would need to be a cleric 3 to be able to enter Mystic Theurge, wouldn't he?

lastly: this was an adventure hook, so it really shouldn't (imo) be specified why they're were delayed, or who they lost; Going with this sort of specific creature (the cryohydra) means that the whole set of events loses some of it's flexibility for DMs.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-31, 09:32 AM
Chaotic Future

Town Government

Freedom Fighters:
rest of living residence

Town Guard Deceased
Opposition Deceased
Forest Dwellers Deceased
Gypsy Caravan Deceased

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep Destroyed
Smithy Destroyed
112 Homes Most Destroyed
Caravansary Destroyed
Wall around the City
Jail & Gallows Destroyed
Gold Mine Destroyed
Gem Shop Destroyed
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.

Why mention it but their are more families than people and why did everyone get levels in fighter than the superior arcane levels.

internerdj
2007-08-31, 10:00 AM
Stop:

Tobias actually sending a note to his companions wasn't originally seconded as far as I can tell, which is why I brought it back up (though I did miss that hook when I was looking, so it's possible that I'm wrong)

The companions sent the note to him, which was seconded (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3039591&postcount=57)

His old companions wouldn't all still be together (they all retired too), so it doesn't make much sense that they would have been traveling together, since they're all likely coming from different places, traveling separately, and probably would be arriving at different times.

I don't recall seeing they had retired.

Unless they're going to be doing something in the town, and the specific details are important, his party doesn't need to be defined in that kind of detail. Names are fine, but classes should be loosely defined at best (especially PRC), since who knows what classes may be available in the game worlds where people would use this. Descriptions would be much better:

Eldárwen Oronar - Elf: master of acane magic
Grog the Unstoppable - half orc: Fierce barbarian warrior
Maeglin Telemnar - Half Elf: archer
"White Worm" - Human: a rogue, so stealthy he seems to be one with the shadows
Issaic Montegall - Human: dabbler in both arcane and divine magic

Agreed but at the pace things happen they may hang around longer than just a visit.

If you really want classes specified: Issaic Montegall would need to be a cleric 3 to be able to enter Mystic Theurge, wouldn't he?

Ooops, I misread the SRD.

lastly: this was an adventure hook, so it really shouldn't (imo) be specified why they're were delayed, or who they lost; Going with this sort of specific creature (the cryohydra) means that the whole set of events loses some of it's flexibility for DMs.
Duely noted. This may be a little narrow. However they have been delayed 15-ish years and an adventuring group has left to search for them, (IMO)we do need some kind of cannon reason that they took that long.

elliott20
2007-08-31, 11:06 AM
Proposal: Betty Billings starts having Visions of Tobton in a corrupt future where Tobias is dead and Ferrox and Allmrind are in charge (Allmrind is CE in these visions), Grahm is fighting for the safety of the town (Grahm is CG in these visions) and everything is chaos. at the end of these dreams the last thing she see's is Jakob Allmrind screaming in pain and yelling "WHAT HAVE I DONE?".

Chaotic Future

Town Government

Freedom Fighters:
rest of living residence

Town Guard Deceased
Opposition Deceased
Forest Dwellers Deceased
Gypsy Caravan Deceased

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep Destroyed
Smithy Destroyed
112 Homes Most Destroyed
Caravansary Destroyed
Wall around the City
Jail & Gallows Destroyed
Gold Mine Destroyed
Gem Shop Destroyed
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.

stop. too drastic, too much, too wierd.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-31, 11:32 AM
Second stop.

Duely noted. This may be a little narrow. However they have been delayed 15-ish years and an adventuring group has left to search for them, (IMO)we do need some kind of cannon reason that they took that long.

Actually I don't think that a 15ish year old summarry including the note was written, I'll check.

Grug
2007-08-31, 01:58 PM
Are we ready for a BIG PROPOSAL?

SUPER HUGE PROPOSAL:

This doesn't have to happen all at once:

The town gets overrun by hobgoblins/evil nation in Faerun (Thay?). They want the rich goldmine for themselves, and see it as full of slaves. Tobias is killed during the attack, as well as other high level operatives. Grahm has been banished already, and Ferrox flees to save himself. It is now ruled by Brim, who sold himself out to the army early on. His first decree is to execute Umla.

An underground resistance is formed, and eventually decide their best hope is to bring back Grahm, hoping he and his gang would have the power to help. Noone else can be called because there are fierce patrols around the area and armies won't come to help because they risk all out war. Grahm returns with some considerable power and followers. Eventually, Brim vs. Grahm happens, and Grahm wins. Whether he's reformed out in the wilderness or trues to be the lesser of 2 evils remains to be seen. Ferrox returns in hope of being in a position of power, but he is captured/executed/exiled.

bingo_bob
2007-08-31, 02:18 PM
Stop.

Much too drastic, and it ends up basically killing the thread. How else can you build from there?

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-31, 02:55 PM
Your kiiding right, you got to be.

Stop seconded.

elliott20
2007-08-31, 07:32 PM
there are holes in that suggestion

1. the mine itself was already established as only moderately successful, not wildly slow. this was established previously. Thus, it is not that great an incentive to launch an cross-kingdom assault for.

2. this city, if I remember correctly, is not THAT far from waterdeep. I don't think the powers that be would be too comfortable with Thay miltary presence so close have done nothing about it. so in order for this to work this would have to not just be an event for this town. It would have to be an event that probably effects more of Faerun than we'd think.

if you want to still run with this, you need to do several things:

1. establish a different strategic incentive. This incentive needs to be big enough that the Thay army would actually think it's worth their time conquering the place. Of course, an incentive of THAT magnitude would probably significantly change the city development first.

2. placed the event in a timeline so that it actually would fit into the faerun history seemlessly, as an event of this magnitude would HAVE to be coordinated. this city does not exist in a vacuum. something of this magnitude is surely going to effect the cities nearby, if not the entire empire.

for now, I'm going to say STOP on this as well.

Grug
2007-08-31, 08:46 PM
'Kay, just a cool Idea. I didn't say it had to be Thay, just any militant group, or even just hobgoblins.

As for now:
Something interesting floats up in the Grumpy Shovel's water supply. What is it?

elliott20
2007-08-31, 10:57 PM
'Kay, just a cool Idea. I didn't say it had to be Thay, just any militant group, or even just hobgoblins.

As for now:
Something interesting floats up in the Grumpy Shovel's water supply. What is it?
it's not a bad one. but like I said, even if it's not a nation and just some wayward group, there needs to be a greater incentive. it doesn't have to be monetary though. off the top of my head:

- a wayward warlord who recently lost control of his realm has fallen to become a brigand leader and is looking for a new base of operation. he figured this little sleepy town is perfect since it's off the radar but abundant in food

- a newly discovered resource. let's not say gold. (too cliche, plus it's already in use and it's already been established it's not THAT lucrative) let's say, some other metal like mithril. or it can be a breed of horse that is extremely rare to a nearby kingdom. or even say, a naturally grown spices with magical qualities hidden in the forest.

- maybe an old enemy of Tobias has come to pay a visit and wants to make sure anything he builds gets torn to the ground.

beholder
2007-09-01, 06:47 AM
i dont really like running the whole town, so ill make a few little proposals.

a few months after grahm leaves stories return of a caravan that was found, slaughtered. this is especially odd as all the corpses have been tied up on trees like enormous gruesome marionettes

Thrawntrooper
2007-09-01, 09:10 AM
Wow this place turns on its head very quick if you aren't paying attention.

I'd say stop to a full on invasion/occupation, however I think a small raid by a group would work better, chance to kill off some of the NPC that don't really fit all that well, plus give some of the others a new focus. I.e. if Tobais' Jacob (the paladin, last name Heckelson, don't want any confusion on that there might be a riot.) was killed in a raid, then it would give tobias a new look on life. will he take the fight up to the raiders? Or will he retreat back into his religion and maybe focus on his healing skills? Or will he lose his mind a bit and become paranoid and start building up the towns defence/miltia to the detriment of the towns finances. Plus that would mean we could say the name Jacob and not have any confusion with Prof Allmrind.

The raiders might set up a warcamp nearby in a isolated part of the valley (if we are in a valley) and create a bit more hardship for the town. This would in turn require a adventurers touch to break their reign of terror on the region.

I think that Grahm would be best served leaving the region for a few years and then coming back as a vertible force of vengence. I think he has plenty of reasons to hate the town now and it would really give him a chance to power up into something that would be very difficult to defeat. As I see it at the moment It wouldn't take much for Tobias, Umla and Gregory to put him out of action if he plays his hand to overtly, and I'm sure that he sees their powers are more powerful than his. I would think it better if he could get up to their power level and maybe come back with some kind of "forbidden/dark" magic.

I'm not sure what the chaotic future thing is about, but it might be interesting if Betty did start to go a little insane, and start to see visions of the "future". Whether they are true portents of the future from some latent mystical ability, or if she is just a few cents short of a dollar. She could retreat from the town and set up life as a mystic, or she might start to dispense her visions to the townfolk, even if they didn't want.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-03, 12:25 AM
This Thread is Dead, R.I.P. "City Build Thread"

Knight In Armor
2007-09-03, 12:28 AM
This Thread is Dead, R.I.P. "City Build Thread"

Uh, why is it dead?

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-03, 12:40 AM
Uh, why is it dead?

because it was on the bottom of second page before and I thought it needed a funeral.:annoyed:

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-03, 04:29 AM
i dont really like running the whole town, so ill make a few little proposals.

a few months after grahm leaves stories return of a caravan that was found, slaughtered. this is especially odd as all the corpses have been tied up on trees like enormous gruesome marionettes

Seconded, it is.

Satyr
2007-09-03, 09:16 AM
I'd say stop to a full on invasion/occupation, however I think a small raid by a group would work better, chance to kill off some of the NPC that don't really fit all that well, plus give some of the others a new focus. I.e. if Tobais' Jacob (the paladin, last name Heckelson, don't want any confusion on that there might be a riot.)

I just steal the idea, okay?

Proposal: Wolfswinter.
In late summer travelers spread horror stories and rumors about a cruel and cunning goblin warlord, who united several goblin (I take the goblins because they already appeared in the town's history, and I don't think it is too plausible too many different monstrous humanoids all settle cave to cave...) warbands and gangs in the region under his command. Caravans and traders are ambushed and mercenaries are hired to protect the trade routes. A mercenary guild from the near Baldur's Gate sets an Outpost in Tobton, where traveling merchants can hire an escort. There aren't many mercenaries in the town (ten or twenty at most) but they are compulsive spenders and therefore popular by the innkeepers and quite unpopular with everyone else.
In the fall, Lord Tobias leads a punitive expedition into the Goblin Ranges, as it is his duty as the lord of this land. There are no deceisive confrontations, but the goblins retreat and are less courageous afterwards.
This winter however, is unusual harsh: The River is completely frozen, the whole town of Tobton is snowed, and wolves and goblin warbands plunder the barns and lifestock of the farmers: Due to the cold winter, game is hard to find, and the goblins are faced with the decision to either raid or die from hunger. There are several skirmishes between the goblin raiders and their worg allies and the townsguard and the mercenaries. In the harsh snowed fields, the town militia suffers heavily, and has sometimes severe casualties.
Near the end of winter a deceisive battle is fought, where Sir Edward Barrington is able to slay the goblin chieftain and becomes the celebrated hero of Tobton. After the chieftain is killed, the goblin warband is scattered.
Gregory Eckson joins the ranks of the militia despite his ongoing illness and is severely injured in battle. He starts to doubt if he is still able to fulfill his role as the militia's commander.

Outcomes:
Tobton gains a mercenary outpost, with mercenary escorts who spend a lot of money, but spread some chaos and start arguments. There is only one pmercenariy who is a permanent resident of topbton: Diane Harclaw, the guild's steward in Tobton. She is more an inkeeper and administrator than a fighter and soon becomes a 'good friend' of Ferrox due to little presents and bribes. (probably a human female fighter 1-2/expert 1-2).
The town militia has suffered casualties, but a lot of the survivors can be considered as veterans. Sir Edward Barrington gains another fighter level.
In a ciold and harsh winter, there are always casualties: some of the older people of Tobton do not survive the cold weather.

Other proposal(s):
A mill: After over ten years of ongoing, offgoing tries, the construction of a watermill is finished on the riverbank. The miller is a quite unpopular man (most millers are, since they can easily exploit the farmers who are dependant from them). Due to the mill, farmers from a greater area come to Tobton to let their grain floured. The importance of Tobton as a marketplace grows.

Bumper Harvest: After the harsh winter, the fields bear a bountiful harvest. The general productivity of the fields surrounding Tobton is highly raised, and the general mood in town rises. After the harvest time, a gret feast takes place.

Sheperds and weavers: A group of the halfling comunity start to breed and raise sheep. The hills on the opposite riverbank seems as a good pasture ground for the sheep flocks, and after a few years, a little but productive weaver guild is founded. Most of the sheperds are halflings, hile most of the weavers are humans, and they get along surprisingly well for Tobton, healing some of the old woundsbetween the two communities.

Jayabalard
2007-09-03, 09:39 AM

Proposal: Wolfswinter.Seconded Except for the following

The hills on the opposite riverbank seems as a good pasture ground for the sheep flocks, and after a few years, a little but productive weaver guild is founded. Wasn't the far bank becoming the ritzy district of the town? If so, this should probably be moved to a different location.

This Thread is Dead, R.I.P. "City Build Thread"It's a three day weekend; some of the regulars aren't going to be checking this.

elliott20
2007-09-04, 09:17 AM

Proposal: Wolfswinter.
In late summer travelers spread horror stories and rumors about a cruel and cunning goblin warlord, who united several goblin (I take the goblins because they already appeared in the town's history, and I don't think it is too plausible too many different monstrous humanoids all settle cave to cave...) warbands and gangs in the region under his command. Caravans and traders are ambushed and mercenaries are hired to protect the trade routes. A mercenary guild from the near Baldur's Gate sets an Outpost in Tobton, where traveling merchants can hire an escort. There aren't many mercenaries in the town (ten or twenty at most) but they are compulsive spenders and therefore popular by the innkeepers and quite unpopular with everyone else.
In the fall, Lord Tobias leads a punitive expedition into the Goblin Ranges, as it is his duty as the lord of this land. There are no deceisive confrontations, but the goblins retreat and are less courageous afterwards.
This winter however, is unusual harsh: The River is completely frozen, the whole town of Tobton is snowed, and wolves and goblin warbands plunder the barns and lifestock of the farmers: Due to the cold winter, game is hard to find, and the goblins are faced with the decision to either raid or die from hunger. There are several skirmishes between the goblin raiders and their worg allies and the townsguard and the mercenaries. In the harsh snowed fields, the town militia suffers heavily, and has sometimes severe casualties.
Near the end of winter a deceisive battle is fought, where Sir Edward Barrington is able to slay the goblin chieftain and becomes the celebrated hero of Tobton. After the chieftain is killed, the goblin warband is scattered.
Gregory Eckson joins the ranks of the militia despite his ongoing illness and is severely injured in battle. He starts to doubt if he is still able to fulfill his role as the militia's commander.

Outcomes:
Tobton gains a mercenary outpost, with mercenary escorts who spend a lot of money, but spread some chaos and start arguments. There is only one pmercenariy who is a permanent resident of topbton: Diane Harclaw, the guild's steward in Tobton. She is more an inkeeper and administrator than a fighter and soon becomes a 'good friend' of Ferrox due to little presents and bribes. (probably a human female fighter 1-2/expert 1-2).
The town militia has suffered casualties, but a lot of the survivors can be considered as veterans. Sir Edward Barrington gains another fighter level.
In a ciold and harsh winter, there are always casualties: some of the older people of Tobton do not survive the cold weather.

Other proposal(s):
A mill: After over ten years of ongoing, offgoing tries, the construction of a watermill is finished on the riverbank. The miller is a quite unpopular man (most millers are, since they can easily exploit the farmers who are dependant from them). Due to the mill, farmers from a greater area come to Tobton to let their grain floured. The importance of Tobton as a marketplace grows.

Bumper Harvest: After the harsh winter, the fields bear a bountiful harvest. The general productivity of the fields surrounding Tobton is highly raised, and the general mood in town rises. After the harvest time, a gret feast takes place.

Sheperds and weavers: A group of the halfling comunity start to breed and raise sheep. The hills on the opposite riverbank seems as a good pasture ground for the sheep flocks, and after a few years, a little but productive weaver guild is founded. Most of the sheperds are halflings, hile most of the weavers are humans, and they get along surprisingly well for Tobton, healing some of the old woundsbetween the two communities.
This version of the invasion/occupation/raid I like far better.

Though, one little thing I want to bring up first. I think the original goblin horde was found through the mine shaft that leads to Underdark.

puppyavenger
2007-09-04, 09:25 AM
This version of the invasion/occupation/raid I like far better.

Though, one little thing I want to bring up first. I think the original goblin horde was found through the mine shaft that leads to Underdark.

so no more kobolds?

elliott20
2007-09-04, 09:26 AM
wait, was it kobolds? I honestly can't remember anymore. in any case, we already have established a source of where this threat could come from. I say we use it if we're going to do something like this.

Satyr
2007-09-04, 12:45 PM
In the very begibning, a goblin thread is menttioned and was the reason to build the first wall around the settlement.

Year Four
Early in the year, a warband of goblins mounted on wolves raids the growing settlement. Several people are killed, including the parents of Grahm Nickelson, but Gregory and Aust Umla respond quickly and drive the goblins away before they do much damage.

That was years and years before the mine was founded. I just took the same goblins, this time better organised, as a threat for the town.

And, I don't know know much about raising sheep, but I thought that the pasture grunds for large sheepp flocks are quite spacious and not necessary in inmediate neighbourhood to the selltement; Bringing the sheperds and weavers to the other sinde of the river would boost the growth of this quartier. For example, the shops and guild of the soon-to-be wealthy weavers could be located there.

internerdj
2007-09-04, 12:58 PM
And, I don't know know much about raising sheep, but I thought that the pasture grunds for large sheepp flocks are quite spacious and not necessary in inmediate neighbourhood to the selltement; Bringing the sheperds and weavers to the other sinde of the river would boost the growth of this quartier. For example, the shops and guild of the soon-to-be wealthy weavers could be located there.

It was my understanding the forest was on the other side of the river. I see that as two problems, one a lack of good grazing material and two a good hiding place for predators. The weavers might locate across the river, but it would be more likely for them to be near the sheep. Although their homes might be separate from their places of work if their trade is lucrative enough.

Hook: (evil) One of the local farmers has been very prosperous with his crops and decides to begin growing cotton. He needs cheap labor to separate the cotton. After finding little help decides to hire adventurers to go out into the world and bring back weak, easily-controlled sentient beings to enslave. He also begins building a house on the far end of his fields to separate himself from town, so that it will be difficult for people to find out about his new labor service.

Hook: (good) One of the local farmers after striking it rich with several years of great production has begun to grow cotton. He has relocated to a larger house further away from town. A few of his neighbors have begun to worry about him, because at night strange sounds can be heard coming from his new domicile.

Satyr
2007-09-04, 07:22 PM
Hook: (evil) One of the local farmers has been very prosperous with his crops and decides to begin growing cotton. He needs cheap labor to separate the cotton. After finding little help decides to hire adventurers to go out into the world and bring back weak, easily-controlled sentient beings to enslave. He also begins building a house on the far end of his fields to separate himself from town, so that it will be difficult for people to find out about his new labor service.

Stop. Neither do I think that coton wool plantations fit well into a somewhat medieval background with moderate climate, nor do I think that HIDING a work force of slaves big enough to be profitable is ridiculous. Even without any means of supernatural perception.

Hook: (good) One of the local farmers after striking it rich with several years of great production has begun to grow cotton. He has relocated to a larger house further away from town. A few of his neighbors have begun to worry about him, because at night strange sounds can be heard coming from his new domicile.

This is better ( except the cotton part, but perhaps that's just me who is to inflexible to wrap around that concept), I have even n ideas what the farmers is doing: he is breeeding ankhegs. Ankhegs can improve the productivity of farmland, but are highly dangerous. Now, this is a dilemma: What to do about the beasts which make your crops flourish, but eat your cats (and children)?
(The obvious answer is: Go ask the druid, but I'm not so sure that the townsfolk have that idea.)

sefiru
2007-09-05, 12:52 AM
This is better ( except the cotton part, but perhaps that's just me who is to inflexible to wrap around that concept), I have even n ideas what the farmers is doing: he is breeeding ankhegs. Ankhegs can improve the productivity of farmland, but are highly dangerous. Now, this is a dilemma: What to do about the beasts which make your crops flourish, but eat your cats (and children)?
(The obvious answer is: Go ask the druid, but I'm not so sure that the townsfolk have that idea.)

How about making it linen, not cotton? Fits the setting better, high value texile crop, and without the slavery connections.

I think, second the ankhegs. It provides a different kind of challenge for adventurers and one that's not actually evil. We might want to put them a bit farther away from town though.

internerdj
2007-09-05, 07:50 AM
How about making it linen, not cotton? Fits the setting better, high value texile crop, and without the slavery connections.

I think, second the ankhegs. It provides a different kind of challenge for adventurers and one that's not actually evil. We might want to put them a bit farther away from town though.
compromise seconded
linen with ankhegs.

Jayabalard
2007-09-05, 09:09 AM
We might want to put them a bit farther away from town though.Agreed

Farming communities don't have all of thier houses fit neatly inside a town wall; most farmers are going to be living outside of the town walls

AKA_Bait
2007-09-05, 09:18 AM
Ok, we are on page 14 of this thread which is becoming a bit cumbersome. I have posted an update on the brand spaking new:

Build a City Thread II! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3147800#post3147800)

Let's continue our, not so little anymore, town's future over there.