PDA

View Full Version : Spider Climb differences

Zalabim
2017-09-16, 07:12 AM
First, this is the Giant Spider. Essentially the progenitor of spider climbing in the book. It has Speed 30 ft., Climb 30 ft. and Spider Climb. "The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check."

This is the spell Spider Climb. "Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch gains the ability to move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings, while leaving its hands free. The target also gains a climbing speed equal to its walking speed."

Then jumping to the DMG for the magic items, these are Slippers of Spider Climbing. "While you wear these light shoes, you can move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings, while leaving your hands free. You have a climbing speed equal to your walking speed. However the slippers don't allow you to move this way on a slippery surface, such as one covered by ice or oil."

Clearly, the Giant Spider can handle climbs that would normally require a Strength (athletics) check without needing to make a check, such as slippery surfaces. The spell only says it allows faster movement (due to climb speed) and keeping your hands free. It appears it does not allow you to climb any better. The slippers say the same thing as the spell but also add that they fail to work on slippery surfaces.

So Spider Climb, the spell, does not negate the need for checks for difficult climbs. Is it supposed to?

Unoriginal
2017-09-16, 07:29 AM
First, this is the Giant Spider. Essentially the progenitor of spider climbing in the book. It has Speed 30 ft., Climb 30 ft. and Spider Climb. "The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check."

This is the spell Spider Climb. "Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch gains the ability to move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings, while leaving its hands free. The target also gains a climbing speed equal to its walking speed."

Then jumping to the DMG for the magic items, these are Slippers of Spider Climbing. "While you wear these light shoes, you can move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings, while leaving your hands free. You have a climbing speed equal to your walking speed. However the slippers don't allow you to move this way on a slippery surface, such as one covered by ice or oil."

Clearly, the Giant Spider can handle climbs that would normally require a Strength (athletics) check without needing to make a check, such as slippery surfaces. The spell only says it allows faster movement (due to climb speed) and keeping your hands free. It appears it does not allow you to climb any better. The slippers say the same thing as the spell but also add that they fail to work on slippery surfaces.

So Spider Climb, the spell, does not negate the need for checks for difficult climbs. Is it supposed to?

Let's look at the rules on climbing:

CLIMBING, SWIMMING. AND CRAWLING
While climbing or swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain), unless a creature has a climbing or swimming speed. At the DM's option, climbing a slippery vertical surface or one with few handholds requires a successful Strength (Athletics) check

Now, as you quoted: "one willing creature you touch gains the ability to move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings, while leaving its hands free. The target also gains a climbing speed equal to its walking speed."

Ie the spell Spider Climb let you walk on walls and ceilings without needing to use your hands, which negates the "vertical surface" and the "with few handholds" exemples as to why you'd need a Str(Athletics) check, and it gives you a climbing speed, which negates the extra foot cost.

HOWEVER, it does not negate if the surface you're walking on is a difficult terrain or slippery.

Meaning that the spell Spider Climb does indeed negate most of the need for check for difficult climbs, but a DM could ask you for a check if you're trying to walk on a difficult-to-walk-on surface.

Millstone85
2017-09-16, 10:22 AM
Spider Climb let you walk on walls and ceilings without needing to use your handsI had the opposite interpretation of "while leaving its hands free". I took it to mean that you must leave your hands free, i.e. not hold or wield anything, so you can put them on the wall or ceiling.

LordVonDerp
2017-09-16, 11:46 AM
I had the opposite interpretation of "while leaving its hands free". I took it to mean that you must leave your hands free, i.e. not hold or wield anything, so you can put them on the wall or ceiling.

Not really a matter of interpretation

...and upside down along ceilings, while leaving its hands free.

Note the comma, as well as the fact that it says "while leaving its hands free" rather than "while its hands are free".

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-16, 12:01 PM
I had the opposite interpretation of "while leaving its hands free". I took it to mean that you must leave your hands free, i.e. not hold or wield anything, so you can put them on the wall or ceiling.

I would expect that if that were intended, the spell would read more like

"as long as its hands are free" or "The creature must keep its hands free while climbing in this manner."

As it reads now, I can't see any other explanation than the "sticky feet" one--you can walk normally along the ceiling or walls, etc.