PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Exotic Weapon Feats and Weapons Plus a Few Others

BRKNdevil
2017-09-15, 11:47 PM
Got bored, figured I'd take a crack at Exotic Weapons. Should work with regular rules.

BRKNdevil
2017-09-15, 11:48 PM
Feats
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (EWP)
Gain Proficiency in 3 Exotic Weapons. You can use the weapons in the entirety of their function.
Add 1 point to Strength or Dexterity to a maximum of 20.

Island of Blades
While you are adjacent to an ally, you are treated as having an advantage against any opponent you both threaten.

Martial Mastery
You are able to Flurry with Monk Weapons in addition to your Unarmed Strike.
Add 1 point to Wisdom or Dexterity to a maximum of 20.

Removed Two Handed Mastery, Considering it generally better then Polearm Mastery. Will probably suggest to friend later to just open it up for all Two-Handed and Versatile weapons since Group at Large is more of a Martial bent when it comes to influences.
Made Island of Blades just straight Advantage
Reduced Martial Mastery to just Monk Weapons and gave it a +1

BRKNdevil
2017-09-15, 11:49 PM
Exotic Weapon List

Tonfa
You can use this weapon as a Club without EWP. It counts as a Monk Weapon.
With EWP, You gain a Shield Bonus of 1 for each one Wielded. You can also add any enchanted magic value to your AC as if you were wielding a Magic Shield (using the higher of the two if both are enchanted). It doesn’t stack with a shield.

Longsword
It is treated as normal without EWP.
With EWP, you can treat the weapon as having Finesse and Heavy (while wielding it in both hands) whenever it would be to your advantage. You can use a Bonus Action to gain Reach till then end of your turn; the damage type changes to Piercing.

Whip or Rope Weapons
Whip is treated as normal without EWP.
With EWP, you can treat a Whip as a Monk Weapon. You can change the damage type by changing the end point of the whip. You can attach it to a Light weapon and use it as Light Weapon for Two-Weapon Fighting. You can spend a Bonus Action to gain an Advantage on One Attack. Alternatively, if you can make multiple attacks with your Attack Action, you can give up one of your attacks to do the same.

Net and Trident
Treated as Normal without EWP.
With EWP, gain proficiency with both if you didn’t have it already. The Net is treated as a Light Weapon when used along with any weapon with the Thrown and Versatile properties. Weapon with Thrown and Versatile Properties is treated as Light as long as it is held One-Handed. Net gains a New DC of (8+Proficiency Bonus+ Str or Dex) and it’s rolled against Dex or Str (Target’s Choice). It can affect a target of one size larger than the user. You can throw it as a Bonus Action, or as part of an Attack Action (if your Attack Action allows multiple Attacks, you can use one of those Attacks to do this as well), if you succeed with a hit; you can immediately follow up with movement and an attack from your other weapon as part of that action.

San Jie Gun (3 Section Staff)
Treated as a Flail without EWP.
With EWP, It is treated as a Versatile (1d10), Reach Weapon, or as Two Weapons with the Light Property. It is a Monk Weapon. While Wielding as Two Weapons, you are treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting Style (PHB72). Otherwise you are treated as having Great Weapon Fighting.

Exotic Weapon Fists

Tiger’s Claws to Dragon Grasps Enlightenment to Held in Dragon’s Nest
You Trap your opponent in your tiger’s claw, grappling them till you trap them at your feet, ready for your next opponent.

You Gain Proficiency in Unarmed Strike and it goes up to 1d4 P if you didn’t have it before. If you are a Monk(or a similar ability as a Monk’s Martial Arts), you can choose Piercing or Bludgeoning for your Unarmed Strike.
If you do damage with 2 or more Unarmed Strikes in a round, you can initiate a grapple check (Str; Athletics) with an Advantage. If you succeed, your target is considered grappled and prone, but you may otherwise act normally. If you move or are moved without moving your target, the target is automatically freed.

Water Grinds the Mountain Down
You use Softness to counter the Hard, moving to unbalance your foe when opportunity strikes.

You can use Dodge as a Reaction or Bonus Action.
You gain a special Attack option on any opponent who attacks but does not hit you. When you Attack a target who had has attacked you but did not hit you (with any attack), instead of damage, you can have the target roll a Acrobatics(Dex) save (8 + Prof. Bonus + Dex or Str Mod) or fall Prone. If the target attacked you multiple times and missed all of them, they gain a Disadvantage on this roll.
You can only use this technique in Light or No Armor.

What’s Light is Heavy, What’s Heavy is Light
You can treat a weapon without the Heavy Property as having Heavy, and a Weapon with the Heavy Property as not having it, at any time you are not duel wielding.

Made Edits to Longsword to go with another way the weapon is sometimes used, added caveat to Tonfa, disagreed with needed second enchantment for AC only thing
Rope and Whip was changed to Advantage for 1 Attack
09192017 Added some items

JNAProductions
2017-09-16, 12:00 PM
Two-Handed Mastery is polearm master, but better, for raw DPR.

Island Of Blades only works with flanking, which is a HORRIBLE variant rule.

Martial Mastery is pretty ridiculous too-that gives you (as a VHuman) two greatsword attacks at level 1, with the option to Flurry for three attacks starting at level 2.

Tonfa seems okay-I'd specify it does not stack with a real shield, though (preventing you from gaining +3) and that it has to be specifically enchanted as a defensive item to gain the AC bonus.

Longsword is ridiculous. Don't give an absolutely free, no strings attached, bonus action attack. You know what else does that? FRENZY BARBARIAN. And that gives you exhaustion!

Whip/Rope seems fine, I guess? I'd never bother spending a feat to use it, since few enemies have shields.

Net/Trident combo seems okay, maybe. Needs playtesting.

San Jie Gun is basically spending a feat to gain the Two Weapon Fighting Style. Which is fine.

Overall, most of this stuff is borked.

BRKNdevil
2017-09-16, 01:44 PM
Made Changes in Response

Rerem115
2017-09-16, 03:37 PM
I know it's minor and pretty niche, but your Tonfas are straight up the best defensive option available for PCs. With one in each hand, you have an AC bonus of +2. With the Dual Wielder feat, that becomes +3. It's slightly better than any other option, but since it only has Club stats (1d4) for damage, I'd probably allow it.

However, the stacking "double dip" of magical enhancement bonuses is a slippery slope to tread. If you get your hands on a pair of +1 Tonfas (I know 5e can be pretty sparse with its magical weapons, but if you're using these rules, you're using homebrew anyway and will probably want to upgrade the special features you gave the players), you have an AC bonus of +4 just from your weapons, scaling all the way up to +6 with a pair of +3s. I'd suggest removing the enhancement bonus adding to your AC; yes, you lose out to magic shields, but that's a reasonable trade off considering you're using two weapons, which can also be used to deal damage.

BRKNdevil
2017-09-16, 03:55 PM
I know it's minor and pretty niche, but your Tonfas are straight up the best defensive option available for PCs. With one in each hand, you have an AC bonus of +2. With the Dual Wielder feat, that becomes +3. It's slightly better than any other option, but since it only has Club stats (1d4) for damage, I'd probably allow it.

However, the stacking "double dip" of magical enhancement bonuses is a slippery slope to tread. If you get your hands on a pair of +1 Tonfas (I know 5e can be pretty sparse with its magical weapons, but if you're using these rules, you're using homebrew anyway and will probably want to upgrade the special features you gave the players), you have an AC bonus of +4 just from your weapons, scaling all the way up to +6 with a pair of +3s. I'd suggest removing the enhancement bonus adding to your AC; yes, you lose out to magic shields, but that's a reasonable trade off considering you're using two weapons, which can also be used to deal damage.

I thought AC magic bonuses don't stack and thus didn't write it as such. Or is that a contested thing? It should be just the Highest Magic Bonus not the sum of

Rerem115
2017-09-16, 04:54 PM
Magical bonuses to AC do stack; a +3 armor and a +3 shield give a cumulative +6 bonus to AC, at least AFAIK.

As written, Tonfas function like dual wielding Defenders, where each one gives a separate and cumulative bonus to AC.

BRKNdevil
2017-09-16, 05:15 PM
but two shields don't stack so it would be the same as having a +3 shield and theoretical armor as well

Also, huh, have been playing with Highest Magic Bonus only.
must have interpreted incorrectly

Rerem115
2017-09-16, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. I suppose the "functions as a magic shield bit" does stop the stacking, but if you want to really drive that home, you might want to specify that you only get the AC bonus of one magic Tonfa.

spinningdice
2017-09-18, 06:59 AM
I like the idea of weapons having specific feats for them (I've liked it since it was a heavy feature in Spycraft/Fantasycraft and have been contemplating adding them. It's slightly annoying that D&D5e didn't add a nice way of categorising weapons neater (i.e. applying a feat to any axe isn't so easy without listing them all).

BRKNdevil
2017-09-18, 09:49 AM
They addressed that in one of the Unearthed Arcana posts. They didn't want to have feats that felt too specific and would eventually fall to the way side. So I figured I'd slightly model it after the Martial feat of the same type and then add the different stuff for each weapon instead. 3 felt like a good number but if people feel like its competing it could be increased or decreased.

Now i'm trying to figure Tiger Hook Swords and Nunchaku. Also, something like Martial Unarmed Styles

Something like Tiger's Claws, Dragon's Tail
Unarmed strike leads to free grapple with some bonus of sort, which would leave you imobile but not prone or sorts and free strikes and Piercing damage considering the hand form

BRKNdevil
2017-09-19, 10:26 PM
Thought of some new Exotic Weapon Items, this time in the form of Martial Techniques

Exotic Weapon Fists

Tiger’s Claws to Dragon Grasps Enlightenment to Held in Dragon’s Nest
You Trap your opponent in your tiger’s claw, grappling them till you trap them at your feet, ready for your next opponent.

You Gain Proficiency in Unarmed Strike and it goes up to 1d4 P if you didn’t have it before. If you are a Monk(or a similar ability as a Monk’s Martial Arts), you can choose Piercing or Bludgeoning for your Unarmed Strike.
If you do damage with 2 or more Unarmed Strikes in a round, you can initiate a grapple check (Str; Athletics) with an Advantage. If you succeed, your target is considered grappled and prone, but you may otherwise act normally. If you move or are moved without moving your target, the target is automatically freed.

Water Grinds the Mountain Down
You use Softness to counter the Hard, moving to unbalance your foe when opportunity strikes.

You can use Dodge as a Reaction or Bonus Action.
You gain a special Attack option on any opponent who attacks but does not hit you. When you Attack a target who had has attacked you but did not hit you (with any attack), instead of damage, you can have the target roll a Acrobatics(Dex) save (8 + Prof. Bonus + Dex or Str Mod) or fall Prone. If the target attacked you multiple times and missed all of them, they gain a Disadvantage on this roll.
You can only use this technique in Light or No Armor.

What’s Light is Heavy, What’s Heavy is Light
You can treat a weapon without the Heavy Property as having Heavy, and a Weapon with the Heavy Property as not having it, at any time you are not duel wielding.