PDA

View Full Version : Celestial (Former Undying Light) Invocations?

Azther
2017-09-17, 01:51 PM
I noticed there aren't any invocations solely for the Undying Light/Celestial Warlock Patron. What do you guys think of these ones?

Heavenly Fires Of Astora

Prerequisite: The Undying Light Patron

You learn the Fire Bolt cantrip, if you didn't already know it. When you hit a creature with this spell, you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 radiant damage to the target per spell level.

Higher Guiding Light

Your Arcane Focus shines with the gleaming light of the Celestial Planes. You gain +1 to Ranged Spell Attacks made with it.

Healing Flames of Anor

Whenever you regain hit points while you're under direct sunlight or at least 10 feet away of magical light or fire, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you.

Silkensword
2017-09-29, 06:58 AM
I'm gonna have a look since this is something I had been thinking about for a while myself.

I noticed there aren't any invocations solely for the Undying Light/Celestial Warlock Patron. What do you guys think of these ones?

Heavenly Fires Of Astora

You learn the Fire Bolt cantrip, if you didn't already know it. When you hit a creature with this spell, you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 radiant damage to the target per spell level.

Expending a spellslot for 2d8 damage alone is not a great value proposition, given that Warlocks only have access to so few spell slots.

Higher Guiding Light

Your Arcane Focus shines with the gleaming light of the Celestial Planes. You gain +1 to Ranged Spell Attacks made with it.

Not a bad idea in principle, but a +1 to ranged spell attacks for an invocation seems underpowered.

Healing Flames of Anor

Whenever you regain hit points while you're under direct sunlight or at least 10 feet away of magical light or fire, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you.

I like this one best out of the lot. It fits the theme of the Celestial warlock really well- however, I think this should also apply to people healed by the healing light of the warlock!

For the first two, I think you could have another look at the theme and feel of a celestial warlock. Invocations that help them be competent healers, closer to what a cleric can do, are a lot more interesting to a celestial warlock than added blasting potential- if someone wants to play a DPR warlock, there are much better options after all!

Consensus
2017-09-29, 08:35 AM
Heavenly Fires Of Astora

Higher Guiding Light

Healing Flames of Anor

Heavenly Fires of Astoria: This one seems like it wouldn't be used much, since it is more high risk than an EB and costs a slot to
have any real value. At fifth level, EB makes 2 attacks at +7 1d10+4 (for a warlock who bumped cha at lv 4) for the same warlock firebolt makes one attack at +7 2d10, and then add 6d8. However, for the same slot, the warlock could have hexed and gotten +1d6 to all EB strikes for 8 hours. It just doesn have a good opportunity cost, and would only be useful is you needed tons of damage in a very short amount of time on one creature.

Higher Guiding Light: This one I donīt like. It is pretty much a mandatory invocation tax because it's just a straight upgraded to EB. If this was in the game the standard warlock would be Celestial with this invocation and AB. It further exacerbates the warlock 2 dip without even having to sell your soul and a better chance to hit. This is also way more useful to EB than the previous invocation.

Healing Flames of Anor: This essential gives the celestial better healing than the Paladin. Now this isn't a really big problem (since tranquility monk), but it would definitely be the 3rd invocation I'd take after AB and Higher Guiding Light. Best of the three. EDIT: didn't notice this only applied to the warlock, I now think it's underpowered.