PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Skald (3.5e bard variant)

Avianmosquito
2017-09-16, 09:10 AM
I'm just going to run this one by the board before it's finalized, I'm sure some tweaks are needed here and there. This is a simple bard variant, with far less magic and far more melee, and the changes are as follows.

Bardic music:
A skald gets 1/2 daily uses of bardic music and does not acquire bardic music until level 2.

Spell levels:
A skald also only gets 1st level spells at 3rd level, 2nd level spells at 6th level, 3rd level spells at 9th level, 4th level spells at 12th level, 5th level spells at 15th level and 6th level spells at 18th level.

Spells per day:
Skald spells per day start at 1 in each spell level when it is acquired, increasing to 2 and then 3 on the next two levels. Cantrips start off at 2, increasing to 3 at 2nd level, 4 at 4th level, 5 at 6th level and finally 6 at 8th level.

Spells known:
Skald cantrips known start off at 2, increasing by 1 at 3rd level and every 3rd thereafter. Spells known start off at 1 when a spell level is acquired, increasing by 1 every third level after the spell level is acquired.

Armor and shields:
Skalds, however, are proficient with light and medium armour and may cast in light and medium armour with no spell failure.

Weapons:
Skalds are proficient with all simple and martial weapons.

Other benefits:
They also have full BAB and all good saves.

Class is ready to tweak.

nikkoli
2017-09-16, 01:45 PM
What's the thematic goal for this? It's melee is only improved by getting full bab, and it's magic is just a bit slower, but still better than 4th level casters by a good bit. And they get medium armor casting. Have you looked at the pathfinder skald?

Avianmosquito
2017-09-17, 11:23 PM
I have, I don't much care for the Pathfinder skald and I don't port things directly from other editions. This skald here is meant to be a proper nordic skald, warrior poet. It's not meant to be a totally unique class, just an alternative version of an existing class. Perhaps I should have made it a prestige class instead, but I really don't care much for prestige classes either.