PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Teach me how to ve the best at Sorceror

ZorroGames
2017-09-16, 08:20 PM
Working on a female Mountain Dwarf Sorceror because... well just because of all the bad press the class gets.

YES, a Mountain Dwarf. NO, do not suggest a different race. :smallwink:

I consider it a challenge. I want to play the class with that race and yet be as viable as reasonably possible. :smallcool:

It has to do with the backstory of the "There is no such Clan anymore" Dankil Clan that ties my characters together.

Single class, no multi-class at all. More challenge! :smallsmile:

So, given the +2 ST and +2 CO what abilities should I point buy?

What are the more effective starting spells? What ASIs/feats should I seriously consider?

I doubt she will ever see level 20 but let us assume that may happen.

Work with me here because I know sooner rather than later I am going to "climb this mountain." :smalltongue:

Edit: Crazy does not begin to cover this wild hair OCD idea!

Varlon
2017-09-16, 08:25 PM
Step one: assuming point buy, put 15s in CON and CHA to round them out to 18 CON/16 CHA later.

ZorroGames
2017-09-16, 08:26 PM
Step one: assuming point buy, put 15s in CON and CHA to round them out to 18 CON/16 CHA later.

Great starting idea! Thanks

Klorox
2017-09-16, 08:35 PM
Storm sorcerer is considered the easiest official sorcerer.

Vorpalchicken
2017-09-16, 08:42 PM
If UA is fair game, you could make a Stone Sorceror and annoy your DM

Easy_Lee
2017-09-16, 08:54 PM
It depends on what you want to do. Sorcerers are their Metamagic and spell selections. Do you want to be a supporter? A blaster? Something else?

ZorroGames
2017-09-16, 08:55 PM
Storm sorcerer is considered the easiest official sorcerer.

I will pull SCAG (right book?) and chevk it out.

ZorroGames
2017-09-16, 08:58 PM
If UA is fair game, you could make a Stone Sorceror and annoy your DM

Regretfully, AL acceptable only. Thanks anyway.

Deleted
2017-09-16, 09:03 PM
Con and Cha

Subtle Spell, Careful Spell, and Quicken or Twin (I prefer Twin).

Blast and Control your way to win.

TheUser
2017-09-16, 09:14 PM
I would direct you to my signature; it doesn't deal with UA but gives the right concepts and beyond just building the character but also execution and levelling advice. Good luck.

ZorroGames
2017-09-16, 09:32 PM
It depends on what you want to do. Sorcerers are their Metamagic and spell selections. Do you want to be a supporter? A blaster? Something else?
Let me review the clan backstory but an "enabler" of others sounds right.

Sigreid
2017-09-16, 09:42 PM
IMO, which I know isn't the popular one on sorcerer, with careful spell they work better as controllers than blasters. The ability to use an AOE control spell and leave your team unaffected is amazing and something only they can do.

For notable spells, at low levels sleep is the bomb but will need replacing as your opponents get more hp. Hypnotic pattern with careful spell is down right unfair.

TheUser
2017-09-16, 09:44 PM
IMO, which I know isn't the popular one on sorcerer, with careful spell they work better as controllers than blasters. The ability to use an AOE control spell and leave your team unaffected is amazing and something only they can do.

For notable spells, at low levels sleep is the bomb but will need replacing as your opponents get more hp. Hypnotic pattern with careful spell is down right unfair.

Sleep doesn't involve a saving throw so it isn't affected by careful spell

Vorpalchicken
2017-09-16, 09:49 PM
Definitely agree with subtle (can be very fun and also counter-proof) and twin. I'd pick heightened over careful except when your DM is a whipplescrumptious fudgemallow delight (where it doesn't matter because the baddy is going to miraculously save behind that screen any way.)

Quicken is better for sorcadins, really.

Ritorix
2017-09-16, 09:54 PM
It could work! I would choose storm sorcerer since you won't need the dragon sorc's AC bonus. Dwarf has you covered with armor already. Go 14 Dex so your medium armor is maxed out. 17 AC with an eventual suit of half plate is decent, and you might score some magical armor along the way.

High con combined with con saves will be nice for keeping concentration up. Twin seems obvious. Maybe go Twin and Empower, or Twin and Subtle, depending on your tastes and DM. Storm sorc's main gimmick is their free movement. That requires a bonus action which Quicken would also use. So I would skip Quicken. That free movement also makes spells like Thunderwave a lot safer to use. Walk up to cast it, bonus action fly 10' to avoid OAs, then walk the remaining move speed away.

She'll have a neat theme too. Storm sorc suggest sailors and ocean themes, but for a dwarf maybe a mountaintop caster bringing down the thunder.

Spell selection may look something like this:
1) sleep and shield
2) +thunderwave
3) -sleep, +shatter, +hold person; twin and empower metas
4) +enhance ability (utility option)
5) -thunderwave, +fireball, +haste

Sigreid
2017-09-16, 09:57 PM
Sleep doesn't involve a saving throw so it isn't affected by careful spell

I'm aware. Sleep is just generally pretty much the most generally powerful 1st level spell so it's almost an automatic pick. Careful Spell kicks in with spells like hypnotic pattern. Sorry if I was confusing.

Beechgnome
2017-09-16, 10:05 PM
With your Armor and toughness you can stand up in a fight. So maybe stand in their midst?

The thematic Earth Tremor might be the spell for you at first level. Dex save, on fail D6 damage per level and everyone in 10 radius falls prone. On a save, nothing happens, so Perfect for Careful Spell. Your allies will appreciate all the prone enemies to smash.

So my suggestion is spells that'll keep you alive and hard to hurt while you wade in and channel your innate earth magic to really debuff the heck out of the bad guys or maybe you can twin to double your buffs and help yourself and an ally.

Risky? Yes. But maybe fun with your Booming or green-flame axe!

Spells like Shield, earth Tremor, Catapult, burning hands, misty step, mirror image, Enlarge/reduce, enhance ability, Pyrotechnics, Maximilian's earthen grasp, erupting earth, Hypnotic pattern, haste, Melf's minute meteors, stoneskin, confusion, wall of fire...

Obviously you won't be able to pick all of those spells, but you should be able to find a nice mix of concentration and non concentration, one's that work careful or twinned or quicken, and attacks that mix earth with fire, like a true daughter of the forge.

JellyPooga
2017-09-17, 02:37 AM

I consider that wasteful. Assuming Point-buy, going for Con 14+2 and Cha 14 gives you much more bang for your buck; same starting modifiers but with a whopping 4pts saved that can be spent elsewhere (such as to buy a 12 in Str, which with your racial +2 gives you 14; a respectable score to be smacking face with!). As for development and future ASI's, yes, having the odd numbers means you can bump them both at level 4, but taking +2 to one score is an option (I'd recommend getting that Charisma up first) and raw numbers mean so much less in 5ed. Feats are very much an option; War Caster and Elemental Adept are popular choices. If there were any "half-feats" that offered +1 to Con or Cha that were worth the effort, I'd consider taking an odd score in one or both...but there isn't.

On Metamagic; do not underestimate just how good Distant Spell is. I consider it one of the best Metamagic options; cheap and flexible.

Athoren
2017-09-17, 08:50 AM
I have acually played a mountain dwarf wild magic sorcerer before and Honestly it was great. I was the tank of the party casting false life to boost my hp, blur and mirror image to avoid getting hit, and other buff spells that i cant remember. I would probably put 14s in str con and dex dump int and wis and a 12 in cha. Subtle and Quicken. Or extended an quicken. As for sorcerer origin i you could go dragon for more hp. Or wildmagic for advatage

Corran
2017-09-17, 09:01 AM
I'd go with:
STR 8 + 2 = 10, DEX 14, CON 15 + 2 = 17, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 15,
as Varlon suggested.
(At 4th level raise cha to 16 and con to 18.)

But, JellyPooga's idea of sth like:
STR 12 + 2 = 14, DEX 14, CON 14 + 2 = 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14,
is also good, assuming you want your character to wield a non-finesse weapon (like a hammer or an axe; sth versatile, to wield it two handed and roll a d10 when you smack enemies with it).
(At 4th level raise cha to 16.)

The first array is more optimal IMO, but a dwarf hammer/axe wielding sorceress is a nice image!

Essentially, after the first 3 levels of play, the differences of the above two arrays comes down to: +2 CON vs +4 STR (18 con & 10 str vs 16 con & 14 str).

If you go with the second array (14 str), make sure to grab athletics as one of your skills, to make the most of your good str score.

You might also want to decide now, if stealth fits your background. Generally, stealth is an optimal pick for sorcerers, and although that holds true for the most part for you too, it comes with at a small cost. If you grab stealth, you will probably want to aim for a breastplate, instead of a halfplate, and that means 1 less AC. I would say that stealth is worth it (given that you have darkvision, and access to the invisibility spell), but if you really want halfplate and that 1 extra point in AC, then you better not include stealth in your skill proficiencies. My point is, that you probably need to think this through and make this choice now, at character creation.

samcifer
2017-09-17, 09:06 AM
CHA really should be your main stat (CON can be secondary) so you have the highest accuracy and spell difficulty you can get, otherwise you'll be either missing or having enemies successfully save against your spells a lot. Don't pick too many concentration spells as you can only concentrate on one per turn. Remember that Careful metamagic doesn't protect against 'half damage on save', so be careful throwing around a lot of AoE spells.

Sir cryosin
2017-09-17, 09:11 AM
So go storm Sorcerer your going to be a hit and run combat style. Have expeditious retreat or haste casted on you. Then run up to enemy quicken a booming blade. Then with action shocking grasp. Then turn around and run away and let them chase you.

Diebo
2017-09-17, 10:02 AM
I'd go Storm Sorcerer. A lot of their benefits come from melee or front-line playing.

I think I'd go for more of a gish type (more of a Eldritch Knight than a traditional sorcerer). Battle-axe, hammer, or staff-wielding. There are a lot of cool staves out there.

STR 17, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14 to start.

At level 4, pick up Heavily Armored for +1 STR and ability to wear heavy armor. With 18 STR you'll be able to hit things in combat.

Maybe take twin to twin the thematically appropriate booming blade, and you would keep up with melee for attacks and damage. Thunderwave will trigger your Tempestous Magic (10 foot movement). Heart of the storm at 6th level combined with booming blade or thunderwave or shatter.

Protect yourself with shield spell, blur, mirror image, and movement based on Tempestous Magic.

Boost CHA with future ASIs to 20.

I'd probably go Quickened as your second metamagic. At 10th pick up heightened. Or switch those two.

ZorroGames
2017-09-18, 07:26 AM
I consider that wasteful. Assuming Point-buy, going for Con 14+2 and Cha 14 gives you much more bang for your buck; same starting modifiers but with a whopping 4pts saved that can be spent elsewhere (such as to buy a 12 in Str, which with your racial +2 gives you 14; a respectable score to be smacking face with!). As for development and future ASI's, yes, having the odd numbers means you can bump them both at level 4, but taking +2 to one score is an option (I'd recommend getting that Charisma up first) and raw numbers mean so much less in 5ed. Feats are very much an option; War Caster and Elemental Adept are popular choices. If there were any "half-feats" that offered +1 to Con or Cha that were worth the effort, I'd consider taking an odd score in one or both...but there isn't.

On Metamagic; do not underestimate just how good Distant Spell is. I consider it one of the best Metamagic options; cheap and flexible.

Actor for CH but with a female Dwarf Sorceror... maybe?