PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is normal human pretty darn good for a MC fetishist?

Spacehamster
2017-09-16, 08:16 AM
I mean with the stat line 16/14/14/14/12/9 after racials from point buy you can MC into everything xcpt 1 stat(if you take a half feat for your 12 stat), if you take 2 levels warlock you can even get better darkvision so you dont suffer from that lack, but in any case this makes silly builds like 6 paladin, 2 fighter, 4 assassin, 10 warlock perfectly playable with a maxed "attack stat" and two more ASI's or feats to flesh out your silly MAD build.

Defo see why they aint the best for single class but if you want to do something crazy/silly they are the go to race imo. :) oh and aware that the way I lined up the stats does not allow for my example build I just put them in order from highest to lowest. :)

Tanarii
2017-09-16, 08:38 AM
16/16/16/9/9/9 seems like it'd be pretty good for single class HA Clerics, Paladins, Monks, and Rangers. Str/Con/Cha for Pally, Dex/Con/Wis for a Ranger or Monk, Str/Con/Wis for HA Clerics. And humans are the only race that can start with 3 16s. Of course, that becomes moot at level 4 if your first ASI is going to be an ASI instead of a feat. At that point +1 x3 vs +2/+1 become identical 18/16/16.

16/16/14/12/10/9 looks pretty nice for Bladelocks and and Valor Bards, Str/Cha/(Dex or Con)/(Con or Dex). I mean, it's your fourth ability score getting boosted compared to 16/16/14/10/8/8, but having +1 con per level or +1 AC is pretty big deal.

WickerNipple
2017-09-16, 08:46 AM
Defo see why they aint the best for single class but if you want to do something crazy/silly they are the go to race imo. :)

Not really. Multiple MC dips makes you feat starved, and so you need the free feat to make the build come online in a timely fashion. Stats are pretty far down on the worry list in 5e.

Spacehamster
2017-09-16, 08:51 AM
Not really. Multiple MC dips makes you feat starved, and so you need the free feat to make the build come online in a timely fashion. Stats are pretty far down on the worry list in 5e.

How does it make you feat starved? Sure if you leave everything at level 3 or something it will be an issue, I meant proper builds that lets you at the very least 4 ASI's, not those crack dream of highest possible nova damage in one round that combines half of the classes in the game but leaves you with 1 ASI. :p

And is not stats the most important thing with bounded accuracy being what it is, those extra +1 to saves and such would make for a huge impact over the game, an impact that is not bombastic or "fun" but a big impact nevertheless. :)

Spacehamster
2017-09-16, 08:52 AM
16/16/16/9/9/9 seems like it'd be pretty good for single class HA Clerics, Paladins, Monks, and Rangers. Str/Con/Cha for Pally, Dex/Con/Wis for a Ranger or Monk, Str/Con/Wis for HA Clerics. And humans are the only race that can start with 3 16s. Of course, that becomes moot at level 4 if your first ASI is going to be an ASI instead of a feat. At that point +1 x3 vs +2/+1 become identical 18/16/16.

16/16/14/12/10/9 looks pretty nice for Bladelocks and and Valor Bards, Str/Cha/(Dex or Con)/(Con or Dex). I mean, it's your fourth ability score getting boosted compared to 16/16/14/10/8/8, but having +1 con per level or +1 AC is pretty big deal.

Half elf can start with 3 16's too with the "drawback" that one of the 16s have to be in CHA. :)

WickerNipple
2017-09-16, 08:54 AM
How does it make you feat starved? Sure if you leave everything at level 3 or something it will be an issue, I meant proper builds that lets you at the very least 4 ASI's, not those crack dream of highest possible nova damage in one round that combines half of the classes in the game but leaves you with 1 ASI. :p

The most common "multiple multi-classes" I see are like X 17/ X 1/ X 2.

You are quite feat starved in the beginning for those as you're getting all the dips out of the way to make the character come online.

Naanomi
2017-09-16, 09:04 AM
Tritons also can get 3x16s

Spacehamster
2017-09-16, 09:07 AM
The most common "multiple multi-classes" I see are like X 17/ X 1/ X 2.

You are quite feat starved in the beginning for those as you're getting all the dips out of the way to make the character come online.

Ah I count that as single class with dipping when it's just like 2-4 out of your total class levels that are of another class than your starting class. :)

Corran
2017-09-16, 09:09 AM
...but in any case this makes silly builds like 6 paladin, 2 fighter, 4 assassin, 10 warlock perfectly playable with a maxed "attack stat" and two more ASI's or feats to flesh out your silly MAD build.

Played something along these lines. The variant was by far the better chocie, IMO. As long as you plan on taking one feat (which is relatively important), the variant does the job better, even for weird multiclass builds. Especially for weird multiclass builds, that usually get feats/ASI's in a slower rate.

Spacehamster
2017-09-16, 09:44 AM
Played something along these lines. The variant was by far the better chocie, IMO. As long as you plan on taking one feat (which is relatively important), the variant does the job better, even for weird multiclass builds. Especially for weird multiclass builds, that usually get feats/ASI's in a slower rate.

Variant better early game, normal human better in the long run I would say

MinotaurWarrior
2017-09-16, 10:48 AM
I wonder what the utility of an all-classer would be at the earliest level (12).

Your stats are 13/13/13/13/13/15. Probably want the 15 in STR for heavy armor.

Class features:

2 Rages, +2
Barb Unarmored defense.
2 Bard cantrips, 4 Bard spells known.
1d6 bardic inspiration.
3 Cleric cantrips, all 1st-level cleric spells.
Domain feature. I'd probably go with life, just because it doesn't depend on WIS.
2 druid cantrips, all 1st-level druid spells
Druidic
Fighting style. I'd go defense, since you're not getting extra attacks.
Martial arts 1d4
Monk Unarmored defense
Divine Sense
Lay on Hands 5hp
Favored Enemy
Natural Explorer
2 Expertise
Sneak attack 1d6
Theive's Cant
4 Sorceror Cantrips, 2 Sorcerer Spells known
Sorcerous Origin Feature: I'd definitely go WM. Draconic is fluff + Useless AC at level 1
2 Warlock cantrips, 2 warlock Spells known, 1 Warlock spell slot
Otherworldly Patron: I guess I'd go GoO. 2HP from fiend won't do much.
3 Wizard Cantrips
Arcane Recovery 1
5 skill proficiencies
4|3|3 spell slots, as a 6th level caster

Obviously, you suck. The monk levels in particular contribute almost nothing.

That being said, you're not totally useless:

1) You are a pretty great grappler. +10 with advantage in rage, or +10 with them disadvantaged using Hex. You can also burn bardic inspiration and Tides for +10+1d6 w/advantage, enemy at disadvantage.
2) You have an immense variety of cantrips, giving you a lot of versatility.
3) Armor of Agathys 15pts +Rage Resistance is cool
4) 21AC + Shield + Shield of Faith
5) You can use Hex + EB for 3d10+3d6. Your aim is bad, and that's not amazing damage, but it's something

Citan
2017-09-16, 12:02 PM
I mean with the stat line 16/14/14/14/12/9 after racials from point buy you can MC into everything xcpt 1 stat(if you take a half feat for your 12 stat), if you take 2 levels warlock you can even get better darkvision so you dont suffer from that lack, but in any case this makes silly builds like 6 paladin, 2 fighter, 4 assassin, 10 warlock perfectly playable with a maxed "attack stat" and two more ASI's or feats to flesh out your silly MAD build.

Defo see why they aint the best for single class but if you want to do something crazy/silly they are the go to race imo. :) oh and aware that the way I lined up the stats does not allow for my example build I just put them in order from highest to lowest. :)
Yeah, you are right, it's the best race when you want "crazy multiclass", with crazy being defined as "need 3 stats + CON".
For example, the dready funky Paladin / Monk multiclass (although a good case could be made on Half-Elf for this one), or a Barbarian / CHA or INT caster (Barbarian wants good STR and CON, decent DEX, not dumped WIS).

It's a great way for example to make a strong EK gish that ditches his last 4-5 levels to instead grab a few frontloaded dips in different casters (WIS/INT, WIS/CHA, INT/CHA).

Besides that, it's always the best race to pick when you rolled stats with either a majority of odd scores, or at least 3 of them equal or above 15 (because that "1" point from race would actually cost 3+ points if you had to buy it).

Now, giving you actual examples of builds (= not theorycraft fun) where I would actually be happy to pick normal Human over any other race, if we use point-buy system... Cannot find one in my head right now. That probably tells something... XD

Ninja-Radish
2017-09-16, 01:13 PM
Getting a bonus to every stat is really good for MAD builds and multiclassing for sure. Normal humans get a bad rap because they're very dull and don't have any cool powers. They're not useless though.

Spacehamster
2017-09-16, 02:12 PM
Getting a bonus to every stat is really good for MAD builds and multiclassing for sure. Normal humans get a bad rap because they're very dull and don't have any cool powers. They're not useless though.

Exactly my thought, those extra +1 on like 3 saves, skills and so on will lead to many successful saves, skill checks and monsters missing you and so on during your career, but ofc it is not earth shattering or even noticeable but it is a big difference. :)