PDA

View Full Version : PF Untinker

Ralasha
2017-09-17, 01:21 AM
While I may find the new table coding to be atrocious, and I have been absent from this section of the forums for some time... I have had a rather large nagging to get a class out for some weeks.

A few years ago I made a badly attempted execution of a class intended to act as a tertiary spellcaster. Predictably, while it likely had potential, it failed.

The idea was to create a class that was in effect a dedicated disenchanter. Able to counter spells, or remove various magical effects or charges either temporarily or permanently. This class would then gain the ability to cast said spells or magical effects as though they were a sorcerer until all absorbed charges of said spells were spent.

This class being a tertiary caster, has no known spells and no traditional spell slots, and cannot benefit from any metamagic or magic altering feats, features, or racial abilities modifying the absorbed spell unless the untinker also possesses the previously mentioned feat, feature or ability... Except for metamagic rods or other Similar items or effects, which the Untinker may use.

The Untinker has a pool of spell levels, starting with 4 + Int Mod, and gaining 2 + 1/2 Untinker Level (rounded down) per level. A level 4 Untinker with a Natural 18 Int would thus have: 18 spell levels.

A level 4 Untinker with a 14 Int would have: 16.

Spell Levels are used to store spells according to Spell Level. Magic missile would use 1, Fireball would use 3. Etc.

An example of the desired mechanic follows:

A potion of (cure light wounds or other) healing: The untinker drinks the potion, yet instead of gaining the benefit of this potion, the untinker stores the spell (in the appropriately leveled spell slot). The untinker may then at a later time cast the stored spell absorbed from the potion.

The Untinker makes a caster level check against a scroll (DC 10 + Spell Level + Caster Level). On success the Untinker absorbs the spell, placing it in the appropriately leveled spell slot.

The Untinker attempts to absorb the spell affecting him. He makes an opposed caster level check against the target spell. On success the Untinker stores the spell, on failure the Untinker is effected by the spell as normal. If the Untinker lacks sufficient spell levels to absorb the spell the Untinker takes damage of 1d6 per spell level + 1 per caster level of the caster.

This ability does not work on SU but may work on SpL.

Thoughts?

Jormengand
2017-09-17, 08:13 AM
While I may find the new table coding to be atrocious

I have no particular comment on your class idea but I would point out that if you set the PifRO class table generator (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/) to PIFBB output, or create an old-style giantitp table and use the makaze-kanra forum table converter (http://makaze-kanra.tumblr.com/ForumTableConverter) to change it, you can make a table for your class fairly easily. There are other ways, such as copying a blank example table from the base class contest thread and using WYSIWYG mode (that little A/A button in the top-left) to do it, or using a find-replace for | to [/td] and filling out the start of each line with [td] and then end with manually to convert an old table, but those two are the ones I'd suggest.

(What I personally do is use the PifRO generator to make the old-style table, change it into a table with a header and then get the makaze-kanra converter to change that, then add the alt1 and alt2 styles manually.)

nonsi
2017-09-17, 01:07 PM

Here you go...

Table: <CLASS NAME>

Saves
LevelBABFRWSpecial
1st+0+0+0+0 Special 1
2nd+1+0+0+0 Special 2
3rd+1+1+1+1 Special 3
4th+2+1+1+1 Special 4
5th+2+1+1+1 Special 5
6th+3+2+2+2 Special 6