PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Keen mind(feat) and spell memorization

Lord8Ball
2017-09-17, 11:51 AM
If you have the keen mind feat and lost your spell book would it still be possible to memorize the spells in that period in which you still retain memory of it. Or be able to transcribe your spell on another spellbook based on that memory.
K e e n M i n d
You have a mind that can track time, direction,
and detail with uncanny precision. You gain the
following benefits.
• Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum
o f 20.
• You always know which way is north.
• You always know the number of hours left before the
next sunrise or sunset.
• You can accurately recall anything you have seen or
heard within the past month.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-17, 11:54 AM
If you have the keen mind feat and lost your spell book would it still be possible to memorize the spells in that period in which you still retain memory of it. Or be able to transcribe your spell on another spellbook based on that memory.
K e e n M i n d
You have a mind that can track time, direction,
and detail with uncanny precision. You gain the
following benefits.
• Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum
o f 20.
• You always know which way is north.
• You always know the number of hours left before the
next sunrise or sunset.
• You can accurately recall anything you have seen or
heard within the past month.

Transcribing a prepared spell into a new spellbook is always allowed (feat or no) IIRC. Preparing a spell from a remembered spellbook...dunno about the RAW here. I'd probably allow it since a wizard should be actively reviewing his spellbook on a constant basis anyway, so he'd have it in memory with the feat.

Note: This edition uses the wording "prepare" not "memorize" for spells. Small difference, but just to be precise.

90sMusic
2017-09-17, 12:22 PM
Realistically, absolutely.

Mechanically... No. It is pretty clear you have to copy spells from one book to another, even though by all logic and reason it should work.

Under wizard spell casting it says "Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell"

Since that is all there is to it, memorization, you could argue Keen Mind realistically would allow you to know how to cast all of your spells without having to choose which ones to prepare, because as long as you went through each spell at least once a month, you should retain all that knowledge on how to cast it.

But alas, D&D doesn't like to follow logic.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-17, 01:11 PM
I'd rule that the Wizard would be able to make a new Spellbook by use of his memorized spells.
Not cast them like a Sorcerer or the like, but transcribe them into a new one? Sure. It still takes the same time and money to do it.

Slipperychicken
2017-09-17, 01:16 PM
I'd consider allowing a wizard with keen mind to not need a spellbook to prepare or scribe spells that he's seen in written form no more than 30 days ago. Still has the normal limits on preparation though.