PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Awaken Self (divination attack/utility spell)

rferries
2017-09-17, 04:23 AM
Awaken Self
Divination [Force][Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

This spells bestows you with magical influence over both minds and matter. For the duration of the spell, you may use clairaudience/clairvoyance, detect thoughts, dream, fly, mage armour (self only), modify memory, shield, suggestion, and telekinesis at will as spell-like abilities. Whenever you use one of these powers, you must wait 1d4 rounds before using any of them again.

Focus
A diamond costing 1,500 gp.

nonsi
2017-09-17, 05:09 PM

Now that's what I call "squeezing that lemon dry" :smallcool:

I'd reduce casting time to 1 minute though.

rferries
2017-09-17, 07:54 PM

Now that's what I call "squeezing that lemon dry" :smallcool:

I'd reduce casting time to 1 minute though.

Ha! Revised.

Anymage
2017-09-18, 06:28 AM
The good news is that it's not overpowered. Short recharge use of the Violent Thrust option for Telekinesis is probably the cheapest thing you can do with your spell, and that's not excessive for an eighth level spell. It might even be a bit underpowered.

The bad news is that Mental Pinnacle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm) already exists. "Psionic" already has a very specific meaning in D&D. If the DM likes them, he'll probably want to go with the system as it exists, power points and augmentations and all. If the DM doesn't, asking for the ability to let your magic unlock mind powers will probably get turned down on the basis of flavor alone.

rferries
2017-09-18, 07:06 AM
The good news is that it's not overpowered. Short recharge use of the Violent Thrust option for Telekinesis is probably the cheapest thing you can do with your spell, and that's not excessive for an eighth level spell. It might even be a bit underpowered.

The bad news is that Mental Pinnacle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm) already exists. "Psionic" already has a very specific meaning in D&D. If the DM likes them, he'll probably want to go with the system as it exists, power points and augmentations and all. If the DM doesn't, asking for the ability to let your magic unlock mind powers will probably get turned down on the basis of flavor alone.

Yeah I knew about mental pinnacle - but it's more an equivalent to transformation (i.e. a combat-themed spell as opposed to a utility spell). Awaken self would be useful more for its duration than anything (plus telekinesis and suggestions, I suppose). I've edited the psionic part to "mental powers"; since the spell is duplicating core spells I can't see a DM objecting now. Thanks for the comments!