PDA

View Full Version : Build a City thread.

Pages : [1] 2

kkortekaas
2007-08-13, 11:49 AM
I'm totally stealing this from a similiar Wizards Forum post, and attempting to re-create it here on the General RPG forum page (it didn't work so well in the Homebrew boards.)

The premise is to let the posters create a town bit by bit using the D&D rules so that eventually a truly organic city would be made. One that actually felt like a town bred in a land of magic rather than a medieval European hamlet thrust into a world it didn't belong in. I'd also like to attempt to squeeze it into the Forgotten Realms, as I feel this would be a create "stop-over"

My intention in this thread is to repeat what was done but with a little more planning for the long term. Essentially I have created a short series of simple rules designed to stop -this- town from becoming a haven of villainy and undeath, while still preserving the average posters ability to write and create imaginatively. So, here's how the thread works-

Each poster (that wishes to) may post a "Chronicle". An account of the activities and the going's on of the town and it's members. A "Chronicle" typically covers between a 1 month and a 3 month period but they may be longer under some circumstances. You may make anything occur that you wish but please obey the following guidelines before chronicling.

THE 3 RULES
1) No artifacts. Artifacts are unbelievably rare in the DnD universe. Most adventurers will go their entire careers without ever seeing one.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT: Bob buys a periapt of wisdom from the mage
EXAMPLE-WRONG- Bob kills the evil mage and pries the Sword of Kas from his dead hands

2) Major events (zombie invasions, dragon razings, disintegration of major characters) should be proposed, rather than enacted. You would post a "proposition" at the end of your post if you wanted to do something huge with a rough outline of what you wanted to happen. The NEXT poster would then be able to decide if they thought your major even was truly warranted. Thusly for any event to occur it would have to be seconded, which would hopefully severely reduce (if not eliminate) the need to debate canon.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT: "Proposition" I think it would be interesting for Bobville to be raided by a squad of Hobgoblins
EXAMPLE-WRONG: Bobville is raided by Hobgoblins and dozens die in the ensuing melee. Also, everyone is now a Vampire.

3) Any poster may preceed the body of his post with the word "STOP". This means that he has taken serious issue with some event posted in the last chronicle. Further posts should not be made directly chronicling the town's events until the issue has been decided as either canon or non-canon. Without my posting an event can be considered "decided" if three consecutive posts are made in agreement as to whether or not the event is canon excluding the original poster of the event.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT:
Poster 1: Everyone is now a Vampire
Poster 2: STOP. That is ridiculous
Poster 3: I agree. The vampire thing is stupid as hell.
Poster 4: I agree. And thats three of us so it's out. Next person can chronicle without it.

EXAMPLE-WRONG:
Poster 1: Everyone is now a Vampire
Poster 2: STOP. That is Ridiculous.
Poster 1 again: VAMPIRES ROCK IT's CANON!
Poster 1 again: It's Canon!
Poster 1 again: It's Canon!
Poster 1 again: OK. Now that everyone's a Vampire........

Ok! You can get posting. Those are the only rules. However there were a few things which led to difficulties in the last thread. And while they're not against the "rules" I would like to make note of them all the same. If you just plan on posting once or twice you don't need to know them. But if you plan on being a regular contributor to this thread then at least give them a glance.

ON SPECIFIC CHARACTERS
Ok. Here's the thing. D&D is about PC's. It just is. However this thread here is not. If you plan on adding a character you made to the town then problems arise. You see if you spend a few hours making a character you have already invested effort into him. You feel some sense of ownership to him and that means you want to -control- him. The problem is that if you control an NPC he is no longer an NPC, he's a a PC. This thread is about letting as many people as possible input their ideas and use them to shape the City at large, and if you have a character that you don't want others to control then the thread stops being about Building a City and becomes about your character. If you ever make a character, item, group, or event that you consider to be specifically -yours- then it is likely that you have done something that is not conducive to the continuation of this thread.

EXAMPLE-RIGHT: I think the town needs an experienced Blacksmith. I'll make a 5th level Expert move in this season, I'll say he's a dwarf.
EXAMPLE-WRONG: I want to make a town Blacksmith. I'll make Gart Stonenose the 9th level former rogue retiree. He'll be a level 2 Fighter/Level 5 Rogue/Level 2 Dwarf Paragon* and he'll have only one eye.
*As a note multiclassing characters in general is bad. If you want to make a PC that's fine but there's nothing you can do with a Swashbuckler 2/Elven Paragon 3/Fighter 1 that you can't do with a 6th level Fighter

ON ALL CHARACTERS
How many stuntmen do you know? How about professional bastketball players? How about astronauts, celebrities, CIA agents, Rap stars, or SWAT commanders? The answer is probably "not a lot" and the reason I ask is to give you an idea of the general rarity of PC's in the world. You see in the D20 system the above mentioned people are the folks you play as PC's and in the D&D system "Adventurers" are no more common. As such while it's perfectly acceptable to have people with PC classes move into the town they should not generally be more than 2% of the population. Most should be NPC classes of the appropriate type and when PC's DO come into town they should generally be of the 1st-5th level kind. An arrival of a 10th level PC into town would be like if Ludacris bought a house down the street from you. It's rare.

ON MAJOR EVENTS
Above I said that "Major Events" should be proposed rather than enacted so I've complied a quick list of Major Events that can be used as guidelines. These are to be used with common sense so if your Satyr invasion only kills 4% of the population then It's still probably not that cool to just do it.

-Any event that kills 5% of the population or more (Zombie invasion)
-The introduction of an individual of equal or higher level than the highest level person in town (King arrives in town)
-The introduction of a "Character" (The Wizard Zell arives in town)
-The introduction of a group or organization (A member of the "Black Thieves Guild" arrives in town)
-Any event which irrevocably changes the way the town will function for the foreseeable future (The Wizard Zell builds an enormous Magic Academy)
-The death or permanent altering of any "Character" in town (The Wizard Zell gets disintegrated in a duel)
-The introduction of any monster or group of monsters which cannot be reasonably defeated by the town (A Black Dragon takes up residence in the nearby hills)

And there we are. I'll start things off in the next post

kkortekaas
2007-08-13, 11:50 AM
-PRELUDE-
Tobias Frostleaf (Half-Elf Paladin of Torm 10) travelled with his group "The Frostleaf Five" for many years, having many grand victories and crushing defeats. It was after one of these defeats that Tobias decided to retire from his adventuring career and "settle down". He big his companions farewell and spent some of his "nest egg" of adventurer money refurbishing the small keep and purchasing a "Lyre of Building". Looking out at the surrounding land he saw forests, a river, and much farm-ready soil. Drawn by tales of his heroic deeds, a small group of initial families moved from nearby Baulders Gate to inhabit his land. Tobias had a daunting task set before him, he would have to protect his people to ensure the future success of the town on his own.
-END PRELUDE-

The Keep Tobias purchased lies along the River Chionthar, on the edge of the Wood of Sharp Teeth near Baulder's Gate.

YEAR 1, 1st half
A small number of commoners trickled in to take up residence in the land surrounding his keep. And Tobias soon realized he'd need a name for his fledgling city. Tobias constructed homes peasantry using his lyre and any that arrived in the week interum before it's "recharge" he would allow to stay with him. By the end of six months 8 families had moved in totalling 22 people and as the good weather continued crops were able to be sown and even some stored in the "Grainhouse" that Gregory added on to his keep. It appeared as if things were progressing nicely.

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 23
Families- 8
Characters- Gregory Eckson (10th Fighter)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
8 Homes

Proposition
- The town needs a name, but I'll leave it up to someone else.
- I'd imagine Tobias would want to build a shrine or temple of Torm and draw followers of that faith to his side.

Matthew
2007-08-14, 01:28 AM
So, how does this relate to your Building a Town in the Forgotten Realms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53388) Thread?

Jimp
2007-08-14, 06:50 AM
I really don't get the point of this thread. Is it meant to be a resource where we can give ideas for cities or a pseudo management game where we run an imaginary town?
Could you explain what you want from this thread more clearly please?

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-14, 07:08 AM
I really don't get the point of this thread. Is it meant to be a resource where we can give ideas for cities or a pseudo management game where we run an imaginary town?
Could you explain what you want from this thread more clearly please?

He's probably making a town for the Forgotten Realms near Baulder's gate so he can make it an Un-official Resource.

DraPrime
2007-08-14, 08:49 AM
Shouldn't this be in the homebrew forums?

kkortekaas
2007-08-14, 10:09 AM
Essentially I wasn't getting many responses in the Homebrew boards, so I brought it over here. The purpose of it is to organically create a town that we can all use in our campaigns as a living breathing place. Just give it a go, it really is quite cool.

internerdj
2007-08-14, 10:34 AM
Everyone is now a vampire?

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 10:52 AM
Why not?

Year 1, second half

The town having not yet been invaded by orcs or it's population sacrificed to some dark god a entrepreneurial family from Baulders Gate moves to the town near the keep and establishes a roadside inn called "Frostleaf's Rest".

The family:
Joe Billings: Expert 6
Linda Billings: Expert 3
Betty & Jim Billings (children): Commoner 1

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 27
Families- 9
Characters- Gregory Eckson (10th Fighter)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
8 Homes

cody.burton
2007-08-14, 10:52 AM
Ok, I'll start.

Proposition: For the first few years, the town did not need any industry. The farming provided enough food and between side projects by the peasantry, the lyre of building, and generous fabricate spells by Aust Umla (Human sorcerer 10), all other goods were provided for.

Edit: ninja'd

So my post is Second Year, First Half, and has one more character: Aust Umla, Human Sorcerer 10

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 10:57 AM
Ok, I'll start.

Proposition: For the first few years, the town did not need any industry. The farming provided enough food and between side projects by the peasantry, the lyre of building, and generous fabricate spells by Aust Umla (Human sorcerer 10), all other goods were provided for.

So my post is Second Year, First Half, and has one more character: Aust Umla, Human Sorcerer 10

Seconded. This is just filler to have enough characters.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 11:00 AM
c'mon people, let's try not to be a stick in the mud about this. This could be fun!

having said that though, kkortekaas, you might want to clarify the format you want this in as your original post is kind of fuzzy as to how you want this. I also propose that instead of recreating the list each time in each new post, we simply just say, "New buildings" or "new characters". etc.

none the less, I'm going to give it a go.

The Keep Tobias purchased lies along the River Chionthar, on the edge of the Wood of Sharp Teeth near Baulder's Gate.

YEAR 2, 2nd half
Having a small number of people slowly beginning to populate the area, the denizens felt the need to create a place for people to congregate, meet, and perhaps trade goods. Tobias, having previously created a hall of worship for Torm, has also allowed people to use his space to worship other patron dieties as well as long as the construction of the shrine is cleared with him first. (thus, while worshippers of say, Ilmater are welcome to create a shrine here, Vecna worshippers are definitely not going to be welcomed here) This hall, after some time, became the natural place for people to gather and trade when it is not occupied with religious events.

Thus the first market place of Graderial was created.

Graderial
TOTAL POPULATION - 34
Families- 12
New Characters- J'red Darrh (expert 2 / wiz 1), a craftsman who after realizing his lack of potential for wizardry, gave up advancing his career as a wizard and became an everyday craftsman, utilizing his low level magic as an aid to craft.

NEW BUILDINGS-
Hall of Torm / Market Place
several Homes

Proposition
- The town name: Graderial?
- The creations of a market place
- The addition of the first possible magic user NPC. However, he's pretty low level as to be more of just a "texture" NPC than an actually useful one for the PCs.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 11:03 AM
Ok, I'll start.

seconded
This is just filler to have enough characters.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 11:05 AM
c'mon people, let's try not to be a stick in the mud about this. This could be fun!

having said that though, kkortekaas, you might want to clarify the format you want this in as your original post is kind of fuzzy as to how you want this.

none the less, I'm going to give it a go.

YEAR 2, 1st half
Having a small number of people slowly beginning to populate the area, the denizens felt the need to create a place for people to congregate, meet, and perhaps trade goods. Tobias, having previously created a hall of worship for Torm, has also allowed people to use his space to worship other patron dieties as well as long as the construction of the shrine is cleared with him first. (thus, while worshippers of say, Ilmater are welcome to create a shrine here, Vecna worshippers are definitely not going to be welcomed here) This hall, after some time, became the natural place for people to gather and trade when it is not occupied with religious events.

Thus the first market place of Graderial was created.

Graderial
TOTAL POPULATION - 34
Families- 12
New Characters- J'red Darrh (expert 2 / wiz 1), a craftsman who after realizing his lack of potential for wizardry, gave up advancing his career as a wizard and became an everyday craftsman, utilizing his low level magic as an aid to craft.

NEW BUILDINGS-
several Homes

Proposition
- The town name: Graderial?
- The creations of a market place
- The addition of the first possible magic user NPC. However, he's pretty low level as to be more of just a "texture" NPC than an actually useful one for the PCs.

I second everything but the town name. I think it should probably be around longer and have more residents before it has a settled name.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 11:08 AM
hmm... I agree with you there after some thought. very well. Strike the name.

also, we might want to have a procedure so that should people ninja each other, we know how to resolve each individual piece.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 11:16 AM
also, we might want to have a procedure so that should people ninja each other, we know how to resolve each individual piece.

Good call. How's this?

Ninjaing Rule:
1. When seconding, always quote which post your are seconding.
2. If you are ninja'd a) edit to be the next half year period or b) it will be assumed to be going on during the same time period as the ninjing post.
3. In the case that the two (or more) events are mutually exclusive and not requiring seconding (minor changes) they will all now require a second. The first one to be seconded by 2 posters will be adopted.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 11:51 AM
1. this is a good one. it will help keep things coherent
2. I like option B better, since this way it will require less work
3. feeding into 2, in case there is a conflict, the first to be seconded will be taken as canon. that works for me.

in addition, I think kkorketaas should regularly update the first post in this thread to include the latest information. This way, when this thread balloons out with information, we won't have to hunt through 17 pages worth of commoners just to find the one guy we're looking for.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 12:11 PM
1. this is a good one. it will help keep things coherent
2. I like option B better, since this way it will require less work
3. feeding into 2, in case there is a conflict, the first to be seconded will be taken as canon. that works for me.

in addition, I think kkorketaas should regularly update the first post in this thread to include the latest information. This way, when this thread balloons out with information, we won't have to hunt through 17 pages worth of commoners just to find the one guy we're looking for.

On 2, I prefer that as well, but I figure that it makes sense to let the poster, who presumbably noticed they got ninja'd, move it to a diffrent time if they don't want it happening simultaneously.

And yes, the first one should regularly be updated to state the current state of the town. Ideally, he would have put his first town building post on the second post of the thread but c'est la vie.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 12:15 PM
well, yeah, if the second poster wants to change his post, that should be permissable as well.

Attilargh
2007-08-14, 12:41 PM
Y'know, the city by the river Chiontar is Baldur's Gate, after the hero Balduran.

I have a few ideas, but not the time to post 'em. See you tomorrow.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 01:01 PM
A little more, and general update because why not?

Year 3, Second Half
The relative saftey of the town, inn, marketplace and proximity to Baldur's Gate has led more travelers to pass through and the population to increase by another 10 families. The growing number of children in the town has created a need for a rudimentary school during the winter months when then children are not helping their parents in the fields. A delegation, three people, was sent to Baldur's gate to attempt to convice a teacher to run the school. In the interm a small one room school house was constructed with the help of Aust Umla. In addition, the growing population has, naturally, resulted in some neighborly squabbles and the town has agreed to elect a sheriff/judge to adjudicate such disputes.

New Characters:
Jenna Hornthrush- Human Expert 3 (Teacher)
Filip Brown- Human Commoner 2 / Warrior 1

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 80
Families- 22

Existing Characters
Gregory Eckson: ? Fighter 10
Joe Billings: Human Expert 6
Linda Billings: Human Expert 3
Betty & Jim Billings (children): Human Commoner 1
J'red Darrh: ? Expert 2 / wiz 1
Aust Umla: ? Sorcerer 10

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse
15 Homes

Proposition:
One of the older kids is a bit deranged and has strange powers. Creation of an NPC Sorcerer to, eventually, be a threat to PC's that come through town.

Proposed NPC:
Grahm Nickelson (current age 14) Human Sorc 1

cody.burton
2007-08-14, 01:13 PM
Proposition:
One of the older kids is a bit deranged and has strange powers. Creation of an NPC Sorcerer to, eventually, be a threat to PC's that come through town.

Proposed NPC:

Seconded, provided that he does not immediately become a malevolent force. It would be much better for him to be taken in by one of the other magic users and have a build-up of several years (maybe more) before Grahm becomes out-and-out deranged.

Also, about races: It was founded by a half-elf, and everyone else with a definite race is human, so far. What do we want the demographics to look like? I don't know what the Baldur's Gate demographics are, so I bow to everyone else's superior knowledge.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 01:17 PM
Seconded, provided that he does not immediately become a malevolent force. It would be much better for him to be taken in by one of the other magic users and have a build-up of several years (maybe more) before Grahm becomes out-and-out deranged.

Exactly what I had in mind. For now, he's just weird. Likes throwing rocks at cats too much. That sort of thing.

Also, about races: It was founded by a half-elf, and everyone else with a definite race is human, so far. What do we want the demographics to look like? I don't know what the Baldur's Gate demographics are, so I bow to everyone else's superior knowledge.

Same here. The one's I've plopped in are all human just because humans are typically the most common. I don't know BG demographics either.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 01:41 PM
Proposition:

Proposed NPC:
Seconded.

I propose that this kid also have another strange quirk that makes him a bit of a social outcast. He doesn't have to have anything too obvious that gets him ostricized and exiled from the village. But rather, something small, like perhaps his mannerisms are unnatural, reclusive, and strangely fascinated with one of his visual senses like say, an obsession for the color blue.

Runolfr
2007-08-14, 02:13 PM
Year Four

Early in the year, a warband of goblins mounted on wolves raids the growing settlement. Several people are killed, including the parents of Grahm Nickelson, but Gregory and Aust Umla respond quickly and drive the goblins away before they do much damage. The grain stores remain secure, but outlying cotters have lost livestock and the Nickelson home was destroyed; the people will have rather boring rations for the remainder of the winter. Aust Umla takes the orphaned Grahm Nickelson as an apprentice. There is a bit of grumbling about setting up a proper guard system.

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 73
Families- 22

Existing Characters

BUILDINGS
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse
14 Homes

Yeril
2007-08-14, 02:17 PM
NPC Proposition;

A dwarf named Oskar Holderhiem takes place as a town Blacksmith, Living with his wife, Glidda and his son Frederik.

Oksar's Character sheet
Oskar Holderhiem
Dwarf Expert 3
Hitdice; 3d6+3 (13)
Initiative; -1
Speed; 20ft
Ac; 9 ( -1 dex)
Base attack; +2
Grapple; +3
Attack;
Smithing Hammer (Improvised light hammer) -1 melee (1d4+1/ X2)
or
Family Axe +4 melee (1d10+1/X3)

Saves; Fort +2, Reflex; +0, Will, +3
Abilities; Strength 12, Dexterity 9, Constitution 13, Intelligence 11, Wisdom 11, Charisma 8
Skills; Appraise +6, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +11, Craft (Armor smithing) +8, Craft (Ironsmithing) +8, Knowledge History +6, Proffession (Blacksmith) +9
Feats; Skill focus (Craft, Weaponsmithing) Skill focus (Proffesion, BlackSmithing)

Items;
Masterwork Armor Smithing tools
Masterwork Weapon Smithing tools
Masterwork Iron Smithing tools
Family Axe (A Masterwork Waraxe)

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 02:26 PM
NPC Proposition;

A dwarf named Oskar Holderhiem takes place as a town Blacksmith, Living with his wife, Glidda and his son Frederik.

Oksar's Character sheet
Oskar Holderhiem
Dwarf Expert 3
Hitdice; 3d6+3 (13)
Initiative; -1
Speed; 20ft
Ac; 9 ( -1 dex)
Base attack; +2
Grapple; +3
Attack;
Smithing Hammer (Improvised light hammer) -1 melee (1d4+1/ X2)
or
Family Axe +4 melee (1d10+1/X3)

Saves; Fort +2, Reflex; +0, Will, +3
Abilities; Strength 12, Dexterity 9, Constitution 13, Intelligence 11, Wisdom 11, Charisma 8
Skills; Appraise +6, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +11, Craft (Armor smithing) +8, Craft (Ironsmithing) +8, Knowledge History +6, Proffession (Blacksmith) +9
Feats; Skill focus (Craft, Weaponsmithing) Skill focus (Proffesion, BlackSmithing)

Items;
Masterwork Armor Smithing tools
Masterwork Weapon Smithing tools
Masterwork Iron Smithing tools
Family Axe (A Masterwork Waraxe)

Second

Year Four

Early in the year, a warband of goblins mounted on wolves raids the growing settlement. Several people are killed, including the parents of Grahm Nickelson, but Gregory and Aust Umla respond quickly and drive the goblins away before they do much damage. The grain stores remain secure, but outlying cotters have lost livestock and the Nickelson home was destroyed; the people will have rather boring rations for the remainder of the winter. Aust Umla takes the orphaned Grahm Nickelson as an apprentice. There is a bit of grumbling about setting up a proper guard system.

Second

internerdj
2007-08-14, 02:31 PM
Potential adventure hook.

Proposition: The delegation managed to convince a teacher to come to the hamlet, however due to prior commitments he was unable to return with the delegation and agreed to return late in year 4 for a small retainer fee. However as of mid winter he has not arrived.

elliott20
2007-08-14, 02:33 PM
second all details posted thus far

Year 5

Over the course of the past year, the villagers begin to train some of the able-bodied men during the winter when the harvest is over. These peasants receive some rudimentary training with Gregory and have attained a basic grasp of combat. Effectively, they become a small peasant militia force that is equiped with crudely made spears.

Gregory is given the position of sheriff and was asked to manage the militia forces.

summary
- gregory is appointed sheriff
- some of the 73 people level to warrior 1.
- addition of a supply of simple arms such as spears and shields.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 02:54 PM
Year 6
The establishment of a militia has increased the flow of trade through the town. Carts to and from Baldur's gate are more plentiful and frequent, given the local blacksmith's ability to shoe horses passing through. The marketplace begins to have similiar goods available to what could be aquired at Baldur's gate from the passing caravans. This increased trade and security spurs several more families to move in. More people living and passing through does mean one morbid thing: more bodies as people die of old age, disease, or are killed in travel.

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 120 (25 are warriors)

Families- 35

Existing Characters
Gregory Eckson: ? Fighter 10 (Sheriff)
Joe Billings: Human Expert 6 (Innkeeper)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 3 (Inkeeper's Wife)
Betty & Jim Billings (children): Human Commoner 1 (Inkeepers Kids)
J'red Darrh: ? Expert 2 / wiz 1 (General Craftsman)
Aust Umla: ? Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer)
Grahm Nickelson (current age 15) Human Sorc 1 (Ulma's Apprentice)
Oskar Holderhiem: Dwarf Expert 3 (Blacksmith)
Glidda Holderhiem: (Oskar's wife)
Frederik Holderhiem: (Oskar's Son)

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse
Smithy
33 Homes

Proposition:
1. The Town adds a graveyard.
2. Grahm advances to Level 2

Runolfr
2007-08-14, 02:59 PM
Proposition:
1. The Town adds a graveyard.
2. Grahm advances to Level 2

Both seconded

cody.burton
2007-08-14, 03:26 PM
Proposition:

Year 6, Second Half

Garth Rek (Human Expert 3) is sent by the church of Torm to be the resident preacher for the yet-unnamed town. He finds the lack of overt religious expression disturbing and begins pushing for mandatory bi-weekly religious services to Torm, in addition to devotions to any other deity that a resident wants to make on their own time. Tobias had been much more lax about faith, allowing residents to worship as they wished, as long as they did not venerate evil deities. Most people side with Tobias, but a significant minority support Garth's goals.

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 140 (30 are warriors)

Families- 37

Existing Characters
Gregory Eckson: Human Fighter 10 (Sheriff)
J'red Darrh: Half-elf Expert 2 / wiz 1 (General Craftsman)
Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer)
Grahm Nickelson (current age 15) Human Sorc 1 (Ulma's Apprentice)
Garth Rek: Human Expert 3 (Preacher of Torm)

BUILDINGS
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse
Smithy
35 Homes

internerdj
2007-08-14, 03:40 PM
Year 7, Early
The increase of trade and growth of the hamlet has attracted the attention of various faiths. Also having arrived on the heels of the new representative of Torm are a shrewd cleric of Waukeen who seeks to use the growing economy to rise through the priesthood, and a priest of Cyric disguised as a merchant of finer metals who is attempting to weasel his way into a political position in the town.

Also of note an elven druid has taken up habitation in the Woods of Sharp Teeth near the edge of town and is keeping an eye on the encroachment of the growing town. Noone has been able to contact him to obtain his name or purpose.

Proposed New Characters-
Balregard Kalthorn LE Human Expert 2/Cleric 2 (Cyric)
William Funquist CN Halfling Expert 2/Adept 1 (Waukeen)
CG Elven Druid 1

Proposed Buildings-
Balregard's Precious Metals
Funquist's Tradehouse

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 03:49 PM
Proposition:

Year 6, Second Half

Garth Rek (Human Expert 3) is sent by the church of Torm to be the resident preacher for the yet-unnamed town. He finds the lack of overt religious expression disturbing and begins pushing for mandatory bi-weekly religious services to Torm, in addition to devotions to any other deity that a resident wants to make on their own time. Tobias had been much more lax about faith, allowing residents to worship as they wished, as long as they did not venerate evil deities. Most people side with Tobias, but a significant minority support Garth's goals.

Seconded

Also of note an elven druid has taken up habitation in the Woods of Sharp Teeth near the edge of town and is keeping an eye on the encroachment of the growing town. Noone has been able to contact him to obtain his name or purpose.

Seconded.

The two sets of preachers, and other clerics arriving seem to conflict. Good thing about those rules.

Update:
Year 7

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 140 (30 are warriors)

Families- 37

Existing Characters
Gregory Eckson: Human Fighter 10 (Sheriff)
J'red Darrh: Half-elf Expert 2 / wiz 1 (General Craftsman)
Grahm Nickelson (current age 16) Human Sorc 2 (Ulma's Apprentice)
Garth Rek: Human Expert 3 (Preacher of Torm)
??? CG Elven Druid 1

BUILDINGS
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse
Smithy
35 Homes
Graveyard
Druid Grove in Wood of Sharp Teeth

internerdj
2007-08-14, 03:55 PM
Adventure hook:

Year 7 spring
Bandits begin raiding merchants between Baldur's gate and (as yet unnamed) Hamlet. Although not frequent, they seem to be particularly targeting shipments of iron or steel.

Runolfr
2007-08-14, 04:50 PM
Proposition:

Year 6, Second Half

I would suggest making Garth an Adept, if not actually a Cleric.

Runolfr
2007-08-14, 04:53 PM

Proposed New Characters-
CG Elven Druid 1

Umm... shouldn't a Druid be NG or CN? CN may be better if you want a more "militant" druid who can become an antagonist.

internerdj
2007-08-14, 04:56 PM
Umm... shouldn't a Druid be NG or CN? CN may be better if you want a more "militant" druid who can become an antagonist.
Very true. I haven't run a game in a while so I'm a little rusty on some of the specifics. I'd point him more towards TN at this point. He is just an observer there to protect the forest, not an antagonist but not a beneficial watcher over the community either.

puppyavenger
2007-08-14, 06:09 PM
Why is tobais never listed as a charector or mentioned?

UserClone
2007-08-14, 10:32 PM
It is odd to me that a town, even a hamlet, which has managed to survive for more than 1/2 a decade, might not be named. Also, I second the ? on what happened to Tobias Frostleaf. Therefore, proposal:
The town council (the three chosen) with the sheriff presiding, decide to call their home Tobton, a shortened version of "Tobias's Town," in honor of its founder. There is a humble ceremony, followed by a festival, including dance, feast, prayer, and an athletic competition of some sort. The day is thereafter declared a minor local holiday.

Inyssius Tor
2007-08-14, 10:38 PM
I'll second that, and mini-propose that it takes place during the 1st half of the year (in case something important happens on that day).

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-14, 11:02 PM
Seconded
Year 7 first quarter

A tiefling mercenary comes to town and notices that even though it's on the same river as a major city the city doesn't have a port seeing an opportunity to make money he asks permission to build a port and start a boat service company company, While the gov't debates he applies for a job in the militia

Proposed: Build a port and boat service company (if anyone knows what that's called i'd like to know.
new npc Lawful Evil tiefling Marshal 2 joins militia

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-14, 11:12 PM
Year 3, Second Half
The relative saftey of the town, inn, marketplace and proximity to Baldur's Gate has led more travelers to pass through and the population to increase by another 10 families. The growing number of children in the town has created a need for a rudimentary school during the winter months when then children are not helping their parents in the fields. A delegation, three people, was sent to Baldur's gate to attempt to convice a teacher to run the school. In the interm a small one room school house was constructed with the help of Aust Umla. In addition, the growing population has, naturally, resulted in some neighborly squabbles and the town has agreed to elect a sheriff/judge to adjudicate such disputes.

New Characters:

Un-Named Hamlet
TOTAL POPULATION - 80
Families- 22

Existing Characters

BUILDINGS-
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse
15 Homes

Proposition:

Proposed NPC:

Seconded, a Deranged kid could be part of a HUGE plot in the town.

Generic PC
2007-08-14, 11:30 PM
A tiefling mercenary comes to town and notices that even though it's on the same river as a major city the city doesn't have a port seeing an opportunity to make money he asks permission to build a port and start a boat service company company, While the gov't debates he applies for a job in the militia

Proposed: Build a port and boat service company (if anyone knows what that's called i'd like to know.
new npc Lawful Evil tiefling Marshal 2 joins militia

Seconded

It is odd to me that a town, even a hamlet, which has managed to survive for more than 1/2 a decade, might not be named. Also, I second the ? on what happened to Tobias Frostleaf. Therefore, proposal:
The town council (the three chosen) with the sheriff presiding, decide to call their home Tobton, a shortened version of "Tobias's Town," in honor of its founder. There is a humble ceremony, followed by a festival, including dance, feast, prayer, and an athletic competition of some sort. The day is thereafter declared a minor local holiday.

Seconded? Thirded?

Either Way...

7 Year, Second Quarter

The Town is named. Nothing else eventful happens, Though the port is still being debated

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-14, 11:52 PM
7 Year, second Half:

Proposition:

(1)
New Characters:
Jakob Allmrind: CG 8 Bard / 2 Expert (builder).

Un-named Bounty Hunter: NE (he doesnt last too long so classes are un-neccissary)

2 Unusual Persons show up, A SwashBuckler (Jakob) and an Assasin who shows up days after the SwashBuckler. The SwashbBuckler seems to want to Hang around the Inn at night and the School by day, telling the Children tales of his previous adventures and other people's adventures, his family has died at the Hands of a Dark Mage over the last year and he still seams to be affected by it.
The Assasin seems to be looking for "Some Bard" who was last seen in the area.

a while later some of the bandits that were raiding on the road are pulled into town dragged behind a Horse with Jakob on it. the Bandits are Have a fair Trial and are Hanged at midnight so the childeren are in bed and do not have to see the Horrific deaths. However the Assasin picks up some information on Jakob that he is infact the person he's been looking for and they mysteriously disappear for a few weaks, Jakob comes back close to death.

Jakob eventually starts helping the school, he builds an extra class room (one for the kids older than 10 but younger than 15), even further he donates 100 gold to the school and Starts Teaching his Bard and Swashbuckling skills there, he also signs up with the towns emergancy garrison.

(2) Grahm Nickelson starts gaining more controll over his magic abilities, he seems have a Nasty streak of recent and was found Magic-Missiling his Neighbors alive cat in a metal barrel.

(3) many new Plans have come into place for the town since its population has almost reached 200: Bigger classrooms, Guard House, Fortafication, Mayor's House, Bigger Blacksmith shop, Windmill, Fighters Guild, another Inn.

TOTAL POPULATION- 170 (41 are warriors)

Families- 43

Existing Characters:
Gregory Eckson: Human Fighter 12 (Sheriff)
Joe Billings: Human Expert 8 (Innkeeper)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 4 (Inkeeper's Wife)
J'red Darrh: Half-elf Expert 3 / wiz 1 (General Craftsman)
Grahm Nickelson (current age 16) Human Sorc 3 (Ulma's Apprentice)
Jenna Hornthrush- Human Expert 4 (Teacher)
Filip Brown- Human Commoner 2 / Warrior 2
Oskar Holderhiem: Dwarf Expert 4 (Blacksmith)
Glidda Holderhiem: 1 commoner/ Expert 1(Oskar's wife)
Frederik Holderhiem: 1 Commoner (Oskar's Son)
Garth Rek: Human Expert 4 (Preacher of Torm)
??? CG Elven Druid 2

BUILDINGS:
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse (Proposition: now has 2 rooms)
Smithy
44 Homes (Jakob's house inlcluded)
Graveyard

Falconsflight
2007-08-15, 03:36 AM
Stop.
Make him a level 6 Bard, No reason for the excessive multiclassing, and the town already has a level 12, level 10 and level 8 characters. High Level isn't exactly a common thing, even for 170 people.

Other than that, seconded.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 04:31 AM
Stop.
Make him a level 6 Bard, No reason for the excessive multiclassing, and the town already has a level 12, level 10 and level 8 characters. High Level isn't exactly a common thing, even for 170 people.

but there arent many high level characters in the first place, only the Sheriff and the towns founder.

Foolosophy
2007-08-15, 05:05 AM
Stop.

I second the adjustment. A level 6 bard is more than enough for this town. He can teach swashbuckling just fine without any more class levels and, by the rules, his perform check (assuming elite array and a raise of the 15 cha at 4th level) could be d20+3(cha)+9(ranks), resulting in a range of 13-32.
His performances would AT WORST be "routine, bordering on enjoyable", more than half of the time he would do a "great performance", even "memorable performances" are very much possible and he has a fair chance of doing an "extraordinary performance".
In short: he is a master bard.

Edit: I didn't even factor in a masterwork instrument or skill focus...he would attrackt some serious outsider attention by performing that way (see perform skill) :D

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 05:16 AM
I second the adjustment. A level 6 bard is more than enough for this town. He can teach swashbuckling just fine without any more class levels and, by the rules, his perform check (assuming elite array and a raise of the 15 cha at 4th level) could be d20+3(cha)+9(ranks), resulting in a range of 13-32.
His performances would AT WORST be "routine, bordering on enjoyable", more than half of the time he would do a "great performance", even "memorable performances" are very much possible and he has a fair chance of doing an "extraordinary performance".
In short: he is a master bard.

Edit: I didn't even factor in a masterwork instrument or skill focus...he would attrackt some serious outsider attention by performing that way (see perform skill) :D
I'm willing to compromise to Level 8 Bard , he still gets 2 levels in Expert (Builder) though.

Foolosophy
2007-08-15, 05:22 AM
Veto. This is a town of 200 we are talking about.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 05:26 AM
Veto. This is a town of 200 we are talking about.

Veto?

whatever that means, but anyway: 4 people that are level 10+ in a town of 200 (give or take) isn't stretching it much, ok?

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 06:52 AM
Jakob Allmrind: CG 8 Bard / 2 Expert (builder). not changing from that, ok? my last offer.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 08:27 AM
Total population 200(50 wariors)
faimiles 45
Year 8 first half

In order to cope with the growing number of caravans Tobias has plans for a carevansay( that is a large walled area for carevans to meet, trade and leave there goods for the night). two new buisness of note took root, A somewhat less respectable in headed by a half orc and an elven bard, a adventures shop set up by a duskblade/smith, a rouge/locksmith and a diviner. Also tobais has taken an aprentices, Jakob Heckelson.

Charecters
Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10
Garth Rek: Human Expert 4 (Preacher of Torm
??? N Elven Druid 2
New Charecters
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Caranthir Telperiën male elf bard 3
Drec Bloodroar half orc barb 3
Elerossë Telemnar male elf duskblade 5/ expert 2
Linwë Tîwele female elf div. 6
Thren Windstrike half-elf rg 5/expert 2
BUILDINGS:
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse ( now has 2 rooms)
Smithy
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 08:41 AM
Year 8 first half

In order to cope with the growing number of caravans Tobias has plans for a carevansay( that is a large walled area for carevans to meet, trade and leave there goods for the night). two new buisness of note took root, A somewhat less respectable in headed by a half orc and an elven bard, a adventures shop set up by a duskblade/smith, a rouge/locksmith and a diviner. Also tobais has taken an aprentices, Jakob Heckelson.

erm...you need to post the other stuff... i.e: New Characters, total population, Families, Existing Characters, Buildings and Propositions.

Metis
2007-08-15, 08:46 AM
I agree with the others (not that it matters). In fact, I'd even go so far as to suggest that he be a level five bard, but I think it is a little too late.
As for what 'veto' means...
Veto. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veto)

For us, this basically means he was the third person to disagree with you, so he is now a level 6 bard.

kkortekaas
2007-08-15, 09:14 AM
I'm really liking the way this is coming together, we have a nice hamlet with interesting plot hooks and whatnot.

Propose
Some of Tobias's old companions sent a note letting Tobias know they are coming for a visit.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 09:25 AM
Propose
Some of Tobias's old companions sent a note letting Tobias know they are coming for a visit.
Seconded..

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 09:34 AM
By the way How did gregory level up and wheres did he come from?

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 09:50 AM
I agree with the others (not that it matters). In fact, I'd even go so far as to suggest that he be a level five bard, but I think it is a little too late.
As for what 'veto' means...
Veto. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veto)

For us, this basically means he was the third person to disagree with you, so he is now a level 6 bard.

Jakob Allmrind: CG 8 Bard / 2 Expert (builder). not changing from that, ok? my last offer.

Veto Jakob Allmrind not being level 10 (8 Bard / 2 Expert)

Metis
2007-08-15, 09:54 AM
*sigh*
Read the rules on 'stop' and changing what someone else wrote, Dean.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 09:58 AM
*sigh*
Read the rules on 'stop' and changing what someone else wrote, Dean.

I have a right to my opinion, are you denying my right of free speech?

if so I deny you guys the right to use my Idea's or anything similar in this or any other similar threads.

cody.burton
2007-08-15, 10:06 AM
Dean, the OP set up some rules for us to follow to make this a collaborative town-building. Enough other people thought that a 10th level bard was too high, so it has been decided that it is not canon. You have the right to say whatever you want, but you don't have the right to force the rest of us to include it in the town. If you want to play by the rules, your ideas will be included in the town. If not, I would appreciate it if you would move your complaints to another thread, so they don't get mixed up with the town building.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 10:08 AM
Dean does your DM allow for you to roll 4d20 drop lowest for your stats? Why not? Why don't you roll them and put them on your character sheet anyway? This thread is just like D&D it is for the enjoyment of all players not just you. You are stepping out of the zone of the established flavor of this town and have been vetoed. And you are really arguing over an insignificant difference in levels.

cody.burton
2007-08-15, 10:11 AM
I know this is a double post, but I want to separate the town-building with rules debates.

Total population 275(50 wariors)
faimiles 45
Year 8 second half

A group of nomadic halflings have set up a semi-permanent camp near the caravansy. It has a gypsy feel to it, and pranks are common. Although Aust Umla (the halfling sorcerer) is conspicuously absent from the camp, Grahm is often seen with some of the nastier halflings, using his magic to assist in their not-so-lighthearted pranks.

Charecters
Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10
Garth Rek: Human Expert 4 (Preacher of Torm
??? N Elven Druid 2
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Jakob Allmrind ?? Bard 6
BUILDINGS:
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse ( now has 2 rooms)
Smithy
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop

EDIT: Forgot to make the new characters existing characters.
EDIT2: As Dean pointed out, Jakob Allmrind as Bard 6 is canon.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 10:14 AM
BUILDINGS:
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse ( now has 2 rooms)*
Smithy
44 Homes (Jakob's house inlcluded)*
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop

* Without Jakob Allmrind the schoolhouse wouldn't have 2 rooms and Since Jakob doesn't exist he can't have a house.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 10:23 AM
Dean, the OP set up some rules for us to follow to make this a collaborative town-building. Enough other people thought that a 10th level bard was too high, so it has been decided that it is not canon. You have the right to say whatever you want, but you don't have the right to force the rest of us to include it in the town. If you want to play by the rules, your ideas will be included in the town. If not, I would appreciate it if you would move your complaints to another thread, so they don't get mixed up with the town building.

Seconded.

Dean, if you do not wish to allow us to use ideas you have proposed in this thread according to the ground rules set up there is a very easy soloution to that: stop posting them on this thread.

I'll post an updated town in a few when my office is less crazed.

Edit: Saved me the trouble. Thanks Cody.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 10:31 AM
Seconded.

Dean, if you do not wish to allow us to use ideas you have proposed in this thread according to the ground rules set up there is a very easy soloution to that: stop posting them on this thread.

I'll post an updated town in a few when my office is less crazed.

Edit: Saved me the trouble. Thanks Cody.

at first all I posted that Dean should be 12th level (6 Swashbuckler / 4 Bard /2 expert) I was told to lower his level so I set his level to 10 levels total (8 Bard/ 2 expert) as a compromise, if people arent willing to compromise than the should be quite, I think 10th level is fair enough, ok? if you've got a problem than take it up with me by PM.

I've done enough compromising....

UserClone
2007-08-15, 10:48 AM
Proposal: during the winter of that year, a small band of starving brigands decides to abscond with several pounds of food from a hut, and when the young man of the house (who is also a member of the militia) awakens to see this, attempts to battle them. By the time all is said and done, all the brigands (and the boy-to-be-named) are dead, and the whole town is awakened. The next day, Gregory and Tobias meet with the council, which decides to erect a simple wooden wall around the town, posting sentries at night.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 11:12 AM
Proposal: during the winter of that year, a small band of starving brigands decides to abscond with several pounds of food from a hut, and when the young man of the house (who is also a member of the militia) awakens to see this, attempts to battle them. By the time all is said and done, all the brigands (and the boy-to-be-named) are dead, and the whole town is awakened. The next day, Gregory and Tobias meet with the council, which decides to erect a simple wooden wall around the town, posting sentries at night.

I second this

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:20 AM
Seconded, it's been needed for sometime...

Deranged kid goes to level 5 from level 3, Jakob Allmrind goes up to 10th level from 8th level (Jakob Allmrind is back exactly how I want him)(you said nothing about his 2 levels in Expert (builder), you just said he had to go back down to level 6 Bard)

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-15, 11:25 AM
How do delete posts?

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:27 AM
Time for summary maybe?

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 11:29 AM
Seconded, it's been needed for sometime...

Deranged kid goes to level 5 from level 3, Jakob Allmrind goes up to 10th level from 8th level (Jakob Allmrind is back exactly how I want him)(you said nothing about his 2 levels in Expert (builder), you just said he had to go back down to level 6 Bard)

Stop.

Grahm is still only 17 and it's not reasonable he would have leveled from 3 to 5 in less than a year.

Jakob was 6 by the consensus I believe and a jump of 4 levels, or even if he was level 8, 2 levels in less than a year is not reasonable.

Neither of these characters have been adventuring so the gobs of exp they would need would not be readily available.

Seconded

Total population 300(60 wariors)
faimiles 46
Year 9 first half.

A family of 6 Hextor worshippers have entered the town. The mother (cleric 2) has started building a small temple of Hextor and also offeres her services as a healer to the people for a price. The father (wizard 2) has started a drycleaning service. The Oldest son (fighter 2) has joined the mitia and is trying to work his way up. The oldest son (wizard 1) has became a follower of Grahm. The uncle (Bard 1) is trying to raise himself into the council. The young daughter is rarely seen.
The port idea is gaining favor but some are afraid that it might anger the druid, believing the druid as stronger than she is.

Stop. There is already a wealth of PC's in the town. This is 4 more. Also, the introduction of a temple to an evil deity would certianly constitute a proposal not just a named changed. For the record, I do not second.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:32 AM
Stop.
Jakob was 6 by the consensus I believe and a jump of 4 levels, or even if he was level 8, 2 levels in less than a year is not reasonable.

But the Consensus failed to mention his 2 levels in expert, so technicly Jakob is level 8. its only fair...

also: Jakob Performs at the pub, Teaches the senior students at the school and does some vigilanty work.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 11:34 AM
proposal Grahm is begining to take the gypsies pranks to far and started doing some of his own witth his "friends".

Falconsflight
2007-08-15, 11:34 AM
Seconded

Last I checked, Grahm was level 2, and that was back in year 5 or 6.. I think he should be at least level three though

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:38 AM
Time for summary maybe?

it needs to be done before everything goes to 100% chaos.

UserClone
2007-08-15, 11:40 AM
Proposal: the bard is a level 6 Bard, with no other class levels, racial hit dice, et al.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:41 AM
Proposal: the bard is a level 6 Bard, with no other class levels, racial hit dice, et al.

then how the hell did he build the 2nd classroom for the schoolhouse? :confused:

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 11:41 AM
proposal Grahm is begining to take the gypsies pranks to far and started doing some of his own witth his "friends".

Seconded

Last I checked, Grahm was level 2, and that was back in year 5 or 6.. I think he should be at least level three though

Seconded on Grahm being level 3.

Seconded

then how the hell did he build the 2nd classroom for the schoolhouse? :confused:

In the same unspecified manner many of the other buildings went up. We can assume he paid some commoners for the few days of manual labor if you like.

Regarding a summary: Stops and obecjections need to be resovled before a summary that actually reflects cannon can be posted. Give it a few hours.

I respectfully suggest that posts demanding a summary wait at least 30 or 45 mins before being reposted.

I also respectfully suggest that everyone abide by the three post rule from this point forward.

Falconsflight
2007-08-15, 11:42 AM
First of all, He probably didn't do it by himself.
And secondly, You don't have to have 2 levels in expert to pick up a hammer and hit a nail. I can do that, and I'm not an expert builder. It's really, not that hard.

Edit:
By the way these people
Have not been seconded and should not be on the list.

UserClone
2007-08-15, 11:49 AM
Seconded the proposition.

please be sure to quote the relevant information when seconding, it makes it that much easier to make a post canon, thanks.:smallbiggrin:

Yeril
2007-08-15, 11:49 AM
Proposition; Frederik Holderhiem gains 1 level of warrior and joins the militia, taking up the family waraxe with him.

Proposition; A True Neutral Ogre named Brok Treebreaker requests if he could build a house in the community. He offers to join the militia and offer his strength as a farmhand, Claiming he can plough a field faster than any two horses.

Frederik Holderhiem
Dwarf Commoner 1/ Warrior 1
Hitdice; 1d4+1d8+5 (13)
Initiative; -1
Speed; 20ft
Ac; 15 ( -1 dex, +4 scale armour, +2 Heavy wooden shield)
Base attack; +1
Grapple; +2
Attack;
Masterwork Waraxe +3 melee (1d10+1/X3)

Saves; Fort +3, Reflex; -1, Will, +0
Abilities; Strength 13, Dexterity 8, Constitution 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 11, Charisma 7
Skills; Craft (Ironsmithing) +5, Intimidate +0, Profession (Blacksmith) +3
Feats; Toughness

[Character sheets coming soon]

UserClone
2007-08-15, 11:51 AM
I respectfully suggest that posts demanding a summary wait at least 30 or 45 mins before being reposted.

I also respectfully suggest that everyone abide by the three post rule from this point forward.

both seconded.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 11:52 AM
Proposition; Frederik Holderhiem gains 1 level of warrior and joins the militia, taking up the family waraxe with him.

Proposition; A True Neutral Ogre named Brok Treebreaker requests if he could build a house in the community. He offers to join the militia and offer his strength as a farmhand, Claiming he can plough a field faster than any two horses.

[Character sheets coming soon]

Seconded to both. Keeping in mind that the ogre is requesting to join the community. Not that the community has agreed as of yet.

Falconsflight
2007-08-15, 11:53 AM

Proposition; A True Neutral Ogre named Brok Treebreaker requests if he could build a house in the community. He offers to join the militia and offer his strength as a farmhand, Claiming he can plough a field faster than any two horses

SEconded to both.

Also, no need for character sheets, I don't believe so anyway.

Proposition: Brok Treebreaker is a level 2 warrior.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 11:54 AM

Seconded..

proposition: Brok Treebreaker is a level 2 warrior..
seconded..

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-15, 11:59 AM
Isn't the part at the bottom of the posts a summary.

Proposal: Grahm starts a cult/gang of the youths of the hamlet.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 12:13 PM
Proposal: Grahm starts a cult/gang of the youths of the hamlet.

seconded
proposal said gang begins stealing from the caravans.

Yeril
2007-08-15, 12:15 PM
Propositon; Brok as a level 2 Commoner, Considering A) ogres already have 4 HD of giant and B) I find the idea of a Ogre Warrior wanting to become a farmer slightly harder to Consider compared to a Ogre Commoner wanting to become a farmer.

UserClone
2007-08-15, 12:19 PM
Propositon; Brok as a level 2 Commoner
Seconded, also proposal:
A terse, yet valid reason for each person's class/level.
(i.e., Brok).

Yeril
2007-08-15, 12:32 PM
Brok as Commoner
Brok Treebreaker
Ogre Giant 4/ Commoner 2
Hitdice; 4d8+2d4+18 (41)
Initiative; -1
Speed; 40ft (30ft armoured)
Ac; 13 ( -1 dex, -1 size, +5 natural)
Base attack; +4
Grapple; +14
Attack;
Unarmed +8 Melee (1d4+7 / X2)
or
Greatclub +8 Melee (2d8+7 / X2)

Saves; Fort +6, Reflex; +0, Will, +1
Abilities; Strength 21, Dexterity 8, Constitution 15, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 10, Charisma 7
Skills; Listen +4, Profession (Farmer) +3, Spot +3
Feats; Toughness x2, Endurance

Brok as Warrior
Brok Treebreaker
Ogre Giant 4/ Warrior 2
Hitdice; 6d8+24 (51)
Initiative; -1
Speed; 40ft (30ft armoured)
Ac; 13 ( -1 dex, -1 size, +5 natural) [16 if wearing his hide armor]
Base attack; +5
Grapple; +15
Attack;
Unarmed +9 Melee (1d4+8 / X2)
or
Greatclub +10 Melee (2d8+8 / X2)

Saves; Fort +10, Reflex; +0, Will, +0
Abilities; Strength 22, Dexterity 8, Constitution 16, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 9, Charisma 6
Skills; Listen +3, Profession (Farmer) +1, Spot +2
Feats; Toughness x2, Weapon Focus (greatclub)

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-15, 12:39 PM
Year 9 January
Grahm and a few "friends" start a gang and begin stealing from the caravans and local shops after disturbing the port construction (I'm pretty sure enough people approved) Tyras the mercenary (the LE tiefling marshal-2) yells (alot) to the gov't about how we need security defense etc. despite being very unpopular with the population his yelling has some merits.

Proposed: the port stuff from last year built
tiefling named Tyras the mercenary (worshipper of the god of war or similar)
Build police station, Court, Prison, Gallows etc.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Emperor Demonking
Seconded

A family of 6 Hextor worshippers have entered the town. The mother (cleric 2) has started building a small temple of Hextor and also offeres her services as a healer to the people for a price. The father (wizard 2) has started a drycleaning service. The Oldest son (fighter 2) has joined the mitia and is trying to work his way up. The oldest son (wizard 1) has became a follower of Grahm. The uncle (Bard 1) is trying to raise himself into the council. The young daughter is rarely seen.
The port idea is gaining favor but some are afraid that it might anger the druid, believing the druid as stronger than she is.

Stop. There is already a wealth of PC's in the town. This is 4 more. Also, the introduction of a temple to an evil deity would certianly constitute a proposal not just a named changed. For the record, I do not second.

I would like it if people yay or nayed the stop on this so that I can try to update the town's status as canon. According to the rules it needs two people to agree with me or three to disagree.

EDIT: To DemonKing below: the person who proposed it can't vote per the OP's rules.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 12:44 PM

Seconded, the town needs more growth.

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-15, 12:48 PM
Also, the introduction of a temple to an evil deity would certianly constitute a proposal not just a named changed. For the record, I do not second.

I'd second it if it was like a secret society thing but not if its openly out there.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-15, 12:52 PM
It was meant to openly out their. Also for the record, once I read the rules again I got a dislike of the idea.

Tiefling mecenary- seconded.

Year 9, February

The small gang decided to put their efforts into stealing from the halflings, hoping that if they lay off the tiefling he'll be more likely to stop his calls for gallows. The small gang seems to be split on whether they should steal by force or by stealth. The sorcerer seems happy as long as the halfling's suffer.

Proposal: In the gang their should be a level 1 rogue.
Proposal: The halfling's and the villiage go into conflict.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 01:11 PM

second them both

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-15, 01:25 PM

I second the rogue but am not sure about the conflict can you describe it for me.

and btw if your going to use the character i created i think i should tell you how i envisioned him

Tiefling Backstory:
The son of a mercenary commander and a half-erinyes from a very young age (read 4 or 5) he was trained to be the leader when his dad was gone. After leading his first group into battle he realized he truly enjoyed fighting and killing and at that point his alignment shifted from LN to LE after a decade or so of successful mercenariing he decided to go into to temporary retirement until he could find a way to make a massive amount of money. Also he's supposed to be pretty wealthy from the family business or at least as wealthy as a 5th level adventuring group.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 01:33 PM
Tobton Year 9 March

Things bettween the halfling caravan and the town begin to get tense. A few minor squabbles in the two inns have broken out and the town guard has been called on a few occasions to break up or prevent bloodshed. The idea of the port is still being debated but public opinion is swaying that way. Tyras continues his efforts to convince more townsfolk with some sucess. The impending danger of conflict is also leading more townsfolk to side with Garth Rek rather than Tobias on the religion issue.

faimiles 45

Characters
Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10
Grahm Nickelson (current age 18) Human Sorc 3 (Ulma's Apprentice)
Frederik Holderhiem: 1 Commoner / Warrior 1(Oskar's Son)
??? N Elven Druid 2
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Jakob Allmrind ?? Bard 6 (Secondary teacher)
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Member of Grahm's Gang Rogue 1
Tyras Tiefling Marshall 2

BUILDINGS:
Eckland Keep
Grainhouse
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse (now has 2 rooms)
Smithy
65 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan

Proposals:
1. Grahm goes to 4.
2. Hostilities bettween the town and the caravan prompt the town to accept Brok on the condition that he lives bettween the town and the caravan and joins the militia.
3. The unnamed druid in the woods advances to level 3.

Edit: to OP below- I don't recall seeing a second for Tobias' friends.
Edit 2: Hey I'm an Orc now!

kkortekaas
2007-08-15, 01:34 PM
Again, this is fantastic, but I'd like to point out just a small concern...

If you present a character to the thread, that character can be taken whatever way future posters want him (or her to go) Just keep it in mind..

EDIT
Did Tobias's friends ever come to town?

internerdj
2007-08-15, 01:36 PM
Tobton Year 9 March
[B]Proposals:
1. Grahm goes to 4.
2. Hostilities bettween the town and the caravan prompt the town to accept Brok on the condition that he lives bettween the town and the caravan and joins the militia.
Seconded all.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 01:39 PM
EDIT
Did Tobias's friends ever come to town?

Proposal:
Potential adventure hook:
Not yet and this has begun to concern Tobias. He is concidering recruiting a few adventurers to accompany him on a journey to their last known location of Waterdeep.

elliott20
2007-08-15, 01:50 PM
Proposal:
Potential adventure hook:
Not yet and this has begun to concern Tobias. He is concidering recruiting a few adventurers to accompany him on a journey to their last known location of Waterdeep.

seconded.

Proposition
The conflict between the halflings and the towns people finally come to ahead when a "prank" goes wrong and ends up burning down the grainhouse. This also kills one of the farmers who was working the grainhouse at the time.(The prank was in reality the result of the gangs horsing around with Grahm's magic) Naturally, the halflings were blamed. Pinned for a crime they did not commit, the halflings denies any allegations of such, and the halflings were then slowly seen arming themselves and while they hold secret congregations at night. Tobias and Gregory have become considerably worried about the almost inevitable bloodshed that will ensue shortly.

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-15, 01:50 PM
I second the thing above.

If you present a character to the thread, that character can be taken whatever way future posters want him (or her to go) Just keep it in mind

I know but i was trying to point out how he thinks and how it would be out of character for him to say donate money to a LG church.

Proposals:
1. Grahm goes to 4.

Seconded

btw what alignment is Grahm

elliott20
2007-08-15, 01:52 PM
I think there is an extent of background writing which is in line with a particular character's core that I do believe helps. However, once a character is actually established, his fate is pretty much out of the hands of the creator.

Runolfr
2007-08-15, 02:04 PM
I'd second it if it was like a secret society thing but not if its openly out there.

I agree (so I guess that's seconding the stop). It shouldn't be possible for low-level Hextor worshippers to openly operate in a town founded by a retiring (but still much higher level) paladin.

If they're sneaking around, it's acceptable.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 02:05 PM
seconded.

Proposition
The conflict between the halflings and the towns people finally come to ahead when a "prank" goes wrong and ends up burning down the grainhouse. This also kills one of the farmers who was working the grainhouse at the time.(The prank was in reality the result of the gangs horsing around with Grahm's magic) Naturally, the halflings were blamed. Pinned for a crime they did not commit, the halflings denies any allegations of such, and the halflings were then slowly seen arming themselves and while they hold secret congregations at night. Tobias and Gregory have become considerably worried about the almost inevitable bloodshed that will ensue shortly.

Seconded

Re: Grahms Alignment, let's say CE. His behavior so far seems to indicate that.

Tobton Year 9 May

faimiles 45

Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10
Grahm Nickelson (current age 18) Human Sorc 4 (Ulma's Apprentice)
??? N Elven Druid 3
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Member of Grahm's Gang Rogue 1

BUILDINGS:
Eckland Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
65 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan

Proposals:
1. Grahms Rogue goes to 2.
2. The town approves the larger militia suggested by Tyras in response to the fire.
3. Aust Ulma determines that magic was involved in the fire. She begins to suspect Grahm and mentions it to Tobias. Tobias does not do anything yet as thre is no hard evidence linking Grahm to the fire.

Runolfr
2007-08-15, 02:11 PM
Proposal

In Tobton Year 9, Summer (after the spring floods)

Tobias hires an expert from Baldur's Gate to design a dock where ships traveling the river can tie up for the night or to trade. Learning of this development, additional merchants and craftsmen begin building shops to cater to the river traffic. One villager constructs a barge and begins to offer ferry service across the river. Additional farmers moving to the area begin to build on the far side of the river.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 02:19 PM
Proposal:
With the mounting strife in his community Tobias is unable to join the party to search for his missing companions. In lieu of his traveling with the group, he offers to equip the party willing to go search for his companions. Several young members of the town including Frederick are willing to join the party.

elliott20
2007-08-15, 02:22 PM
Proposals:
1. Grahms Rogue goes to 2.
2. The town approves the larger militia suggested by Tyras in response to the fire.
3. Aust Ulma determines that magic was involved in the fire. She begins to suspect Grahm and mentions it to Tobias. Tobias does not do anything yet as thre is no hard evidence linking Grahm to the fire.

seconded

Proposal

In Tobton Year 9, Summer (after the spring floods)

Tobias hires an expert from Baldur's Gate to design a dock where ships traveling the river can tie up for the night or to trade. Learning of this development, additional merchants and craftsmen begin building shops to cater to the river traffic. One villager constructs a barge and begins to offer ferry service across the river. Additional farmers moving to the area begin to build on the far side of the river.

Proposal:
With the mounting strife in his community Tobias is unable to join the party to search for his missing companions. In lieu of his traveling with the group, he offers to equip the party willing to go search for his companions. Several young members of the town including Frederick are willing to join the party.

second these too.

but the last one I have a caveat to that. Seeing as adventurers' prowess and actions is an unknown, we propose that if we want to suggest a potential hook, we label it with a bold HOOK or something, but then also provide what happens in canon.

proposal:

Ulma's suspicion of Grahm is not a new one. She has long observed Grahm's emotional growth and she has been long disturbed by his behavior. Grahm's constant obsessive behavior and his persistent display of cruelity towards little animals has concerned her for quite some time.

Over the course of the half year, grahm realizes that Ulma is onto her, but he does not, rather enjoying flaunting it in her face, knowing that she cannot prove anything.

Ulma begins to fear her own pupil.

Foolosophy
2007-08-15, 02:30 PM
a general thought:

do we want Tobton to grow bigger and bigger into a full-fledged city or do we have a specific size in mind. Not that I think growing in population and space is bad, but we should maybe try and agree on some general idea.
Even if Tobton is destined to grow over the years it would be realistic to have a few events that decimate the size of the town a bit. These need not be violent at all, there are many reasons for migration.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 02:31 PM
seconded
we propose that if we want to suggest a potential hook, we label it with a bold HOOK or something, but then also provide what happens in canon.

Second

proposal:

Ulma's suspicion of Grahm is not a new one. She has long observed Grahm's emotional growth and she has been long disturbed by his behavior. Grahm's constant obsessive behavior and his persistent display of cruelity towards little animals has concerned her for quite some time.

Over the course of the half year, grahm realizes that Ulma is onto her, but he does not, rather enjoying flaunting it in her face, knowing that she cannot prove anything.

Ulma begins to fear her own pupil.

Second

internerdj
2007-08-15, 02:37 PM
a general thought:

do we want Tobton to grow bigger and bigger into a full-fledged city or do we have a specific size in mind. Not that I think growing in population and space is bad, but we should maybe try and agree on some general idea.
Even if Tobton is destined to grow over the years it would be realistic to have a few events that decimate the size of the town a bit. These need not be violent at all, there are many reasons for migration.
This was the purpose of my adventuring party post previous and why I didn't label it as a hook.

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-15, 02:39 PM
I have a question why hasn't Ulma leveled up at all?

Proposition: The town has a celebration for its 10th anniversary and uses the profits to finance construction projects and start its non-existant justice system.

v Oh um i forgot how hard coin minting is nevermind then is it better now?

Runolfr
2007-08-15, 02:41 PM
Proposition: The town makes commerative coins for its 10th anniversary and uses the profits to finance construction projects and start its non-existant justice system

Stop. Minting coins is typically the prerogative of a kingdom, not a small village. They don't even appear to have any goldsmiths or other craftsmen capable of such a task. They would likely hold a celebration, but minting commemorative coins doesn't seem likely for this place.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 02:45 PM

Ulma has been only been teaching so far, she has not been involved in activities that would pose a significant challenge to a 10th level being.

Proposal: Ulma and some of her more promising and non-frightening students have begun to experiment more with magic. (Her experimenting will begin granting her experience albiet slow. So that she may continue to offer new lessons to her students and eventually level.) Her apparent lack of interest in Graham as a student irritates him more and he drops out of her tutiledge.

Stop. Minting coins is typically the prerogative of a kingdom, not a small village. They don't even appear to have any goldsmiths or other craftsmen capable of such a task. They would likely hold a celebration, but minting commemorative coins doesn't seem likely for this place.

Seconded.

elliott20
2007-08-15, 02:46 PM
well, it seems to me as of right now that the town actually HAS gone under several small struggles that stunt it's growth. besides, it's still a small town we're talking about here with around 200 people. And, considering that we've made the struggle between the halflings and the townspeople canon, it seems that some decimation is eminant.

as for ulma, well, there could be a variety of reasons. The most immediate one I can think of is that she hasn't really been adventuring or doing anything that is really XP worthy for her. While I'm sure she's been getting passive XP for just not dying, I'd venture to say that if she's been doing any kind of magic item creation on top of that, she's probably going to be slow on the rise.

edit: I second the stop on the minting coins bit. This town does not have the infrastructure nor the power to actually undertake something like this.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 02:47 PM

She has not been adventuring or doing anything that would give her much in the way of exp. Grahm, his rouge and, in theory, the druid in the woods, have been doing stuff (like setting fire to the grainhouse). She's 10th level, that's a lot of exp to level up if you are essentially retired and living in a little town.

Proposition: The town has a celebration for its 10th anniversary and uses the profits to finance construction projects and start its non-existant justice system.

Second. Note, I'm seconding the version sanscoins.

internerdj
2007-08-15, 02:53 PM
Second. Note, I'm seconding the version sanscoins.

Agreed. The version sans coins is good.

kkortekaas
2007-08-15, 03:32 PM
Proposal
Eckland Keep be renamed into Frostleaf Keep (Eckland happened to be a holdover from the Wizard Forum posts.)

As for town size, as long as it increases in a reasonable way, I'd say no limit on growth.

PsyBlade
2007-08-15, 03:41 PM
seconded on both accounts (kkortekaas)

Proposal:
Just outside the city a 20 year old human is found badly injured.
Not giving a name, so that if he is accepted he can be named by the posters.
Just barely NE. With acceptance, and a little push from Tobias, he could become TN>LN>LG over the next 3 years.
Wizard, let's say 2, conjurer specialist, banned necromancy and abjuration.
His evilness is the result of him having been constantly mistreated, forced out of his home, and generally bad things happening to him for no valid reason.

Jayabalard
2007-08-15, 03:44 PM
Stop. Minting coins is typically the prerogative of a kingdom, not a small village. They don't even appear to have any goldsmiths or other craftsmen capable of such a task. They would likely hold a celebration, but minting commemorative coins doesn't seem likely for this place.Minting of coins has been done on more localized level; it just means that the people who make them are attesting to their purity and weight (ie quality control). That said, the idea of commemorative coins is a bit silly, and a minting operation would only get started if there was a fairly large local gold mining operation (and there isn't as far as I've seen). Just something to keep in mind.

I agree (so I guess that's seconding the stop). It shouldn't be possible for low-level Hextor worshippers to openly operate in a town founded by a retiring (but still much higher level) paladin.Agreed with "stop" ... Like Runolfr, I can't see them being allowed to openly move in like that; perhaps they could get away with it if they were hidden, not out in the open.

kkortekaas
2007-08-15, 03:55 PM
Agreed with "stop" ... Like Runolfr, I can't see them being allowed to openly move in like that; perhaps they could get away with it if they were hidden, not out in the open.

And to top it off, Hextor isn't a FR god...so yeah. I'll third the "stop"

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 04:19 PM
proposal the tension comes two a head when a halfling is found torn apart by a wolf while caught in a hunters trap
proposal Grahm finds a viper sleeping in the mouth of a bandit and decides to take it as a faimilier with his ill gotten gains.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-15, 04:23 PM
seconded on both accounts (kkortekaas)

Proposal:
Just outside the city a 20 year old human is found badly injured.
Not giving a name, so that if he is accepted he can be named by the posters.
Just barely NE. With acceptance, and a little push from Tobias, he could become TN>LN>LG over the next 3 years.
Wizard, let's say 2, conjurer specialist, banned necromancy and abjuration.
His evilness is the result of him having been constantly mistreated, forced out of his home, and generally bad things happening to him for no valid reason.

Seconded

proposal the tension comes two a head when a halfling is found torn apart by a wolf while caught in a hunters trap
proposal Grahm finds a viper sleeping in the mouth of a bandit and decides to take it as a faimilier with his ill gotten gains.

Seconded

Tobton Year 9 November

As the docks on the far side of the river and the buildings accompanying them spring up tensions continue to rise bettween the townsfolk and the gypsy caravan. Grahm, excited by the prospect of bloodshed quietly encourages the trouble on both sides, making liberal use of Charm Person. The increased monetary throughflow from the fledgling docks as well as the newly empowered guard spurs a large number of newcomers to move to Tobton, mostly on the far bank of the river where the concerns from the caravan seem more remote.

Total population 450 (75 wariors)
faimiles 80

Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10
Betty & Jim Billings (children): Human Commoners 1 (Inkeepers Kids, now 15)
??? N Elven Druid 3
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Member of Grahm's Gang Rogue 2
Unnamed NE Human Wizard 2 (20 years old)

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
65 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows

Proposals:
1. Name the unnamed Wizard Amary Valentine
2. Tobias takes in Amary, shows him kindness and understanding. Amary takes steps toward TN.
3. Using an illusion Grahm makes Brok believe that the Caravan is on fire. Brok summons the guard who rush over to see what is going on. The gypsies, assuming that the attack has finally come, engage the city guard. Several guardsmen are killed, including Filip Brown and 4 others. Nearly a dozen of the gypsies are slain before the misunderstanding is worked out.
4. (if 3 is adopted) Townsfolk and Gypsies alike, with some whispered racist comments from Grahms gang, suspect the Ogre made it up as an excuse to kill people.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 04:31 PM
2. Tobias takes in Amary, shows him kindness and understanding. Amary takes steps toward TN.
3. Using an illusion Grahm makes Brok believe that the Caravan is on fire. Brok summons the guard who rush over to see what is going on. The gypsies, assuming that the attack has finally come, engage the city guard. Several guardsmen are killed, including Filip Brown and 4 others. Nearly a dozen of the gypsies are slain before the misunderstanding is worked out.
4. (if 3 is adopted) Townsfolk and Gypsies alike, with some whispered racist comments from Grahms gang, suspect the Ogre made it up as an excuse to kill people.

seconded numbers 1,3,4

Diego
2007-08-15, 05:33 PM
Alternate Proposal:
1.Amary (previously unnamed Level 2 Wizard) is adopted by Grahm's gang.
2.As part of his initiation he is pressured into killing one of the halflings (captured by Grahm and his rogue henchman). HOOK Dealing with ghost of some nature?
3.The Halfling caravan finds one of its members missing and ups and vanishes overnight down the road. (This would be a substantial setback to the population, and trade of the small town). Edit: Some form of retaliation before leaving would be appropriate, though straight up conflict seems out. Perhaps the clearing in which they were staying is now extensively trapped?

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 05:38 PM
Alternate Proposal:
1.Amary (previously unnamed Level 2 Wizard) is adopted by Grahm's gang.
2.As part of his initiation he is pressured into killing one of the halflings (captured by Grahm and his rogue henchman). HOOK Dealing with ghost of some nature?
3.The Halfling caravan finds one of its members missing and ups and vanishes overnight down the road. (This would be a substantial setback to the population, and trade of the small town).

1,2 seconded but we have a nice scenario building with the halflings

Magi_Ring_O
2007-08-15, 05:39 PM
Proposals:

Seconded..

Istari
2007-08-15, 05:44 PM
Proposal

A small group of rangers move into the forests near town and live peacefully with the druid there.

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 05:52 PM
Proposal

A small group of rangers move into the forests near town and live peacefully with the druid there.

seconded and I propose that they join him .
Also proposal Grahm is level 5 from all the torture and trickery.

Foolosophy
2007-08-15, 05:54 PM
Seconded..

I agree aswell

PsyBlade
2007-08-15, 06:34 PM
Seconded..

Yeril
2007-08-15, 06:50 PM
Proposition; Rocks fall everyone dies!

just kidding :smallbiggrin:

Proposition ; Oskar Holderhiem is badly wounded to brigands and bandits trying to rob his caravan as he and his son traveled to a neighboring town to trade, Frederik managed to repel the attackers.

Due to the long wait for Oskar to recover, the blacksmithing for the village is cut short, prices for iron goods rise and this causes a slight depression in the commerce of the town.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 08:36 PM
Proposition: Jakob Allmrind starts digging some holes so he can renovate his house(he is building an underground safe house for his possesions in light of the problems in town) and hits something hard he gets the hard substance Identified and finds out that it is gold. He starts making plans for a Mining opperation, he only keeps the upmost government of Tobton in the loop.

The mining opperation goes to a smoth start with Jakobs house (Jakob's being on the outskirts of town) being the base of opperations.

(this is founded by Jakob's adventuring gold from previous adventures before he joined Tobton)

puppyavenger
2007-08-15, 08:50 PM
Proposition: Jakob Allmrind starts digging some holes so he can renovate his house(he is building an underground safe house for his possesions in light of the problems in town) and hits something hard he gets the hard substance Identified and finds out that it is gold. He starts making plans for a Mining opperation, he only keeps the upmost government of Tobton in the loop.

The mining opperation goes to a smoth start with Jakobs house (Jakob's being on the outskirts of town) being the base of opperations.

(this is founded by Jakob's adventuring gold from previous adventures before he joined Tobton)

seconded

and because I'm confused I'll propose a chain of goverment
Tobais( owns the keep and everyone is realy working on his land
town concil; gregory Eckson, Aunt Ulma, Joe Billings ( elected every 6 years
town guard

Also I propose that they grow a bit spscios of the gathering in light on the recent trouble with the halflings and ask the teacher to find out what is happening.

elliott20
2007-08-15, 09:05 PM
Proposals:

I've notice that we have a number of different responses to this block. (We have one where the whole thing is accepted, one where it's just 1, 2, and 4, and another where it's just 1 and 2. So I'm going to suggest a slightly different approach for this bit.

I will second the whole block and make it canon. But the other responses will be part of the rumors that have gone around.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 09:14 PM
seconded

and because I'm confused I'll propose a chain of goverment
Tobais( owns the keep and everyone is realy working on his land
town concil; gregory Eckson, Aunt Ulma, Joe Billings ( elected every 6 years
town guard

Also I propose that they grow a bit spscios of the gathering in light on the recent trouble with the halflings and ask the *teacher to find out what is happening.

which Teacher? Jakob?

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-15, 09:15 PM
I second the last 4 posts
Propose

Tobais
town concil;
/
\
/
\
town guard
Jail & Gallows

Also is the town gaurd the cops and a seperate militia or is there a town gaurd that does both?

I think he means the teacher that isn't a bard

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 09:24 PM
Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10
Betty & Jim Billings (children): Human Commoners 1 (Inkeepers Kids, now 15)
??? N Elven Druid 3
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Jakob Allmrind Human Bard 6 (Secondary teacher, current age: 38)
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Unnamed NE Human Wizard 2 (20 years old)

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
65 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows
GoldMine (Run by Jakob Fellithor since his house is the one being converted into the base of operations)

Propositions:

1) Betty & Jim Billings have just Graduated from Jakob's Secondary unit and are now taking on roles as 1st level classes, they seem eager to help the town, but their father forbids them from joining the guard until they are 18.

2) Tobton hire a wizard and a mastercraftsman from Baulders Gate to help with the mining and Transportation of gold to the surface. the Craftsman makes plans for a cart on tracks that will be powered by Wizard magic (Permacharm).

3) a Mining boom happens right after the mine opens (this should wait a while to be honest)

4) Grahm has become an Illusionist and a Combat Sorcerer, nobody knows this except for his gang.

sefiru
2007-08-15, 11:02 PM
heh, first post ever. I just had to join in on this. :smallsmile:

Every town needs gossips ...

(Year 9, start of school year)

A pair of twin girls, Ellie and Tara Birch, start school in Tobton. Individually they're manageable, but when they work together they the terrors of the school: LN and CN respectively, Tara comes up with crazy schemes and Ellie constructs a plan to carry them out. They always work together.

They delight in mischief and pranks; often making off with small, important objects (including on one occasion the jailhouse keys, which later turn up in a magpie's nest). However, they Do Not Like Grahm and avoid him whenever possible.

(proposal for the future)
As they grow older, the Birch twins are the center of their social net, and while they're a bit off-putting to suitors of their own, they often act as go-betweens to carry love notes ... both real and fictional. They never marry, but as they are too ambitious to be conventional spinsters, so they become makers of lace, which provides them a modest living. They also augment their income with blackmail of selected townspeople.

Ellie and Tara know everything that's happening behind closed doors in Tobton, and they have a finger in every pie. Still technically N, but they believe that evil is bad for business, so on major matters they tend to support the side of good.

Hook: If adventurers need an errand run on the sly (children) or information on what's really happening in town (adult), the Birch Sisters are the ones to see.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:08 PM
heh, first post ever. I just had to join in on this. :smallsmile:

Every town needs gossips ...

(Year 9, start of school year)

A pair of twin girls, Ellie and Tara Birch, start school in Tobton. Individually they're manageable, but when they work together they the terrors of the school: LN and CN respectively, Tara comes up with crazy schemes and Ellie constructs a plan to carry them out. They always work together.

They delight in mischief and pranks; often making off with small, important objects (including on one occasion the jailhouse keys, which later turn up in a magpie's nest). However, they Do Not Like Grahm and avoid him whenever possible.

(proposal for the future)
As they grow older, the Birch twins are the center of their social net, and while they're a bit off-putting to suitors of their own, they often act as go-betweens to carry love notes ... both real and fictional. They never marry, but as they are too ambitious to be conventional spinsters, so they become makers of lace, which provides them a modest living. They also augment their income with blackmail of selected townspeople.

Ellie and Tara know everything that's happening behind closed doors in Tobton, and they have a finger in every pie. Still technically N, but they believe that evil is bad for business, so on major matters they tend to support the side of good.

Hook: If adventurers need an errand run on the sly (children) or information on what's really happening in town (adult), the Birch Sisters are the ones to see.

STOP.

Age and race pls?

PsyBlade
2007-08-15, 11:37 PM
Agreed, Age and Race.

Also, it appears the wizard I proposed is now Amary Valentine.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-15, 11:48 PM
Agreed, Age and Race.

Also, it appears the wizard I proposed is now Amary Valentine.

ok, how about 14 (looking in human years) Elves, but since they only look 14 they'd still be under age for them to be adventuring for at least the next 4 or so years.

sefiru
2007-08-16, 01:32 AM
STOP.

Age and race pls?

Knew I forgot something.

I was thinking Human, around age 8 ... I imagined them as the children of local farmers, which would rule out Elves, I think. I was going for "ordinary gossip-mongers" rather than "adventurers in waiting".

Foolosophy
2007-08-16, 03:47 AM
Knew I forgot something.

I was thinking Human, around age 8 ... I imagined them as the children of local farmers, which would rule out Elves, I think. I was going for "ordinary gossip-mongers" rather than "adventurers in waiting".

8 years and human sounds good. *agrees*

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-16, 04:47 AM
STOP

they need parents.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-16, 04:55 AM
Stop.

Not seconded, not every character is detailed.

Question: How large is Grahm's gang.

Proposal: Grahm's gang gets a wizard. Brim Greenstone, 17 , human wizard 1.

sefiru
2007-08-16, 07:45 AM
Not seconded, not every character is detailed.

Question: How large is Grahm's gang.

Proposal: Grahm's gang gets a wizard. Brim Greenstone, 17 , human wizard 1.

I'd suggest about 5-10, mostly of the testosterone-soaked thug variety.

Second Brim, with the addition that he only knows a few cantrips (no L1 spells yet) and is jealous of Grahm's powers.

Proposal: Tobton constructs a fountain outside the marketplace as a public water source, possibly with a wooden statue of a paladin on top.

Istari
2007-08-16, 08:03 AM
Proposal

A family of elves move to town prefering to stay near the woods.
Anna Shadowleaf 3 druid NG
Paul Shadowleaf 3 ranger NG
William Shadowleaf 1 ranger CG

woc33
2007-08-16, 08:28 AM
Proposal

stop.

i think Anna should be a level 3 druid, but Paul and William should both be gleaners. (Paul as gleaner 3 and William as gleaner 1)

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-16, 08:52 AM
I don't think your meant to say stop when it comes to proposals.

Counter-Proposal:Grahm's higher level spells are illusions and enchantments.

Diego
2007-08-16, 08:52 AM
Proposal

Isn't there already a druid and rangers in the woods near town?

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-16, 08:56 AM
seconded and I propose that they join him .
Also proposal Grahm is level 5 from all the torture and trickery.

Seconded

Diego, has a point about the fact that thier are already druids and rangers.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 09:00 AM
stop.

i think Anna should be a level 3 druid, but Paul and William should both be gleaners. (Paul as gleaner 3 and William as gleaner 1)

Gotta go with the rest. We already have druids and rangers a plenty running around. Not seconded. As well as a plethora, per population, of PC classes.

I think this is right...

Tobton Year 10 March

The continued growth of the docks on the far bank coupled with the discovery, if quietly, of gold in the town has begun to draw more and more people from Baldurs gate to Tobton. Some in search of a fortune, some in search of quieter climes. So long as they don't live near the caravan, they find them. New buildings are springing up all over town, far bank and near, although the area around the Gypsy Caravan and Brok remains desolate as anyone unknown approaching the caravan is eyed with suspicion and suble threat. Slowly the growing town is engulfing the Gypsies, they know it, and so does the Druid in the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

Total population 550 (75 wariors)
faimiles 120

Existing Characters:
Tobais frostleaf pal 10 (Local Lord)
Gregory Eckson: Human Fighter 12 (Sheriff/Town Councilman)
Joe Billings: Human Expert 8 (Innkeeper/Town Councilman)
Betty & Jim Billings (children): Human Warriors 1 (Inkeepers Kids, now 16)
Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer/Town Counsilman)
Grahm Nickelson (current age 19) Human Sorc 5 (Ulma's Apprentice)
??? N Elven Druid 3
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Brim Greenstone, (age 17) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang)
Amary Valentine NE Human Wizard 2 (21 years old)
Ellie and Tara Birch (age 8) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)
Several Human Thugs in Grahm's gang
Several Rangers with the unnamed Druid

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
90 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine

Proposals:
1. One new character- Jormish Glimrock Illusionist 2, most respected among the Gypsy caravan.
2. We name the druid in the woods Bromeliad Te'Lienan, Female Elf
3. She approaches the Caravan leaders (Jormish if accepted) to discuss the growth of the town. Neither one is happy about it.

internerdj
2007-08-16, 09:22 AM
Proposition:
The growth has put a strain on the lumber supply on this side of the river. Tobias does not wish to disrupt the druid's grove so decides to send a delegation. He also worries if Graham finds out about the deligation, he will sabotage it as another prank. But somehow that information makes it to Graham via the twins.

puppyavenger
2007-08-16, 09:33 AM
Proposition:
The growth has put a strain on the lumber supply on this side of the river. Tobias does not wish to disrupt the druid's grove so decides to send a delegation. He also worries if Graham finds out about the deligation, he will sabotage it as another prank. But somehow that information makes it to Graham via the twins.

seconded

Proposals:
1. One new character- Jormish Glimrock Illusionist 2, most respected among the Gypsy caravan.
2. We name the druid in the woods Bromeliad Te'Lienan, Female Elf
3. She approaches the Caravan leaders (Jormish if accepted) to discuss the growth of the town. Neither one is happy about it.

seconded but noboby knows her name

kkortekaas
2007-08-16, 10:14 AM
Question.

The post above mine seems to indicate that Tobias knows about Grahm...I find this difficult to accept as Tobias is a Paladin of Torm...

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 10:22 AM
Question.

The post above mine seems to indicate that Tobias knows about Grahm...I find this difficult to accept as Tobias is a Paladin of Torm...

Based upon other approved stuff Tobias knows that Aust Ulma is worried about Grahm but that no one has any evidence against him.

puppyavenger
2007-08-16, 10:33 AM
As a BEEg in the making he's smart!

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-16, 10:40 AM
Year 10, june

Brim constantly jealous of Grahm, is using the gang to steal a small amount of the gold without Grahm or the rogue knowing about itThis is annoying for Grahm as it constantly means that it is putting off his own plans.
The head of the town are afraid that if both the druid and the halflings fight them the town would be destroyed, this is leading for a push to forced consciption and though that hasn't happened those that don't even half part time fight expireince are looked down on.

Total population 550 (82 wariors)
faimiles 120

Existing Characters:
??? N Elven Druid 3
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Amary Valentine NE Human Wizard 2 (21 years old)
Several Rangers with the unnamed Druid

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
90 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine

Proposal: Grahm has a ring of non-detectable alignment.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 11:04 AM
proposal:

- J'red Darrh, the local general craftsman, befriends Brok the Ogre over the course of the past couple years as his settlement makes him only a stone's throw away from the Ogre's home.

- Grahm is considering having his subordinate Brim murdered for trying to wrestle the gang away from him. It's not so much that he cares all that much about the power; it's that Brim's approach towards crime is just not his style and he hates being told what to do.

- HOOK I also think this growing tension of the town seems to be piquing for a while now. I think it's about time something REALLY big happens where the townspeople, the druids, and the gypsies finally have a showdown. Canonically, the township will survive this major event, I think.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 11:17 AM
proposal:

- J'red Darrh, the local general craftsman, befriends Brok the Ogre over the course of the past couple years as his settlement makes him only a stone's throw away from the Ogre's home.

- Grahm is considering having his subordinate Brim murdered for trying to wrestle the gang away from him. It's not so much that he cares all that much about the power; it's that Brim's approach towards crime is just not his style and he hates being told what to do.

- HOOK I also think this growing tension of the town seems to be piquing for a while now. I think it's about time something REALLY big happens where the townspeople, the druids, and the gypsies finally have a showdown. Canonically, the township will survive this major event, I think.

Second to all.

Second

internerdj
2007-08-16, 11:31 AM
Thirded
Proposal: it was stolen from Aust Umla.

Runolfr
2007-08-16, 11:35 AM
Thirded

Discussion: Wouldn't it be easier for him to just take Non-Detection as a spell?

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-08-16, 11:39 AM
proposal:

Thirded to all.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 11:39 AM
Thirded

Second

Regarding taking the spell being easier, he can do that too. Besides, by level 5 he ought to have some magical thing.

Diego
2007-08-16, 11:47 AM
Proposal:

With the gold now flowing out of the small town and the construction of the docks, it is suddenly more on the maps. A businessman from Baldur's Gate sets up a small summer home and establishment to profit from the gold influx.

The businessman, Kerreth Ferrox (LE Dwarven Expert 4/Adept 2) is by training a barrister (and of course offers his service to the growing town legal system) who funds various business ventures. While of considerable means, he only takes up residence in the town for maybe 2-3 months out of the year. HOOK Ferrox makes a natural "respectable" link to Grahm, and his considerable wealth may serve as a source for Grahm having means and equipment appropriate to his level

The rest of the time his interests are overseen by Finneas Jast (LE Human Rogue 2, focused in social and craft skills) who manages a small jewler shop (3 craftsmen) as well as connections to Ferrox's business interests in Baldur's Gate. "Give me three weeks notice and a deposit and I can arrange for most anything to be brought from the city to here, for a small surcharge." As part of this business, they run a post service (primarily by pigeon). The pigeons are cared for by one of the local young Halflings from the caravan (Gina Yrtlbow, Expert 1)

elliott20
2007-08-16, 11:56 AM
Proposal:

With the gold now flowing out of the small town, it is suddenly more on the maps. A businessman from Baldur's Gate sets up a small summer home and establishment to profit from the gold influx.

The businessman, Kerreth Ferrox (LE Dwarven Expert 4/Adept 2) is by training a barrister (and of course offers his service to the growing town legal system) who funds various business ventures. While of considerable means, he only takes up residence in the town for maybe 2-3 months out of the year. HOOK Ferrox makes a natural "respectable" link to Grahm, and his considerable wealth may serve as a source for Grahm having means and equipment appropriate to his level

The rest of the time his interests are overseen by Finneas Jast (LE Human Rogue 2, focused in social and craft skills) who manages a small jewler shop (3 craftsmen) as well as connections to Ferrox's business interests in Baldur's Gate. "Give me three weeks notice and a deposit and I can arrange for most anything to be brought from the city to here, for a small surcharge." As part of this business, they run a post service (primarily by pigeon). The pigeons are cared for by one of the local young Halflings from the caravan (Gina Yrtlbow, Expert 1)

seconded, mostly because I'd like to see this development and how it plays out:

- Tobais, while trying to be hospitable and welcomes the additional resources this new merchant brings to town, also finds his company and his character somewhat distasteful. It is painfully obvious to everyone that Tobias does not really think much of this new guy and his ilk. Kerreth Ferrox, however, seems to not care one bit about this and almost enjoys the idea of being able to toy with the paladin.

as a seperate side
- Kerreth Ferrox has plans on becoming the primary controller of Tobton, and has secretly decided to start a smear campaign that will remove Tobais from power.

PsyBlade
2007-08-16, 12:25 PM
The smear campaign, I second.

Proposals
1: Amary becomes TN.
2: If the smear campaign is a go, then Amary backs up Tobias.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 12:31 PM
in my mind, I can foresee the smear campaign somehow being linked with the rising tension between the gypsies, the town and the druids. And it could perhaps be the spark that will set off a chain of events that culminates into the final confrontation that will forever change face of this little town.

puppyavenger
2007-08-16, 01:18 PM
How can you someone who through there riotiosness(sp) gives him supernatural powers?

also I thought he owns the keep and as such can't be removed from p[ower

elliott20
2007-08-16, 01:36 PM
plesae re-write that first sentence as I'm not quite sure what you're asking there.

As for the second one. point taken. There is in fact the indisputable problem of Tobais owning the keep. However, just because he owns the keep does not mean he necessarily owns the city. As of this moment, he is a respected member of his community and the leader not just because of his ownership to the keep, but also because of his reputation as a paladin and an honorable man.

Should he be discredited, chances are people will stop coming to him for advice and they will eventually alienate him socially. And when Tobais no longer feels like he belongs here, it's really not going to be all that difficult for Ferrox to persuade him to sell him the deeds to the keep before Tobais leaves.

It can be done.

All Ferrox really needs to destroy his reputation is by implicating him in some horrible crime that he might or might not be responsible for. (i.e. the murder of a small child or the embezzling of local funds.) that and he will have to find some way of making it seem like Tobais has lost his paladin powers or never had paladin powers to begin with. (i.e. he's really just a charlatan who PRETENDS to be a paladin)

internerdj
2007-08-16, 01:41 PM
riotiosness(sp)

to clarify for others:
righteousness

And puppy avenger has a point. Its pretty easy for a paladin to prove he didn't murder a small child or embezzel funds. He loses all his supernatural abilities if he is acting evil. The smear campaign could also go along the lines of either his goal for the community is to oppress everyone with good or that Tobias doesn't have the funds/experience to run a town of this size...which works well in the modern world.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 01:46 PM
that or you can try to twist it so it looks like his paladin powers are in fact NOT paladin powers. After all, not all the townsfolk are going to be fully aware of mechanics of paladinhood.

internerdj
2007-08-16, 01:49 PM
that or you can try to twist it so it looks like his paladin powers are in fact NOT paladin powers. After all, not all the townsfolk are going to be fully aware of mechanics of paladinhood.
Yes but in doing so he will also have to discredit all of the cleric types in the town. Would you mind if we put the path of discreditiing to a vote? If so you may pick the rules of this vote, since it was your idea to have the smear campaign.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 01:54 PM
Proposal:

With the gold now flowing out of the small town and the construction of the docks, it is suddenly more on the maps. A businessman from Baldur's Gate sets up a small summer home and establishment to profit from the gold influx.

Thirded

seconded, mostly because I'd like to see this development and how it plays out:

- Tobais, while trying to be hospitable and welcomes the additional resources this new merchant brings to town, also finds his company and his character somewhat distasteful. It is painfully obvious to everyone that Tobias does not really think much of this new guy and his ilk. Kerreth Ferrox, however, seems to not care one bit about this and almost enjoys the idea of being able to toy with the paladin.

as a seperate side
- Kerreth Ferrox has plans on becoming the primary controller of Tobton, and has secretly decided to start a smear campaign that will remove Tobais from power.

Thirded

The smear campaign, I second.

Proposals
1: Amary becomes TN.
2: If the smear campaign is a go, then Amary backs up Tobias.

Seconded

---------------------
Tobton Year 10, September

The mad goddess (proverbially of course) rumor dances through the streets, kitchens and parlors of the little town of Tobton. Tales of the misdeeds of their glorious paladin founder stab at the hearts of the townspeople. The crimes in question vary from account to account. Stories say he atoned. Some say he merely plays Paladin but has in fact fallen and will not accept it. Those who wish the push the false claims most simply say it doesn't matter. If he did it once, he could do it again, sorry or not. Some, like Amary Valentine, Gregory Eckson and Aust Ulma, refuse to believe the gossip, arguing hotly when anyone mentions them. Grahm openly disavows the truth of the rumors but whispers that they true are when those he knows to be supporters of Tobias are not around. Brim, not so quick on the uptake and not in Grahms good favor openly doubts the paladin's worthiness, putting him under some suspicion by those in the town loyal to Tobias. Tyrias calls for laws against openly disparaging their founder, not so much because he supports Tobias but because the first of such laws would set a precedent for later ones. Meanwhile, Jormish and his followers at the carvan add to the discontent by claiming, as they actually believe, that the previous skirmish was planned by Tobias himself. Most of the town doesn't know what, or who to belive but more and more become in one way or another financially connected to Kerreth Ferrox.

Total population 550 (82 wariors)
faimiles 125

Existing Characters:
Bromeliad Te'Lienan N Female Elven Druid 3
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2
Amary Valentine TN Human Wizard 2 (21 years old)
Several Rangers with the Bromeliad Te'Lienan Druid
Jormish Glimrock Illusionist 2 (Caravan Leader)
Finneas Jast: LE Human Rogue 2
Kerreth Ferrox: LE Dwarven Expert 4/Adept 2
Gina Yrtlbow: Female Halfling Expert 1

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
90 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Ferrox Manor

Proposals:
Some of the above skirts the line for a proposal I think. If people object in part or in whole I'll take it that way.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 01:57 PM
hey, that's fine by me. The rules stipulate that anything is up for a vote. And if it gets vetoed, so be it.

That or we can simply change it up a little

- instead of a smear campaign, Ferrox has decided that he will instead drive Tobais to discredit himself. (i.e. a la how Miko falls from paladinhood) He already has Grahm who he can use to do all the dirty work he needs.

internerdj
2007-08-16, 02:30 PM
Proposal:
Also during Late Fall year 10, a strange disease starts to creep in to town. It starts in the lower income houses which are close to the forest. Whispers start that the druid is behind it.

internerdj
2007-08-16, 02:31 PM
Proposals:
Some of the above skirts the line for a proposal I think. If people object in part or in whole I'll take it that way.
I like this version. Seconded

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 02:35 PM
Here's the thing regarding the smear on Tobias. It doesn't have to be true or stand up to scrutiny. It's a rumor. The vast majority of the population are commoners or experts at best. They have no more an idea how magic works than I have about quantam mathematics. They know it does and have a general idea what it represents but that's about it. If someone tells them that a Paladin can fake their powers or commit horrible deeds without retribution then they are probably as likley to believe it as not, depending upon who told them. The only other representitive in town with any religions standing is Garth Rek, who has a beef with Tobias and probably wouldn't defend him all that much, as Tobias fall in the eyes of the community makes it more likley that he can institute the stricter religous standards.

That said:

Proposition: Garth Rek is murdered in his sleep, his head removed and not found, before he addresses the rumors surrounding Tobias. Some suspect that Rek was going to speak out against the paladin and that Tobias set it up. Finneas Jast, commited the murder, careful to cover his tracks in the process. Kerreth Ferrox did not start the rumors surrounding Tobias involment, the townsfolk did that on their own, but seeing the opportunity he aides in its spread.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 02:48 PM
If my proposition along with AKA_Bait's are accepted:

- Tobais tries clear his name but to no avail. Much of the populace have already started to suspect Tobais to not be the benign and honorable man he really is. The town is now torn into two groups: those who side with Tobais, and those who don't. Seeing as the social elite (namely Ulma and Gregory) do side with Tobais, most of the people who do not side with him would not do so in public. But behind closed doors, many question the integrity of their leader and even the very elitie that leads the town. Some say that Tobais has become too prideful, lost his direction and has let his seniority go to his head. Even if he is still a respect member of his community, people are starting to call for a new leader. Some of the more zealous even calls the social elite naive and blind to what was obvious to them this whole time.

- With his leadership constantly questioned, Tobais finds it harder and harder for himself to exert any real influence upon the fate of the township. Just as he was afraid of, the town is slowly but surely falling under Ferrox's influence.

- Jakob Heckelson, Tobais very own paladin apprentice and squire, begins to investigate the start of these rumors as well as the murder along with Amary Valentine. They come to the twins for more information.

- While gregory knows better than to question Tobais' honor and integrity, the townfolk begins putting pressure upon him to have Tobais' arrested.

cody.burton
2007-08-16, 02:53 PM
Here's the thing regarding the smear on Tobias. It doesn't have to be true or stand up to scrutiny. It's a rumor. The vast majority of the population are commoners or experts at best. They have no more an idea how magic works than I have about quantam mathematics. They know it does and have a general idea what it represents but that's about it. If someone tells them that a Paladin can fake their powers or commit horrible deeds without retribution then they are probably as likley to believe it as not, depending upon who told them. The only other representitive in town with any religions standing is Garth Rek, who has a beef with Tobias and probably wouldn't defend him all that much, as Tobias fall in the eyes of the community makes it more likley that he can institute the stricter religous standards.

That said:

Proposition: Garth Rek is murdered in his sleep, his head removed and not found, before he addresses the rumors surrounding Tobias. Some suspect that Rek was going to speak out against the paladin and that Tobias set it up. Finneas Jast, commited the murder, careful to cover his tracks in the process. Kerreth Ferrox did not start the rumors surrounding Tobias involment, the townsfolk did that on their own, but seeing the opportunity he aides in its spread.

- Tobais tries clear his name but to no avail. Much of the populace have already started to suspect Tobais to not be the benign and honorable man he really is. The town is now torn into two groups: those who side with Tobais, and those who don't. Seeing as the social elite (namely Ulma and Gregory) do side with Tobais, most of the people who do not side with him would not do so in public. But behind closed doors, many question the integrity of their leader and even the very elitie that leads the town. Some say that Tobais has become too prideful, lost his direction and has let his seniority go to his head. Even if he is still a respect member of his community, people are starting to call for a new leader. Some of the more zealous even calls the social elite naive and blind to what was obvious to them this whole time.

- With his leadership constantly questioned, Tobais finds it harder and harder for himself to exert any real influence upon the fate of the township. Just as he was afraid of, the town is slowly but surely falling under Ferrox's influence.

- Jakob Heckelson, Tobais very own paladin apprentice and squire, begins to investigate the start of these rumors as well as the murder along with Amary Valentine. They come to the twins for more information.

- While gregory knows better than to question Tobais' honor and integrity, the townfolk begins putting pressure upon him to have Tobais' arrested.

Both seconded.

Diego
2007-08-16, 02:59 PM

STOP:
Keep a reasonable timeframe in mind here. Ferrox is dwarven and possessed of a rather long natural lifespan. While letting the rumors start and giving them a nudge here or there this is a process that would take years rather than months. Particularly given the town is 500 people - while not everyone is on a first name basis with everyone else - you at least will see most of the faces on a fairly regular basis (particularly given central gathering points like the school, market, inn, etc.). He will be better served by playing the long waiting game as the town grows (with his help and influence) and establishing himself as a pillar of the community with a few charitable works and perhaps pro-bono service for townspeople in Baldur's Gate (just because you're evil, doesn't mean you can't act like a nice guy for your own selfish reasons).

While the quoted discussion is a great idea, it is one that would better fit in Year 12-15 or even as late as 20

elliott20
2007-08-16, 03:02 PM
fair enough, I actually wasn't even thinking about the time frame there. To me, it would make sense that Ferrox would be spending a large amount of time building his financial connections with other people and doing general good works.

When I first started with the smear campaign idea, I was thinking more along the lines of just planting seeds of questioning towards his capabilities but nothing more, and letting it come to fruitition in maybe say, 4 years time.

it doesn't really matter to me. Ferrox as of right now, strikes me as the kind of guy who WOULD wait to do things.

Falconsflight
2007-08-16, 03:06 PM
STOP:
Keep a reasonable timeframe in mind here. Ferrox is dwarven and possessed of a rather long natural lifespan. While letting the rumors start and giving them a nudge here or there this is a process that would take years rather than months. Particularly given the town is 500 people - while not everyone is on a first name basis with everyone else - you at least will see most of the faces on a fairly regular basis (particularly given central gathering points like the school, market, inn, etc.). He will be better served by playing the long waiting game as the town grows (with his help and influence) and establishing himself as a pillar of the community with a few charitable works and perhaps pro-bono service for townspeople in Baldur's Gate (just because you're evil, doesn't mean you can't act like a nice guy for your own selfish reasons).

While the quoted discussion is a great idea, it is one that would better fit in Year 12-15 or even as late as 20

I'm going to assume Elliot20's post is a second, So I third.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 03:12 PM
I agree with the longer time frame to have Tobias openly questioned and his position in jeapordy. Even more so for his being asked to be arrested, since there is still no evidence, only rumor, linking him to anything.

However, obviously given my proposal, I don't think it's too early for Ferrox and his lackey to start making things look really bad for Tobias and to eliminate possible future competition for power in the town i.e. Garth Rek.

Runolfr
2007-08-16, 03:13 PM
Yes but in doing so he will also have to discredit all of the cleric types in the town. Would you mind if we put the path of discreditiing to a vote? If so you may pick the rules of this vote, since it was your idea to have the smear campaign.

I would vote against Tobias being discredited as a paladin. It would be perfectly reasonable for him to be discredited as a competent leader.

elliott20
2007-08-16, 03:18 PM
I would vote against Tobias being discredited as a paladin. It would be perfectly reasonable for him to be discredited as a competent leader.

that's really all it would take to achieve Ferrox's goal, I think. Either way, I'm all for extending the time frame and the nature of the smear. Because in the end, if Ferrox is a practical sort of fellow, he doesn't care enough to go through the trouble of destroying the paladin completely, but just enough so that he can take control of the town. And who knows, perhaps he would be able to do in a way that would convince even Tobais' himself that perhaps he's not the best person to lead.

However, for this kind of thing to work, Ferrox is really going to need a lot of finesse. And as such, I think while in the short term he'll be happy to have Grahm as his attack dog, in the long term I'm pretty certain he'll find Grahm's unpredictability to be a greater liability than an asset.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 04:02 PM
And as such, I think while in the short term he'll be happy to have Grahm as his attack dog, in the long term I'm pretty certain he'll find Grahm's unpredictability to be a greater liability than an asset.

I've kind of been assuming that Finneas Jast is already his attack dog. Why get two when you already have one. Were something to happen to Jast later...

elliott20
2007-08-16, 04:08 PM
*strokes his fu-man-chu moustache*

yes... if it were....

Well, to me, Jast seems more like his leutenant that Ferrox would have manage most of the busines and dealings while Grahm seems more like a pawn that is more or less expendable.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-16, 04:13 PM
*strokes his fu-man-chu moustache*

yes... if it were....

Well, to me, Jast seems more like his leutenant that Ferrox would have manage most of the busines and dealings while Grahm seems more like a pawn that is more or less expendable.

I sort of view Brim Greenstone in that role. But, as in all collaborative fiction, we shall see how it rolls with everyone.

puppyavenger
2007-08-16, 07:28 PM
proposal garhm's gang expands to around 20 people

proposal what about that meeting between tobais, the druid, and the halfings

elliott20
2007-08-16, 08:26 PM
proposal garhm's gang expands to around 20 people

proposal what about that meeting between tobais, the druid, and the halfings

seconded to all

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-17, 02:11 AM
Betty Billings (Teen): Human Warriors 1 (Inkeepers Kids, now 16)
Jim Billings (Teen): Human Warriors 1 (Inkeepers Kids, now 16)
erghm...I'm not to sure about warriors, maybe something else?
like Bard and Fighter maybe...

Proposal:

Old characters:
Betty Billings (Teen): Human Bard 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16 and Jakob Allmrind's Apprentice)
Jim Billings (Teen): Human Fighter 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16, learning after Dustil)

New Characters:
Dustil Linton: True Nuetral Half-Orc Fighter 6 (Teaching Jim Billings the ways of the sword, an old Friend of Jakob Allmrind from one of his Earlier Adventures)

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-17, 04:14 AM
Year 10 October

The tensions had gone to boiling point but still their wasn't the spark. Grahm though happy enough to work with the lawyer, still wanted to continue his own agenda. In the night, Grahm sent Brm on one of the most dangerous missions, after getting incredibly annoyed at him.
Brim, with a scroll of silent images went to the halfling camp, casting the spell on a caravan to make the illusion. He went into the bush to hide, seeing Brok rush in to put out the fire, he dropped the illusion and saw the first battle in the civil war.

Total population 543 (78 wariors)
faimiles 125

Existing Characters:
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
90 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Ferrox Manor

Proposal: Grahm impersonates Tobais and cuts down a tree.

(Hope noone minds it finally happened.)

sefiru
2007-08-17, 07:58 AM
Interesting developments.

Proposals:
1. Jakob Allmrind, aware of the mounting tensions and expecting even more, secretly imports a small monster to guard his mine (I'm not sure what would be appropriate here, so I'll let someone else specify. A Dire rat?)
1b. If not Jakob, have Ferrox do same to guard his place. Not both, though.

2. The Birch twins, now 9 years old, discover the monster and thus make their first venture into blackmail.

3. Also, the twins have a falling out with Grahm after he pulls one of his "pranks" on some of their friends. Yes, it's petty, but they are still in grade school. They begin feeding Grahm misinformation.

4. Noting a lack of tradespeople on the list, one of the originally unspecified settlers is Kane Hillman (LG Human Expert 1), a harness maker. He's a curmudgeon, scandalized by anything and everything (picture Miko without the power or violence). This means he disapproves of young ruffians, gypsies, city boys with money, and adventurers. However, it also means he's likely to believe those rumors about Tobias.

woc33
2007-08-17, 10:03 AM
Proposal:
The school arrenges a field trip to the forest around the area of the druid's grove. The group contains both teachers and 14 children. The entire group never came back that evening and they are all missing. Rumours in town suggest that the druid is responssible for their dissappearance, that increases the tension between the town and the druid. What really had happened is that when the group was traveling in the forest they encountered a black bear. Several days after the dissapearance the search party discovers the bodies and the investigation suggests that a bear is responsible for their deaths, which further increases the tension with the druid.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-17, 10:07 AM
Interesting developments.

Proposals:
1. Jakob Allmrind, aware of the mounting tensions and expecting even more, secretly imports a small monster to guard his mine (I'm not sure what would be appropriate here, so I'll let someone else specify. A Dire rat?)
1b. If not Jakob, have Ferrox do same to guard his place. Not both, though.

2. The Birch twins, now 9 years old, discover the monster and thus make their first venture into blackmail.

3. Also, the twins have a falling out with Grahm after he pulls one of his "pranks" on some of their friends. Yes, it's petty, but they are still in grade school. They begin feeding Grahm misinformation.

4. Noting a lack of tradespeople on the list, one of the originally unspecified settlers is Kane Hillman (LG Human Expert 1), a harness maker. He's a curmudgeon, scandalized by anything and everything (picture Miko without the power or violence). This means he disapproves of young ruffians, gypsies, city boys with money, and adventurers. However, it also means he's likely to believe those rumors about Tobias.

Second- Ferrox

Proposal:
The school arrenges a field trip to the forest around the area of the druid's grove. The group contains both teachers and 14 children. The entire group never came back that evening and they are all missing. Rumours in town suggest that the druid is responssible for their dissappearance, that increases the tension between the town and the druid. What really had happened is that when the group was traveling in the forest they encountered a black bear. Several days after the dissapearance the search party discovers the bodies and the investigation suggests that a bear is responsible for their deaths, which further increases the tension with the druid.

Second.

Jayabalard
2007-08-17, 10:38 AM
Proposal:
The school arrenges a field trip to the forest around the area of the druid's grove. The group contains both teachers and 14 children. The entire group never came back that evening and they are all missing. Rumours in town suggest that the druid is responssible for their dissappearance, that increases the tension between the town and the druid. What really had happened is that when the group was traveling in the forest they encountered a black bear. Several days after the dissapearance the search party discovers the bodies and the investigation suggests that a bear is responsible for their deaths, which further increases the tension with the druid.STOP: some tension with the druid is already established (it's been a busy week, so it's been hard to keep up, but I think that's already established), and it seems kind of absurd that there would be a field trip to that area given the potential danger, or even a field trip at all, since this isn't out modern safe world.

Also, while I agree it's possible that a single black bear could kill 16 people, it seems pretty far fetched that it would have some motivation to do so, would attack a group that large even if provoked, and succeed in killing all of them with none of them escaping. In the past century in North America, deaths from bear attacks have almost universally been single individuals or very small groups; the largest number killed in a single attack was 3. To actually kill all of them, the bear would have had to attacked, then chased down the surviving children

Lastly, I haven't seen alot on the school and how it's actually run, but unless I missed something significant (and that's possible) it's not like a modern school that has children in it all year long; they attend during the winter when the children are less busy on the farm, no? That would put this trip in the winter, and this would be a pretty rough trip in the winter, since they'd have the possibility of inclement weather; how did they travel? on foot it would be an even rougher trip, and other types of travel make the bear attack even less likely. And since it's winter, would a black bear really be out causing a ruckus?

imo: This should have been a much smaller party attacked and killed (a family traveling) ... or if you really think that there should be field trips from this sort of school into unsafe places, something much more menacing than a bear should be involved.

Runolfr
2007-08-17, 11:17 AM
imo: This should have been a much smaller party attacked and killed (a family traveling) ... or if you really think that there should be field trips from this sort of school into unsafe places, something much more menacing than a bear should be involved.

I agree with all of Jayabalard's sentiments regarding the bear attack. One black bear killing 2 adults and 14 children with no one getting away is just too far fetched: an animal doesn't have the motivation. If it were actually an evil monster of some sort, this could work, and it would still have much the same "escalation value", only this time it's obvious that the druid would have tried to intervene on their behalf, if she'd known. As it is, you just have torn up bodies found (in what might look like a bear attack) near the druid's grove.

EDIT: I propose that Tobias would want to send to Baldur's Gate for a cleric able to speak with dead to find out what really happened.

woc33
2007-08-17, 11:20 AM
STOP: some tension with the druid is already established (it's been a busy week, so it's been hard to keep up, but I think that's already established), and it seems kind of absurd that there would be a field trip to that area given the potential danger, or even a field trip at all, since this isn't out modern safe world.

Also, while I agree it's possible that a single black bear could kill 16 people, it seems pretty far fetched that it would have some motivation to do so, would attack a group that large even if provoked, and succeed in killing all of them with none of them escaping. In the past century in North America, deaths from bear attacks have almost universally been single individuals or very small groups; the largest number killed in a single attack was 3. To actually kill all of them, the bear would have had to attacked, then chased down the surviving children

Lastly, I haven't seen alot on the school and how it's actually run, but unless I missed something significant (and that's possible) it's not like a modern school that has children in it all year long; they attend during the winter when the children are less busy on the farm, no? That would put this trip in the winter, and this would be a pretty rough trip in the winter, since they'd have the possibility of inclement weather; how did they travel? on foot it would be an even rougher trip, and other types of travel make the bear attack even less likely. And since it's winter, would a black bear really be out causing a ruckus?

I agree with most of the things you said, that's why i tried to keep it general, perhaps i shouldn't have stated numbers aswell (perhaps i should of implied it was a pack of wolves instead of a bear). I also hadn't stated the time the whole thing happened, i agree it fits the summer or spring more than the winter.
Regarding the subject of field trips and modern times, the whole idea of school is somewhat new in general, before the industrial (sp?) revolution the only people who got education were the nobles. In addition, when i imagine school at times like that i don't see it as a classroom where pupils come with notebook and learn math an the like, but more of a school to life, learning the sorounding and the world around us. As i view it, school trips are very common, and perhaps most of the studies are actually done in the sorounding are and not in the town itself.

Jayabalard
2007-08-17, 05:13 PM
I agree with most of the things you said, that's why i tried to keep it general, perhaps i shouldn't have stated numbers aswell (perhaps i should of implied it was a pack of wolves instead of a bear). I also hadn't stated the time the whole thing happened, i agree it fits the summer or spring more than the winter.
Regarding the subject of field trips and modern times, the whole idea of school is somewhat new in general, before the industrial (sp?) revolution the only people who got education were the nobles. In addition, when i imagine school at times like that i don't see it as a classroom where pupils come with notebook and learn math an the like, but more of a school to life, learning the sorounding and the world around us. As i view it, school trips are very common, and perhaps most of the studies are actually done in the sorounding are and not in the town itself.That doesn't mesh not the description we have of the school so far: The growing number of children in the town has created a need for a rudimentary school during the winter months when then children are not helping their parents in the fields. It's a single (or double now if we're accepting the 2nd teacher) room schoolhouse, and they are most likely learning their letters and numbers along with music and some athletics, since they'll learn about the world around them during the spring, summer and fall when they're not at school.

Traveling is dangerous and not easy; most people are going to be traveling on foot, and that means that a single day field trip has a severely limited range. It seems highly likely that the sacred glade would be more than a couple hours walking distance. Unless you're going to propose some sort of alternative transportation that's available to the town (and that should probably be a proposal in and of itself), the idea of a significant portion of the school taking that field trip still seems pretty unreasonable.

One of the two teachers is a 6th level bard, and he's teaching his Bard and Swashbuckling skills there and has been for quite a while (~3 years), so it's not unreasonable to assume that some of the older students, may actually have a level in something other than commoner by now. It would take a reasonably significant foe for them to be overcome.

The idea of school is not new by the way... schools have existed for more than 2000 years; you can check out wikipedia for some info on Ancient Roman Schools (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_school) if you're actually interested.

woc33
2007-08-17, 06:53 PM
Forget the school trip idea, you are one hundred percent right. :smallsmile:

Diego
2007-08-17, 09:05 PM
Out of curiosity - have we actually established who Gregory Eckson is? I checked back and he's been there since the begining, apparently transplanted from an alterante universe by cut and paste.

Now he's our town sheriff and higher level than our retired adventurer who started renovating the keep a decade ago...

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-18, 02:47 AM
with all the Problems happening in town: I think that school field trip is quite retarded, I mean seriously: There are Hardly enough people to defend the 600-ish people that we have so far, let alone the stupid ones that Head out of the town.

also, I don't think that Jakob Allmrind would be that stupid, when I though of the character, I thought that he would have Avg STR, High DEX, Med CON, High INT, Avg WIS, Med CHA. that really doesn't make him stupid enough, plus he is a Gold-Mine owner and a Back-up soldier, he has quite a few responsibilities.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-18, 03:46 AM
Out of curiosity - have we actually established who Gregory Eckson is? I checked back and he's been there since the begining, apparently transplanted from an alterante universe by cut and paste.

Now he's our town sheriff and higher level than our retired adventurer who started renovating the keep a decade ago...

He came with the first group of settelers, presumbly.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-18, 08:36 AM
erghm...I'm not to sure about warriors, maybe something else?
like Bard and Fighter maybe...

Proposal:

Old characters:
Betty Billings (Teen): Human Bard 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16 and Jakob Allmrind's Apprentice)
Jim Billings (Teen): Human Fighter 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16, learning after Dustil)

New Characters:
Dustil Linton: True Nuetral Half-Orc Fighter 6 (Teaching Jim Billings the ways of the sword, an old Friend of Jakob Allmrind from one of his Earlier Adventures)

Consider please?

puppyavenger
2007-08-18, 09:27 AM
Year 10 October

The tensions had gone to boiling point but still their wasn't the spark. Grahm though happy enough to work with the lawyer, still wanted to continue his own agenda. In the night, Grahm sent Brm on one of the most dangerous missions, after getting incredibly annoyed at him.
Brim, with a scroll of silent images went to the halfling camp, casting the spell on a caravan to make the illusion. He went into the bush to hide, seeing Brok rush in to put out the fire, he dropped the illusion and saw the first battle in the civil war.

Total population 543 (78 wariors)
faimiles 125

Existing Characters:
Jakob Heckelson Pal 1
Brok Ogre Commoner 2

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
90 Homes
Graveyard
Cavervansay
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Ferrox Manor

since noone has yet seconded

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-18, 09:46 AM

Seconded.

Foolosophy
2007-08-18, 10:31 AM

Seconded.

Seconded, the boy should be a warrior though.

Istari
2007-08-18, 07:38 PM
Proposal

Are the suspions of the druid real or fact?

Proposal: How obout the family moves to town as farmers but instead,
Anna Shadowleaf 3 gleaner NG
Paul Shadowleaf 2 gleaner/1 ranger NG
William Shadowleaf 1 adapt CG

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-19, 03:50 AM
Proposal: The Miners get a Vacation, so Jakob takes the time to explore the area with Betty, he magically locks the door so nobody can get in (Grahm especially). while Adventuring they encounter the Druid that lives in the forrest: He needs some help with some bad-goings happening in the forrest, it turns out that there are some bandits near-by. some of them spot Jakob and Betty but fail to raise the alarm. Jakob and Betty head Home and Tell Tobias about the news.

Level up:
Jakob: CG Human Bard 7
Betty: NG Human Bard 2(or 3)

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-20, 01:12 AM
so... I take it that this thread is dead?

PsyBlade
2007-08-20, 01:31 AM
No, it is not dead.

kkortekaas
2007-08-20, 07:56 AM
Seems to have just kinda died.

sefiru
2007-08-20, 08:31 AM
No, it is not dead.

If you ask me, folks got into too much detail and bogged down on this whole civil war thingie. We did 9 years in 5 1/2 pages, and then, wham! Page 8 and we're not out of year 10 yet.

Proposed: Let's skip past all the who did what to who, shall we?

Second, just so we can get this over with.

Year 11, spring

The fighting has died down; a few buildings have been burned and several families have left due to the problems. Ferrox's warehouse was damaged, and he intends to lay low for a while to recover his losses and plan his next move -- preferably with less property damage and loss of investment next time.

Brok the ogre, and about equal numbers of each side (~10 people) are killed in the fighting.

After Tobias initially suppresses the violence, he sends a pleading letter to the local Druid, who agrees to use Speak To Animals to question some animal witnesses and straighten out what happened. This has the following effects:
(A) Tobias's reputation is restored to "respectable", although possibly not the grand hero he was once seen as. Also, now that the townspeople have a chance to actually see this druid, they are less likely to believe her to be sinister.
(B) Brim is now residing in the jail, but there isn't any direct evidence against Grahm, so he goes free.
(C) Aust Umla and Bromeliad begin an initially uneasy (but essentially professional and respectful) correspondence. Aust Umla also begins to communicate more frequently with the halflings of the caravan.

By planting time, things are more or less back to normal, with only the usual market chicancery going on.

Ladies and gentlemen, the next move is yours ...

Runolfr
2007-08-20, 10:06 AM
Year 11, spring

The fighting has died down; a few buildings have been burned and several families have left due to the problems. Ferrox's warehouse was damaged, and he intends to lay low for a while to recover his losses and plan his next move -- preferably with less property damage and loss of investment next time.

Brok the ogre, and about equal numbers of each side (~10 people) are killed in the fighting.

After Tobias initially suppresses the violence, he sends a pleading letter to the local Druid, who agrees to use Speak To Animals to question some animal witnesses and straighten out what happened. This has the following effects:
(A) Tobias's reputation is restored to "respectable", although possibly not the grand hero he was once seen as. Also, now that the townspeople have a chance to actually see this druid, they are less likely to believe her to be sinister.
(B) Brim is now residing in the jail, but there isn't any direct evidence against Grahm, so he goes free.
(C) Aust Umla and Bromeliad begin an initially uneasy (but essentially professional and respectful) correspondence. Aust Umla also begins to communicate more frequently with the halflings of the caravan.

By planting time, things are more or less back to normal, with only the usual market chicancery going on.

And just for formality's sake, I'll second that.

internerdj
2007-08-20, 04:19 PM
I had thought that this timeline for the battle was stopped at the beginning of the previous page as it was progressing too rapidly.

Runolfr
2007-08-20, 04:42 PM
I think the main issue was that we were digressing into the minutia too much. Sefiru is simply trying to step back to the "view from above" where this thread started.

Unless I'm mistaken, the objective here is to create a location in which DM's can set adventures. Any given DM might choose any point in the timeline, so that DM would ignore any "canon" events occurring later in the timeline. What we're building is a "historical backdrop" for an adventure setting. DM's will probably want to develop their own details from these broad strokes.

PsyBlade
2007-08-20, 05:37 PM
I concur with Runoflr.

We're building a setting, with an historical backdrop.

If a DM picks up this setting, they can decide that Amary never became good for example. They can decide that Amary's actions have an ulterior motive. Heck, the DM could put the PCs into the point in time Amary shows up. If the PCs suspect the new NE Wizard, hey easy short-term BBEG. The PCs could take over whatever good Amary was to do.

Istari
2007-08-20, 08:26 PM
If you ask me, folks got into too much detail and bogged down on this whole civil war thingie. We did 9 years in 5 1/2 pages, and then, wham! Page 8 and we're not out of year 10 yet.

Proposed: Let's skip past all the who did what to who, shall we?

Second, just so we can get this over with.

Year 11, spring

Thirded! now its offical

sefiru
2007-08-21, 12:56 AM
And I'm just a newbie, too :smalleek:

For ease of handling I've separated the character list by faction (apologies if I've mislaid anyone):

Total population: 516 (67 wariors)
Families: 120

Town Leadership & Dependents
Tobais Frostleaf: pal 10 (Local Lord)
Jakob Heckelson: Pal 1
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (21 years old)

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 19) Human Sorc 5 (Ulma's Apprentice)
Brim Greenstone: (age 17) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang)(imprisoned)

Forest Dwellers
Bromeliad Te'Lienan: N Female Elven Druid 3

Gypsy Caravan
Jormish Glimrock: Illusionist 2 (Caravan Leader)

Townspeople
Caranthir Telperiën: male elf bard 3
Drec Bloodroar: half orc barb 3
Jakob Allmrind: ?? Bard 6 (Secondary teacher)
Tyras Tiefling: Marshall 2
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 9) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)
Kane Hillman: Human LG Expert 1 (harness maker, curmudgeon)

Deceased
Brok: Ogre Commoner 2
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
79 Homes
5 Unoccupied homes (due to families leaving)
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse (damaged in fire)
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Ferrox Manor (contains 1 Dire Rat)

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-21, 03:00 AM
And I'm just a newbie, too :smalleek:

For ease of handling I've separated the character list by faction (apologies if I've mislaid anyone):

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16 and under an apprenticeship of Jakob Allmrind)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 1 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16)

Opposition

Forest Dwellers

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
Drec Bloodroar: half orc bard 3
Jakob Allmrind: Human Bard 7 (Secondary teacher, Mine owner and Betty Billings Teacher)

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
79 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop

all your mistakes are fixed.

kkortekaas
2007-08-21, 07:07 AM
Proposal
Gregory Eckson takes ill, suffering from some sort of wasting disease. Grahm and his croonies take advantage of this and muck around the town some more.

Adventure Hook:
Quest for a cure

PsyBlade
2007-08-21, 07:28 AM
Oh, what if Grahm was responsible for the illness?

Unlikely? Yes. Good story? If done right.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-21, 07:32 AM
Proposal
Gregory Eckson takes ill, suffering from some sort of wasting disease. Grahm and his croonies take advantage of this and muck around the town some more.

Adventure Hook:
Quest for a cure

Seconded, yes seconded.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-21, 09:19 AM
Proposal

Adventure Hook:
Quest for a cure

Thirded

Year 11, Fall

With Gregory Eckson falling ill the town guard begins to show signs of dissarray. Kerrth Ferrox openly suggests that Tyras be appointed temporary head of the town guard until such time as Eckson is healthy again. The situation with the Caravan and Bromilead seems to have quieted to no more than the occasional rumble about a prank or two.

Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 16 and under an apprenticeship of Jakob Allmrind)

Opposition

Forest Dwellers

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
Jakob Allmrind: Human Bard 7 (Secondary teacher, Mine owner and Betty Billings Teacher)

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
79 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop

Proposals:
1) Taking advantage of the guard's dissaray Grahm's gang engages in a late night raid on the gold mine, making off with a fair amount of gold which they launder through Finneas Jast.
2) Tobias sends a request to Baldurs gate for a high enough level cleric to identify and remove the disease on Gregory Eckson. The church of Torm replies that they cannot spare anyone at this time.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-21, 09:30 AM
1) Taking advantage of the guard's dissaray Grahm's gang engages in a late night raid on the gold mine, making off with a fair amount of gold which they launder through Finneas Jast.
2) Tobias sends a request to Baldurs gate for a high enough level cleric to identify and remove the disease on Gregory Eckson. The church of Torm replies that they cannot spare anyone at this time.

seconded

Runolfr
2007-08-21, 10:58 AM

seconded

Related Hook:

With no priests available to come to Tobton, Tobias seeks some reliable agents to travel into Baldur's Gate and purchase a scroll or potion of cure disease with which to treat Gregory.

(Various rivals of Tobias might try to prevent such an agent from succeeding if they believed they could do so without getting caught.)

sefiru
2007-08-22, 12:07 AM
Random atmospheric tangent: Haunted House & Orchard

Proposed:
One of the killed militia men's widows becomes unbalanced by grief and kills her three young children and herself. Their farmhouse consequently becomes haunted, and the apple trees planted around it grow into a tangled thicket overnight. Since the ghosts are relatively benign, doing little more than moaning, wailing and flinging apples at intruders, the town leadership and the druid leave the house alone until more pressing matters are taken care of.

Hook: unhaunting the house.

Possibly the haunted apples have some magical effect on anyone who eats them.

Beren One-Hand
2007-08-22, 01:51 AM
Proposals:

Tobias is a paladin, he can remove the disease himself.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-22, 02:06 AM

yeah, lol :p its true, I was looking itr up myself when I returned back to this page.

Emperor Demonking
2007-08-22, 02:17 AM
But can he identify it.

Proposed:
One of the killed militia men's widows becomes unbalanced by grief and kills her three young children and herself. Their farmhouse consequently becomes haunted, and the apple trees planted around it grow into a tangled thicket overnight. Since the ghosts are relatively benign, doing little more than moaning, wailing and flinging apples at intruders, the town leadership and the druid leave the house alone until more pressing matters are taken care of.

Seconded, this is in a high magic world.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-22, 07:15 AM

I had presumed that for some reason he couldn't do it himself, because of the nature of the disease, whatever that may be.

Dean Fellithor
2007-08-22, 08:06 AM
But can he identify it.

Proposed:

Seconded, this is in a high magic world.

"Your lack of Quotation boxes is disturbing!" *Force choke*

I think the Haunted house is unreasonable, I do not want.

sefiru
2007-08-22, 08:28 AM
I think the Haunted house is unreasonable, I do not want.

How is a haunted house unreasonable? :smallconfused:

This town of 500 people contains 2 paladins, 3 wizards, a druid, an illusionist, 4 bards and 2 sorcerers, one of whom is level 5 at age 19 and likes to Magic Missile the neighbor's pets. Would they even notice a haunted house? I'll bet the teenage boys dare each other to eat the haunted apples.

Runolfr
2007-08-22, 08:45 AM

Proposed:

I like. Thirded

AKA_Bait
2007-08-22, 09:49 AM

Proposed:

Fourthed. Stop without actually calling it a stop overridden.

Year 11, Winter

As the few months are peaceful and trade grows children are born and a few more families move into the town. The warehouse on the far bank of the river is repaired and with the lack of leadership in the guard Jast and Ferrox have taken to recommending the growing port to criminal associates as a place to store smuggled goods either going into or coming out of Baldur's Gate.

Gregory Eckson's mysterious disease lingers and support for Tyras taking over the guard grows. Grahm and his gang use the pilfered gold to purchase several minor magical items through Finneas Jast. Bromeliad and Umla have developed something of a penpal friendship. Bromeliad agrees to keep an eye out for unusual behavior by Grahm. Brim greenstone sends several letter pleading with Kerreth Ferrox for his release, in exchange for serving Ferrox in whatever he wants.

Total population: 610 (67 wariors)
Families: 140

Opposition

Forest Dwellers

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
79 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House

Proposals:
1) Gregory Eckson dies from the mystery disease.
2) Tyras is appointed new head of the town guard.
3) Several of the local boys eat the apples from the haunted house and are polymorphed into squirrells.
4) Kerreth Ferrox arrainges for the release of Brim who promplty tells him all he know's about Grahm's activities.

Runolfr
2007-08-22, 10:57 AM
Proposals:

I'm ambivalent about these.

3) Several of the local boys eat the apples from the haunted house and are polymorphed into squirrells.

I think a baleful polymorph is a bit strong for our fairly pathetic ghosts. Having them temporarily lose their senses, become lost, and have to be rescued by the druid would make more sense to me.

4) Kerreth Ferrox arrainges for the release of Brim who promplty tells him all he know's about Grahm's activities.

Seconded

Jayabalard
2007-08-22, 11:29 AM
Proposals:
I disagree; personally, I think that this still feels like it moving much too fast., almost as if people are trying to one up each other with major events.

If several times a year, weird, unexplained and terrible things happened the town should not be able to keep much of a population. If people decide to keep the Gregory dieing and being replaced thread, I suggest that a substantial portion of the town population, especially the people not involved in mining or trade (farmers and such), move elsewhere; an unknown disease killing someone like Gregory along with all the other weird happenings is nothing to sneeze at.

It also seems unrealistic that there isn't anyone else other than the level 7 bard who volunteers from time to time involved in the guard between levels 2 (Tyras) and 12 (Gregory). There should probably be at least a couple of existing members of the guard in the level 3 - 5 range, people who have been in the guard for more than the 2 years or so that Tyras has been in the town.

I suggest that the death and replacement get stretched out over some time as Gregory's health declines.

I think a baleful polymorph is a bit strong for our fairly pathetic ghosts. Having them temporarily lose their senses, become lost, and have to be rescued by the druid would make more sense to me.I agree

PsyBlade
2007-08-22, 11:46 AM
My agreement with the above poster's disagreements has little to do with his why for the first one. I think Tobias should be able to at least stem the illness for a while. He is a Paladin, and Paladins have healing powers. The second disagreement I concur with completely.

Jayabalard
2007-08-22, 11:49 AM
I think Tobias should be able to at least stem the illness for a while. He is a Paladin, and Paladins have healing powers. That seems pretty reasonable to me as well.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-22, 12:15 PM
Okey dokey. 1-3 are scrapped.

I haven't seen any objections to 4.

Regarding other members of the guard:

Proposal:
Thomas Jorgenson TN Human Male Warrior 4 / Fighter 2. Current second in command of the guard. Served as Eckson's hireling toward the end of his active adventuring carrear and settled down in the town when he did.

Jayabalard
2007-08-22, 01:15 PM
Proposal:
Thomas Jorgenson TN Human Male Warrior 4 / Fighter 2. Current second in command of the guard. Served as Eckson's hireling toward the end of his active adventuring carrear and settled down in the town when he did.Sounds ok to me, though we may want drop a level; seconded.

Proposals:
Over the last two years Tyras has advanced to level 4; otherwise he'd not really be much of a candidate for the guard leadership. He should advance another level over the next year or so to put him on equal footing with Thomas Jorgenson and Grahm. This is a slight retcon as he's been listed as level 2 for a while.
Tyras has been a member of the guard, and is currently Gregory's other lieutenant.
If this isn't covered elsewhere: Most of the militia members are lvl 1, the vets who have been through a few battles are are level 2, and the sergeants (5 of them? that'd be one in 12 or so) are level 3-4.

I also suggest that we avoid advancing levels much for the next year or so; the suggestions I listed was to make Tyras' level a little more consistent with the story, even though it's kind of an excessive level jump. There may need to be a few more level ups for consistency's sake, but remember that the general balance of power is:
-Town leaders: lvl 6+
-major players: level 3-5
-minor players: lvl 2-3
-common people and unnamed redshirts: lvl 1 or level 2.

kkortekaas
2007-08-22, 01:28 PM
Proposals:
Over the last two years Tyras has advanced to level 4; otherwise he'd not really be much of a candidate for the guard leadership. He should advance another level over the next year or so to put him on equal footing with Thomas Jorgenson and Grahm. This is a slight retcon as he's been listed as level 2 for a while.
Tyras has been a member of the guard, and is currently Gregory's other lieutenant.
If this isn't covered elsewhere: Most of the militia members are lvl 1, the vets who have been through a few battles are are level 2, and the sergeants (5 of them? that'd be one in 12 or so) are level 3-4.

I also suggest that we avoid advancing levels much for the next year or so; the suggestions I listed was to make Tyras' level a little more consistent with the story, even though it's kind of an excessive level jump. There may need to be a few more level ups for consistency's sake, but remember that the general balance of power is:

Seconded.
Edit - Added the Quote from above post.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-22, 01:28 PM
Sounds ok to me, though we may want drop a level; seconded.

Proposals:

Seconded all.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-23, 11:00 AM
Since I do not wish this thread to die please forgive the sin of double posting.

Year 12, Spring

As the biting winter winds melt into spring Garth Rek begins preaching the need for moral reform in the town once again urging mandatory church services. The influx of trade and transitory faces in town, coupled with the bits of crime that Grahm's gang has been up to has spurred the town to give him considerable support. Tobias, busy tending to the still weak and ill Gregory Eckson, has not been as outspoken about his pervious position.

Meanwhile, Ferrox and Jast confront Grahm and his gang with information they learned from Brim. Rather than risk exposure, especially since Ulma is already suspicious of him, he agrees to work with the dwarf.

Total population: 650
Families: 180

Town Guard
Thomas Jorgenson TN Human Male Warrior 4 / Fighter 2 (lieutenant)
Tyras Tiefling: Marshall 4 (lieutenant)
5 Level 3 Warriors (sergeants)
9 Level 2 Warriors (vets)
50 Level 1 Warriors

Opposition
Brim Greenstone: (age 17) human wizard 1 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox)

Forest Dwellers

Gypsy Caravan

Townspeople
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 10) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
112 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House

Proposals:
1) Under Ferrox orders Grahm sets murders and sets fire to the home of a newly arrived merchant from Baldur's gate who refused to deal with Ferrox.
2) Amary Valentine gains a level.

internerdj
2007-08-23, 01:43 PM
Proposals:
1) Under Ferrox orders Grahm sets murders and sets fire to the home of a newly arrived merchant from Baldur's gate who refused to deal with Ferrox.
2) Amary Valentine gains a level.

1) seconded fires but not murder. I think Grahm's first real murder should be personal.
2) seconded

Proposal:
Bromeliad and the rangers have without the town's knowledge been protecting the town from threats out of the woods even during the times of strife between the two. Bromeliad has gained a level to Druid 4.
With an easing of tensions between the city and the grove, some of the rangers have begun to occasionally come through town to trade for some rarer things they may need, such as smithwork. This has given the townsfolk a better estimate of the rangers' numbers.
Best estimates: there are
CG Male Human Ranger 2
NG Female Half-Elven Ranger 1
2 N Human Warriors 1