PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Homebrew Class: Warlock/Paladin

Floopay
2017-09-16, 03:44 PM
Okay, so I'm just going to post some of the raw data I'm going to be using, and I just want to make sure I'm not breaking the game when I build my character. I'm playing with a new DM, who is relatively new to D&D, and completely new to 5e. I've read over 5e rules, and have extensive playing history with past editions; but haven't actually played 5e myself.

So, I just want to make sure my character isn't going to break the game.

Class: Warlock/Paladin

Okay, I'm going with the Warlock, and I'm flavoring the "Raven Queen" to more fit my character.

Instead of a Raven, my character is going to have a Fox. Obviously, the Fox can't fly. Because my character is going the route of "the Good Warlock", I'm asking my DM to allow me the spell list for the "Celestial" over the "Raven Queen", and I think this is partially balanced by not having an avian familiar whom I can scout with. I am not, however, asking for the extra cantrips.

The second thing I may ask for, because my character is going "Mostly Warlock" with "Some Paladin", is for my "Lay on Hands" to function like the Celestial's healing ability. Essentially, I just get a pool of d6s to heal with everyday, instead of a raw 5xLevel heal that can be used to cure diseases and stuff. I think it's a fair balance; but I've never played the system before.

Finally, I'm going to be a "natural weapon" character. My idea was to go "Pact of the Blade". However, the pact wouldn't allow me to summon an actual weapon. What it would do, is coat my character's natural weapons in a protective gauntlet, granting +1 AC, and allowing them to strike as magical weapons.

Race: Kitsune

So my character background is that she's born of a fox-demon type thing. At some point in her past, a group of paladins took her in and exorcised her. When that happen, she got the whole fox familiar thing that acts as identically to the Raven familiar with the "Raven Queen" pact.

So I found a homebrew version of the Hengeyokai from 3.5/4th Edition that was adapted to 5e. I was going to make a few changes to it, and use that for my character.

Ability Score Increase: +2 Dex, +1 Charisma
Size/Speed/Language: Basically the same as a human
Hybrid Form: Unlike the Hengeyokai, my character is stuck in Hybrid form. She can't become a fox, and can't become a human.
Bonus Proficiency: Perception
Heightened Senses: Character gains advantage when using Perception Checks to detect living and organic creatures.
Fox Magic: Can use the dancing lights cantrip at level 1, and the charm person cantrip at level 3.
Natural Weapons: Character has natural claws that do 1d4 slashing damage, and a bite that does 1d4 piercing damage.

Natural Weapons

I've read mixed feelings about others attempting this, so here are the stipulations I gave to the DM. These weapons are weapons, and are not considered unarmed fighting. Which means I cannot use unarmed abilities to enhance or improve these abilities. Additionally, the bite attack can only be used in lieu of one of my other actions. So I cannot take two claw attack, and a bite attack in the same round. Finally, in most scenarios, bite attacks are made with disadvantage. It just doesn't seem practical to bite someone in combat unless I have them grappled, or am put in a position where I'm close enough to bite them easily.

Basically, my character will be dual wielding, and using a slashing dagger. The only huge advantage I see, is that my character can't really be disarmed unless they are...well *dis-armed*.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for reading,
Floopay

Consensus
2017-09-18, 09:32 AM
If you are new to the system, I'd advise you to not try homebrewing a new race and class. I don't understand why you would homebrew this class as it is just a multiclass. You can just be a paladin X/celestial warlock 2 and use the tabaxi race with out homebrewing anything

rbstr
2017-09-18, 10:32 AM
I don't think there's any problem swapping spell lists.
Letting the Paladin's Lay on Hands act like the Celestial's healing light pool is OK too. The celestial gets to use it as a bonus action but it's less healing overall.

The Pact Blade change is no good though. The Pact Blade only gives you a single weapon of any type from the weapon table, lets it do magical damage and makes you proficient in it. Letting you make two weapons for dual wielding doesn't upset much but +1AC is too strong of a feature to give it. If you want a homebrew invocation for +1AC that'd be ok but not on the base feature.

As far as these natural weapons: Look at the official Tabaxi race for that. They don't get to two-weapon fight with their claws. Fundamentally no one gets to make an unarmed strike as two-weapon fighting. The exception is the Monk with it's martial arts feature.
But I guess the dual claw thing is OK as long as you follow the two-weapon fighting rules (no mod on the bonus-action attack.