PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Let's optimize that tortle

Klorox
2017-09-16, 11:16 PM
Tortle barbarian (more effective with point buy)

The tortle barbarian gets a 17 ac. To get this ac on a "normal" race, you'd need a total of +7 from DEX and CON. That's a hefty price to pay.

The +2 STR of the tortle is really great for barbarians too.

----
Tortle wizard or warlock. Want to just not worry about getting hit (not that you can afford to worry much anyway, as I'd still take shield when I could). Many people played mountain dwarf warlocks and wizards just for the medium armor. Shells are better.

-----
Tortle monks? Dump DEX, go STR/WIS? Heck, it could work.
-----

Tortle bards fill the same niche as mountain dwarf bards. We're just loving that AC.
-----

IDK how the tortle shell works with druids and wild shape, but it's pretty cool with a land druid.

What else y'all got?

Naanomi
2017-09-16, 11:28 PM
Tortle shell doesn't negatively influence stealth... Strength-based rangers/rogues; weird trickery clerics...

Sir cryosin
2017-09-17, 07:02 AM
So with there natural AC if you went fighter grab a shield and fighting style defense for the +1 AC. Is say you gain +1 to AC while wearing armor a shield is considered armor. So if you can do that at level one 20 AC.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-17, 09:18 AM
The real power of no longer needing dex on your barbarians is the ability to MC with classes that were previously MAD.

I played a Tortle Barbarian 1/Paladin 3 at my AL game yesterday. Rage and smite, dealing 1d8+7 (rage and dueling style) damage as soon as third level with a couple smites making it 3d8+7. It was a blast.

MrFahrenheit
2017-09-17, 11:16 AM
Quick aside: for those of us who homebrew their worlds and don't need the entire supplement, is there somewhere that we can find information on just the tortle race?

Naanomi
2017-09-17, 11:26 AM
Quick aside: for those of us who homebrew their worlds and don't need the entire supplement, is there somewhere that we can find information on just the tortle race?
The (watermarked) preview has the full race details

http://watermark.drivethrurpg.com/pdf_previews/221716-sample.pdf

MrFahrenheit
2017-09-17, 11:30 AM
The (watermarked) preview has the full race details

http://watermark.drivethrurpg.com/pdf_previews/221716-sample.pdf

Ah! Wasn't obvious to me on mobile. Appreciate it.

Foxhound438
2017-09-17, 12:44 PM
Tortle shell doesn't negatively influence stealth... Strength-based rangers/rogues; weird trickery clerics...

I've always wanted to make a polearm fighting ranger and take all the bad hunter options (hoard breaker, whirlwind, multiattack devense, stand against the tide) and spin through the enemy ranks like none other

Sir cryosin
2017-09-17, 12:56 PM
Can make a cool melee Druid 19 AC with a shield go land Druid grasslands get haste AC 21 with 2 attacks dip 1 level into war cleric get weapons and bonue action attack giving 3 attacks. Or a cleric and Druid mc and use spiritual weapon and flame blade.

JAL_1138
2017-09-17, 01:27 PM
Sorcadin that doesn't need to start Paladin for heavy armor, maybe? Keeps Con save proficiency from Sorcerer and doesn't need to take a feat for it. Downside, you'd start at Cha 15 or 14 instead of 16, and the +1 Wis isn't especially helpful. But a lot of what you're casting will be self-buffs and party buffs so your save DC won't be as vital, and the +2 Str will help you land hits with Booming Blade.

Bonus: go Draconic sorcerer and at Sorc 14 you become a Parakoopa.
https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fantendo/images/f/f5/Parakoopa.png/revision/latest?cb=20120501175348