PDA

View Full Version : Tortle POWA is here

PeteNutButter
2017-09-15, 07:21 PM
They said it was delayed, but lo they are here!

The Tortle package is available on dmsguild, and I believe legal for AL play.

Hrugner
2017-09-15, 07:32 PM
Not exactly what I expected, but really close. No subraces options seems weird.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/221716/Tortle-Package-5e

Unoriginal
2017-09-15, 07:36 PM
Interesting.

Wonder if we're going to see more low-DEX monks, given the Tortles' different traits

PeteNutButter
2017-09-15, 07:45 PM
A monk can dip barb for a free damage and defense boost.

Great race for a str ranger.

Works for bladelocks even, if they want decent AC without MCing.

Sariel Vailo
2017-09-15, 07:50 PM
10 bucks hmm.

MinotaurWarrior
2017-09-15, 08:23 PM
Str Monk is still somewhat lacking in pull factors, imo, but for all of those who were really itching to do it, this enables it. And dragging people underwater is a nice bonus from time to time.

This is also a boost for "caster" clerics and druids.

Shell defense for 21AC and radiating damage with spirit guardians isn't bad. Neither is landing a big spell like banishment, and then withdrawing to reduce the number of concentration checks you need to make.

The shell defense feature doesn't make it clear how total the withdrawal is. I'd definitely err on the side of "Your shield is useless. Creatures you were grappling escape," but it's not written down. Real-life withdrawn turtles have shorter limbs, and their fingers/toes still poke out.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Regitnui
2017-09-16, 01:56 AM
10 bucks hmm.

With the exchange rate, I've got to pay almost 150 bucks. Somebody tell me this is more useful or bigger than the EEPC. Not that I'm heartless, but it's a bigger investment for me. And I've got no idea where I'd use tortles.

Hrugner
2017-09-16, 03:38 AM
The full preview gives you the race info, a little world info and a map. I don't know what else is in it, but the preview seems like more than enough till I hear more about the rest of it.

GorogIrongut
2017-09-16, 03:47 AM
They even allow you to directly save the Full Preview pdf that gives you the Tortle race information. Which sounds fun.

jaappleton
2017-09-16, 08:27 AM
I paid the $10 for it.

I'm slightly... slightly upset that basically its just the Tortle race is all I'd find to be useful. There's some maps and some information on Tortle guides the party can hire as well, and about 4 or 5 monster stat blocks. Nothing I found particularly useful for a Druid's Wild Shape.

Though I did come across one thing...

Strictly speaking, RAW, you retain your racial feature if you Wild Shape. Right? Pretty much everything but Darkvision. A Half-Orc keeps his ability to go to 1HP if he's a Wild Shaped Bear, after all.

So...

Anything a Tortle wild shapes into would have a base AC of 17, right?

nickl_2000
2017-09-16, 08:31 AM
SNIP

So...

RAW, probably, but if I tried to pull that off my DM would likely throw a full set of dice at me.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-16, 08:33 AM

Only if you wildshape into something that that form is capable of. Is a bear capable of having a turtle shell? I'd think not, although the image is cool...

MinotaurWarrior
2017-09-16, 08:45 AM
Only if you wildshape into something that that form is capable of. Is a bear capable of having a turtle shell? I'd think not, although the image is cool...

What if I wildshape into a turtle?

jaappleton
2017-09-16, 08:48 AM
You guys have never heard of a Tortlebear? A tortlepus? A Dire Tortle Wolf?

I don't know what MM you guys are reading >_>

Regitnui
2017-09-16, 08:50 AM
about 4 or 5 monster stat blocks.

Which monsters? I love having new monsters.

WickerNipple
2017-09-16, 08:52 AM
Base walking speed of 30? Comeon.

jaappleton
2017-09-16, 08:56 AM
Which monsters? I love having new monsters.

Decapus (monstrosity, I think), Geonid (elemental), Topi (undead) for Monsters

Tortle, Tortle Druid for Humanoids

NecroDancer
2017-09-16, 09:07 AM
My tortle is a shadow monk that was trained by a wererat.

rooneg
2017-09-16, 09:31 AM
They make awesome Druids, since you weren't getting any reasonable armor anyway as a Druid and now you can even dump DEX. Similarly, great clerics as long as you're talking about a domain that didn't give you heavy armor proficiency.

Beyond that, maybe a STR based Rogue or a Rogue/Barbarian grappler?

Mostly, I'm hoping that there are some subclasses in XGE that mesh better with Tortles. I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a good Monk build for them right now.

Regitnui
2017-09-16, 11:13 AM
Decapus (monstrosity, I think), Geonid (elemental), Topi (undead) for Monsters

Tortle, Tortle Druid for Humanoids

Hm... Are they worth 150 bucks...?:smallconfused:

jaappleton
2017-09-16, 11:17 AM
Hm... Are they worth 150 bucks...?:smallconfused:

No. No, they are not.

Also, as a side note, Jeremy Crawford decided to ruin my fun and confirm that the AC 17 doesn't work in Wild Shape.

Confirmed: JC hates fun. :smalltongue:

Additionally, the fact that they are somehow more agile than Dwarves as far as movement speed is concerned is just baffling.

Regitnui
2017-09-16, 11:21 AM
the fact that they are somehow more agile than Dwarves as far as movement speed is concerned is just baffling.

They roll forwards. Or slide on their bellies like penguins.

Naanomi
2017-09-16, 12:49 PM
I have pet tortoises, not slow for their size at all

RazDelacroix
2017-09-16, 02:40 PM
I now want to play a Tortle Artificer, of the thunder cannon variety. With a penchant for ice and water attacks. Probably name him something awesome like... Blast-something...

jaappleton
2017-09-16, 06:23 PM
I now want to play a Tortle Artificer, of the thunder cannon variety. With a penchant for ice and water attacks. Probably name him something awesome like... Blast-something...

This actually took me a second, but I'm ashamed I didn't think of it myself.

nickl_2000
2017-09-16, 07:09 PM

Make sure it is low intelligence so that the only word it can speak is it own name

RazDelacroix
2017-09-16, 09:53 PM
Make sure it is low intelligence so that the only word it can speak is it own name

What? No! The name shall be the command word to activate the raging-death-tsunami-cannons! Silly people thinking Tortles are dumb! :smalltongue:

SharkForce
2017-09-17, 03:53 PM
What? No! The name shall be the command word to activate the raging-death-tsunami-cannons! Silly people thinking Tortles are dumb! :smalltongue:

better start it off with a fighter dip though, so that you can say it was formerly a tortle of war ;)

Ventruenox
2017-09-17, 04:30 PM
better start it off with a fighter dip though, so that you can say it was formerly a tortle of war ;)

With Magic Initiate: Druid/wizard for Shape Water. You can control the flow to squirt at your enemies.

War_lord
2017-09-17, 04:52 PM
$10 seems a little steep for what you actually get. One race, three rejected monsters and two NPC statblocks for 1/6 of a book? Pass.

NecroDancer
2017-09-17, 07:15 PM
$10 seems a little steep for what you actually get. One race, three rejected monsters and two NPC statblocks for 1/6 of a book? Pass.

The money goes to charity.

8wGremlin
2017-09-17, 11:04 PM
Tortle Arcana cleric is pretty good, AC 19 with shell and shield.
str:16, con: 14, Wis 16, is a good start.
Survival as a starting skill
Claws: (1d4+str) slash - so you're never unarmed.
Add in booming blade, and chill touch keying of Wisdom and you're good to go.

play it as a shaman/witch doctor mystic type...

Harrumphreys
2017-09-18, 04:58 AM
I, too, have looked at a Tortle Cleric and the witch-doctor vibes sit well with a Cleric of Death. Martial weapons, 'twinned' Toll the Dead, good AC to help survival after delivering Touch range spells etc. Aesthetics would be the Tortle's Holy Symbol is a Voodoo doll, mossy shell, snapping swamp turtle jawline. Great!

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-18, 06:54 AM
The money goes to charity.

Thank you for bringing this up

Sir cryosin
2017-09-18, 07:37 AM
Str based bladesinger....

darjr
2017-09-20, 12:12 AM
I'm running the Adventure that's in it for an AL table tomorrow.

Zejety
2017-09-20, 01:24 AM

Haven't bought it yet, but isn't there also an adventure location/encounter?

Sorlock Master
2017-09-20, 01:34 AM
My tortle is a shadow monk that was trained by a wererat.

Oh thank god im not the only one. First chance I get its happening. Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle Team.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-20, 06:27 AM

There is a location, some NPCs, and some new monsters as well.

nickl_2000
2017-09-20, 07:05 AM
Oh thank god im not the only one. First chance I get its happening. Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle Team.

1) Kensei Monk/Rogue who is focused on a re-fluffed Longsword (High Charisma, inspiring leader feat)
2) A Shadow Monk/Artificer who uses a quarterstaff (High Intelligence)
3) A Shadow Monk/Rogue who dual wields modified daggers (Low Charisma, high Dex, bad attitude)
4) A Shadow Monk/Bard who wields a modified Club (High Charisma)

Naanomi
2017-09-20, 07:37 AM
4) A Shadow Monk/Bard who wields a modified Club (High Charisma)
Depending on portrayal, arguably the least sneaky and perhaps a better 'open hand' than shadow

nickl_2000
2017-09-20, 08:10 AM
Depending on portrayal, arguably the least sneaky and perhaps a better 'open hand' than shadow

Strong point there. I'm curious to make a full build now.

darjr
2017-09-21, 12:06 AM

There is an 'adventure' location and I've started my ToA campaign with it. First session was tonight and it went well.

RazDelacroix
2017-09-21, 10:24 AM
I am terribly sorry, but my thoughts went to weird places and realized that we have too many tortle's in one place. We obviously need a team of scalies though! Yet in what roles I have yet to decide... Still, let's have a four-man team made up of-

Dragonborn, Lizardfolk, Kobold, and our team favorite the Tortle!