PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a cleric domain

Palrenzor
2017-09-15, 10:47 PM
So I'm making a cleric for a group. It's heavy rp so I am makin a half elf cleric. I'm not sure on the god or the domain. However he is the kind of cleric that drinks so he can tell his flock how horrible it is. He whores so he can tell the kids to wait because of all the bad stuff. Kinda like a "how do I know it's bad if I don't do it?" Or "if I drink all the ale here, then no one else has the temptation to do it cause it's all gone".

So I would love some input on what gods I should consider and what domains. None of domains in the phb really fit with this concept. Please help!

Varlon
2017-09-16, 12:24 AM
If he truly believes such things, I could actually see Ilmater working really well for this.

BillyBobShorton
2017-09-16, 07:08 AM
OJ Simpson, Jared Fogel, and Bill Cosby all come to mind as possible dieties who scream, "trust me, don't do this."

But srsly, I vote Oghma. Knowledge Domain Cleric may be the most under-appreciated/unrecognized subclass in the game (free mind control-whaaaat?)

Thematically, the character concept is a fun RP situation, although I would suggest not using it as a license to do whatever you want for the sake of saying, "See this, everyone? Using charm spells to have a 3 way is bad! Don't kill bar commoners for sport-it's not nice! Eating all the beef on a buffet line like me is a **** move, so be considerate! When enemies beg for genuine mercy or surrender, I usually just laugh & slay them and make necklaces out of their eyeballs; this is bad, mmmkay? Smoking crack is terrible so just hand it over to me so I can party down and save your souls."

Maybe he starts out as a hack, thinking he's making a personal sacrifice to "learn life lessons" but at some point realizes it's just an excuse for gluttony and begins to shift toward leading by example.

Like the movie cop hero who is a drunk because "ppl just don't know what it's like dealing with this job" but by the end of the movie he grows and sobers up and is laser-focused, almost reborn into his full potential as a "real hero" instead of a wine-o with a badge.

If your DM is story-oriented, you should discuss having some kind of story arc. Starting out as one thing and slowly becoming something better is great storytelling and saves you and the party from your schtick getting old and worn out, and by the end, it's much more rewarding.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!