PDA

View Full Version : Help with an unusual cleric build

Metis
2007-08-13, 12:38 PM
Hello!

In one of the games I am playing in, the party needed a band-aid, as they always do, but didn't really need a secondary fighter (our two rogues together quite capably filled a secondary combat role), so I went straight out, full bandaid.

Later on though, I decided that I'd really like to serve some other purpose as well, but I'm not quite sure what to focus on. The clear option is divination, but I'd need some help for that.

The current build:

Level 6
5 levels of Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Sponaneous Divine Caster variant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm)
1 level of Divine Oracle (prestige class from complete divine).

This current combination gives me a lot more spells then I should have, not to mention an extremely hefty +3 to caster level with divination spells. Since the Knowledge and Oracle domains (each one a bonus domain from my class selection) already give me a fair amount of divination spells, I'm at a loss as to what other divination spells I might want.
I figured that Divine Insight was a pretty good choice for my semi-skill based build (I have some diplomacy, some knowledge, heal, just good stuff to have while no infringing on the wizard or the rogues), so I picked that.

Other than those two domains I have Healing (it was what I was meant to do, after all, so no point in not getting it) and Renewal domains.

Other info:
I have divine metamagic (quicken) so I can get off more spells. I can use it a few times per day.
Other than the obvious healing and divination spells, I tend to focus on combat spells to help out our Knight (who has ungodly strength and AC), or just some general blasting.
I have a fair amount of loose gold at the moment, so suggestions for equipment would be handy (what on earth does a spell heavy cleric need? Periapt of wisdom?)
Oh, also I might mention that there are no gods in this campaign (so all I have to do is pick related domains and I'm good), and I am of the NG alignment.
I have good mental attributes (excluding int, ironically), and fair dex. Everything else is 10.
Human.
There is a good suspicion that we'll be fighting lycanthropses, so if anyone can suggest help for that...
Oh, and I pretty much have access to any and every book I might need. I can use them all too.

So first off, this build obviously lends itself to divination. What kind of divination should I go for, and how should I use it? (I rarely ever use divination spells, so this is extremely new and confusing to me).

Are there strengths I am missing that I can manipulate?

How in the heck can I take this rather tangled mess of a character and make it a coherent and workable whole? I normally play rather optimized builds meant for extreme, straight combat, so this is really weird to me. Put out here it looks far more capable of things then I give it credit for, but again, I'm unused to playing such an indirectly combative character.

Should I continue with Divine Oracle, or is there a better PRC out there for me?

General advice?

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-13, 01:54 PM
well, just a good spell for a cleric to know, Dark Fire, the best blaster spell ever, wish wizards had it.

Leicontis
2007-08-13, 03:27 PM
Aren't there a number of divination spells that give combat bonuses? That's always a good start. Also, as a diviner, the party should be looking to you for advice and guidance (which you in turn should be able to provide) when they're planning their next mission. Divination can also turn you into a plot guide, allowing the DM to use the results of your divinations to guide the party where s/he wants them. As far as equipment, make sure you have a scrying mirror, and maybe look through the Magic Item Compendium for items that boost the effectiveness of your divinations. Perhaps also some sort of item of nondetection, in case someone decides to *69 your scrying?

Metis
2007-08-13, 03:46 PM
I looked for divination combat spells, but there really aren't many of them for a cleric. Not that I could find, anyways.
Know Vulnerabilities and Know Opponent kinda count as combat maybe?

Aximili
2007-08-13, 04:23 PM
Know Vulnerabilities and Know Opponent kinda count as combat maybe?
Kinda? They absolutely cont as combat!

MrNexx
2007-08-13, 04:25 PM
You currently have one of my favorite builds going... I usually switch to Loremaster soon thereafter.

Jack_Simth
2007-08-13, 04:33 PM
Divination is primarily a noncombatant's school. It's about getting info, not hurting things - plot, not hack 'n' slash.

A font of holy water is a must (Cleric focus for Scrying, as opposed to the pool of natural water for a Druid or the mirror for a Sorcerer or Wizard).

You're spontaneously casting Clairaudience/Clairvoyence (Knoweledge-3) - This is your new favorite scouting tool. It's not as infinite as the Rogue's stealth, but it's less risky (for the most part).

You're spontaneously casting Detect Thoughts (Knoweledge-2) - this is a wonderful social tool... provided nobody makes their saves. Focus on your Wisdom.

Detect Secret Doors is ... eh, but it's a 1st level spell. Also, concentration is a standard action - you can walk and Concentrate at the same time. Whenever you're going down a hallway, cast and concentrate.

I'm not familiar with the Oracle domain, but basically, read through all the spells you know and consider when/where they're useful.

Metis
2007-08-13, 06:03 PM
When you think combat spells, you think direct bonuses and benefits. The two "know" spells could also work outside of combat when studying a target or something. It isn't necessarily an in-combat thing. That was my reasoning for saying "kinda."

And I have always had this conception of Loremasters as arcane... I didn't realize they weren't.
*sigh*
Unfortunately, it'll take a while for me to get those three metamagic feats now. I may not be able to get into the class.
We'll see.

Oracle Domain has Identify, Augury, and Divination between levels 1 and 3.

The main problem with being a diviner in this campaign is that it we do primarily combat or dungeon delving. There is maybe a bit of roleplay and negotiating.

And yeah, I like the Clari- spell(s), but the problem with them is that they are stuck in one spot and can't move, and you have to cast it in a known or "obvious" location. My DM was being a little bit picky as to to where I can cast it.
I presume the best thing to do would be to cast it at turns and the like?

skeeter_dan
2007-08-13, 06:05 PM
The Spell Compendium is your friend. Copious amounts of spells.