PDA

View Full Version : Gaining sneak attack...

Tyger
2007-08-13, 01:16 PM
without taking it as a class benefit. Possible? Is there an optional rule somewhere, or maybe a magic item?

Bueller? Bueller?

Prince_of_Blades
2007-08-13, 01:21 PM
The Shadow Blade stance Assassin's Stance gives you the Sneak Attack ability, with 2d6 damage. Using the Martial Stance Feat, any character can gain it as early as level 10. (If you have a bonus feat at that level. Otherwise, wait until 12.)

Spiryt
2007-08-13, 01:24 PM
Hunter's Eye - Divination
Gain +1d6 sneak attack damage/3 caster levels for 1 round.

Ranger's spell from Spell Compendium. ( Originally in Draconomicon)

Tyger
2007-08-13, 01:28 PM
Good, good! Keep them coming please!

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-13, 01:34 PM
i thought rogue would be easy to take, just one level, then you can add those fancy spells to it for damage.

Xefas
2007-08-13, 01:38 PM
Well, there is a variant fighter in unearthed arcana that doesn't gain bonus feats, but instead gains the Sneak Attack progression of a Rogue.

I don't think it's too far of a logical leap to say that it's possible to have some sort of:

Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: BAB +1.
Benefit: You gain +1d6 sneak attack as the rogue class feature.
Special: This feat can be taken as a fighter bonus feat. You can take this feat multiple times, it's effects stack with sneak attack bonuses gained from this feat. It's effects do not stack with sneak attack bonuses gained from class features.

Duke of URL
2007-08-13, 02:25 PM
A high-level Factotum can temporarily give him/herself the ability by emulating it as an extraordinary ability from the Rogue class.

Duke of URL
2007-08-13, 02:28 PM
Well, there is a variant fighter in unearthed arcana that doesn't gain bonus feats, but instead gains the Sneak Attack progression of a Rogue.

I don't think it's too far of a logical leap to say that it's possible to have some sort of:

Sneak Attack
Special: This feat can be taken as a fighter bonus feat. You can take this feat multiple times, it's effects stack with sneak attack bonuses gained from this feat. It's effects do not stack with sneak attack bonuses gained from class features.

The only problem with that is that it essentially gives you not only Sneak Attack for any class, but above and beyond that, it makes this epic feat obsolete:

Improved Sneak Attack [Epic]
Prerequisite: Sneak attack +8d6.
Benefit: Add +1d6 to your sneak attack damage.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

SensFan
2007-08-13, 02:30 PM

Sneak Attack
The problem with that is that it renders the UA varient useless. I think part of the thing with UA is that you need to pick either all feats, or all SA. You can't take a few of each.

Xefas
2007-08-13, 02:31 PM
Ah, okay. Well, it was just a suggestion. I can see why it wasn't a good one now...but, I've got nothing else!

BardicDuelist
2007-08-13, 03:18 PM
Well with a 4 level dip in factotum, you can effectively do 4d6 sneak attack once per encounter (or 1d6 four times, or any combination thereof) with the cunning strike ability. This may not be worth a four level investment though.

Without taking levels in a class, martial study is really the only feat I can think of.

yango
2007-08-13, 03:20 PM
Ranger's spell from Spell Compendium. ( Originally in Draconomicon)

Which means its available to any arcane spellcaster with a 2-level dip in Unseen Seer.

Damionte
2007-08-13, 03:24 PM
The correct answer is NO. The only way to gain the sneak attack ability is by having a class that gains sneak attack. There is no sneak attack feat.

Although I think there might me one acception. I vaugley remember a spell from I think complete Adventurer that might give you sneak attack for one round. I could be wrong though. Look through there and see if you see soemthign like that. I may be remembering a similar spell wrong though.

MrNexx
2007-08-13, 03:42 PM
There's also Bayushi's Technique from d20 Rokugan.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-14, 09:06 AM
The only problem with that is that it essentially gives you not only Sneak Attack for any class, but above and beyond that, it makes this epic feat obsolete:

I don't see why that's problematic. As Epic feats go, this one is pretty crappy anyway.

Duke of URL
2007-08-14, 09:49 AM
I don't see why that's problematic. As Epic feats go, this one is pretty crappy anyway.

Well, on the one hand, you have Epic and +8d6 sneak attack requirements. On the other, you have just a +1 BAB requirement. That's a pretty big discrepancy -- even if the epic version is weak, the feat as posed is way too strong.

slexlollar89
2007-08-14, 03:26 PM
also binding a vestige (i dont remember which... maybe marchosias) gives you 3d6 +1d6/4 levels or something.

Curmudgeon
2007-08-15, 07:55 AM
Hunter's Eye - Divination
Gain +1d6 sneak attack damage/3 caster levels for 1 round.

Ranger's spell from Spell Compendium. ( Originally in Draconomicon) I've checked both books and there's no spell with that name. Spell Compendium has Sniper's Eye, but this doesn't grant you sneak attack if you don't already have it.

Falrin
2007-08-15, 08:09 AM
And for the love of god, we don't want Full casters getting into Arcane Trickster/Unseen Seer/Spellwarp Sniper without losing Caster LvLs.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-15, 08:19 AM
Sneak Attack

If my fighter took nothing but this feat up to LVL 20:
+17d6 Sneak attack, here I come!
+18 if I decide to make a human.
Of course, this is far from a sub-optimal build (Hide and Move Silently both being subject to Armor Penalties and both being cross-class for a fighter notwithstanding), but its FAR from bad, either.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-15, 08:19 AM
I've checked both books and there's no spell with that name. Spell Compendium has Sniper's Eye, but this doesn't grant you sneak attack if you don't already have it.

Hunter's Eye is in the PHB II, actually. It grants +1d6 sneak attack/3 CL for one round, with a swift-action casting.
Unseen Seers can pick it up with their Advanced Learning, and eventually persist it; at level 20 with an orange ioun stone or something, that's +7d6 sneak attack all day for an 8th level slot!

I think that'd be pretty terrible, actually, Thanatos. At level 20, you'd never really get to hurt anything worth hurting... of course, at level 4, you could have 6d6 sneak attack, and that's a bit much. But the usefulness of sneak attack soon starts trailing off.

Oh--and it doesn't say it's a fighter bonus feat, so you couldn't take it with your fighter feats.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-15, 08:27 AM
Hunter's Eye is in the PHB II, actually. It grants +1d6 sneak attack/3 CL for one round, with a swift-action casting.
Unseen Seers can pick it up with their Advanced Learning, and eventually persist it; at level 20 with an orange ioun stone or something, that's +7d6 sneak attack all day for an 8th level slot!

I think that'd be pretty terrible, actually, Thanatos. At level 20, you'd never really get to hurt anything worth hurting... of course, at level 4, you could have 6d6 sneak attack, and that's a bit much. But the usefulness of sneak attack soon starts trailing off.

Oh--and it doesn't say it's a fighter bonus feat, so you couldn't take it with your fighter feats.

Yeah... but great for trying to do a massive damage overkill with a friggin' greatsword!

also:

thats exactly what it says.
Still, though, a Greatsword (great) cleaving fighter would be sheer awesomesauce if he ever got his Sneak Attack in at the top of the inititave order.
At fourth-lvl, we're talking, of course.

<EDIT>
I just relised such a combo would be impossible at fourth lvl. My brain is a sleep. Flawed post kept up for your chuckling convience.

Armads
2007-08-15, 08:27 AM
I think the Assassination weapon quality from the Citiscape web enhancement (Urban Tools) gives sneak attack +1d6 for a +1 equivalent.

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-15, 09:12 AM
Yeah... but great for trying to do a massive damage overkill with a friggin' greatsword!

also:

thats exactly what it says.
Still, though, a Greatsword (great) cleaving fighter would be sheer awesomesauce if he ever got his Sneak Attack in at the top of the inititave order.
At fourth-lvl, we're talking, of course.

<EDIT>
I just relised such a combo would be impossible at fourth lvl. My brain is a sleep. Flawed post kept up for your chuckling convience.

I don't blinkin' get it. It's still possible, though ye'll have to ramp it up to 7th level. You get four Fighter levels for the WP(greatsword) and Great Cleave plus others while ye go for the 2d6 Sneak Attack with three levels of Rogue. If'n ye want the sneak attack flat, then just one Rogue level would suffice, I suppose.

Falrin
2007-08-15, 09:47 AM
If you drop in some Flaws you could get some more.

But basicly you could get a Ranger 2/ fighter 18 with:

Take Point Blank, Many & Greater Many shot.
That's 3 feats.
1 from Human
10 from 18 LvLs Fighter
7 from HD
2 From Faws

This gets you 17d6 sneak attack, Full Base Attack, D10 HD, Max move silent & Hide (with 12 int), Greater Manyshot & Rapid Shot to spray your love around.

Now get a few wands of Hunters eye & CLW, a +10 Hide cloak & move silent shoes and a ring of invisibilty & potions/magic a day of greater.